Start by marking “Natures Mortes” as Want to Read:
Natures Mortes

Natures Mortes

Barcelone, 1899. Tous deux peintres, Joaquín Mir et son ami Vidal Balaguer fréquentent le fameux cabaret-galerie Els Quatre Gats. Quoique criblé de dettes, Balaguer refuse de vendre le portrait qu'il a fait de Mar, son amour, disparue quelques mois plus tôt sans laisser la moindre trace... Son comportement éveille les soupçons d'un inspecteur de police, d'autant plus que ...more
Published March 17th 2017 by Dargaud

To ask other readers questions about Natures Mortes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natures Mortes

Start your review of Natures Mortes
Lukasz
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story - 3/5
Art - 5/5

The Muse gives a supernatural spin to the story of Vidal Balaguer - a nearly forgotten artist of the 19th/20th century. The Muse tries to show the last days of his documented life and suggest what could have happened.

Vidal fell in love with one of his models, but she disappeared without a trace after he's finished her painting. He's broken, emotionally and financially. For unknown reasons, he doesn't agree to sell his best paintings. To make matters worse, Police thinks he
Niki
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful art style and a pretty sold story (didn't really care for the "missing woman fuelling a guy's man-pain but nobody cares about HER" aspect). I really liked the finale but, in the end, I'm confused about what it was trying to say. It doesn't delve deep into art or love, the two subjects I'm pretty sure it's about. Was it just a biography for Vidal, just spruced up for modern audiences? Maybe it wasn't even trying to say anything and I'm trying to read too much into it. Either way, 3 ...more
Unai
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todo aquel que lea a Zidrou en castellano, sabe que es un autor al que hay que acercarse con cuidado en días regulares, porque tiene tendencia a joderte la vida a nada que te descuides. Luego en Francia le publican obras de mayor espectro, pero aquí solemos ir a por lo que nos duele. Esta vez y por suerte, me he encontrado con algo un poco menos descorazonador y bastante curioso a la vez.

Curioso porque es un cómic sobre un pintor catalán que no ha existido nunca, pero sobre el que se creó una
Etienne
3,5/5. A nice intrusion in the painting world with illustrations that felt like painting, really great job on the artworks, and a story that, even if a bit slow for me, was interesting and worth reading.
Glenn
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A hard but certainly heart-warming story with beautiful illustrations!
The story reflects the life of a dreamy man who finds his passion in painting and the people around him.

Enchanted by his muse,
loved by his friends,
but others make his life difficult.
This book is as one of the main characters beautifully describes "food for the soul"
Cori DeVerse
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book fro free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I absolutely loved this graphic novel. It’s storytelling was so smooth and enveloping, and the art was absolutely stunning. I didn’t know the story of Vidal, but I’m incredibly glad I do now. I would read anything else this author/artist created.
Hannah
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prachtig voorgesteld, verhaal over een voor mij onbekende kunstenaar
Francis Thibeault
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bande dessinée originale, bien documenté, qui nous révèle la face cachée de la peinture espagnole avec cet illustre inconnu qui, pourtant, était considéré par ses contemporains comme un pur génie. J'adore les illustrations, similaires à des tableaux fraîchement peints,et j'ai bien aimé la manière que l'on a abordé la vie de l'auteur (bien que l'on se demande où commence et où se termine cette part de vérité et cette part d'énigmes. L'atmosphère y est énigmatique, le mystère complet jusqu'à la ...more
Koen Claeys
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zeer mooie strip over de schilder en zijn muze...
Toch eens "Drie Vruchten", de vorige samenwerking tussen Zidrou en Oriol, checken tijdens mijn volgende bezoek aan de stripwinkel. Hun eerste, 'Het Vel van de Beer', net als 'Verstild Leven' een mooi staaltje magisch realisme, vond ik namelijk ook zéér goed.
ReadingAllNight
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Richard
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faithful to the artist Vidal Balaguer and his short working life and featuring the colour palette of his paintings. Zideou : Oriol have produced a story with a sense of fun and mystery to introduce the reader through this comic book format to am under appreciated artist. The artwork is cleverly recreated and a story has been spun to make it a tale that will appeal to all and not just the artistic set.
Hanging the story on the role of the special artist model - the muse, we have a way in and a
Mike
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In December of 1939 artist Joaquim Mir reminisces about his good friend Vidal Balaguer, an incredibly gifted artist who mysteriously disappeared forty years prior at the turn of the century. This fictionalized imagining uses factual information to build a story with decidedly Twilight Zone-esque sensibilities.

An interesting story with enough of an avant garde flavor to be slightly off kilter, mildly disconcerting (in a good way).The art is such that you don't notice it except when it's
Ije the Devourer of Books
A fascinating graphic novel which explores the disappearance of the artist Vidal Balaguer, known as "the forgotten genius" of Catalan Modernism, who vanished on the eve of 1900.

