Start by marking “The Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood

The Sisterhood

Inside Boston Doctors Hospital, patients are  dying. In the glare of the operating room, they  survive the surgeon's knife. But in the dark, hollow  silence of the night, they die. Suddenly,  inexplicable, horribly. A tough, bright doctor will risk his  very life for a dedicated young nurse who unknowingly  holds the answers. Together they will  discover that no one is fro ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisterhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisterhood

Shelley
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Summary: One by one, patients at Boston Doctors Hospital survive delicate surgery, only to die shortly thereafter--mysteriously and horribly. No one knows why--except the Sisterhood, nurses bound together by a secret pledge to end human suffering--nurses with warped, deadly intentions.

A "Sisterhood" of nurses planted in hospitals all over the country. Their purpose is to end the life of people with hopeless causes, who live in agony every day because their doctors just won't let them die.

This no
Tabitha
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cheesy, medical, murder
1.5 stars! I didn't expect much going into it and not even those expectations got met. Good airplane book though!
Jerry B
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Fine first novel medical thriller by another Mass General MD...

A friend gave us the old "if you like Robin Cook, you'll love Michael Palmer." Close enough - a medical thriller for sure, Palmer ironically was a contemporary of Cook at Massachusetts General, and has practiced since as an MD for some 20 years. Somehow he found time to start writing, and although his first book didn't make the cut, he got a commission for The Sisterhood, copyrighted in 1982. At the pace of about one each two years,
Barbara Huskey
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent medical thriller. I prefer Robin Cook's writing. I did manage to read this one quickly.
Brittany
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A highly suspenseful thriller just brimming with tension!
Elusive
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
In 'The Sisterhood', several patients at Boston Doctors Hospital wind up dead by the morning even though they appear to be on the road to recovery. When Dr. David Shelton becomes the primary suspect after one of his patients dies, he is certain that someone is out to get him. Learning about the existence of a group called The Sisterhood and their practices is only the beginning of a nightmare..

This book started off really well with a suspenseful, foreboding atmosphere that revealed a much darker
Lenie Gervero
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr. David Shelton is a brilliant surgeon who stepped away from the OR after the accident that claimed his wife’s and daughter’s life. Probably to drown out the guilt, he turned to alcohol and drugs. He is trying to get back on his feet when one of the patient entrusted to him by a senior surgeon died mysteriously. He struggled to accept the fact that the patient simply die so he ordered a blood analysis only to be pinned down later for the woman’s murder.

This medical thriller deals about euthana
Ellen Marchessault
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Maureen
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love medical mysteries and Michael Palmer does it well...don’t know why I like him so much...his books are all the same...killing patients, doc getting blamed and someone freeing them...but it holds my interest, guess it’s the twists and turns especially at the end....this one had a doc with issues, then accused of killing people, but a nurse is involved too...
Laura Poppenwimer
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a medical thriller that only Michael Palmer can write. It is so believable and chilling that it makes you a bit afraid to go to a hospital. A Sisterhood of nurses ban together to end the suffering of terminally ill patients, but things go wrong and greed becomes an issue. I sat down and read this almost straight through.

I was very surprised at how the ends were all tied up.
Leslie G
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
7th book by Michael Palmer ! The Sisterhood, nurses for the “right to die” .........I feel I understand the pain of watching a loved one in PAIN . As a Christian thou just as I don’t believe in abortion I don’t believe anyone taking another’s life. Good book ! Makes you think 🤔
E.
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit predictable (but there is still a twist :) ) but a nice read indeed!
John
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my third Palmer book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit tough, at times, to get through some of the medical language. Regardless, good story line and well written.
Susan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Racing to the finish

That’s how I felt reading this one..I was racing to finish it because I could not stop and neither will anyone else that reads it.
erin
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I was expecting more of a horror novel and instead got a mediocre medical thriller.
Barbara A Pernini
Disappointing ending

The ending was disappointing and obviously a lead in to another book. It was a page turner until the end.
Ivelisse
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good book but it was also very scary to think what happened could go on...
Gina Redmond
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
My friend who enjoys detective and thrillers told me about this book. I liked the subject matter HEALTH CARE.
Jane Suszek
Good Read.
Julia
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those weird and interesting finds that a reader sometimes trip upon. At my job we freely pass books around if they don't catch your attention and this was just one book that was looking for a home. Reading the jacket I suppose that it would tickle my sister's fancy so I picked it up while the next thing I know she asks me via text if I had heard of an author named Michael Palmer who had just died.

