Start by marking “Atomic Robo & The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne” as Want to Read:
Atomic Robo & The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

Atomic Robo & The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

(Atomic Robo #1)

In 1923, Nikola Tesla's career is in its twilight until he unveils a robot with automatic intelligence -- ATOMIC ROBO!

Granted full American citizenship in return for his participation in a top secret military operation in 1938, ATOMIC ROBO goes on to found TESLADYNE -- a think tank dedicated to exploring the fringes of scientific inquiry. After decades of dealing with
Published May 18th 2016 by Tesladyne (first published June 25th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Robo & The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

Start your review of Atomic Robo & The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne
Forrest
It must be really tough to be a comic book writer/graphic novelist in this day and age. First, there's the proliferation of comics on the internet, which draws an attention-deficit society away from hard copy books in general, let alone graphic novels. Second, and intimately tied to the first, is the sheer volume of self-published graphic novels (in hard copy form, I mean), which makes it easier for your work to get lost in the crowd. And while there is a lot of dross out there, there is a lot ...more
Sam Quixote
Atomic Robo is a robot that fights baddies and makes jokes and stuff. He fights the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s; he fights giant monster ants; he fights bizarrely anachronistic mechanised pyramids in Egypt; he goes to Mars for some reason; and he fights a brain in a jar on a giant robot body. And thats it!

Heres the thing: Im a big Hellboy fan and for that reason I couldnt enjoy Atomic Robo - its WAY too similar! Robo punches and shoots stuff, he fights Nazis, he fights monsters, he has a
Megan Baxter
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Atomic Robo. I fell in love with it after the first one I read, on Free Comic Book Day, in which there is a evil mad scientist velociraptor running through the corridors as walls are being torn down around him yelling "DO NOT BLAME ME IT IS NOT MY FAULT." [Grammar as presented, which for some reason makes it even funnier.]

In the meantime,
Chad
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Just discovered Atomic Robo over the weekend and have already plowed through 4 volumes. The premise is similar to Hellboy with science gone wrong instead of the supernatural. The stories are fun, witty, action packed and often have a pulp feel. I love that Atomic Robo is rivals with Stephen Hawking. The art is quite good, reminiscent of a Michael Avon Oeming or Ryan Ottley. This volume consists of a bunch of single issue adventures jumping around through the 80+ years of Atomic Robo's past.
Mike
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Hah! Very much The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures as a robot created by Nikolai Tesla, with a dash of Challengers of the Unknown stirred in.

plus... this:

Cheese
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Atomic Robo comic, and I must say i'm impressed.

This was really good fun. He's like an Indiana Jones inside a Robot and acts in a similar fashion to Hellboy in some ways, but always to do with science instead of the supernatural.

Good fun, I might read a few more of these to see if there is more of a storyline as this was just lots of shorts stories like Hellboy.
Ed Erwin
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sf, humor
He a robot! and a super-hero! and a wise-ass! Pure fun.
Andrew
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
Quite fun. It is Hellboy, but more of a tech focus than folklore. And more comedy. A lot more comedy. Makes me think of The Amazing Screw-On Head actually.
Whitney Lynn
The creators are clearly fans of Mike Mignola, and so fans of Mignola will feel a familiar structure and natural fondness for the style, material and pacing.

With that said, Hellboy could practically step in for Atomic Robo; think Hellboy and BPRD, but remove the paranormal feel and replace with a more hard feeling science/tech.

With that said, I love Hellboy, so that certainly wasn't a dealbreaker. Unfortunately Atomic Robo has a few drawbacks, which were enough for me not to pick up the second
Dan
This is a bonkers graphic novel in which we see the Tesla made robot Atomic Robo and his fightin' (without a 'g' apparently) scientists as they take on all sorts of weird threats across the world from Nazis to giant ants to moving pyramids. When I said bonkers I meant bonkers.

Clevinger and Wegener have successfully created a great comic book which isn't dark, an unusual feat these days. In many ways it fits all the traditional comic book ideals- lots of action, lots of impossible things that
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a zany and big-hearted book, with a metal hero bounding around and shooting ray guns at robots and giant insects and mummies, and I love it. I've heard many comparisons to Hellboy, but since I've never read that title, I can only talk about this book on its own merits. The art, for example, is terrific, very simple figures with big ears and strong jawlines, and there is a lot of energy on the page. Which is pretty important when the writing has such a similarly high energy level. There ...more
Mike
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic. A fresh, funny, smart writer and an artists who allows the story to have *fun* while they're running around the world dealing with bizarre crises and disasters.

Reminds me in all the good ways of The Goon (for the brilliantly-inventive writing) and Chew (for the zany-fun art), with a puff of Hellboy for the sardonic inevitability infusion.

For a living robot, Atomic Robo has a great, dry sense of humour and "plays by his own rules". Yes, I said it.

