Start by marking “Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:
Silent Treatment

Silent Treatment

In his five bestselling novels, from The Sisterhood to Natural Causesv, physician Michael Palmer has drawn on years of firsthand emergency-room experience to create the drama of a frighteningly authentic world--a world where the line between medicine and murder is scalpel-thin. Now, in his most harrowing suspense novel yet, Palmer reveals how the power to heal can become
Published February 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Treatment

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Rating: 3.5

This was a pretty fun medical thriller. This has been one of my favorite medical thrillers so far.

I only rated it three stars because the whole innocent person getting framed trope causes me a lot of anxiety. Not in a good way either for me a lot of the time. I don't know why. I've DNFed books for that reason alone. I understand why writers use that trope though.
Marty Fried
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Michael Palmer, but not the last, I'm sure. A real roller-coaster ride, with lots of suspense all the way. It went fast, mainly because I had trouble putting it down.

If you don't like the state of medical care and medical insurance in the US, this book probably won't change your mind. Although it was a bit over the top, it didn't seem completely unbelievable that the insurance company would try to maximize their profits at the expense of a few patients. Hopefully, they don't go
Deborah Hamilton
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
From the prologue to the epilogue this book kept me in a panic. I felt for each of the characters in a special way. The balance between the stress of being investigating for the murder of one's wife to solving that mystery was perfect. Just when the reader thought that everyone was figured out.....Nope try again. Classic Palmer style. A great read and true page turner.
Joyce McKune
One thing I love about this author is I don't have to worry about reading them "in order", however, this one could use a sequel. Will Harry and Maura live happily ever after? I suppose after the excitement of this story, nothing they could do would compare.
Harry's wife was having an brain aneurism repaired in the morning. The ward was very full and the person in the next bed was (Maura) going through alcohol withdrawal after head surgery from a drunken fall down the stairs. Harry was visiting a
Adrienne
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Excellent reading
Jeremy Bates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this one!
it was my first by michael palmer... im not really into medical thrillers, but the pacing and plotting were great
he's a very talented writer.... he sometimes goes a bit over the top with his medical descriptions, but it doesn't distract from the story too much
highly recommended!
Claire Noonan
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I resented every minute I had to be away from this book until I finished it. It was suspenseful and compelling. I would have liked a less punchy ending- a bit more of an aftermath would have been nice, to find out a bit more about what happened to some of the characters. One of them- Maura's brother, disappeared from the plot and never returned!
Novitaherawati Sembiring
Michael Palmer
i don't know about a silent treatment , because i not yet to read this books .
i want to the meaning to indonesian , because i have a homework about it
please help me to finis my homework ...
Jill
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm...sort of a different plot for Michael Palmer, I rather enjoyed that! Still had the obligatory romance, and bad guy chasing, but definitely kept my interest. I think this would be a good movie.
Debby
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of medical thrillers suspense/thrillers, especially those written by authors who are or have been doctors, then you've got to check out Michael Palmer's books. I've been a fan of his for a long time, but hadn't read Silent Treatment. I couldn't put this one down.
Elusive
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In 'Silent Treatment', Dr. Harry's hopes of reconciling with his wife Evie are dashed when her surgery goes horribly wrong thus she dies from a brain haemorrhage. To make things worse, he becomes the prime suspect. However, the killer isn't about to stop. As the body count rapidly increases, Harry embarks on a dangerous quest to unveil the truth only to find that he's up against a formidable foe..

Having read 'Miracle Cure' by Michael Palmer, I was pleasantly surprised by this book as it was a de
Linda
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Michael Palmer nearly always provides a medically-based, action-packed thriller. Silent Treatment does not disappoint.

Dr. Harry Corbett is just a few days away from his 50th birthday, which he is dreading because of a "family curse" that seems to strike the men in his family on that date. His wife, Evelyn, with whom he has a strained relationship, is scheduled for surgery at Manhattan Medical Center for a brain aneurysm. When Evie dies suddenly the night before the surgery, Harry is accused of
Herman
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uitstekende medische thriller over dokter wiens vrouw in het ziekenhuis wordt vermoord en hij verdachte nummer 1 is. De rest van het opwindende boek is hij bezig de ware daders te ontmaskeren. Heeft ook iets te maken met snode plannen van verzekeringsmaatschappijen. Helaas buitengewoon geloofwaardig allemaal en iets wat ook zomaar buiten de VS zou kunnen gebeuren. Gezond wantrouwen tegen verzekeraars blijft op z'n plaats. Voor de rest natuurlijk ook gewoon eersteklas vermaak van deze schrijvende ...more
Maura
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Eleanor Murray
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific mystery!

This story is fast-paced and is a fascinating page turner. As it develops, the main characters leap off the page and become more real. The twists and turns are swift and shocking, leaving this reader to take a deep breath before moving on from one swift plot maneuver to the next.

I recommend this book highly.
Maria
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping and enthralling. Felt like 3 parts to this book. First mostly to do with Harry and his problems, then the accusations, then the hunt. I really couldn't stop reading this every night. Loved it very much. Michael Palmer is not an author I have read before and it was yet again another garage sale box bargain of other books. I will start reading his other novels!
Teresa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
All of Michael Palmer's books a good, full of suspense and thrilling, scary moments. I find his books to be a bit wordy and too long and technical in many places, but this is not enough to keep me from picking up a book of his. The happily ever after is predictable. The satisfying portion of this particular book is how the bad guys are eliminated! Excellent! Fist bump!
Louise Pledge
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If it weren't for the language and sex, I'd be saying that this is one of the best books I've ever read! There are several different plots going on, and you wonder how on earth they're ever going to fit together, and as each one does, it is startling! So many unexpected occurrences and cliff-hangers in this book! On to the next Michael Palmer book!
David R
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Far too convoluted to be an enjoyable read.

Far too many near death experiences. Somewhere about 3/4 along the way, suspense was replaced with just wanting to get through the book. I had to push my way through the end.
Holly (epiloguebookblog)
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carol
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Good mystery but when heroes are supermen it tends to become unbelievable
Terri
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the story, but it felt like Harry Corbett was super human. He survived so many near death experiences. Just a bit unbelievable.
Sheryl
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-book
I might be giving this a 5 because I have read so many bad books lately. But this did keep my interest!
Susan Moore
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Good
Perkimom
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting, intriguing, satisfying. Love the medical thrillers of Michael Palmer!
Athornton
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good medical mystery with a lot of intersecting subplots thrown in!
Galem
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Great story. Keeps you interested and reading. Not too much filler. Michael Palmer is a great story teller. Going to watch for his next book.
Shannon
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it...!
Monica
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Found myself reading faster and faster to keep up with the pace - a good thriller that wasn't always predictable.
Susan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Racing will be the norm for this one!

You will be hooked from the first page of this thriller..I just couldn’t put it down and am looking forward to more Palmer books.
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Isolation Ward (Nathaniel McCormick #1)
  • Blood Lies
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Bloodstream
  • Implant
  • Brain Child
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He