Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

When David Carmichael suffers a migraine and a broken shoulder, Trace Jackson, his best friend, simply moves in to take care of him. Their easy camaraderie is threatened when David discovers an undercurrent of heat and tension flowing between them. Despite knowing his best friend is straight, David is not-so-slowly falling in love.

Trace has never desired another man. He's

Published December 10th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published February 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***2.75 stars***

Though the blurb is pretty accurate on what this book is about, the execution of the story was just kinda awkward.

Trace and David are supposed to be best friends, yet it felt like they didn't really know each other. David was openly gay, yet Trace didn't know that he was? They didn't know each other's friends, or very much about each other's lives beyond the basics.

Trace was "straight" but didn't question sleeping in the same bed as David, or waking up in the man's arms....and en
Vio
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala
"Happy sigh" no angst, secrets or big misunderstandings to ruin this lovely budding friends to lovers romance its a slow burn rather than an out of control fire. The sexual simmering attraction throughout the book is wonderful Trace and David's playfulness is adorable and Mabel is the only drama queen with her efforts to ruin the poker games and shredding Trace's clothes in disgust she was fun. Another great feel good story and highly recommended.
Gigi
Just finished my 3rd read of this one. Absolutely loved it all over again, but a few things bugged me this time around. For example, the author using words other than the MC's names when describing them. The word "blond" was used 29 times and "brunet" 33 times. Like, "The blond sucked on his lover's bottom lip." Instead of "Trace sucked on David's bottom lip." It just got weird after awhile, you know? I guess after 3 reads, those numbers are tripled and it just sent me over the edge.

Regardless o
karlakolumna
Sickly sweet romance, so sweet it literally made me feel sick. Well, I admit that I'm not that much of a sucker for pure romances, but that's not the reason I dislike this book so much.

There were so many flaws and discrepancies in that book, it was impossible for me to like it at any point.

God, I wish I could post my amazon review here, but it's in German and I don't feel up to translate the whole thing right now.

I'll give you a few examples in order to underline what I did say earlier:

(view spo
Susan
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read March 22
While I loved it the second time, I was just a little more bored than when I read it the first time. But it's still a very sweet story.

----------------------------

Absolutely angst free!
This was an incredibly sweet GFY friends to lovers story. I adored this book.

When David falls and hurts his shoulder pretty bad, his best friend Trace is there to help him out. Trace simply moves in and takes care of David. But what neither men expected was that their friendship would grow into som
M'rella
This is simply not readable, as in "written so badly it gave me a splitting headache."

I was ready to DNF at around 10%, but then (for research purposes only, mind you) managed another 10%. No, it didn't get better. It got worse :/

What's this book about?
A guy with a migraine, a broken shoulder and on serious meds & his klutz of a friend getting together, drinking scotch and playing strip poker. Cause that's what you do when you are injured and are high on Oxycontin. Fun times. By-by liver and
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Spoilers

This review rated the 2nd Edition which has an additional "15,000 or so words" compared to the 1st Edition. Plus the 2nd Edition has a better looking cover, imo, by the artist Paul Richmond.
The One That Got Away is a Gay-For-You story. Readers who dislike the GFY theme should avoid this book. Readers who are selective about their GFY story should know this story lack "omfg, am I gay?" identity-crisis drama...and, to an extend, drama overall. Here's a perfect examp
Natsroshan
Really beautiful characters!! Their feelings are so well described.
Like them i was eager, and like them i wanted to savor each moment!!!
Elspeth
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twenty-fifteen, mmr
Got bored skimmed to the ending.
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
4.5 Stars!

Slow Burn-Friends to Lovers....LOVED IT!!

It is what it is...Friends stepping over that line they never imagined they'd cross. I liked the fact that they didn't jump all in right away tho. They both felt out everything but when they connected (even just the kisses and roaming hands) the chemistry was amazing!

If you're looking for a quick, sweet/tender moments but supa hot chemistry...check out this book!
Isabel
I love this kind of books where friends become lovers! It's beautiful to witness the evolution of their relationship.

In this book, they flirt and seduce almost innocently, and when they realize, their love is much more than friendship!
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Three years and an unknown number of re-reads later, this book is still a favorite. It's among the first mm books that I ever read, and it's one of the very few that I still like.
Alisa
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zz-2015, gfy, m-m-read
What a complete and total bit of nonsense this was. I only finished this because I had to. *side eyes at you scavenger hunt*

Right out of the gate it didn't make sense. These two are supposed to be BEST friends. Best, best, best friends. Total BBF. If you're confused about how bestie they were the author's tell you no less than 15x. They're BEST friends. But.....David has never told Trace he's gay. What??? Also, it mentions that they've ran into each other with dates out around town. But again,
Paris
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, kindle
I guess it would have been more entertaining for me if it was a comedy and everything in this story was happening to YA.
The whole thing is just so boring and stupid and unrealistic. And a simple torture.

It is annoying when the author doesn't paying attention to his/her writing. For example: the MC takes off his clothes to sleep on the couch. The couch is uncomfortable so he goes to share the bed with his friend. And there he takes off his clothes again (?!). Then, the next morning his shirt is a
Macky
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's definitely something about this book and I think more than anything its the interaction between David and Trace. Even before the romance starts and its just the two of them as friends you can feel the chemistry and then that turns to attraction and finally a quite passionate love. It's sort of a slow burner but that's what makes it engaging. The love scenes are hot and sensual but it was watching these guys discovering their attraction to each other that was the best part. As a straight ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Perplexing I tried really hard to like this one but it just didn't happen. I usually enjoy gay-for-you stories. I was happy with the fact that they didn't just fall into bed at the drop of a hat. It's just ... well it was this slowest moving story I've read in a long time. I actually started laughing every time they woke up wrapped around each other.
SPOILER BELOW:
Trace was a puzzle.How does he handle having a relationship with a man? What happens when people/friends call him gay? They worked on
Ami
This is the second-edition, with additional words. I don't know if it's "better" since I never read the first edition. HOWEVER, maybe I should. Because I definitely think that the story is stretched out a bit too much. Maybe the first edition is better because it will be succinct.

I like the progress from "straight-to-gay" that Trace experiences though. I mean, a number of GFY stories that I read sometimes jump a bit too fast on that matter. But David and Trace's relationship getting closer after
Sayuri_x
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, m-m
It was a great love story with some really touching moments and I would have given this a 4 except for the rapidly changing POV all the way through the book. This doesn't normally bother me, but 5 or 6 changes within a scene and I had to keep going back cause I lost my train of thought and didn't know who was saying or thinking what. I really confusd me a spoiled my enjoyment.
Arthur
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one I read a while ago, but somehow I only gave ratings without any review. The blurb has said everything to be said about the plot.

I liked reading this book because:
- it's my favorite plot: friends to lovers
- The chemistry between the MCs
- the MCs are not young anymore for the m/m romance standard. As a result, when they want a relationship, it's believable that they'd last quite long.
- GFY, yes, but the development is quite slowly. Only when David got sick that he and Trace started to ope
Shelby P
Another one bites the dust. I'd heard good things about this book so I put it on my "must read asap" list and finally got around to it. I was expecting great things but was shocked when it was taking me a long time to even get past 15%. How do I sum this book up? One word: BORING.

I'm all for low angst books but they have to keep my attention. These guys are in their early 40s but they came across as early 30s to me. I don't think I got to know either of the guys very well. At least they got out
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I really loved this one. It was such a sweet, slow romance and you got to know the characters and their intentions before the romance started to happen. It also helped that the MCs were best friends before they became intimate. Not to mention one of them is actually straight. That is why I loved this because it wasn't a 'jump right in even though I'm straight' type of story but a 'let's take it easy so I can wrap my head around what's happening' type of one. It was just great.

There were
Neus Gutiérrez
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La homoerótica es un geénero que no suelo leer mucho, pero este libro realmente me ha gustado. Si bien es cierto que no me gusta especialmente esa idea generalizada de que la sexualidad le cambia a uno de repente, como si fuera un gusto por la comida o un deseo pasajero... en esta historia he disfrutado bastante tanto del argumento, como de los personajes.
Es verdad que es difícil no querer a estos dos, pero es que además, el modo en que van sucediendo las cosas termina ayudando a que los veas co
Sqyd
Jul 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so bad that I chucked it into the recycling bin. As if the whole "I'm not gay, just gay for you" premise wasn't vapid enough, its realization is utterly unconvincing. The characters are flat, and the plot is nonexistent. There is lots of drawn out unreleased sexual tension, foreplay, etc, but it's so hackneyed that it was boring me to tears.
R.B.
This was very good friends-to-lovers kind of story with slow and convincing change in MC's relationship.
Charly
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the men’s actions mostly unbelievable

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 5/10

PROS:
- Most “Gay for You” stories move so quickly from normal friendship to love that I find them terribly unconvincing. I wasn’t ever convinced that Trace was straight, but his reactions toward David do move very gradually from friendly to sexual, which I liked.
- Aile and Urban do a good job of portraying David and Trace’s closeness by describing not only their though
Lily
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All M/M romance lovers
Recommended to Lily by: Thank You, Secret Santa Xmas 2009
David Carmichael and Trace Jackson have been best friends for years despite working for rival newspapers. When David needs help recovering first from a severe migraine and then from a broken shoulder Trace doesn't think twice about helping his friend out, even if it means moving in with him for a while.

As they spend days and then weeks together their friendship deepens and then begins to change. From best buds used to hanging out together they find much deeper feelings growing between them.

This
Janna
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, favorites
This was one of the best M/M reads of 2009 for me! I can really recommend it. For a change it’s a book with no angst in it. The characters are well developed and the smexing is long anticipated but scorching hot when they finally get to it. The story is about two friends, one gay one straight. One of them breaks his shoulder and needs some help during his recovery. So his straight friend moves in with him. Because of the injury, the heroes share some very intimate moments and something starts to ...more
LenaLena
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
The title of this book suggests a story line and a level of conflict that is just not there. Hell, there is barely a story line at all. No conflict. No plot. The title doesn't even make sense until the last line of the book and it's more like 'srsly'? The first half of the book is UST, the second is just sex. Someone should have told the responsible author to use a different word the other 32 times she used 'brunet' to describe one of the MCs. There's head hop hop hop hopping......

And you know
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
this was probably the one and only book I read in my language this year, one of the books I bought when I started reading mm stories and then forget to actually read. I'm so used to the English I usually don't like the translations. not in this case but I didn't have doubts cause the tranlator is the one who did Hot Head, the first mm I read, so I already knew he would be great. I liked the story, slow burn and friends to lovers, sweet too. well done!
Stacey Jo
This is a nice gay-for-you story and one where the best friends fall in love if you like that scenerio. No angst if you like that in your story. Unlike many GFY stories, the straight guy is pretty accepting of his choice. There are no other characters who oppose his choice so no adversity in to book. But I thought the story was well written and I liked both the main and supporting characters. It was a light fluffy read.

• Out of My Mind
  • Just For You
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O'Shaughnessys #2)
  • Drawn Together
  • And Call Me in the Morning (And Call Me in the Morning #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • The Assignment (Assignment, #1)
  • Knowing Caleb (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #5)
  • Handyman (Handyman #1)
  • The Broken Road
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
  • The Trap
  • A Helping Hand (Tennessee Cops, #2)
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)
  • Snow Angel (Angel, #1)
Rhianne Aile has an unhealthy relationship with her computer, iced tea, and chocolate. Growing up, she split her time between Oklahoma and Chicago, making her equally fond of horses, skyscrapers, cowboys, and men in well-tailored suits. Facilitating retreats for women and authors keeps her traveling enough to stay happy.
“...do you want to do the exercises here where you can sit in the kitchen chair, or in the living room so you can slump on the couch after?"
"Oh, living room, definitely. Closer to the scotch too," David muttered as he stood and walked in that direction, ignoring the small smile he'd seen on Trace's face.
He collapsed on the couch, telling himself to grow up. Being a big baby would annoy Trace, who'd leave, and where would that leave him and his barely healed shoulder? He rubbed at his eyes and told himself he needed to suck it up.
"Sling off, please," Trace said as he walked in with the piece of paper the therapist had given David to take home. Taking a deep breath and steeling himself, he slid on his glasses and started studying the diagrams. "This shouldn't be too bad."
"You're not the one with the broken shoulder."
Trace didn't respond to the jibe as he sat down next to David.
"All right. First exercise. You're going to hold your arm, elbow bent at ninety degrees, and lift it up and out, away from your body."
David watched as Trace copied the movement drawn on the sheeet, and he had to stifle a laugh.
"What?" Trace glanced up at him.
"You look like a chicken," David snickered.
"Well, I am the cock of the roost, C'mon, chickadee. Flap that wing," Trace instructed with a wink.”
0 likes