Start by marking “How to Be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life

How to Be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  14,411 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews

Told in her hilarious, bold voice that’s inspired over nine million fans, and using stories
Published March 28th 2017 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Bawse, please sign up.
Wilder Because it's nonfiction, the "reading level" (vocabulary and such) isn't quite the same thing as "usefulness." For example, while teenagers can read t…moreBecause it's nonfiction, the "reading level" (vocabulary and such) isn't quite the same thing as "usefulness." For example, while teenagers can read this and get a better grip on responsibility, it actually strikes me as something for twenty-somethings who want to plant their feet more firmly and act with more agency in their lives.

That said, I think anyone is able to read it and may draw things from it! It's really about bettering yourself.(less)
Niti True dat Athena. Wish I could read it right now though....
The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire by Dan HowellThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenA Work in Progress by Connor FrantaGirl Online by Zoe SuggBinge by Tyler Oakley
Books By YouTubers
205 books — 661 voters
Sorry Not Sorry by Naya RiveraBournemouth Boys and Boscombe Girls by Danny WinterHow to Be a Bawse by Lilly SinghYear of Yes by Shonda RhimesChoosing Glee by Jenna Ushkowitz
Memoirs
83 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

·  14,411 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews

Start your review of How to Be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life
Cristina Monica
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Initially, I didn’t want to read this book. I mean, look at it. Look at the cover. Look at the title. Look at the made up word, ‘‘bawse.’’

Are you kidding me?

But despite the cheesiness and silliness that sometimes arises, it is a precious self-help book. It really does give helpful advice and motivates you to wake up at 6 am in the morning to conquer life.

It’s also surprisingly honest. I had no idea who this YouTube sensation was before I started reading the book. And I only cared to check her o
Miranda Reads
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

Lilly Singh - YouTuber, Late-night Talk-show host and internet personality - has just exploded onto the literary scene with her how-to book.

Ever wonder how Lilly manages it all?

How she got to the top?

How she keeps herself going despite the incredibly high expectations and stress levels?

Wonder no more.
IF YOU CAN’T CONTROL PEOPLE, THEN CONTROL YOUR REACTION TO THEM. IF YOU CAN’T CONTROL A SITUATION
Raj
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
In looking for reviews about this book, I noticed most of the comments are by many of Lilly's passionate fans who admit to not having read the book yet. If you want to hear an honest review about the content of the book, continue reading below:

Overall, this was a quick and simple read. Each of the 50 chapters are short and to the point, maybe 5 pages each at most. However, I also thought this may have been one of the reasons I couldn't give the book a higher rating. Singh offers a lot of great a
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

THIS BOOK IS GOLD. IT HELPS ME SO MUCH. Just when I needed it the most, reading this book is like having Lilly near you as a friend and a supporter to reassure you and guide you through your life. I believe we all learn best from our own experience and this memoir a personal coach speaking from her own experience and the result is amazing.

description

The writing? TOTALLY HONEST TO HER STYLE. It’s funny, witty and familiar. She doesn’t need to pretend to be someone else, speaking like Shakespeare or whatever
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Punky enough to get to my reading list. Not coherent enough to get a higher rating from me. All the Youtube references soon got irritating (if I want Youtube, I won't be reading a book, I'll switch to Youtube, thank you).
All the graphics were a bit much too much.
Generally, I prefer my books to be more well-rounded and substantial. This book had a hell of a lot of promise and underdelivered in a drastic way. The girl spends entirely too much time on internet and videos. I do realise it's her wo
Huma Rashid
I thought this was cheesy, annoying, and overdone even BEFORE she made some ridiculous crack about millenials being entitled, which is such a trite thing to say that ignores all social, political, and financial nuance that I am not even going to get into it. I enjoyed her story about Selena Gomez and the importance of authenticity ... but of course she wasn't going to bring attention to all the ways Selena Gomez is highly problematic including her bullshit Indian/"Tribal" cultural association bu ...more
Whitney Atkinson
I read this on audiobook over the span of a few days just because it was good clean fun, but it's gonna be something that I won't even remember the message of in 2 months. Lilly's advice is genuine, but nothing new. Her messages also seem to be driven by the fact that *she's* succeeded, so her if everyone just follows in her footsteps and does the things she does, they'll be famous too!! But reading this sometimes felt like she was giving advice to 12 year olds trying to avoid drama rather than ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***I bought the book again***

Freaking loved this book!!!
This is so going to help me throughout my life specially through my weakest moments in the coming years.
There are many self help books and celebrity memoirs/auto/biographical ones to deal with being out there in front of everyone exposing yourself to the public when your profession involves displaying your work or content through all kinds of social media but this one truly speaks to me!
You really don't need to read the whole book to actual
Aadhya
Apr 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No-one.
This book will not teach you how to conquer life.

