Start by marking “Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes: The Ultimate Guide to the Opposite Sex” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  853 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Do you know the top seven things men do that drive women nuts? Or the real reason women cry more than men do? What are men really looking for in a woman—both at first sight and for the long-term? These are only the starting points for Barbara and Allan Pease as they discuss the very real—and often very funny—differences between the sexes.
Why Men Don’t Have a Clue and Wome
Published January 13th 2004 by Harmony (first published 2002)

Donna
Jun 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
My boss likes to bring me these horrific examples of gender discrimination to raise my blood pressure. Unsurprisingly, it works! Crap-ass piece of hooey.

Women are from earth. Men are from earth. Deal with it.
Sazlin M. Aini
Jan 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book and all titles in the series several years ago. At the time, I found them to be “enlightening” and “revealing” about gender difference to my then inadequate, uninformed self. The writing has a certain charm and an aura of openness that is inviting and non-threatening, with enough photos of brain scans and charts and “scientific data” to sound well-researched and knowledgeable, that it made me comfortable enough to accept its claims as reasonable and true.

Here’s the thing — when
Murs
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good to read, very true and just very interessting. made me alot of laugh as well.
Chelsey
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book really helped me understand why men and women are so differently. Its a great book to read if you are into Psychology and understanding why the brain thinks a certain way.
Sacha
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So interesting! Must-read for everyone out there, cuz it will make all the problems between boyz and gurls disappear - and only that should make the world a little bit nicer. Thereby, it gives you so many life hacks... LUV
Erikka
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
At first, this book seems like a bunch of stereotypical gender stuff. But if you actually read it thoroughly, you will find that it is quite well-researched and delves into actual science-founded differences in how the sexes communicate. My husband and I don't have any major communication issues, but we still found it very thought-provoking and it inspired several conversations. We did skip a couple chapters, namely the sports chapter (neither of us are sports fans), the one about his mother (we ...more
Michelle
Aug 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in learning about sex differences
Shelves: alreadyread
This is an easy to read, somewhat simplistic, intro into the world of sex differences. There are two camps on this issue: camp one thinks males and females are the same, only nurture causes the differentiation of behaviors. Camp two, the one backed by science and logic, is that males and females are different on a biological level, are born different,and stay different. Different is good. Different doesn't mean one is better than the other.

My main issue with this book,and many other books like i
Ms. Reader
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This amusing and straight-to-the-point book was entertaining to read and interesting to learn from. Though several "facts" felt out of date and slightly bias, and a good chunk of the details are obvious and common sense to the average person, but the book mostly remained on point and covered some good grounds on the differences between men and women, why we clash and why we are also so compatible. It's a good read for couples who need a little help in the conflict department, and need a better u ...more
Randolph Breschini
Woah...MUST reading for everyone...Definitely learned about my past and what was going on...and it was MOSTLY WRONG...Bahahaha!
Sophie Ngugi
Interesting...we really are from different planets! but have to co-exist...
Ali  M.
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's still plenty of room out there for more decent gender relationships books with useful advice and not afraid to tell things like they are. This unfortunately was not one of them.

The book starts out promising enough. This discussion about nagging was genuinely interesting. I also liked the discussion of differing gender 'point scoring systems', even though I've heard it a few times in other places. The suggestion of each person scoring actions in their relationships for a set period of tim
Dale
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts out strong, ends up tiresome (a review of the audiobook)

Read by one of the authors, Allan Pease
3 discs
3 hours

Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes
starts out with a bang, delving into a lot of the differences that drive men and women crazy. These are mostly humorous and mostly full of good advice. But, we never do find out about women and shoes, nor do we find the answers to some of the questions posed in the opening section, such as, "Why don't women initiate sex mor
هاجر  محمد
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book. Some points made sense to me. Others, with all due respect are complete BS (sorry not sorry).

I hate that they use a ranking system and give numbers to how "attractive" men and women are.