There are many questions about Balaguer and his disappearance and whether he murdered his muse and lover, Mar. In this story Zidrou explores a possible answer to the mystery. Zidrou always produces thoughtful and beautifully illustrated graphic novels and the art work in this one conveys the haunting nature of the story.
Coco Harris
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mature European comic translated. Following the the speculative history of an late 19th century artists named Vidal Balaguer. I loved the legend interwoven in this graphic novel, and found the story interesting. Mature themes and beautiful illustrations with a touch of art history and legend, this was a unique graphic novel. A few spots were spotty with the translation, but forgivable. The e-book version I received from net galley left the text a bit blurry, but hopefully this is fixed in the ...more
ѕtєphєn wєѕt
From his Barcelona studio in 1939, an ageing Catalan painter shares with his model the mystery of his best friend Vidal Balaguer, "the forgotten genius" of Catalan Modernism, who vanished on the eve of 1900.

I found this book by accident through Netgalley and I am very happy that I did, I loved the art style of this book. It adds to the feel of the book which is really warming. The story itself its very good and the mystery itself kept me up until the end of the book. I loved the main character.
Ada
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this book caught my eye because, well nudity. lol The female form can really be eye drawing. I received the galley of this graphic novel via Netgalley and for the most part I found it enjoyable. It was an easy to follow story of an artist who paints his lover, who happens to be more of a muse than he initially realized. The art style is very unique, the colors are cool toned with pops of yellow and red throughout. It's almost like scrolling through "gallery photos" for a museum. ...more
Valéria.
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Určite ma to bavilo viac ako Blossoms in Autumn, ale tiež to nie je nič, čo by ma neviem ako očarilo. Je to krásne namaľované, zaujímavo podané posledné dni jedného umelca. Trochu to bolo na mňa pomalé a niektoré dialógy ma nudili. (view spoiler) Takže tomu našupujem aspoň tie tri, minimálne za to, jak to pekne vyzerá.
Alex Pablico
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Seher
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Muse (and I'm referring to the English translation of this) is a small story that consists of art by Oriol. I don't know much about art, which means as soon as this ended I had to google where or not Vidal was an actual artist or if this was entirely fiction.
Does it matter though?
The story is simple and yet it does capture the imagination. The art in the story captures a sort of sensuousness that is magical and I loved every moment of it.
Petitpois
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combinado con el dibujo de Oriol, al que se le siente que entrega tanto en cada viñeta que la convierte en una puerta de emociones, esta historia, misteriosa, mágica, triste, resulta adorable.
Me gustó mucho más al leer la reseña sobre la vida real del pintor, y me parece que es una versión de su misterio, original y encantadora.
Komuniststar
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, art
Strip o magiji umjetnosti. Kad prica pocme izgleda da ce to biti jos jedan od stripova biografija, ali kako ide kraju postaje sve čarobniji, govori više o odnosu umjetnika i njegova djela.
Oriolov crtež kolorom uvjerljivo dočarava vrime moderne, mjesta buđenja novih stilova i taj moment čarolije stvaranja. Ono ca fali je dašak prave erotike, strasti. Ovdje je sva nagost mrtva priroda.
Alicia
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you netgalley for the chance to review. The muse is the story of artist Vidal Balaguer, a painter. People and objects he painted kept disappearing. I really enjoyed both the story and the illustrations. I would recommend this book to a friend.
Sara M. Abudahab
Jan 11, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, ebooks
I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for me honest opinion.

I did not care to finish it, I stopped at page 27. I guess it's just not my cup of tea, I didn't mind the nudity in the cover, but there was a lot in the book and it was somewhat unnecessary.
Kirsten never has enough time
A lovely little beautiful story that doesn't really say... anything. Nothing about art, or debt, or love. Shame, really.
Libros que vienen
Maravilla de historia e ilustración. Me acabo de enamorar.
Marfi
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Un récit tricoté subtilement autour d'une histoire vraie, servi par un dessin vivant et particulièrement adapté au graphisme du peintre dont il parle.
Guillaume
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Moins intéressante, autant du point de vue graphique que narratif, que leurs précédentes collaborations, Natures Mortes est basée encore une fois sur une histoire racontée par un personnage. La dite histoire n'est malheureusement pas aussi chouette que celle de La peau de l'ours (ou du moins du souvenir que j'en ai), et les coups de crayons qui l'accompagnent moins saisissants que ceux des 3 Fruits. La résolution de l'histoire semble accélérée et on se retrouve à la fin en se disant qu'il manque ...more
Victor Raggio

• L'etoile du désert - tome 1
  • Les grands espaces
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • The Mrs. Frollein Collection: Small Hours
  • Monet: Nomade de la lumière (Contre/Champ)
  • La casa