Start by marking “Estranged” as Want to Read:
Estranged

Estranged

Edmund and the Childe were swapped at birth. Now Edmund lives in secret as a changeling in the World Above, with fae powers that make him different from everyone else—even his unwitting parents and older sister, Alexis. The Childe lives among the fae in the World Below, where being human makes him an oddity at the royal palace, and where his only friend is a wax golem name ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Estranged, please sign up.
Ethan Aldridge I'm happy to say that there will indeed be a sequel! I'm working as fast as possible on the artwork right now.

Cori Reed
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

LOVED this! Totally gave me Amulet vibes.
Mar
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, arcs
I really, really enjoyed this! The artwork is beautiful, and the story was captivating. Full review to come.
laureneliza
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this is extremely my shit
fay stuff
found families
magic
a dragon
everyone has cool hair
Sandra
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute solid middle grade fantasy. Maybe a little too much shoved in, but I think the fast pace will appeal to a lot of kids. (Also, I love the pigeons being horrid gossips throwaway line...)
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it a lot! Good story beats, relatable and interesting characters. Would love to see more in the world. Good magic system. Not queer, sadly.
Alex
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
My rating is based off of the advance read copy that I won from Goodreads. This graphic novel is a lot of fun. It is well drawn and interesting. I was a little disappointed by the ARC because it wasn't in color which made reading it feel kind of like I was reading a rough draft. The reason that I gave it four stars instead of five is that the ending is a little too pat. It is a children's novel so that might not be something that bothers the intended audience but it took a little bit away from t ...more
Michelle
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What would it be like to know you don't belong?  I mean, truly don't belong.  To know that you are a human amongst fay, or fay amongst humans?  To know that your family is not the one decided by birth, but rather by the whims of others?

Edmund knows that he doesn't belong with his parents and sister Alexis.  It's more than preteen angst-he isn't human.  He's able to start fires with his mind and change his appearance to look human.  But Edmund can't return home, a changeling is in his place.  The
Ally
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I feel that I might be a bit biased considering I am a big fan of Ethan's art work. I actually own a few prints by him and hope to continue to grow my collection. This being said, I have had his book on pre-order since the day it was available and I was super excited when the ARC arrived on my door step.

The ARC is in black and white, which doesn’t let me see the novel in its full and
Bridgett Brown
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, fantasy, comic
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
This is a story about 2 boys. 1 is Fae and the other is a human.
The sorceress Hawthorne takes his parents away and takes over the World Below, so the Childe must find the changeling who replaced him in the human world. When the Childe finds Edmund, he also finds out about the life he's missing, the life with his real parents.
The Childe joins Edmund and travels to the World Below. Together they have to save the throne, Thankfully they also have the help of
Joel
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I get a graphic novel, the thing I look at first is the art. The art is what drew me to this. It is very well done with some interesting and cool character designs. Unfortunately, the art could not hide the shortcomings of the story. The first 3rd of the story is the best, with the introduction of the world and characters. The inclusion of the older sister was great. I only wish there could have been more of her in the story. The middle of the story is too simple, boring, and feels half-bak ...more
High Plains Library District
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gabriele
As one who doesn’t read graphic novels very frequently, I rather enjoyed Estranged by Ethan Aldrige. Both the detailed artwork and the wonderful dialogue made this novel very easy to read alongside young children.

Aldridge takes common folk lore and brings it into a modern world. What happens to the children switched by the fae or faeries? In this tale, both the changeling and the human child have grows up in world which doesn’t understand them. However, when confronted with possibility to return
Joshua
Oct 04, 2018 added it
I loved this! I really don’t read a ton of graphic novels but I saw the cover, liked the art style and was intrigued. This is true for the entire novel, great art that sucks you in. The concept was neat and I really liked the entire cast of characters. A fun adventure and escape. I recommend picking Estranged up. Definitely excited for more!
Rachel
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
ashley (saidthestory)
This was a super cute, fast-paced, well illustrated graphic. I loved the art & the idea! I did feel the world could have been developed more, but that would have required the graphic to be a series, so I grasp why it wasn’t. However, I definitely felt i wanted more - which can only be a good sign.

All in all - super adorable graphic with wonderful art.
Rachel
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a quick read that really sucked me in. I can't wait to share it with my kids, and I'll definitely be checking out the sequel. I am always here for changelings and golems and dragons and whatnot.
Emmers
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute and I loved the fae and goblin designs, made me think of Labyrinth. c:
Veronica
Listen, I loved this graphic novel. The art is STUNNING and the story was wonderfully done. Highly, highly recommend.
Elevetha
3.5 stars.

Solid graphic novel with good art (!!) and all about found families and fey and siblings and I guess overthrowing corrupt and false systems of government. Love the focus on family!
Virginia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I want 5000 more of these immediately
Yvonne Olson
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've always liked the tales of Changelings.
The illustrations in this are beautiful.
I have nothing else to say.
Laura Henry
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m in love with this story and I need more. This is such a beautiful tale with beautiful art. This is a story for anyone who has always felt out of place and dreamed of being brave.
Olga Margolina
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this was a cute story and message and the graphics were well done.
Lorraine
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good graphic novel. I enjoyed it.
Sandra Stedge
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Will there be more books?
Samantha
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the concept, the characters, and the art style. This was a good quick read.
Christine Hwang
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With a riveting story line and vivid graphic artistic style, Estranged is about two changelings who are forced to meet when an evil sorceress threatens to destroy the fairy world.
Katie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are beautiful!! A graphic novel is really the best way to display all of the amazing talent Ethan has. The story itself is on the simpler side - a really good fit for young readers. For more adult readers, it does feel like it has the potential for more depth. Would definitely recommend for young readers to get them interested in graphic novels and for anyone older than that who would like a quick and charming read.
Cindy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
"THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A ROMANCE AND A TRAGEDY IS HOW IT ENDS, DON'T YOU THINK?"

This was a buddy read. Thanks, Alex!! Estranged was more of a 4.5 for me. The world building was spot on. A lot of creativity went into this graphic novel, not only with the artwork but with the story and characters as well. I really liked Whick. Even though they were fashioned out of wax they were more than just an animated object. They often acted in a selfless way and were a true friend to both boys. I would
Meg (PopReadsBox)
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I loved the artwork in this graphic novel. Absolutely stunning! You have to see for yourself the amazing creativity of this author to create this story and then draw all the artwork to go along with the vision. I can't wait to see the full color edition!
This story is about two boys, one knows the reason why he doesn't belong and the other suspects he is different. They go on a journey which turns both worlds upside down and creates new realities for themselves along the way. Highly rec
Scott Robins
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-kids
A solid, self contained fantasy story about changelings, fairies, an underground kingdom and an evil sorceress. The strength in this is the integration of ideas and concepts found in LGBTQ stories like coming out and chosen families. Hoping that Aldridge moves to more overt queer representation in later books.
Ethan Aldridge is a New York Times bestselling illustrator and author living in New York City. He is the creator of ESTRANGED, an urban fantasy graphic novel (HarperCollins 2018).

Ethan was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas and raised in a (very) small town in Utah, where his parents read him books about dragons and ghosts. Growing up, Ethan’s favorite things to draw were monsters and whatever dinosau