Ive just ordered up the next four
Brian
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action Science!

If you have not read this...you have failed.

Sesana
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit like a science fantasy pulp version of Hellboy.
Chompa
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I completely loved this book. It is a bit quirky and assumes a lot, but that works in its favor. The odd way its stories end at first irked me, but in hindsight - that's part of the charm.
Dylan McIntosh
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witty and wisecracking. The way I love my robots.
Neil R. Coulter
Blah. It's like a whole bunch of other things, but with nothing new or interesting to add. The artwork in the unfinished (I guess?) stories at the end of the book is a lot more interesting than the artwork in the main part of the book.
Tym
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the art, the world, the humor if it was a bit more of a character arc it would have been a perfect 5. Cant wait to read the next ...more
Jordan
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie_comics
I've heard plenty of good buzz about this book, but it didn't quite live up to the hype for me. The stories are fast paced and energetic, with several moments of very funny dialogue. The art is also really sharp, with clean panels and a natural flow to the action. There was just too much happening in too short a time. The six issues making up this volume are basically stand-alone tales, but they also kind of run together. The jumps in time and setting are a bit jarring and left me unsure where ...more
C. Hall
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though it would be easy to describe Atomic Robo as a science fiction interpretation of the basic concept underlying Mike Mignola's Hellboy (there are definitely some surface similarities), to do so without further examining Atomic Robo is to do a grave disservice to the charm and energy of Clevinger's creation.

Atomic Robo is a journey through a world inspired by the entire breadth of science fiction, with special emphasis on its pulp heyday (Nazi robots) and the Atomic Age excesses of the 1950s
Dan
Lots of great funny bits and also hints of some neat sci-fi/fantasy ideas. Its shortcomings are as follows:

So far, the robotic nature of the protagonist is mostly used for jokes without any real thought given into what it's like to be a robot. I suppose this is an unfair standard for the genre, but it's glaring when one reads Hofstadter at the same time.
The very interesting array of quirky conflicts making up Robo's life all suggest great stories, but the comic moves quickly between them,
Shane Knysh
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great graphic novel.

All the stories are well done - the first story being my favorite in the compilation. The art is fantastic! I liked how the current day stories are mixed with the flashbacks and creation stories. The short alternate stories at the end of the book were my least favorite but still well done. The art and flavor of these short (2-3 page) stories is quite different form the main story arcs.

The pin up art and sketchbook art in the back of the book was a pleasant surprise. I liked
Bert
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-book
The adventures of a wisecracking robot built by Nikola Tesla in 1923. What else do you need to know? Start reading!

On a serious note: a well-drawn comic that loses some of its attractiveness due to the fragmented storytelling: instead of an ongoing tale you get episodes from the robot's history, some of them connected through one recurring baddie. Other than the robot the rest of the cast is barely fleshed out (also because the stories span 70+ years), though there is a hint that we'll learn
Michele
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchased on Comixology.
Atomic Robo is something akin to a robotic Indiana Jones. Originally built by Nikola Tesla to assist him in his experimentations, Atomic goes on to create a company whose purpose is to protect the world from the "weird" stuff that crops up.
Paul McNamee
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More fun than a comic should legally be allowed!

If you like Hellboy, you will like Atomic Robo!
Christopher Mclean
Very entertaining, fast paced read with excellent, witty dialogue, decent art and a few nice gaming references to top it off.
Kelli
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An awesome Tesla-designed robot fighting villainy throughout history with great quips & plenty of mad science? Yes please!
Liam
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think comic series get better than this.
Alex Murphy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superheroes
Ive read bits and pieces of Atomic Robo for years, but I finally decided to get the first collection of stories.

I really like Atomic Robo, I enjoy the way he is written, with a sense of wit and sarcasm, and as a character I find him fun and exciting. The sense of adventure and fun, mixing in fantasy and sci-fi elements, make up most of these stories, with each one different enough from the previous. While the secondary characters never get a real chance to shine this doesnt give ruin the
David(LA,CA)
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see why so many reviewers have made comparisons between this series and Hellboy. An outsider to humanity is called upon to fight evil (usually including Nazis). The main difference between the two is the nature of what they fight. Hellboy is focused on supernatural and mythological threats, where Atomic Robo deals with dangerous science. A part of me could imagine a world where the two of the exist at the same time, just never running into each other due to the nature of their focuses.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Wild Storm, Vol. 4
  • Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever
  • East of West, Vol. 8
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships
Brian Clevinger is best known as the author of the most popular sprite webcomic, and one of the most popular webcomics overall, 8-Bit Theater. He is also the author of the self-published novel Nuklear Age. Clevinger has recently received attention for his Eisner-nominated print comic Atomic Robo.

Claiming that his "favorite comics are the ones where the jokes are on the reader," Clevinger is an

Atomic Robo (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • Atomic Robo: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)
  • Atomic Robo: The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific