Start by marking “Mapping the Interior” as Want to Read:
Mapping the Interior

Mapping the Interior

Walking through his own house at night, a twelve-year-old thinks he sees another person stepping through a doorway. Instead of the people who could be there, his mother or his brother, the figure reminds him of his long-gone father, who died mysteriously before his family left the reservation. When he follows it he discovers his house is bigger and deeper than he knew.

The
Published June 20th 2017 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Mapping the Interior, please sign up.
Mir Yes. I think it is meant primarily for adults.

Start your review of Mapping the Interior
Char
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mapping the Interior touched me in a way that's hard to define.

A young man, missing and thinking of the father who died before he could really be known, believes he saw his father coming through a doorway. From there, we learn more about this young man, his family, Native American culture, and superstitions.

In a way, this could be interpreted as a ghost story. In another interpretation it could be thought of a coming of age story-with perhaps a little psychological horror on the side. Howeve
Edward Lorn
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am the son of a half-Native America, half-Irish father. Dad had the Indian features and the jet black hair, the big Chief nose and the dark skin. But I was born looking like my mother's side of the family: towheaded, button-nosed, Elmer's glue white with some blush mixed in and completely immune to tanning. Because I looked like my mother and not my father, I didn't have the same life he did. My upbringing was far less eventful than he of the eleven brothers and sisters. My father and I had no ...more
Johann (jobis89)
"In death, he had become what he never could in life. And now he was back."

While walking through his house late one night, a fifteen-year old boy thinks he sees his long-dead father stepping through a doorway. What follows is an exploration of this young boy, his family, and Native American culture.

I didn’t love this, nor did I hate it – I guess I’m just quite ambivalent about it. This is a really short novella and quite easy to just race through in one sitting. It did ha
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
You know when you read a book and you know that at least 50% of the symbolism, comparisons, philosophy and psychology went over your head? That's what Mapping the Interior felt like to me. I know there is obviously a lot of importance and density to this novella but ask me to explain it or pull out snippets and I struggle knowing I missed a lot of somethings I can't articulate.

"There are rules, I know. Not knowing them doesn't mean they don't apply to you.

This is a story of a Native Americ
Michael Hicks
I know this one is getting a lot of love, but it just doesn't do much for me. It's a short read, so I don't feel particularly cheated by the time spent with it, and although I found it pretty dull overall, I feel largely ambivalent about the work as a whole.

The biggest barrier between me and the story was the writing style. The writing was just too choppy for my tastes, and the sentence constructions irked me. How so? Well, a lot of the sentences, it was written like this. "Our house, like I sa
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
I'm going to attempt to write this review after *just* finishing this story but just know, it killed me. I'm dead.
So I had a bookstagram post lined up today with some books that are nominated for the Shirley Jackson award 2017.
Mapping the Interior is nominated for the novella award. I was arranging the books for the photo when I decided that I wanted to read it before I posted it.
I'm so glad I did. This is what I like to lovingly call a "gut punch".
SGJ pulls you into this
Richard
This elegiac but dragging new novella by Stephen Graham Jones features a haunting in the way that I believe it would actually occur. Not with translucent, floating apparitions banging on walls, levitating over you while you sleep, or chasing you down the halls of your house, but a haunting by something much more personal, quiet, and understated the way it is here.

Jones uses weaves together elements of horror, superstition, family conflict, and Native American culture and lore to tell
Ashley Daviau
While I did enjoy this short story, I must admit that I'm sure that about 75% of the meaning behind it escaped me. But despite not understanding all the nuances of it, I'm still glad that I read it.

It was definitely creepy and gave me chills from head to toe in certain parts. The author is excellent at drawing you in and making you feel the terror that the main character is feeling.

I also really enjoyed the fact that it was based on Native American culture and myth, it's something I've very ra
Fiona
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost-stories, horror
Stephen Graham Jones writes stories that connect to the heart of people. I'm not, in any way, similar to the protagonist here, and yet - he expresses something universal.

It's horror, and definitely horrifying, but it's through the lens of that horror that we see the world stripped down to the basic truths that unite us all: you protect your family, and sometimes that means from each other. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed - and everyone has something that will push them over that line.
Book Riot Community
This is a creepy Native American horror novella from one of the most inventive writers working today! A teenage boy wakes in the night to see his father going through a doorway. There’s a problem: his father is dead, having died under mysterious circumstances before his family left the reservation. Still, he follows him through the doorway, only to discover the house is much bigger than he thought. And if he goes the wrong way, he will find things that were better off hidden. Dun-dun-dunnnnnnnnn ...more
Melissa Chung
There is a blurb on the front cover from Paul Tremblay it says "Emotionally raw, disturbing, creepy, and brilliant. You will not be unmoved." In order to understand my 2.5 rating I have to break down this blurb.

Emotionally raw. Okay, the book is emotional. It's about a twelve year old boy who is convinced that his dead father has come back to life to fix things and be a family again. Junior our main character has a fierce love toward his mother and little brother. His brother Dino, i
Glenn Rolfe
Well-written, but very lackluster.
Lori
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stephen Graham Jones skillfully combines American Indian lore with the innocence of childhood in this novella about a teenage boy who fears his long-deceased father has made a home for himself beneath their modular home. SGJ teasingly blurs the line between reality and imagination.. and it was exactly that quiet horror of what *might* be that kept me hooked!
Richard  Thomas
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know Stephen is an acquired voice, but if this story doesn't cut you to the core, you might already be dead. Beautiful, haunting, and so very original, this is a story filled with heartache, loss, family, love, and the dead coming back to do things both kind and unspeakable. Loved it.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars
More literary than traditionally scary, this novella was well written and emotionally complex. This story had some excellent own voices diverse representation with a Native American family at the center of the narrative.
Mindi
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading Stephen Graham Jones, and I can tell you right now, it won't be the last.

