Start by marking “The Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood

The Sisterhood

Inside Boston Doctors Hospital, patients are  dying. In the glare of the operating room, they  survive the surgeon's knife. But in the dark, hollow  silence of the night, they die. Suddenly,  inexplicable, horribly. A tough, bright doctor will risk his  very life for a dedicated young nurse who unknowingly  holds the answers. Together they will  discover that no one is fro ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisterhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisterhood

Start your review of The Sisterhood
Shelley
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Summary: One by one, patients at Boston Doctors Hospital survive delicate surgery, only to die shortly thereafter--mysteriously and horribly. No one knows why--except the Sisterhood, nurses bound together by a secret pledge to end human suffering--nurses with warped, deadly intentions.

A "Sisterhood" of nurses planted in hospitals all over the country. Their purpose is to end the life of people with hopeless causes, who live in agony every day because their doctors just won't let them die.

This no
Terence M
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-abridged
This was a disappointment because after I started the audiobook, I discovered it was an abridged version, narrated by J Charles.

Fortunately, none of my collection of Michael Palmer books, other than "The Sisterhood", is abridged.
Michael Adamchuk
Unexpected deaths are occurring in many hospitals. When one of Doctor David Shelton's patients dies of suspicious causes, he begins looking into other deaths. he finds a Sisterhood of Death that is spread throughout a groups of hospitals. The Sisters feel they are helping those without any hope of recovery or a decent quality of life, i.e. euthanasia. The Sisterhood frames Dr. Shelton for the murder. He goes on the run while the Sisterhood tries to cover it tracks. ...more
Priya
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a medical thriller which touches on mercy killing and euthanasia.

The book is so well written and believable that it really makes you wonder.

The ending was not complete as there were a lot of lose ends left.

But overall a fast moving and easy book to read.
Ron
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
It had ups and downs. Not a bad story, didn't like how it ended. Too many things unresolved ...more
Everydayreader1
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Michael Palmer medical thriller I have had the pleasure of reading. Intense. Interesting. Fast-paced. Filled with one surprise after another. Totally captivating. The characters too, some good and some not, are just waiting to come to life for the reader.
Tabitha
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical, cheesy, murder
1.5 stars! I didn't expect much going into it and not even those expectations got met. Good airplane book though! ...more
Jerry B
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Fine first novel medical thriller by another Mass General MD...

A friend gave us the old "if you like Robin Cook, you'll love Michael Palmer." Close enough - a medical thriller for sure, Palmer ironically was a contemporary of Cook at Massachusetts General, and has practiced since as an MD for some 20 years. Somehow he found time to start writing, and although his first book didn't make the cut, he got a commission for The Sisterhood, copyrighted in 1982. At the pace of about one each two years,
Brittany
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A highly suspenseful thriller just brimming with tension!
Barbara Huskey
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent medical thriller. I prefer Robin Cook's writing. I did manage to read this one quickly. ...more
Elusive
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
In 'The Sisterhood', several patients at Boston Doctors Hospital wind up dead by the morning even though they appear to be on the road to recovery. When Dr. David Shelton becomes the primary suspect after one of his patients dies, he is certain that someone is out to get him. Learning about the existence of a group called The Sisterhood and their practices is only the beginning of a nightmare..

This book started off really well with a suspenseful, foreboding atmosphere that revealed a much darker
eLle
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. David Shelton is a brilliant surgeon who stepped away from the OR after the accident that claimed his wife’s and daughter’s life. Probably to drown out the guilt, he turned to alcohol and drugs. He is trying to get back on his feet when one of the patient entrusted to him by a senior surgeon died mysteriously. He struggled to accept the fact that the patient simply die so he ordered a blood analysis only to be pinned down later for the woman’s murder.

This medical thriller deals about euthana
Ellen Marchessault
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Laura Poppenwimer
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a medical thriller that only Michael Palmer can write. It is so believable and chilling that it makes you a bit afraid to go to a hospital. A Sisterhood of nurses ban together to end the suffering of terminally ill patients, but things go wrong and greed becomes an issue. I sat down and read this almost straight through.

I was very surprised at how the ends were all tied up.
Maureen
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love medical mysteries and Michael Palmer does it well...don’t know why I like him so much...his books are all the same...killing patients, doc getting blamed and someone freeing them...but it holds my interest, guess it’s the twists and turns especially at the end....this one had a doc with issues, then accused of killing people, but a nurse is involved too...
Glenna Mcneal
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Being in the medical profession is a privilege that sometimes becomes a tool of abuse. This book centers in on a group of medical professionals who think they should take matters into their own hands, and the results are mind-boggling. They cost many their profession; their very lives; and turn peoples' worlds upside down. Anyone who enjoys a good medical mystery will enjoy this. ...more
Leslie G
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
7th book by Michael Palmer ! The Sisterhood, nurses for the “right to die” .........I feel I understand the pain of watching a loved one in PAIN . As a Christian thou just as I don’t believe in abortion I don’t believe anyone taking another’s life. Good book ! Makes you think 🤔
Ivelisse
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good book but it was also very scary to think what happened could go on...
Gina Redmond
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
My friend who enjoys detective and thrillers told me about this book. I liked the subject matter HEALTH CARE.
John Heise
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my third Palmer book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit tough, at times, to get through some of the medical language. Regardless, good story line and well written.
E.
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit predictable (but there is still a twist :) ) but a nice read indeed!
Susan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Racing to the finish

That’s how I felt reading this one..I was racing to finish it because I could not stop and neither will anyone else that reads it.
Barbara A Pernini
Disappointing ending

The ending was disappointing and obviously a lead in to another book. It was a page turner until the end.
erin
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I was expecting more of a horror novel and instead got a mediocre medical thriller.
Emmanuel Gallegos
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
It wasn't what I was expecting. ...more
Eileen O'Neill
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful easy reading

New author to me. It was an easy, enjoyable , fast moving read. I was consider reading another book by this author
Mindy Cossins
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
couple of good twist in the end
Ruth
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Basic medical thriller, pretty good read, except that the less-than-credible romantic involvement.
Bob Box
Read in 1983. A suspenseful page turner. I read Palmer's medical thrillers for 25 plus years. ...more
Debra
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medical thriller. Chilling look at nurses’ views
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add Audible edition 2 12 Mar 24, 2020 07:13AM

• Side Effects
  • Natural Causes
  • Extreme Measures
  • Trauma
  • Silent Treatment
  • Fatal
  • Miracle Cure
  • The Patient
  • The Society
  • The First Family
  • Resistant (Dr. Lou Welcome, #3)
  • The Fifth Vial
  • The Second Opinion
  • Charlatans
  • The First Patient
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)
  • Damage Control (Jonathan Grave, #4)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages. H ...more

News & Interviews