Start by marking “The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1)

The Accidental Demon Slayer

(Demon Slayer #1)

It's never a good day when an ancient demon shows up on your toilet bowl. For Lizzie Brown, that's just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. Just when she thinks she's seen it all, Lizzie learns she's a demon slayer -- and all hell is after her.

Of course, that's not the
Published July 1st 2008 by Love Spell (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Demon Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Demon Slayer

Start your review of The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1)
Angie
Jul 07, 2008 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Newly anointed with demon-fighting powers and suddenly able to hear the thoughts of her hilarious Jack Russell terrier, a preschool teacher finds a whole new world of dark and dangerous, including a sexy shape-shifting griffin she’s not entirely sure she can trust.

Yes, I'm a dork for adding my own book to my shelf, but it was a blast to write and I'm just so glad to have had the opportunity.
Evgeny
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lizzie Brown grew up with adoptive parents and she never knew her real family. Thus she was very excited to learn that her grandmother found her and was about to pay her a visit. We all know the differences between expectations and reality:
Expectation vs. Reality
This time it turned out to be an extreme case. Her grandmother was a hardcore biker and a real witch to boot. The moment she showed up in Lizzie's apartment, the poor unsuspecting woman was able to understand what her dog says (the guy is hilarious at times)
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008-reads
OK. Well, let's see if I can find something positive to say about this book. Ummm, hmmm, oh yeah! The dog is hilarious and the cover is kind of cute. That's it. Now I'll try to explain why I didn't like or enjoy this book.

I don't mind occasionally suspending reality. I do mind a total absence of reality, page after page after page. The entire story takes place in 3 or 4 days and in that time span, the heroine does a 180 on every character trait and behavior. Uh, huh. The sex in this 'paranormal
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
A fun start to a 30th birthday to find out that your a demon slayer from a grandmother you never met and also that your dog is such a chatterbox.
Bark
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Lizzie, a young school teacher discovers she's from a line of witches and that she's the latest "demon slayer" and has a destiny she's never known about. One minutes she's teaching little kids, the next her little doggie is talking to her and she's plopped on a Harley with a grandma she's only known for minutes and is expected to slay demons with next to no training and, of course, there's a hunky guy thrown in to save the day.

This book started out cutesy enough but devolved into a crazy,
Sláinte Wanderlust
I did not really enjoy the majority of this book, I found it all a bit scattered, disjointed, unbelievable and at times even down right silly. I realize the story is a fantasy, so it is allowed to be rather farcical but there were times when I actually shook my head, put the book down and considered not continuing at all. Lizzie is not even an interesting or funny character instead I just found her very annoying.
The dog was however funny and I liked him, he was probably the only plus in the
Sophia
Mar 31, 2017 marked it as dnf-set-aside-for-later  ·  review of another edition
I love the Southern Ghost Hunter series and was excited to pick up the first book of the author's Demon Slayer series.

The Accidental Demon Slayer started off rocky for me, but I can handle not getting connected with a story right away so I pressed on. I've been at this book for nearly a month off and on and I just can't seem to make a connection. Now, not a complete disconnect. No, I loved the overall story, exciting and mysterious happenings, comedic moments, and the building tension of the
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
While the book is well-enough written, I just couldn’t get past the protagonist, Lizzie. Okay, I take that back, part of what I didn’t like is that Lizzie is really all over the place with no consistency and little to pin anything so sophisticated as a personality on. And it didn’t help that the events, at least in the first quarter or so I read, were rather random as well. Things that appeared out of nowhere: a griffin, demons, pixies, oh, and a lake. No to mention a long-lost grandmother and ...more
Lydia
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is one of the few cases in which you're standing in the middle of the road, trying to decide whether to go left or right. Ladies and gentlemen, let's see our choices!

On the left, we have the too-used scenario of a girly girl, destined to be this awesome, kickass heroine who fights against all evil creatures and gets to sleep with the hottest hunk in the book. Note to self, STOP trying to compare Mac and Lizzie! Ok, I stopped - well, not really, there's honestly no comparison here, but
Emma
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-not-kept
Sadie Forsythe
2.5

Meh. I've seen it done before and done better. Mechanically the writing was fine, as was the editing but the story itself and the plotting...disastrous. It's a longish book. There should have been ample time to develop characters, a world and relationships However, Ms. Fox appears to have not bothered.