They also hint at getting plastic surgery or "fixing something about yourself if you don't like it". Which personally I'm against but that's just me.

It's true, that looks are important as well as personality but they didn't emphasize the personality aspect enough in my opinion.

S
Petra
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Waarom mannen liegen en vrouwen altijd schoenen kopen" lichten allan & Barbara Pease de verschillen tussen mannen en vrouwen toe. Dit doen ze bijvoorbeeld door ergernissen van vrouwen over mannen (en andersom) toe te lichten. Of vragen te beantwoorden als Wat vinden we aantrekkelijk aan elkaar? En hoe kunnen we ons dus aantrekkelijker maken voor de andere sekse? Waarom kunnen mannen minder goed omgaan met hun pensioen dan vrouwen?

Een interessant boek wat natuurlijk niet de waarheid biedt
Donna Girouard
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
There's a great deal of useful information in this book, but you will have to overlook the stereotyping, some of which is hasty generalization. For example, the ability to read maps is not dependent on gender (this statement is being made by a woman who can, in fact, read a map). Also, the section on farting, though humorous, is also inaccurate. Perhaps, during the more prudish 1950s or so, more women were offended by their husbands' farting, but I don't see this today. In fact, in my marriage, ...more
James Perkins
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On first impression, it's a book of insights into relationships. At closer examination, it's a very simplistic, ignorant, overly superficial analysis of men and women, with the only explanation for gender-specific behaviour offered being what we used to do when we were monkeys and neanderthals - in other words, it can't be helped. There is almost no reference to society's conditioning or the real psychological processes that govern the development and maintenance of individual behaviour. It's un ...more
Caitlin
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, very interesting. I read it as part of the required course materials for my Psychology of Gender class. We focused mostly on issues from the evolutionary standpoint. Interesting to think about how men and women are the way they are because we have evolved this way and are now described in this novel.
I also loved the humor throughout the book.
Only negative comment would be that some of the solutions offered by the authors for the relationship issues seemed highly unlikely (to
Maria Elmvang
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not as good as their first book. Some of the information was spot on, other bits really, really, really far off... but then I guess it doesn't help that I severely lack the shoe-desire gene ;)

I liked the real-life examples to show what their theories looked like in practise, but thought there were too few of them.

All in all a fairly easily read book - more accessible than Men Are from Mars... but once you've read either that or Alan and Barbara's other book, there's no real reason to read this o
Noha Sherif
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I saw my self in between these lines especially " The parent has conditioned the child to automatically respond the way they do. The child has been taught it’s not necessary to respond after the first request and that your standard is for you to remind, persuade or demand several times before you expect them to comply. The child has trained you to keep repeating your demands and they think you don’t really want them to act." I really keep saying to my children .. why I have to repeat myself 1000 ...more
Liz
I read this for brain candy, and I'd say it's definitely a light, enjoyable read. However, it does also have its bits of insight about the opposite sex. I think what you get out of this book depends on how seriously you choose to take the claims which are made in it. Also, it gives some information which is not relevant to a 21 year old, such as how people deal with retirement. Entertaning and fun overall.
Aasim Waheed
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book about how and (sometimes) why men and women differ. A good amount of humor keeps the book an easy read. I enjoyed specially the last chapter on retirement because I had never looked at retirement from that point of view. I'd recommend this book to all, specially busy professionals who generally dont get time time think about a lot of the little but important issues touched directly or indirectly in this book.
Shirin Abdel Rahman
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is not A DATING BOOK!
this books is to help women to understand men and vice verse.
In case you are a woman then in this books you will find an answers to a lot of questions like:
1-Do really men care about sex only?
2-Are monogamy and commitment a nightmare to men?
3-Why men are scared of marriage?
and a lot of other question,i would recommend this books to any single girl or any girl who want to understand men!
Kecia
Imagine every pop psychology magazine article you've ever read...and you'll get the gist of this book. It's jam packed with stuff but nothing new or enlightening. No depth at all.

