Start by marking “The Detective: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Detective: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner, #0.5)

The Detective: A Nathan McNamara Story

(The Soul Summoner 0.5)

This is an alternate cover edition for B017DSORBE

With eleven missing women to find and six high-profile burglary cases to solve, the last thing Detective Nathan McNamara needs in his life is one more complication. And that’s exactly what his recent one-night stand is becoming—complicated. With his heinous lieutenant breathing down his neck for answers and his accidental
Published July 2016 by Forge Creek Press (first published November 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Detective, please sign up.
Robin I just looked it up on Amazon and it apprears to be a prequel to the Soul Summoner series. I think it tells the back story of Nate. At least one…moreI just looked it up on Amazon and it apprears to be a prequel to the Soul Summoner series. I think it tells the back story of Nate. At least one reviewer said that it would make a good stand alone if it were longer and it got mostly good reviews. I am currently reading Soul Summoner and I am enjoying it a lot so I went looking for more books in the series. I kind of wish I would have read this one first. (less)

Start your review of The Detective: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner, #0.5)
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
I received an ARC of this book from author for a fair and honest review

A not-so-thrilling thriller

The novel was interesting and well-written. But for me it lacked "the thrill" I anticipated for.

The characters were interesting. Detective McNamara is cocky and funny. Shannon is a clingy chick who somehow manages to gain a spot in detective's heart.

Now about the case.... Ah !
The progress on the case was too slow. It was more like a light romantic novel rather than a fast paced thriller.
Linda Strong

This is the prequel (novella) to THE SOUL SUMMONER series. Although a part of a series, this is a stand alone.

Detective Nathan McNamara has his hands full. His latest one night stand is becoming anything but. Just his luck, he picked up on Shannon .. who works for a news station.

While trying to dodge her attentions, he's working a string of burglary cases. But when the robbers find a young girl in their latest target, they don't hesitate to kill her.

With his lieutenant screaming for the cases
Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Detective by Elicia Hyder

A prequel for the Soul Summoner series, this book is a bit of background on Detective Nathan McNamara. A typical single male cop. Dedicated to the job and easily swayed by a hot female and also listens to his mother.

A good intro to Nathan and his background but definitely read this novella within the series. By itself, it’s incomplete. I enjoyed it because I’m reading the Soul Summoner series and it’s always fun to get more character depth.
Tracy
I always hesitate about writing a review about the contents of the book because I don't want to give anything away. The back cover of the book covers that!

I really liked this book...it was a good read and a quick read. I liked that I read it AFTER reading the first Soul Summoner book. I would definitely recommend that. It was cool to get a little insight into Nathan McNamara and how he got to where he did.

I cannot wait for the second book in the series to come out. March 2016 can't come quick
Alicia Huxtable
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short story on one of The Soul Summoner series main characters gives a good insight into Detective McNamara.
Martha
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating 4.25. I met the very attractive (okay, -- "yummy" is a better description) Detective Nathan McNamara in The Soul Summoner. This short story fills in his history and how he got involved with Shannon, his stalking girlfriend in the next book.

Nate is ducking his unpleasant superior while pursuing the investigation of a rash of robberies. The criminals left a victim at one of the scenes, turning the case into a homicide investigation. Nate is relentless in his efforts despite the negative
Beth
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some are saying it is a prequel to The Soul Summoner, the read is so short ... to me it is a look into Elicia Hyder ... I have yet to read anything from her before ... I am I will be checking more into her work ... from what I can see I need to keep reading and pick up The Soul Summoner, to keep up the storyline ... That this book is a bit of each tidbits to it all. We will see ... after I read that one. I enjoyed it. ( ;
Diane
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series had been waiting on my kindle to be read for some time now, and I dove in last night. The Detective is the prequel to the series with just a sneak peak at Nathan McNamara and a brief view into what drives him. I like him.