The day I found something, that would mean that my nighttime ramblings, they had purpose. Otherwise, I was just broken, right? Otherwise, I was just a toy waking up in the night, bumping into walls.

This is definitely one complex little novella. Junior is a 12-year-old Native American who is convinced that he sees his dead father one night walking past a doorway in their home.

Never ha/>The
Lena
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"And he was looking across the room like an animal, right into my soul. His eyes shown, not with light but with a kind of wet darkness."

Oh yes, give me more Native American horror. This is horror with layers, not just monsters. What I liked best was the allegory of the poverty cycle: of fathers and sons, promises and lies, of magic and murder. There was so much there and it's just barely over a hundred pages.

I didn't enjoy all of it, dog villains, but it was good. Definitely an author I'll
Rana
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Briliant short story that took a decidedly unexpected turn at the end.
Barry
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: This review originally appeared on New York Journal of Books: http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-...

There’s something profoundly upsetting in the thought of being able to interact with a late family member—upsetting and disturbing. Such is the twisted, black, beating heart at the center of Stephen Graham Jones’ latest tale, Mapping the Interior.

Jones has always had a knack for telling unusual stories that challenge and break through a wide variety of genres; yet there is often a theme of profound loss, and all the emo
Jerry Jose
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
It might been the cultural differences or my general aversion to stories that suggest eventual ordained endings, I didn't like the book much. Even had to google to see what a tetherball pole was. Still, I must admit enjoying the writing, at least parts of it.

Mapping the interior is branded as a horror story; and with the opening sentence where a twelve year old boy sees his dead father crossing the kitchen, it definitely felt so at start. But, from there on it moved into realms I did
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Mapping the Interior is a chillingly hair raising, yet emotional read. This novella grabbed me from the beginning and kept me locked in until the very end. This was my first time reading a story by Stephen Graham Jones, but I will be grabbing some of his backlist titles soon. I have most definitely been missing out. I won't go into any plot details so as not to give away spoilers. I think that it is best to go into this one knowing as little as possible. The fun of reading stories like this is t ...more
Bracken
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I so did not expect this to go in the direction it did. Wonderful and sad and creepy as hell. Stephen Graham Jones crushes it again!
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"My heart pounded in my chest with what I wanted to call fear but what I know now was actually hope."

This was my first Stephen Graham Jones, but it certainly won't be my last. Quite the opposite.. now I want to ram all his books into my skull!

Mapping the Interior is an introspective story dripping in atmosphere. This novella (novelette?) clocks in at just over 100 pages and I had goosebumps throughout the majority of them. Not because it is that frightening.. but because it touche
USOM
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This novella. It is amazingly rich, full of details and a phenomenal main character. There's not much I can say without spoiling the plot, and even now I still don't know what the 'truth' is - a true stroke of a good writer. There are twists and turns that leave you questioning everything, the protagonist, the story, the reality of his world. Truly excellent. Additionally, the perspective that Jones brings into his character and his heritage is refreshing. Having never read anything like th ...more
Nthato Morakabi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well that was a great read. This pulled me back to my younger days, reading Stephen King for the first time and drawing into the lives and horrors of a family. Of a boy who sees a shadowed ghost of his father. Of a boy with hope. Of a boy who does not understand horror until it pulls him into the murky, tepid waters until it's too late

A wonderfully written novella by a talented man. The writing has a few odds and ends that make it difficult to follow exactly, some things that could h
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Creepiness slow to come, but once it arrives, it can't be shaken. A horror story about family, love, companionship, all the ways that gets twisted; a slice of pre-teen life for an American Indian boy. Only 58 pages but took me about two days to read because I kept going slow, rereading, lingering -- and I was too scared to read it at night.
Angus McKeogh
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thought it would be chock-full of Native American lore, loads of horror, and general spookiness. It was really weak on all three. More of a short treatise on brotherhood and not scary in the least.
The Grim Reader
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A unique story, one I really enjoyed. Review soon.
Danielle N
Mapping the Interior is a stirring novella that is difficult to label. While there is a certainly element of horror and the paranormal occurring within its absorbing pages, there is something more magical happening.

Mapping the Interior is the story of a 15 yr old boy who is unexpectedly reacquainted with his father after leaving the reservation. However, there is a small complication with the encounter. His father lost his life under unexplained circumstances. What ensues is a poignant tale of life, loss and/>Mapping

• Greener Pastures
  • Come To Dust
  • The Wicked
  • Bleed
  • Halloween Fiend
  • Dead Leaves: 9 Tales from the Witching Season
  • The Grip of It
  • The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion (Danielle Cain, #1)
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • Pork Pie Hat
  • The Warren
  • The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne #2)
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)
  • Sefira and Other Betrayals
  • Everything That's Underneath
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • The Black God's Drums
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of fifteen novels and six collections. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carried are all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It's a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He's married with a couple kids, and probably one ...more
“I'm all right," I told her. This is a lie, when you're twelve. And all the other years, too.” 4 likes
“You never tell your mom anything that might worry her. Moms have enough to worry about already.” 1 likes