I could finish this book in one day because-
1. I was apparently so desperate for any form of motivation that I resorted to an illustrated book filled with platitudes whose targeted audience seems to be teenagers who have way too much money to spare.
2. This book was more like a series of 10 minute YouTube videos than a profound piece of literature.

I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from this book except for the fact that it wasn't writ
Shruti
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5

My admiration for Lilly is represented accurately by the water that gushes out of the doors:

I have loved and looked up to Lilly Singh since I was fifteen years old. To see someone that looked like me, conquering YouTube—an industry which prominently featured white men—made me believe that anything was possible (She is called Superwoman for a reason, duh).

Lilly inspired and continues to inspire me and millions of people around the globe with her sense of humor, kindness and #GirlLove.
Manisha
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ONLY fans of Lily Singh
Actual review: 1.75

This was the kind of book that is entertaining but hollow. The 'pearls of wisdom' are really just a few sayings here and there that seem good when you listen to it in a hilarious voice, but without that element, it falls flat.

The humour was the only (somewhat) redeeming quality of this book that stopped me from giving it a one star review.

It lacks depth and it lacks interest. It makes it seem like barely any effort went into creating this book. It's far from memorable. Even
Jack Reynolds
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first discovered Lilly Singh (aka iiSuperwomanii) at 14 in December 2013, with her video Things Students Lie About. Ever since then, I've laughed and truly enjoyed watching her content, seeing as she's grown into a powerhouse in the YouTube community. I remember a period of time where I watched a collection of her videos before I went to bed every night because they relaxed me enough to go to sleep. She made me discover the side of YouTube where creators roam and helped me know what to watch i ...more
Muse-ic ♬
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay here's the deal:

I love Lilly Singh! I am a big fan of hers and I watch all her videos.

That being said, I do NOT worship the ground she walks on. I'm NOT approaching this book and review as a fangirl and I am NOT approaching it as a biased party. Part of this may have to do with the fact that she stated in a video several years ago that she doesn't believe in global warming. I don't know if this opinion has changed as of late, but it made me lose some respect for her.

I think this book is gen
Elsa Rajan Pradhananga
Borderline narcissistic. Entire pages dedicated to quotes, the author's pictures and the title of each chapter, probably is what sets this book apart from run of the mill self help books. The saving grace is anecdotes conveyed with the superwoman kind of humor. She is evidently confident about her pearls of wisdom on how to become an epic boss, but they feel rather incoherent, superficial and fragmented.
Yodamom
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars
Quick too simple chapters. I would have liked a bit more, well a lot more time spent on her advice. It read like a list that I could find online lacking most of her charm. Yes, there was some there, but it was so brief. I bought this for my daughters but ended up reading it after they didn't finish it. All of us were disappointed, it was too little substance and a lot of cheesy lines. Where was the life changing advice ?
Brooke Mallory
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
"If your last two boyfriends cheated on you, maybe there is something you are doing to cause that."'

She literally wrote that. Are you kidding me!?!? That is disgusting and I am so sad for all the young women who are going to read that and may be influenced to think they are some how at fault for the actions of an abusive, lying, cheating asshat.

The only reason I finished this book was to help my 2018 Reading Challenge numbers.
Joy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I'm not sure how I came across this book. I had never heard of Lilly before but I thought her book looked like fun so I checked it out of the library. I don't think I'm the target audience for this book as she is only 28 years old and I'm old enough to be her mother! Nevertheless I enjoyed Lilly's take on life and how she became so successful as a YouTube star.

The book is full of gorgeous pictures of Lilly. It was a fun read and she does have some good advice to offer.
Veronica Morfi
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing and inspiring and motivational book! I have been a fan of Lilly a.k.a iiSuperwomanii for the past 4 years and listening to her book narrated by her was an amazing experience. Would highly recommend it to people that want to get their lives in order, learn how to focus to achieve their goals, and get their priorities straight. A true guide on how to be a Bawse!
Wael Margheni
I am proud of myself for managing to finish this book and not throwing it aside!
Frankly, this is not what I expected from Lilly Singh (||Superwoman||)! I really thought that I was going to have a very good time reading this book. But I didn’t! and I am a little bit disappointed.
Like many people who live on Youtube, I happen to be a big fan of Lilly Singh and her videos. She really does make me laugh and I have a very good time watching her videos. And of course, I knew she was releasing a book a
Mariah Roze
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
"From actress, comedian, and YouTube sensation Lilly Singh (aka ||Superwoman||) comes the definitive guide to being a bawse—a person who exudes confidence, reaches goals, gets hurt efficiently, and smiles genuinely because they’ve fought through it all and made it out the other side."