This was a quick read, it took me a couple of hours and then I jumped right into the first book in the Soul Summoner series...I'm very anxious to see what happens next.
Crystal
This was a quick read and gave us some of Nathan’s backstory. I do have to admit, if I had read this first, I probably wouldn’t have liked Nathan as much as I did throughout the series. His character has definitely evolved from this story, in such a good way. But I still enjoyed it and can’t wait to read the next book in the series!
Curly's  Ramblings
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review: The Detective is a short story regarding Nathan’s story prior to relocating to Ashville. The story was interesting and entertaining but it didn’t really add to the overall series. It would be nice to have his POV for the beginning of the series. The narrator did an awesome job!
Angela Verdenius
I enjoyed this introduction very much. Not sure about Shannon, she seemed a little desperate to land Nathan! LOL But then I guess when you meet a man you’re interested in, what’s wrong with being a little more upfront about it? Nothing! Characters were interesting. I’ll definitely check out the next in the series.
Tracy T.
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Prequel story. Great narration (audible review)

This was a good prequel to Nathan's book. Got to know him better and how he ended up with Shannon. I like him even more now than I did before.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and totally recommend it.

The narration was great. Carson Beck did a great job. The women sounded like women and he has a nice reading voice.
Aly
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so when I saw this book on instafreebie I had to get it and read more of this series. I really enjoyed Nathan. He is one of the great characters in this series! This book of course is all about him and maybe finding a girlfriend. I think Nate "noot noot" is a great guy. Great book, if you are wondering about this series you should try this book!
Deborah
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
This short prequel to The Soul Summoner series fills in a lot of background information on Detective Nathan McNamara in an entertaining story.
I have to say, at first, even knowing the character from the other books, I didn’t find myself warming to him because of his attitude to his one night stand. It might be realistic, but I was not impressed by him until he actually started to look at Shannon as a human being, rather than an intrusive irritation. Once he did, the story rolled along really
Sharon
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
OK, I only gave it a four star but that's not bad. I think this must have been the first, or a pre-cursor to the Soul Summoner series. It is about Nate and gives the background that got him to Asheville and ends with him meeting Sloan, or rather brushing by her and wanting to follow her. It was funny and good and I love Nate's character in the series books 1 and 2. I started liking him really well in this one. It also gives Shannon a stage, but I think book 2 may have her exit? Not sure. All I ...more
Linda
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I freely chose to review this ARC from an author unknown to me and OH NO SHE DIDN'T leave me hanging! What a fast moving and action packed book that had me riveted to my seat, and it's only book one! Detective Nathan McNamara was on the case of eleven missing your girls all over North Carolina, and he was nowhere close to much needed answers. To top it off, he had to overlap with burglaries and was working 72 hours! Then a one night stand wouldn't take the hint and kept popping up to distract ...more
Annette  Dahl "Old Vicarious Reader"
Clean cut story. Actually, this is the type of book I started with. No need for erotic detail. When it reads, he woke up with a beautiful blonde on his shoulder I know what happened.

This was a simple story about boys and girls. Boy is 29, out of town one night stands turns into what appeared as girl getting the boy.

This was a quick free read with a cliffhanger that only promised a role for Nathan, so I don't know if he ended up with the girl or not. I liked the story okay, just not enough to
Stephanie
A good quick read. Less than 100 pages.This had a little romance but it was focused more on solving the 11 missing women case and the burglary case. This was a good introduction to the thinking of Nathan (the main charcter of the series). This was a good writing style and I look forward to more by this author.
Erth
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time reader of this author and now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative series. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this series.
Vered
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book when I signed up to the author's newsletter. I love the Soul Summoner series. This prequel isn't as good as the main books, but it does provide some background to one of the main characters, so it's definitely worth reading. The series itself is awesome.
Irma
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid short story. I liked the writing style.
Dawn Marie Pennington
Stars: 4 (for overall story)
Chilies: 2 (for 'heat' factor)
Chapters: 13 (Novella)
Ends: Cliff hanger alert…perfect set up for next novel!
Series:
The Detective
The Soul Summoner
The Siren
The Death Angel
Characters:
Nathan McNamara – THE DETECTIVE in Wake County
Shannon Green – Reporter for WKCN news (and new girlfriend)
Ramon Edgar – IT technician for the department
Dennis Morgan – Trustee (Hacking wizard)
Lieutenant William Carr – ‘Resident Asshole’ and Detective McNamara’s Boss
Sheriff Lyle
Donald Mclean
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are considering reading the Soul Summoner books, then it could be argued that you should read this first. It could also be argued that this book is unnecessary, and some might even find it boring (nothing supernatural happens in this book).

I found the book to be interesting and a good lead in to the rest of the series. But then, I'm very much a fan of reading series in "internal chronological order", rather than publication order.

