Start by marking “The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)

The Night Bird

(Frost Easton #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  20,843 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews

Homicide detective Frost Easton doesn’t like coincidences. When a series of bizarre deaths rock San Francisco—as seemingly random women suffer violent psychotic breaks—Frost looks for a connection that leads him to psychiatrist Francesca Stein. Frankie’s controversial therapy helps people erase their most terrifying memories…and all the victims were her patients.

As Frost a

Published February 1st 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

·  20,843 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews

Start your review of The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
Emily May
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Every now and then, I like to take a break from my TBR and go check out what's new and hot in the mystery/thriller genre. Nothing floats my boat quite like some murder and twists - that's just the kind of sweet person I am. But unfortunately, this very exciting-sounding mystery that's been generating a lot of buzz didn't deliver.

It's somewhat compelling, I'll give it that. Creepy masks, hidden memories, and a series of really bizarre deaths that all lead back to controversial psychologist - Fran
Christine
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 1st-of-series
The Night Bird is my Kindle First read this month. I am a big fan of Brian Freeman’s Jonathan Stride series and was very curious about this first of the new 2-book Frost Easton series. Frost is a homicide detective investigating serial suicides, a nice twisty change from serial killers. The case is intricately entwined with the psychiatric practice of Dr. Francesca (Frankie) Stein, who helps her patients selectively erase the memories of horrendous events.

The strong points of the novel are both
Zoeytron
What is your worst memory?

The mind is fragile, even a healthy one. Manipulation of a person's mind and its memories is all too easy for some. Coaxing a better outcome to a memory may have its advantages, or it may sully a lesson learned. Here, we have one who is trying to erase damaging memories, and another who is trying to bring those worst memories to life.

Night. That's when the Night Bird comes out to sing. And to play. It may begin with the quiet menace of a text message, or a song that b
Kylie D
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book I read in 2017. Highly recommended.
Linda
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Frost thought about Francesca Stein and realized that everything in life came down to memories. The Good. The Bad. The Real. The imagined. Put them all together, and that was the person you were."

And if you had the opportunity to completely erase the worst memory of your life......would you?

Dr. Francesca Stein, a San Francisco psychiatrist, has entered into a groundbreaking field of psychiatry. She is working with her patients to unshackle themselves from traumas and phobias that seem to suffoc
Dita
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm torn between a 3 and a 4. I think I'm inclined to be generous because my last three choices have blown...hard. Brian Freeman's writing is excellent. You feel like you know and understand his characters, even the ones with gigantic flaws. And again, it felt so good to read this kind of writing after a few knock-outs but here's the problem...

I worked out the "big reveal" waaaaay too early and while I fancy myself smart, I'm no Stephen Hawking, which means that in the end it wasn't much of a re
Holly
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody. Literally zero people.
Recommended to Holly by: Amazon.
This book was a free downloadable title for Amazon Prime users, so I downloaded it, read it, and regretted it. It was a waste of time, mitigated only by the fact that it's a pretty short book, so it didn't take too long to finish.

The Night Bird is one of those books that you ONLY keep reading because the mystery is just good enough to hold your attention. For the most part, I found Freeman's writing style alienating enough that I could not be invested in any of the characters. The climax - alth
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Lucy and her roommate/friend Brynn are driving home to their apartment in San Francisco when an accident happens and they are trapped on a bridge waiting for it to clear out. Unfortunately, Lucy is terrified of bridges. Brynn tries to calm her down by singing in the car, and chatting with her to take her mind off of it. In the middle of their conversation, Brynn starts to freak out out of nowhere. Screaming, she gets out of the car and ends up jumping/falling off of the bridge while trying to ge ...more
Linda Strong
What's the worst memory you have? An accident ... a trauma of one kind or another.. the loss of a loved one .... have a phobia of some sort?

And what if that memory kept you from living a normal life? Terrified you to the point you can't live your life normally? paralyzed when faced with something that reminds you of a bad memory?

Would you be willing to let someone play in your head to manipulate those memories? Make it go away? That is what Dr. Frankie Stein does. A psychiatrist, Dr. Stein works
Jean
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Question. Is it acceptable to pursue your own selfish satisfaction when it causes risk to someone else?
Question. Is it okay to risk another’s life or happiness simply because you really want something?

