Start by marking “Running Through Sprinklers” as Want to Read:
Running Through Sprinklers

Running Through Sprinklers

Two life-long best friends grow up and begin to grow apart in this honest, deeply felt middle grade debut.

Sara and Nadine.
Nadine and Sara.

It’s only ever been the two of them. Two halves of the same person. Best friends forever—until they aren’t.

Everything has changed this year. Nadine has suddenly skipped a grade and gone to high school without Sara. No matter how hard s
Published April 17th 2018 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Running Through Sprinklers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Through Sprinklers

Kaitlin
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel hooked me with its whip smart, compelling voice from the start. By the end, I felt like I too had experienced the upheavals of young adulthood and had truly transitioned in a coming of age that the protagonist went through. I enjoyed the female friendships this novel explored in all their intimacy and intricacies. I think young readers will connect deeply with this story of what it’s like growing up in the suburbs, with the added nuance of race, sexuality, and mother-daughter relation ...more
Summer
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
It never outright says so, but given the hints throughout the story, I believe this is set in the early 1990’s, so if you’re an adult of a certain age there’s a great nostalgic feeling even without it being overly specific, and for kid readers, even without the present day touchstones like cellphones or social media, it very much captures what it’s like to be eleven or twelve years old. No matter where or when you grew up, everyone has been where Sara’s at in Running Through Sprinklers, struggli ...more
Ashley
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was interesting, and way too accurate for life. I found the MC to be a bit unlikable though she was not even a teen yet so I can't blame her for her actions right? She really was acting her age.

This hits on friend loss/gain/growing up and it does an accurate job - losing my best friend when I was in Grade 5 and her moving away was one of the hardest things ever - luckily for me we still talk to this day (YAY best friends) but people grow apart and this book accurately portrays that.

I
Katie Fitzgerald
Sara loves living next door to her best friend, Nadine Ando on their cul-de-sac in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. The two girls are inseparable, and Sara is looking forward to starting grade seven and experiencing all the milestones of the last year of elementary school with her best friend by her side. It comes as a huge shock, therefore, when Nadine drops the bombshell that she will actually be skipping a grade and going to high school (grade eight) a year early. Sara feels utterly betrayed ...more
Emma Dyer
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous book and a feast for the senses. It will speak to anyone of any age who has ever lost or found a close friend. And her descriptions of food are genius! I gobbled up the book whole in one sitting but it would be equally enjoyable to linger on each short chapter at a time and enjoy the vivid evocation of the lives of this close-knit group of characters ... what they eat, what they wear and what is most important in their lives. It's a beautiful fusion of poetry and prose and one ...more
Aurélien
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The constant push and pull between the softness and the harshness that the characters' relationship go through was riveting and constantly kept me on edge to see how, and if, the resolution would ever come.
Marathon County Public Library

Sara and Nadine have always had each other, since forever, or at least since they were small and both living on the same cul-de-sac, literally minutes away from each other. That is, until everything changed. It was seventh grade and they were both supposed to be starting together as they always did, until Nadine suddenly announces, almost right before school starts, that she is skipping a grade and going straight to high school. High school! They won't even be at the same school! Sara is distrau

Mo
The thing I remember finding most puzzling about fiction when I was growing up was that friends played such an unimportant role in characters' lives. The central relationships in Running through Sprinklers are friendships and sibling relationships, and they are remarkably beautiful, bittersweet, and believable. The MC is likable, but there are times she treats people terribly in ways that felt so recognizable they made me squirm. I cannot say strongly enough how much I love this middle-grade deb ...more
Jill Jemmett
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great middle grade novel about real life.

Sara tells this story through her memories and things that are happening to her right now. The story takes place throughout one year, her last year of elementary school. She experiences many things, such as losing friends, making friends, puberty, and even a friend going missing.

Some of the things that Sara goes through are sad, but it reflects real life. Her friendship with her best friend, Nadine, breaks apart when Nadine is moved ahead a grad
Ms. Yingling
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Decent enough tale of friends growing apart, probably set in the 1990s (there were several mentions of Cabbage Patch Dolls). The mystery of the missing boy seemed like it should take up more of the plot, especially since this could have used more of a framework to propel the action.