Either way, I strongly recommend this series. Although it
SacBibliophile
Didn't like narrator (audiobook) especially when he was doing women's voices

Sooooo different from authors other work (LOVED LOVED LOVED LIGHTS OUT LUCY).

not sure how I feel about the "hero" liking/wearing "I plead the 2nd" gun-"rights" propaganda and insta-love statements when his girlfriend pulls out her gun from her purse.... especially when same character (in next book) makes a comment about how frequent school shootings are.... It it just an accurate portrayal of a man from that area of the
Kat
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, mystery, series
This is a short story that goes along with the summoner series and i really liked the story and the detective character Nathan.. His character was sweet, kind, caring, sassy and good at doing his job.. This book has some good mystery plot lines and i did like the romance part that Nathan had in this book..

This book is a really good detective story and it has a lot of good characters through this book.. I read this book in one sitting and it made me want to start the series.. It was also great
Annette Miranda
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective McNamara has his plate full with a high profile robbery case and his own search for the story behind his sister's disappearance. As pieces start to fall into place a gorgeous blonde reporter entwines herself into his life. Suspense and humor color this fun background story to one of my favorite characters. Nathan McNamara a detective and main character in the Summoner series by Elicia Hyder, is definitely worth the read!
Michelle
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. This book was good insight into Nathans family dynamic, how he came to know and date Shannon, and highlighted the other reasons he made the move to Asheville. I can see why other reviewers said they would have liked to have read this one first, but I am glad that I read the first book in the series before reading this one. I liked being able to get to know the other characters in more depth, then getting a peak into Nathan's world before Asheville. Happy reading out there!

Krystina
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novella. I got it for free from the end of the the Soul Summoners book set, and it was awesome to see Nathan from this point of view before he met Sloan. It was nice to get to know Noot-Noot better in this quick glimpse into his life pre Soul Summoners chaos. I still can't decide who I love more, Nate or Warren. (This is honestly the only love triangle where I'm rooting for BOTH MEN to end up with the heroine lol).
Hanna Kubeczka
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this book was a prequel until the end...when it just ended with so much left to be answered! It was a good, quick read though and we get to know Nathan McNamara who is apparently the main character of the Soul Summoner Series - which I haven't read, but am starting now. The very last scene was a little odd to me so I am hoping it's explained as I start the next book. I do like the style of writing a lot and enjoy the 1st person perspective.
Charles Markee
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across Detective by Elicia Hyder while looking for a mystery that was entertaining, engaging and just a little different. I certainly found it. The dialogue is crisp and up to date. Nathan is believable as a character and easy to identify with as a hero. Theses are things I look to create in my middle-grade novels. This author has me hooked. I just bought another Kindle book, the Soul Summoner. I expect it to be just as good as Detective.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dark Hope (The Devil's Assistant, #1)
  • Wake the Dead (The Journals of Octavia Hollows Book 1)
  • The Longest Fall (Whisper Lake, #1)
  • Private Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery, #2)
  • Evil Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery, #3)
  • Ethan (Moonlight Wolves Book 5)
  • Up to No Good (The Siren Island Series, #2)
  • Kato (Moonlight Wolves, #2)
  • Lukas (Moonlight Wolves, #1)
  • Advanced Green Smoothies: Better Health Through Unusual Ingredients
  • Bitter Prophecy
  • Big-Ass Salads: 31 Easy Recipes for Your Healthy Month
  • Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A Practical Patient Guide to Help Maximize Your Weight Loss Results
  • The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen, #0.4)
  • Natural Dual-Mage (Magical Mayhem #3)
  • Cold Blood (Dirty Blood, #2)
  • Blood Bond (Dirty Blood, #3)
  • Dark Gift (Shadow and Light #4)
Elicia Hyder is a bestselling author of paranormal suspense and contemporary romance. You can get a FREE eBOOK by clicking this link: Get The Detective for FREE.

When I'm not writing, I can be found sipping craft beer in my blow-up swimming pool or beating my children at Harry Potter trivia. I am married to a superhero and have two dogs with severe separation anxiety. I suck at CAPTCHA puzzles and

The Soul Summoner (8 books)
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
  • The Siren (The Soul Summoner, #2)
  • The Angel of Death (The Soul Summoner, #3)
  • The Taken (The Soul Summoner, #4)
  • The Sacrifice  (The Soul Summoner, #5)
  • The Regular Guy: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner #6)
  • The Soul Destroyer (The Soul Summoner #7)
  • The Guardian (The Soul Summoner #8)