Start by marking “Hind Swaraj” as Want to Read:
Hind Swaraj

Hind Swaraj

Legendary book where Mahatma Gandhi outlined his vision for Free India, written in 1909
Published January 1st 2012 by Navjivan Trust (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Hind Swaraj, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hind Swaraj

Start your review of Hind Swaraj
Ananya
Apr 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
anyone who has given it a low rating has accompanied it with an apology for criticising it or wrote something politically correct or diplomatic, such is the fear for what would happen if we talk against it. I won't lie even I'm a little wary of criticising it outright (people get arrested here if they offend someone)
so :I'm glad of the Passive Resitance thing. no violence, no bloodshed, win-win for both sides which is a laudable thing (truly)
but he also believed that
women=/=men . he talks
Tom
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever wondered what Gandhi was thinking, this is an important look at where he was at in 1908. He was against modern civilization. I guess he was also a Luddite and an isolationist. He was able to 'liberate' India from British rule, but so far, modern civilization seems to be gaining ground.

I think it is important to read this book.
Purnacandra Sivarupa
[The actual edition which I own is the 1982 reprint of the Revised edition from Navajivan Press, hardbound with raw silk cover, 110 pages including preface by Mahadev Desai and reference appendices.]

The Mahatma Gandhi has been taking a beating lately in the thought of modern India. It is said of him among many devout Hindus that his teachings on soul-force (his own term for "passive resistance") would have ruined India, and that his teachings on what we today call "appropriate technology" would
Siddharth Nishar
As far as expostulations on ideologies go, this is a nice go-to summary in a highly digestible format, clearly intended to be read by the then-educated masses.

The book succeeds for the simplicity of the language, the clarity of thought and the nuanced counter-arguments presented to the imaginary critic.

The book also provides a handy insight into Gandhi's psyche. We understand how dated the book is by the casual sexism (directed at both the sexes), the willingness to accept religious principles
Yuce
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"English support and the obtaining of Home Rule are two contradictory things. How can the English people tolerate Home Rule for us? But I do not want you to decide this question for me just yet."

Oh, the clarity of thoughts!
Bapu was an amazing author. Looking forward to reading some more of his works.
Nitin
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I dont agree with most of his ideas about the ideal civilization , modern economy and industrialization. His ideas simply doesn't allign with basest of human natures which is the main driver of our actions. The problem with Gandhi is that he is 'too good'. His ideas looks only on paper and is nearly impossible to implement. I gave a extra star because Gandhi has an open mind and he says he willing to change his views if he is proved wrong.Gandhi's intentions are good but his ways to materialize ...more
Anubhav
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My low rating for this book is not because it is badly written (far from that) but simply because I happen to strongly disagree with many of the ideas presented here.

I read this book for a Humanities course I did in college - 'Moral Literacy, Moral Choices' and in the final exam, in response to one question ('What did you think of this book?' or something to that effect), I spent about five pages arguing logically in detail against many of the view-points expressed in the book, and all I got
Jay Vardhan
If you haven’t read Gandhiji’s biography, then I would recommend you to read it first. The reason why you should read his Biography first, before reading this book, is that it will help you to understand where his ideas are coming from.
In this book, Gandhiji is against everything Western. He is against Railways, Modern medicine and everything good that the West has to offer. His disdain for Western Civilization and everything that is associated with it will surprise you. But we should realize
dipandjelly
sigh. i can't rate this for multiple personal and political reasons but just. gandhi. sighhhhh. (this is not a good sigh) possibly the only text that's caused me to sigh louder than this, this semester, has been nehru's 'discovery of india' (which i was forced to read again thanks to the sociology minor).
Arun
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How one feels about this book depends upon one's views on Gandhi. If you like Gandhi, you will like this book. And if you don't, you will hate this book. The sections on Swaraj are likeable but the sections on technology are simplistic and misleading.
Sadhna
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is strictly for the writing style and the fact that it is a wonderful book to understand Gandhi's ideologies. I personally do not agree with much of what is written. Reading more of his books may help in understanding why he thought the way he did. This is a good book to start with.
Mohit Sharma
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Extremely conflicted opinions, far from any conclusions.
Shadab
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth a read if you want to know about Gandhi's view towards different topics in the year 1908.
His views of Railways, legal profession, doctors, extremists etc. given in question answer format.
Madhvi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, wanna-re-read
All the stars in this universe fall short to give him for what he was and for what he had done! ...more
Ashok Krishna
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are Gandhian principles relevant to today's 'Modern India'?

If you're a person who entertains such a question in your mind, then this book is definitely for you. Written more than a hundred years ago, this book continues to be relevant today and some of his views are indeed prophetic.