Anyway the book was interesting and very detailed in some senses more than likely
Richard
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My very first book from this author and definitely not my last. I had been put off medical thrillers by the very poor 'Coma' by Robin Cook., the film was even worse. Nevertheless, I like to try new authors (to me) and having read good reviews on Goodreads, I thought I'd give it a go. This book is superbly written by an author who knows his medical stuff. Even though it was highly technical at times and way over my head, it was used sparingly and a vital part of the story but never spoiled the en ...more
A~
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, owned
Cathy Smith
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was thrilled to read this story! The plot was awesome, but I do still have some questions at the end: What about the part of the sisterhood who were doing this for money? A second part would be great, to see what happens to the twin of Dotty. And to find out what Christine had to do to pay for being a part. Also, does David and Christine get together? David seems to have hangups that need to be addressed; will those be answered? Pleas ...more
Jessica Capps
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a decent medical thriller dealing with the medical field and euthanasia. The sisterhood is a group of nurses dedicated to "mercy killing" their patients that doctors won't let die. Those patients that either can't go on, or don't want to, but keep being subjected to more medical intervention. Is that sinister? Is it moral? That's up to you, but they veer off their target when they have to cover their tracks when one of their victim's deaths is determined to be foul play - and the doctor ...more
Rissy
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
I honestly was tempted to stop reading this book a quarter of the way through, because I felt like though I enjoyed the idea of it... the slow pace it was going at was pretty disappointing. After trudging through this point however, I liked the change of events much better.

The main characters though out the book were likable and relatable in their own right. A twist of events, might not shock you as much as it perhaps was intended to, but it was intriguing (to me) all the same.

Good read, once it
Kath
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Marsha
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
When an organized group medical personnel get caught administering euthanasia due to a rigorous autopsy, those in charge decide to let the blame all on an innocent doctor. As his career begins to implode he fights back as best he can. When one of the nurses decides to come forward as an act of conscious, the bodies begin to add up.

This was a quick read with predictable plot. There is some discussion of the moral dilemma in keeping people alive at the end of life in pain and against their wishes
Marti
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This particular book had the plot twist of a doctor who had been an alcoholic and drug user, who got rehabilitated and was finally accepted back at a large hospital--similar to another book I have recently read. Thia doctor gets into trouble when a terminal patient dies, though the deed has been done by a nurse who is a member of the Sisterhood, a group which plays God and deals with euthanasia, or just plain revenge. It starts out slowly, but gets rather exciting in the last third.
Michele
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
An interesting commentary on euthenasia. The author goes so far as to call it that rather than to keep referring to it as mercy killing. It also puts the main question of where the line is drawn for this kind of thing into focus. It was a good story. I had some of it figured out and other parts not so much, so it was as predictable as what I thought it was going to be. Some of it didn't contribute much to the overall story. I'd recommend it.
P.S. Winn
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books by this author and each one has fascinated and thrilled me. Mr. Palmer writes such viable tales that will thrill and horrify readers. How much is true, this reader thinks many things that the author talks about are either true or a very strong possibility to be true. I love the adventure and the medical knowledge the author brings to his books. I found The sister hood to be one of the better books and I loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Vital Signs (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #2)
  • Bye, Bye Blackbird (Blackbird Sisters Mystery #10.5)
  • Off the Chart (Thorn, #8)
  • Deadly Medicine (Joanna Blalock #1)
  • Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2)
  • Death by Rhubarb (Heaven Lee, #1)
  • Binding Ties (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #6)
  • The Company
  • Les Orphelins du Mal
  • Storm Runners
  • Omnibus: Prince Of Fire / The Messenger / The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #5, #6, #7)
  • Midnight Rain
  • Dolan's Cadillac, and Other Stories
  • A Perfect Nanny (Giffort Street, #1)
  • An Unquiet Grave (Louis Kincaid, #7)
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He