If this book was a cake, the eggs would still be in the shells (maybe even still in the container), the flour in its bag, the butter in the dish, the milk in the jug, etc, all tossed in a bowl
Cathy
Woman finds out that the supernatural exists and that she is an especially strong and gifted demon hunter, when her Harley-driving granny shows up to save her from evil. Demons chase them, they survive and meet tall, dark and handsome. Who is mysterious and a great kisser. And not entirely human. Potential love-interest. There is also a talking Jack Russel terrier, who doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Maybe comic relief, but not.

They escape to some bar, meet all the other biker witches, drink
Bet Lantaff
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: traded-out
While I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I found myself not itching to pick it up to read it. The storyline is great...organized, accountable, boring Lizzie finds out she is a slayer of demons from her Harley riding grandmother after she unexpectedly shows up at the same time that a menacing demon arises from Lizzie's toilet (that's what I said...toilet). Then Grandma proceeds to take Lizzie on the ride of her life with the other "biker witches" and one sexy griffin and, we can't forget, Lizzie's ...more
Judi
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win an ARC of this book by ANGIE FOX, and am I ever happy that I did! I believe that this is a debut novel from this author, and she comes into the paranormal romance writing arena with a bang.

This story is so chock full of wonderful, quirky, funny, sexy and scary characters that come to life and the wacky roller-coaster ride goes from start to finish. I LOVED it and hope that there will be more books about Lizzie, Dimitri, and Pirate along with all the other lively
Persis Menon
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this book, initially I thought it was a YA book and was about to pawn it off to my daughter, and then the sex seen was so intense I quickly told my daughter she wasn't able to read it!
I can't wait for the rest of the books to come out in audible, though I might just read them on my kindle too. They are hilarious and serious at the same time.
Leah
May 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
A.Z. Green
Okay so you think this is going to be pretty weird and wacky from first glance, and you'd be right. This book is awesomely crazy and wacky I'm actually contemplating creating a bookshelf just for that. Okay, done it :)

Lizzie, the MC is a hilarious character without even trying. Her narrative and dialogue never fail to have me in fits of giggles and she becomes stronger as a person as the novel progresses so if you didn't love her before, you will by the end.

The hot male protagonist, Dimitri is
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What is the book about?

Lizzie Brown is just about to turn thirty when her biological Grandmother shows up on her hog warning her of a change she's about to go through. Following Grandma's arrival, a demon erupts out of her toilet and Lizzie somehow manages to blast the demon into pieces.

Grandma throws her and her Jack Russel, Pirate on the back of the hog. Lizzie has no idea what is in store for her but she does know she's not cut out for this. She is a preschool teacher, incapable of fitting
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I'm sorry. I should have known I suppose but I thought I'd try it. It's a PNR (ParaNormal Romance). No problem there if that's what you're looking for. I'm not really a fan of PNR. I just couldn't get past the hot bodyguard dragging her against himself...his chest whatever. About the third time I gave up and returned the book to Audible.

I know a lot like these and they do have a bit of humor (the talking dog especially). So, not for me but still I'm sure some will like it.
Shelley
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
I have to agree that this book was sillier than watching paint dry on a long hot summer day. I skipped a bunch of pages while Lizzie and her protector decide whether or not to have sex. :::sigh::: Do I want to read the next book? ::shrug:: Time to go and watch that paint drying I guess!
D
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Like John Connolly's The Gates, The Accidental Demon Slayer made me think a lot about my preferred ratio of novelty and familiarity in straightforward escapist genre fiction. The Accidental Demon Slayer's mix is a bit too calculated for my taste -- Lizzie's struggle with her suddenly revealed identity as a chosen "slayer" and its accompanying unfamiliar powers seems to owe more than a small debt to a certain Joss Whedon-helmed franchise, while the target reader-identification demographic skews a ...more
Deena
This is one of the three worst books I've ever finished. I've probably started worse books, but I was smart enough not to finish them. I cannot even explain why I finished it... probably a cross between the horror of watching a train wreck and having nothing else in the flat that I wanted to start.

The premise may have been reasonable, but honestly I couldn't tell. I'm usually pretty forgiving of weak writing; I prefer good writing, of course, but I can still enjoy something that's not as well
Beth
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, netgalley, own
On her 30th Birthday, Lizzie (Elizabeth Gertrude Brown) expected a hot night at a local bar with her friends and a guy she's been crushing on., what else would a preschool teacher expect..what she gets is mystical demon slaying powers, meeting her Harley riding grandmother and the ability to hear her dog talk. If that isn't bad enough, a demon shows up on her toilet and tries to kill her. Nope definitely not the night she had planned.