Even if you're one of those Gandhi-bashers, if you could keep your hatred for him aside for a while and read this book with the only aim of contemplating on the deeper meaning of his words instead of seeking
ZaRi
"I believe that the civilization India evolved is not to be beaten in the world. Nothing can equal the seeds sown by our ancestors, Rome went, Greece shared the same fate; the might of the Pharaohs was broken; Japan has become Westernized; of China nothing can be said; but India is still, somehow or other, sound at the foundation. The people of Europe learn their lessons from the writings of the men of Greece or Rome, which exist no longer in their former glory. In trying to learn from them, the ...more
AK
Ha, who rates primary source historical documents on goodreads? "Better luck next time, Gandhi! 3.5 stars"

This is one of Gandhi's first texts, written in 1909, in which he lays out his arguments for Indian home rule. He advocates for an Indian nationalism not based on imitating the British in any way, describing British (and Western) civilization as a sickness. A lot here against machinery, against lawyers, against Western doctors, against trains, against violence. You can see that the basis of
Alex Marcus
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hind Swaraj or Gandhi's definition to freedom is so far the most direct contact with Gandhi's thought. Whether one agrees with what he says or not is another question, the book in all its esteem serves its complete purpose. It is no doubt the primary source to Gandhi's understanding of the world and exceptionally answers the question why we have never had another Mahatma amongst us. His views on civilization, specifically Western and Indian, alienation towards railways and advancement and ...more
Sundar
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sundar by: Kingsley
Good book to understand Gandhian philosophy. Essentially, he has tried to work around game theoretic limitations by appealing to wisdom. Maybe, by creating a vibe across the society, and maintaining a better environment, a culture which avoids the pitfalls of prisoner's dilemma can be created. Since it's not an equilibrium state, I don't know how it can be sustained over large populations (in tribes it would work much better). But, Gandhi's was a close attempt. Apart from ahimsa and passive ...more
Rameshwaranand
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always knew that gandhi was inspired by Leo Tolstoy, but never thought that he would come to being such a pity soul in flesh and blood ever born on earth. Today the populace is severly limited by the ingenuity that existed since time immemorial untill the advent of industrial revolution. every new line boldens up the spirit of human effort. It also very subtly forecasts how the very vitals of Indianness will eventually degenerate.What a way to interlink nationalism with mechanisation. ...more
Deepak
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian
The book I read was a translated version which is obvious bcoz the original text is in gujrati which i cant understand.
The same i can say about his views which are quite radical and regressive. Though at some points I do agree to him but most of the things that he has mentioned in the book are quite contrary to mine or any modern day person's beliefs.
At the same time I do believe that that he was a great personality and my differences with him may be due to the fact that I am seeing all his
Matthew Rothschild
Gandhi's philosophy, laid out as a (practically Platonic) dialogue. "Home rule" seems to refer to individual power over one's life rather than political freedom from the British (which he almost flat out says at one point). Many ideas seem anti-modern and reactionary (e.g. doctors are bad), but can be explained with Gandhi's project of individual growth in mind (doctors are bad because they prove that you are not taking care of yourself (gross oversimplification)). Spells out his belief in the ...more
Rohan Shedage
This is the first of Gandhiji's writings I've read. I can not say if I am impressed or not...but I can say I am distilled. Gandhiji's outright rejection of everything that is western (ranging from doctors to lawyers to trains to machinery to education) comes as surprise to me.

His idea of Swaraj is certainly noble BUT...read for yourself and know why there is this *but*?
Praveen Sinha
It had many points which I couldn't agree on. But his vision is some interest to me. Specially in context of the changing technology. Please check the blog for my take on it: http://contemplatingme.wordpress.com/...
Thanks.
Sarath Krishnan
The philosophic dimensions he have given to the everyday life and the simple way he adopt really make it a simple experience; but the profound truth he expressed will remain in our psyche for a long time..
MG
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Partly agree, partly disagree.
Key message is that quest for material benefits have to be replaced by desire for ethical living. With this I agree but not with the assertion that we are better off without railways or doctors or machines.
Tarun Rattan
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gandhi Ji's unique take on Indian home rule is a fascinating read. It's amazing to know how Gandhi Ji was convinced about the superiority of Indian culture over western and how he tears apart the myth of so called western civilization.
Natalia
A great book to understand the philosophy of Gandhi, yet, I disagree with many of his arguments.
Josh
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the book that lets on Gandhi's unique and radical ideas of politics and colonialism.
Yognik1789
A starting text to understand Gandhi. Absolutely indispensable.
« previous 1 3 next »

• India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy
  • गोदान [Godan]
  • Anandamath
  • The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude... and You Change Your Life!
  • Gitanjali
  • Why I Am Not a Hindu
  • Black Skin, White Masks
  • Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal
“A man, whilst he is dreaming, believes in his dream; he is undeceived only when he is awakened from his slumber.” 45 likes
“In reality, there are as many religions as there are individuals.” 5 likes