I was offended by the way the portray men in this book too...as couch surfing, farting, liars. I'm sure there are men out there like that but the men in my social circle have evolved from or hunter gatherer ancesters...if only by a little.
Russianwitch
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I've read this book but what I remember from reading it is a sense of enjoyment.
I don't like self help books on the whole. But this isn't a self help book despite being able to function as one.
The language is clear and the authors are funny enough that reading what could have been rather dry subject matter becomes entertainment.
Dirk Lapere
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-books
I like all their books. Easy to read, they get the poits across. Maybe not all points are totally correct, but overall the book makes you aware of the fundamental differences that exist between the sexes. These books should be compulsory reading for future brides and grooms (particularly grooms who tend to be more oblivious to this).
Dilla
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Buku ini menerangkan tentang perangai lelaki dan wanita. Mengapa sukar lelaki nak memahami wanita dan sebaliknya. Contoh-contoh yang diberi lebih berkisar dari kaca mata Barat tetapi kita boleh kaitkan dengan adab Timur. Selepas aku baca, barulah faham beberapa perkara. Kejap-kejap lepas baca, "Oh, macam tu sebenarnya." Hehe.
Nawar
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, it was interesting and a quick read. It's great if you want to figure out the opposite sex and why men and women act and think the way they do.
Good if you're into psychology. Or not!
It also wasn't as cliche and cheesy as most self help and relationship books are. I learned a lot of fun facts and quirky things!
Nabila Amr
Ich habe mir ehrlich gesagt etwas anderes darunter vorgestellt -> eher eine lustige Geschichte über die Macken von Männern und Frauen. Aber das Buch ist totzdem lesenswert. Obwohl wir das meiste wissen, ist es trotzdem interessant zu lesen. Das Buch gibt auch sehr viele Infos über das Verhalten, was wir nicht wissen. Empfehlenswert!

Es ist eher ein Sachbuch!
Rashad Raoufi
its just tad bit cliched regarding gender roles and preferences etc, indeed some might even accuse it of being streotypical and even offensive at certain points. but it can be useful as it at least attempts to give some understanding of the differences in genders and social interaction. its a humours,easy and enjoybale read most of the time.
Eleftheria
Πολύ ευχάριστο στην ανάγνωση αλλά κυρίως μου έδειξε και μου έμαθες "τα κινέζικα" που μιλάει και καταλαβαίνει ο άντρας μου. Σίγουρα είναι από τις γνώσεις σταθμό στη σχέση και στη ζωή μας!

Το συνιστώ ανεπιφύλακτα σε όλους όσους συναναστρέφονται ανθρώπους και ακόμη περισσότερος σ' αυτούς που έχουν ή αναζητούν μία συντροφική σχέση με διάρκεια!
  • Personality Plus for Couples: Understanding Yourself and the One You Love
  • So What?: How to Communicate What Really Matters to Your Audience
  • First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • The Art of Dealing with People
  • Go for Gold: Inspiration to Increase Your Leadership Impact
  • People Tools for Business: 50 Strategies for Building Success, Creating Wealth, and Finding Happiness
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • Piano On The Beach
  • If This Is Love Why Do I Feel So Insecure?
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
  • Venus on Fire, Mars on Ice: Hormonal Balance--The Key to Life, Love, and Energy
  • Household Gold (How to Convert Household Expenses into Household Income)
  • What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day
  • Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?: Bodies, Behavior, and Brains--the Science Behind Sex, Love, and Attraction
  • Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • Have a New You by Friday: How to Accept Yourself, Boost Your Confidence & Change Your Life in 5 Days
Allan Pease is an Australian author and motivational speaker. Despite having no education in psychology, neuroscience, or psychiatry, he has managed to establish himself as an "expert on relationships".

Originally a musician, he became a successful life insurance salesman, he started a career as a speaker and trainer in sales and latterly in body language. This resulted in a popular sideline of aud
More about Allan Pease...