Pulled into a world she never new existed, Lizzie must decide
Sara
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Oh my God! I loved, loved, loved it!
The story is fun and hot. The main characters amazing. Some scenes hot as Hell (pun intended).
When I started reading this book I thought it was interesting but didn't think I would have liked it so much. It was very, very, very good!
I liked Lizzie, except for some of her reasonings. I loved Dimitri, except for the lies. He reminded me a little of Quinn of the Riley Jenson Guardian books by Keri Arthur (and it's a good thing, because I totally worship that
GoldenjoyBazyll
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witchy-reads
For those of you who know me well.... you are aware that "Charmed" wanna-be type reads.

This one was ok but leaned towards absurd (of course they all do). I guess I should say silly is what it was. Here is the story line... Lizzy was adpoted as a baby by a fairly straigh laced family. She is now a grown woman and has embarked on a career as a preschool teacher at the Happy Hands Preschool. While she hasn't had a date in awhile... she is a happy camper. it is now her 30th birthday and all Hell
Colleen Scidmore
This was a cute somewhat interesting story I think it just didn't flow that well, kind of felt all over the place. It kind of reminded me of the Sookie Stackhouse books for some reason but not quite as well written and instead of vampires there are demons. Maybe because Lizzie and Sookie are both learning how to come into their own..not sure but I kept thinking about that series as I was reading.

I like Lizzie but sometimes she gets a little too syrupy sweet for my tastes. And her OCD gets on my
Allison
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Okay so I read this book for one of my bookclub reads for October. It was a fun and easy read. It was a bit silly in places, but what would you expect from a book titled The Accidental Demon Slayer. Despite that though, I really liked it. It was very funny and I love it when a book makes me laugh out loud and this one did. It had some romance, humor, action, etc. A little bit of everything basically. I normally don't even venture to the romance section of my happy place, ie: Barnes & Noble, ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Eh, This book wasn't too memorable for me. It was cute, but no Buffy the Vampire slayer for me.
Linzi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on-these
The super-annoying narrator gave me a headache and I just didn't care enough to try it on Kindle. This had the feel that the author got completely wasted with some friends and they all came up with something crazy that she could shoehorn into this book for no valid reason .... just so that it ended up being 'whacky'. Aaaargh :(
Bunnycore
He has Lizzy turning 30, okay let me just say I love the fact that this woman is turning 30. We seem to have all of our heroes these days turning 20 something and that irritates me. But anyways I digress.

Lizzy has so much happen to her in the span of the night. She turns 30 and she is supposed to have a night out, drinking and fun times with a hot guy. What does she get? Locked in the bathroom by a crazy grandmother she just met. Her dog starts talking to her, and she kills a demon on her

• Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #1)
  • Cozy Mystery Starter Set - Six Books
  • Witchiest Circus on Earth (Magical Midway, #1)
  • On A Witch and A Spell (Blackwood Bay Witches, #0.5)
  • Secrets, Spells & Murder (Little Shop of Spells, #1)
  • Reluctant Dragon Mate (MatchMater Paranormal Dating App, #1)
  • Bottling It (A Wayfair Witches Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Spirits, Pies, and Alibis (The Witches of Pinecroft Cove)
  • Flo Charts (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries)
  • Game of Bones (Hattie Jenkins & The Infiniti Chronicles #8.5)
  • Witchin' Impossible (Witchin' Impossible #1)
  • Along Came A Demon (Whisperings, #1)
  • Southern Curses (Sweet Tea Witch Mysteries #5)
  • Destiny's a Witch (Wicked Good Mystery #1)
  • Demons of Bourbon Street  (Jade Calhoun ,#3)
  • Spirits, Spells, and Wedding Bells (Pyper Rayne Book 5)
  • How Hard Can It Be? (Handcuffs and Happily Ever Afters, #1)
  • Fashionably Dead (Hot Damned, #1)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Angie Fox writes sweet, fun, action-packed mysteries. Her characters are clever and fearless, but in real life, Angie is afraid of basements, bees, and going up stairs when it is dark behind her. Let’s face it. Angie wouldn’t last five minutes in one of her books.

Angie is best known for her SOUTHERN SPIRITS mysteries, and for her ACCIDENTAL DEMON

Demon Slayer (8 books)
  • The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #2)
  • A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #3)
  • Last of the Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #4)
  • My Big Fat Demon Slayer Wedding (Demon Slayer, #5)
  • Beverly Hills Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #6)
  • Night of the Living Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #7)
  • What to Expect When Your Demon Slayer is Expecting (Demon Slayer, #8)
“Well aren't you full of sunshine and donkey feathers.” 26 likes