What is your worst memory? Would you erase it if you could?

These three questions are central to Brian Freeman’s newest creation, The Night Bird. Dr. Francesca Stein, Frankie to family and friends, is a psychiatrist who specializes in treating patients with phobias. More specifically, she uses a
Brenda
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice introduction to a new character for author Brian Freeman. Frost Easton is 34 and a homicide detective in San Francisco. He’s a bit different in my eyes because his closest friend is his brother and he’s a bit of a loner. He’s still tormented by the death of his sister, whose body he found. He has an occasionally sexual relationship with his boss, Jess, who is not fleshed out at all. He lives in a mansion with a cat named Shack. Shack owns the mansion.

The book focuses on Francesc
Tim
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The main characters are frustrating and unappealing. What's the point in dragging out heinously hideous scenes? The story could have been better with less torture. 5 of 10 stars
Rebecca Carter
I could use every superlative and adjective under the sun to describe The Night Bird, but they wouldn't be enough. It really is everything a great psychological thriller/ crime novel should be. I was completely engrossed by the suspense filled storyline, it had me second guessing each character. Who is The Night Bird swooping down on the inhabitants of San Francisco?

The book begins with the death of a young woman who throws herself off the Golden Gate Bridge, seemingly for no valid reason. Dete
Krissy
Idk... 2 stars? 3 stars? I'm torn. On one hand I was hooked and had a difficult time putting the book down. On the other hand every single time Frankie opened her mouth I wanted to punch her in the fucking throat. It's been a while since I've come across a protagonist that was so freaking stupid and oblivious as Frankie was. She was supposedly this highly intelligent doctor but I call bullshit. (view spoiler). Her sist ...more
Liz Barnsley
Truth be told I'm a bit of Freeman fan, especially of the Stride novels, so I was really quite excited to read The Night Bird which appears to be the first in a new series. And we ALL know how much I love a new series to love, so the outlook was good with little chance of rain.

Well except within the setting, where rain occurred.

Anyway I digress - The Night Bird is a truly excellent crime novel with an intricately woven plot and an eerie sense to it that doesn't bode well if you don't like to sle
Tulay
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psychological thriller.

Read the book two in this series first, that one was better than this. Only character that is believable is Frost Easton. Didn't know there was that many phobias. This book was free with audio, kept me entertained while doing my needlework.
Donna Backshall
I got 80% of the way through The Night Bird and ultimately decided I was never going to care about what happens with these characters. There was nothing particularly wrong with the book -- it simply didn't become interesting. I kept coming back to it, but the mystery of The Night Bird, the person who was turning chosen phobic patients suicidal, became less and less worth finding out.

I think it says a lot that I made it almost to the end and still didn't find it worth finishing.

Oh well, onto the
Cynthia
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Let's put it this way: if you love books with lots of stereotypical characters and sophomoric writing, then look no further! This author constantly dates the piece in weird ways as well. For example, in the beginning, in a story that appears to be set in our present. It shows two just fresh out of college girls in a car on a bridge, listening to music. To be specific: Carole King and Elton John. Hello! The 1970s called, Mr. Freeman, and they want their music back!

What 20-something listens to th
Andrea
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
This is my first read from this author and won't be my last.at first it took me ages to get into this book love the characters but the storyline about memory confuses me abit till half way really got into this book.and the ending was really gripping.this books about your inner fears a young girl out of the blue jumps out a car and jumps to her death a few other similar deaths all being treated by the same woman.was she the link or involved.looking forward to book two in this series.
Megan Johnson
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book just jumped right into it. I think the book was a good one and that the author did a great job with character development, but it could be winded at some points. I got a little bored at some points in the book too, like some things were added just to make the book longer. I don't like when books do that - it's just non - useful information.

Frost is the detective in the book and he does a great job. He has a pretty dark past and the killer in this book did his research on everyone he ha
Darcia Helle
This book has a fascinating premise, but it lost me in the execution.

The theme of memory is handled exceptionally well. The author takes us deep into philosophical issues such as whether memory makes us who we are, whether psychiatrists have the right to erase traumatic memories, and, if they do, can that cause unexpected repercussions. I don't know of anyone who doesn't have some sort of unwanted memories. This story made me think about what might happen if those memories were to simply disappe
Wendy
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brian Freeman's "Jonathan Stride" series is one of my all-time favourites!
The Night Bird is the first book in his new "Frost Easton" series. I thoroughly enjoyed this thrilling mystery and look forward to the next in the series.
I recommend it to fans of psychological thrillers.
Roz
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't understand the hype, this wasn't good in any way. The story could have been interesting with that creepy mask person with that voice, but it wasn't. I just wanted the book to be over, Frankie was so stupid I couldn't take it much longer. I won't read any more from this series.
Also what a weirdly placed cat..
Hannah
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, series, e-book
Dr Frankie Stein is a psychiatrist who treats people with phobias. With hypnosis, she helps replace their worst fears and memories with less traumatic memories. Memory reconsilidation is controversial and some say she is playing God, but Frankie feels she is genuinely helping people. Detective Frost Easton is on the case of a young woman who has jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge to her death. She is 1 of 3 women who have taken their lives in what appears to be a psychotic break and all 3 were Fr ...more
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Last year, The Night Bird by Brian Freeman, was a book that I saw often. Several bloggers had posted about the book, it came up constantly when scrolling through my suggested reads on Amazon and, finally, in the Goodreads Choice Awards. I figured this was a sign that I needed to add this book to my TBR pile.

While picking my books for the Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge, I was sure to fit this into my rotation (prompt 26: a book with an animal in the title) and picked it up on January 1; now tha
Maureen Carden
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: police
How far will you go to forget? How far will you go in vengeance? How far will you go to protect family? Avenge family? Punish family? These are all questions are asked and answered in The Night Bird. Some people pay the price for the questions, some people are the reason for the questions. Just ask Dr. Frankie Stein. Some people try to answer the questions or to prevent the answers-that would be SF homicide inspector Frost Easton.
Interesting concepts, well-plotted but the characters needed to
Deanna
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok

I wish I had passed on this one. Kept with it hoping it would be more believable as the plot developed, but it didn’t. The premise had promise, but in the end it was like an interesting idea that you take down rutted old roads.

The characters didn’t seem to be the seasoned pros they were meant to be, though they had potential.

The writing warred with itself, ranging from competent to immature.

Not awful, yet persistently disappointing.
Tara McGuire
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'll be honest I only got about four chapters into this book before I couldn't read anymore of it. It's possible the story takes a turn and becomes super interesting, but I couldn't get past the horrible writing. There's at least one metaphor in each paragraph and this author cannot write women. I stopped at the lines, "Lucy blinked back tears. Cat stories did that to women." Seriously?
Glen Krisch
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's exciting to find a new-to-me author who writes compelling prose that keeps me turning the pages. Brian Freeman is one of those authors.
Yellagirlgc
Frost Easton is a homicide detective that I've grown to like already. Random women are suffering psychotic breaks and the one thing they have in common is being treated by Dr. Francesca Stein. I felt the connection with Frost very early on while I wanted more background from the Frankie/Jason/Pam part of the book. I felt there could be an entire book based on Frankie, her family, husband and job.
Other than a brief lull in action from the middle of the investigation that I found to be a bit repet
Play Book Tag: The Night Bird by Brian Freeman 3 stars 1 10 Feb 16, 2019 12:12PM

• A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Last Day
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Wall of Silence
  • Rain Will Come
  • In An Instant
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller #1)
  • Lying Next to Me
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • When I Was You
  • The Weight of Silence (Nicole Foster Thriller #2)
  • Devoted
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian has also been selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bo ...more

Frost Easton (3 books)
  • The Voice Inside (Frost Easton, #2)
  • The Crooked Street (Frost Easton, #3)

News & Interviews

“everything in life came down to memories. The good. The bad. The real. The imagined. Put them all together, and that was the person you were.” 3 likes
“Once you saw someone die, you were never the same. A body always left its mark. Katie” 3 likes