Not sure.
Cindy
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, funny, and heartbreaking story about best friends and growing up. My 9-yr-old read it and recommended it -
Loved this book so much.
Janice
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a VERY disappointing read for me. The book received a high score from most readers so I thought it would be a fabulous read when actually it was quite dull. Sarah’s best friend goes to high school right after grade seven and leaves Sarah to find the way to survive middle school.
My chief complaint with the book is that it was hard to believe these girls were in grade 7 or going into grade 7 because they acted more like kids in grade 4 or 5.
Joshua
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Running Through Sprinklers is a touching reflection on growing up. Things will always change; hopefully we learn about ourselves in the process. There's a real theme through the book about the extent to which we know that things will change, but pretend otherwise as we cling to what we know; in the words of the last chapter, after one character whispers 'nothing is going to change': "we both know this is a lie, because things always change. Still, it sounds better and feels better to say this, t ...more
Lindsay
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, juvenile
Sara was highly immature for a 12 year old. I'm not sure what Daniel's purpose in this story was. And this read like a play, for instance:

Me: It's sunny today.
Nadine: Very nice.
Me: Let's eat ice-cream.
Later:
At ice cream store: I got bubblegum ice-cream and Nadine got strawberry.
Tiffani Reads
* I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

This book is cute and an easy read for sure but I found myself wondering what it’s actually about. Sara is immature and at times selfish, which could be perfectly normal but it just seemed to go against the grain of the story. At the beginning of the book her best friend (Nadine) skips a grade, landing her in high school. This is apparently the worst thing that can happen in Sara’s eyes and she spends a majority of the rest
Danielle Hammelef
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The writing style and immediate POV hooked me in right away and I connected with Sara. I enjoyed this story of family and friendship and think the voice was spot-on middle grade. The story takes place in the past, so the characters lived in a more "simple" time without the immediacy technology brings, so this was a refreshing change from other recent books I've read. One reason I didn't rate this book a 5 star, was towards the end, I felt some of Sara's actions were uncharacteristic and out of p ...more
Ellie
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall good, but what exactly is the time period of this book? I'm guessing 1990s, but I'm not entirely sure (nobody uses cell phones, the movie Ghost is alluded to)
I have cousins who remind me a lot of Nadine and Jen (14 and 12) who I've grown up with. The older one is super smart and skipped a grade, and she's always there for me too.
Also, WHAT HAPPENED TO DANIEL? That should have been resolved. I don't think it ever was.
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Explores friendship at that awkward age. Great read for girls 5 - 8 grade? Even a little older. I thought the author did a good job weaving a normal suburban existence into the concerns of a pre-teen/teen life.
A good mentor text for contemporary fiction without too much technology. It feels a little like it was set in the early 80's. No cell phone or internet really included but still felt current.
Richard Janzen
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! Captures the "coming of age" experiences of the grade 7 year of a young lady in Surrey BC going through complicated friendship, school and family issues. I especially liked the nostalgic glimpse of growing up in a suburban multicultural community, and the how a child might understand her own mixed culture identity.
Leon Chen
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very charming story with an immersive character development. Though a little bit immature at times, the story is very well-written and has a great touch of humour throughout. The important concepts of friendship and dealing with loss is illustrated in a both serious and adorable fashion, which makes this book a very enjoyable and relatable read for a teenager like myself.
Michelle
I received this novel as an ARC from Book Portage for an honest review.
This book took me back to my junior high days and reminded me how I never want to relive the feelings, hormones, and confusion over who I was and where I fit in. The author did a fantastic job of pulling me into the main character and making me care and empathize for her.
Laurie Burns
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Sweet little YA that I will definitely passing on to the young girls in my life. A true delight!
Phaea Crede
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I randomly grabbed this book on my way out of the library and WOW such a wonderful, well-told story. Adults and kids alike will relate to the story, and the writing is poetic and lovely.
Robin
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This debut middle reader is perfectly paced. Recounting how two twelve-year-olds grow apart as friends, this coming of age novel captures the best and worst of being a tween.
Deanna
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story about growing up!
Amita MV
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me of what I was like when I was 12!
Sallyeah
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute! I loved it!!! ^ .^
Pariya
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a delight! I've purchased and sent a copy to my BFF when I was growing up. A great way/excuse to reconnect!
Sam
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
This novel describes the life of a young girl in a realistic yet hilarious fashion. When I read the story, I could really relate to the time in my life. I recommend this book for men and women of any age.
Lisa Bu
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though I'm 17 years old, I could totally relate to this story. This book captures what it's like transition from being a child to a teenager. I loved this book; it was so adorable!

• Darkest Light
  • Alan Cole Is Not a Coward (Alan Cole, #1)
  • Sputnik's Guide to Life on Earth
  • Oddity
  • Love, Ish
  • One Mixed-Up Night
  • The Night Garden
  • The Hotel Between
  • The Memory of Forgotten Things
  • Charlie & Frog (A Castle-on-the-Hudson Mystery)
  • The Rule of Thirds
  • The Bubble Boy
  • Revenge of the Star Survivors
  • From the Grave (Monster or Die, #1)
  • Elizabeth and Zenobia