Start by marking “The Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Shoot, and Score in This Game Called Life” as Want to Read:
The Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Shoot, and Score in This Game Called Life

The Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Shoot, and Score in This Game Called Life

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,282 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
You gotta know the rules to play the game. Ball is life. Take it to the hoop. Soar. What can we imagine for our lives? What if we were the star players, moving and grooving through the game of life? What if we had our own rules of the game to help us get what we want, what we aspire to, what will enrich our lives?

Illustrated with photographs by Thai Neave, The Playbook is
Published February 14th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Playbook, please sign up.
Susan Most of the book is written in verse.

Beth Parmer
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book I could picture all of the middle school students I wanted to hand it to, ones that would devour it in their rooms in one night, ones that would sneak-read it during class, ones that would jot down a few of the quotes that really struck them, ones that needed a lift or a push or some reassurance. It will grab the attention of sports fans, but non-sports fans will be enamored with it, too. Will also make an excellent gift for coaches and grads.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

This book is a collection of rules, quotes, and short snippets of biographical and autobiographical inspirational stories. It is well illustrated with photographs from Thai Neave as well as drawing and fun text that look like the cover at left. (I can't find the information for the book designer, but that person is the real start of this effort.) The stories are interesting enough, but this is one of those books that I'm not quite sure what to do with. It's
Steph
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nbhs, read-2017
Rules for life. #3WordBookReview

Kwame Alexander mixes personal stories, the stories of athletes, and inspirational quotes to outline 52 rules for a successful life.

This will be great for reluctant readers: each double spread page contains a rule and an appropriate quote, and it is highly visual with illustrations, photographs and dynamic text. I will definitely be buying more copies for my school library!
Kayla Leitschuh
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed full of inspiration. I loved it!
Katie Lalor
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! It's a really quick read for readers that need to feel inspired and/or motivated, either academically, socially, or even athletically. Kwame does a great job at retelling people's stories so young readers can understand and learn from it. The rules and quotes from well known athletes and artists are great reminders at what life is really about.
Sara
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, and I'm not into sports, at all. However, it is so relevant to life, and especially overcoming failure.
Rita Shaffer
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good message and I can picture students who will enjoy the sports connections. (I think Brody might like this one too.)
Kristy K
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, reference
Motivational. Inspirational. Uplifting.
C.J. O'B
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
While reading this book, I really enjoyed reading all the different rules and saying's that can be related to sports, and life. I also enjoyed reading some of the stories from the author, Kwame Alexander's life, and other athletes such as Lebron and the Williams sisters. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Kwame Alexander's books and sports.
Shannon
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2017
Read Harder 2017: Sports Book

