Start by marking “Kat & Mouse, Vol. 1: Teacher Torture” as Want to Read:
Kat & Mouse, Vol. 1: Teacher Torture

Kat & Mouse, Vol. 1: Teacher Torture (Kat & Mouse #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. After her father moves the family from Iowa, Kat has to deal with being the smart new girl--and the daughter of the science teacher--at Dover Academy, but she quickly makes friends with Mouse and the two team up to solve crimes at the school.
Published July 1st 2006 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Kat & Mouse, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kat & Mouse, Vol. 1

Francine
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume tells a finished arc. The set-up is a little cliché - another high school mystery story but plucky female underdogs - but within that frame the story works well.

I like that this series tries to get young readers interested in science by highlighting experiments suitable for middle schoolers. In this volume, the reader is taught how to dust for fingerprints. The explanation on how to do it is given after the story, so you don't get pulled out of it either.

Another thing I like is that
Robin
It’s already two weeks into the school year, but Kat’s family is moving. Across the country – from Iowa to New England. Her father is the new middle school science teacher at a fancy private school, where Kat will attend seventh grade. Her mother is thrilled to be returning to the area where she grew up. But this is a new world for Kat – of school uniforms and established cliques: the Chloettes, the athletes, the peace-heads, the nerds and the in-betweens. One of the few friendly people is Mee-S ...more
Erin
This series was a recommendation from one of my younger teen patrons. She really enjoyed the series and I can see why. I would recommend this series to tweens maybe even a bit younger. Kat moves to New Hampshire from Iowa to attend a prestigious school where her father gets a job teaching science. Kat hopes to make friends but finds herself on the outs with the popular girls and ends up becoming friends with Mouse, the smartest girl in her class. Kat and Mouse become embroiled in a blackmail sch ...more
Jhorleny Familia
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was great a very cool . in this story Katherine (Kat) moves to a new place . she enter this new great school . her father is the science teacher . her friend is mouse a Asian girl name Mee-seen but every one calls her mouse . its so good book and interesting . the problem is that her father get black mail if the whole class doesn't get a good grade. well her father does the right thing and give everyone a fair grade . well the night the telescopes are stolen . the other day they magica ...more
Rob McMonigal
Two geeks at a school, one a long-standing member of the community, and one a newcomer, must team up to save the latter girl's father from being blackmailed by the school's bratty girl contingent. This was geared too young for me to want to continue, but for a young audience I'm sure it would have been just fine. Very standard American manga art, and the two main characters are done well enough that you do care what happens to them. (Library, 07/06?)

Trebby's Take: Best for kids.
Pinky
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-12
Kat's father takes a job as a science teacher at a wealthy prep school in New Hampshire. The family is broke and Kat is nervous about not fitting in at Dover Academy. She quickly becomes friends with Mee-Seen (Mouse) and the two try to solve some mysterious crimes taking place around campus. Someone is trying to blackmail Kat's father into giving good grades, so it seems that the culprit must be in 7th grade.
Jason
The magnifying glass on the front communicates "this is a mystery!" but nothing mysterious happens until almost halfway through the book and pretty much all the detective work happens in the last 20 pages. I'm willing to give leeway for character and setting introduction but I really hope the next couple volumes have more mystery in them throughout!
Ruth
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this graphic novel. It reminded me of another graphic novel that I really liked, the Plain Janes.
Shally
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, gn
interesting intro story about 2 cool nerd friends who fight evil popular kids; 1st in series
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

Kat & Mouse (4 books)
  • Kat & Mouse 2: Tripped (Kat & Mouse, #2)
  • Kat & Mouse 3: The Ice Storm (Kat & Mouse, #3)
  • Kat & Mouse 4: The Knave Of Diamonds (Kat & Mouse, #4)