I really enjoyed this book and was able to take a lot away from it.
Houda
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I used to like Lilly, I think she's funny, hardworking, nice and honest.
But I after I read this, now I LOVE HER. Just reading from her point of view and living her adventures since she started doing YouTube and witnessing her journey through all of it, PLUS having her giving advice, and how she's trying to make us learn from her mistakes just made me respect her even more.
I thought this book is very inspiring and empowering and true to its title , it does give you that push you need to feel that
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell
Mar 27, 2017 marked it as will-read-if-cheap-or-freebie
Lilly Singh is the only YouTube comedian I've watched who I actually find funny, so I'm really excited to read this.
Jenny Baker
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and inspiring.
B.
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I bought this book as soon as it came out when I was high on Lilly Singh 3 years ago. I mean I just discovered her and became an instant fan, and found out that she has just released a book. So of course I had to buy it.

But after 3 years, now I don't remember a single advice she told in that book. I don't know if it's her book isn't good or it's just that self help books are not for me. I loved seeing some of her personal anecdotes here and there, but the advices? I didn't care that much and can
Elpida.Stas
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am a Fan of Lilly Singh. But that doesn't mean I blindly follow everything she does. And your book Lilly was a huge disappointment.
Just because superwoman is a successful youtuber doesn't also make her a life advisor and it definitely doesn't make her a writer. Her book is the proof.

The entire thing is a "guide " on becoming a bawse a word created by her which basically is a boss but better. There are several steps ,described in 2 pages each and 2 more of a title and a picture. So yeah you g
chloe ♡
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My friend went to Lilly's show and got this book. She gave it to me as a birthday gift, and until now I haven't had the time to read it. I finished it in a few days (it was so hard to put down because it's so good!).

Lilly's an amazing YouTuber. She's also an awesome writer. And a great Bawse.

Lilly's a very successful person and she has lots of friends who are super successful as well. In this book, Lilly shares her secrets to success and talks about things that happen in her friends' lives. Li
Roxy
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
So, the latest publishing trend seems to be having Youtube stars put out their own books now. I haven't read any of them, but I picked up Lily's book because I do watch her channel on occasion.

There is nothing new or life-changing in Lily's book. She gives out some good advice, but the book reads like a Cliff's Notes edition, each chapter is very short and when you start to grasp what she is saying, the chapter is done. If felt like more of a photo shoot with brief stories in between. Yes, the p
Veronique
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
“Don't give up before you even try.”

So I finished it after almost 2 years of reading. On March 8 it would have been 2 whole years.

I just don’t know how to review this book. I learned quite a bit about myself, however I can’t say I highly enjoyed it or disliked it. It was just okay. A fun read about self development. I can recommend this book if you want to find your inner Bawse.

This book took me the longest to read like seriously 2 years! Girlll what have you been doing this whole dang time...
Ritu
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A Self help book for someone who DOES NOT like Self help books.

Someone like Me.

Lilly Singh is pretty entertaining and one of my favourite YouTuber but I admit that I NEVER expected that I would read her book because -

1. I dont like Self help books, they are just downright boring and I ve noticed that It doesn't really motivate me long enough to follow it through.

2. I never considered Lilly Singh mature enough to be writing a self help book in the first place !

3. I have a Mom ! Who take
Kristina
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED it!

Lilly is such a cool and down to earth person that I just couldn't help but adore her!
Down to earth thought skills! 6 2 Mar 01, 2020 11:13AM
Hi 1 11 Aug 29, 2018 02:25PM
Goodreads Choice ...: How to Be a Bawse - August 2018 2 55 Aug 25, 2018 02:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: What to do with fan-made parody books 4 54 May 21, 2017 11:36PM

• My Life as Eva: The Struggle is Real
  • Unlearn: 101 Simple Truths for a Better Life
  • How to Write Good
  • The Millionaire Dropout: Fire Your Boss. Do What You Love. Reclaim Your Life!
  • Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It
  • #Girlboss
  • Seriously... I'm Kidding
  • The Palace of Illusions
  • Ashes, Wine and Dust
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • Mrs Funnybones
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • The Last Black Unicorn
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • Leap of Faith
  • Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Live as TV's Most Influential Guru Advises
Lilly Singh is a Canadian YouTuber, comedian, talk show host, writer, and actress, who initially gained fame on social media under the pseudonym IISuperwomanII.

News & Interviews

“Think of discomfort as currency- it's the price you pay to learn some pretty crucial things.” 50 likes
“Say what you mean, but don't say it mean.” 48 likes