I really enjoyed this book. I am not - and will never be - an athlete, but this book made me want to work harder and be more goal oriented. It also made me want to read Alexander's other books. If you have a young athlete - or just young reader - in your life who needs some encouragement, give them this book.
Mitchell W.
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Book that Is Truly Inspiring
The Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Shoot, and Score in This Game Called Life, written by Kwame Alexander is truly inspiring. With its amazing quotes, tremendous craft, and unique writing style, this book is for anyone who needs something inspirational.
This book is about the life of Kwame Alexander, and what he did throughout his life to become the best person he could be. He wanted to become a star in basketball, but then he realized basketball wasn’t for him. He trie
Finn Moher
I thought this book was really good, and I like the style of writing its written in. The main idea of this book is to tell you rules of life.
This book tells you many rules to basketball but they also are rules to life. He compares life to basketball and how some of the rules are the same. There are lots of quotes from athletes that are known all over and loved by many people.
I thought this book was good and the meaning of the book was good it wasn’t very hard to read and it didn’t take long but
Aaron Sauceda
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Sho-" yea yea yea let's skip to the book. THIS BOOK IS AWESOME! I really LOOOOOOOVE the way the author organized this book is just... interesting, in it's own cool and mysterious sort of way. It's a pretty short book although it has lots of pages. But the way he would write a mini-story about a professional athlete such as LeBron James, and after that puts 13 rules to help you step up your game in whatever it is. I would recommend this book to everyone that needs ...more
Sophia K.
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-april-16
I liked this book a lot, it was divided into quarters, like a sports game. It had a whole bunch of quotes and life lessons by many different athletes. Since I am not into sports, I liked how some of the quotes weren't from athletes, but they blended in to all the other quotes. This showed that life lessons are the same, no matter what you are doing. You still need practice, a will to learn what you are doing, and passion. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for some mind blowing lesson ...more
Ron
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that gives you rules for life that tend to have a sports flavor to them. The book is divided into quarters and each quarter starts with a few pages from the author on his life. All of the rules have a quote from a famous athlete that also makes for interesting reading. If you have a child that is athletic, then this might be a good book for them.
Jenifer Jacobs
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I would love anything written by Kwame Alexander. This is one great for young people - especially aspiring athletes. I don't think I appreciated the life lessons of organized sports (not having stuck with any sport other than gymnastics very long). But with sweet quotes from athletes and inspiring life histories about others, this is a quick read that packs a punch.
Liz
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun and inspirational quick read. The visuals are well done. It would make a great gift for someone who is an athlete or making a change in their life such as graduation or a new adventure.
Levi
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This was alright. Maybe my brain was just combining everything together, but it seemed like many of rules were almost identical to each other. Some of the stories were really inspiring too though. I would recommend this to anyone who likes motivational books.
anna
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Excellent, inspirational book for middle schoolers - especially athletes. Especially inviting with the use of quotes from famous people, personal anecdotes, photos, and graphics. Although only a 3-star book for me, I can easily see it as a 5-star for the target audience. The end pages are perfect.
Joy Kirr
I need to get this book for my 6th grade nephew. He loves sports, but isn't the best at them. These lessons could also help anyone who wants to get better at LIFE. A quick read with very inspiring quotes I'll be using for a long, long time.
Ms. Rose
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Really cool concept I'm excited to share with kids.
Ellie F
Really good i like how it had 4 sections and a half time in the middle! (I read it in one day)
Christine
Great book and good rules for life. This is a great one for kids in sports.
Beth
Excellent! I want to buy this book for every athlete!!! VERY INSPIRING!!!
Ashley Molloy
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-boys
A great book of inspiration for basketball ball players or anyone really. Great for kids or adults.
Gary Anderson
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon ...
Hayden Gramm
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! It has a lot of motivation in it and tells you to never give up on sports and keep trying to find your sport and once you find it never stop playing.
Melinda
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kwame Alexander does a great job of coming up with motivational quotes, and pairing them up with what other well known athletes, coaches, and poets. I love this book.
Brenda Kahn
Inspirational poems and quotes attractively packaged. For fans of the author and b-ball.
Anne
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an inspirational book written by the author of The Crossover and Booked. It is very sports oriented, has lots of quotes from a wide variety of famous people (although a majority of them are sports celebrities), a few short stories, and lots of great photographs.
Frankly, I don't know that my middle school students will be all that interested in it, even though they really enjoyed his fiction books. Definitely more of a browsing type book than something to read cover to cover, even though
Kwame Alexander is a poet, educator, and New York Times Bestselling author of 21 books, including THE CROSSOVER, which received the 2015 John Newbery Medal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American literature for Children, the Coretta Scott King Author Award Honor, The NCTE Charlotte Huck Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, and the Passaic Poetry Prize. Kwame writes for children ...more
More about Kwame Alexander
“Find your grit and put in the work to elevate your game. Champions train. Chumps complain.” 2 likes
“We all have what it takes to do exactly what we want to do in life, no matter what anyone else says. If someone tells you, “You can’t do this because you are [fill in the blank],” I say embrace the challenge. Wear it like a new pair of Converse or Jordans. Meet it head-on.” 2 likes