Start by marking “One” as Want to Read:
One

One

Blue is a quiet color. Red’s a hothead who likes to pick on Blue. Yellow, Orange, Green, and Purple don’t like what they see, but what can they do? When no one speaks up, things get out of hand — until One comes along and shows all the colors how to stand up, stand together, and count. As budding young readers learn about numbers, counting, and primary and secondary colors ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by KO Kids Books (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One

Carmen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
"Red is a great color," he'd say.
"Red is hot. Blue is not."
Then Blue would feel bad about being blue.

Blue is a chill guy. He feels bad when Red picks on him. The other colors like Blue - but even when they see Red bullying him they never step in. This somehow makes Red grow very big and he starts picking on all the colors.

Then, one day, a stranger comes to town...
...

I felt like this book dealt with bullying in a VERY realistic way - for preschoolers and maybe young Kindergarteners. Anyone older
Lisa Vegan
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: for a very basic counting book & a more sophisticated book for discussing bullying, working together
I recently read Zero and realized that this book by the same author had been published first.

Off the art shelf it just went. A bit disappointing because I thought there would be some color mixing education: blue + yellow = green, etc. and there wasn’t any of that. The way this tale goes, the colors are stereotypical: red = hot, angry and blue = cool, yellow = sunny, etc. but I didn’t have a significant problem with that. In fact, it was kind of fun. The only colors covered a red, blue, yellow, g
Dolly
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: 2009, childrens
I liked this book, but I'm not sure it would appeal to children. It's got a good message and is has a good theme about uniqueness in individuals as well as about standing up to bullies. I read this one on my own, so I'm not sure if our girls would like it.
Rossy
Apr 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s, one-star
Colors (a mean one, red, tormenting the others), numbers, bullying and standing up for yourself and others. I felt it was too much for such a little book. Didn't like it.
Morgan Rose
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Otoshi, Kathryn. One. Illus. by author. Unpaged. KO Kids Books. 2008. $16.95. ISBN 978-09723946-4-2.
PreS-Gr. 2- In this cleverly done book, Otoshi effectively utilizes colors and numbers to portray bullying and its effects. The color ‘Blue’ is constantly put down by ‘Red’, and while the colors ‘Yellow’, ‘Green’, ‘Purple’, and ‘Orange’ do not agree with ‘Red’, they are afraid to stand up to him. Along comes the bold, funny, number ‘1’ who tells the colors it is okay to stand up and say NO when t
Maggie
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The part I liked best was the colours changing into numbers.

One is a nice number. The colours are nice to one and it's a very good book too. The numbers change as long as they say me two and me three. In the book it happens, purple became four and orange became five.

Jamila
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a a lovely picture about bullying.
Adam
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tiny-ones
Love that this teaches counting while addressing bullying in a positive way.
N
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Hmmm... well I didn't exactly want to have this book's babies. I have all these hormones coursing through me and I wasn't as touched as I think I was supposed to have been.
Betsy
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVE the anti-bullying message in this one. Could be integrated into my "dot" storytime theme.
Jonathan
I remember reading this a lot when I was young
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
AleJandra
4 Todos contamos STARS

Pop Sugar reading Challenge 2016 A National Book Award Winner

Pareciera que estoy haciendo trampa, por utilizar libros infantiles como parte de mis retos literarios. Y quizá si es trampa, pero igual no me importa (especialmente teniendo en cuenta las docenas de veces que releeré estos libros para mi hija).

Este libro es hermoso, trata un terma fuerte como lo es el bulling pero con términos lo suficientes simples como para que los entiendan niños pequeños.

Los protagonistas
Brenda
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A very nicely done book in colors and numbers that highlights bullying in an easy to read format for preschool to grade 2. The story begins with an ink blot in “Blue” that is being put down by another in “Red.” At the same time, other colors are watching but are too afraid to stand up to “Red.” It isn’t until number “1” comes along and tells “Blue” to be strong that all the colors begin to change to numbers and are “counted.” Otoshi does a very good job of identifying those characteristics that ...more
Angela N
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an AMAZING book! It's simple illustrations help children focus and understand the story perfectly. It teaches colors; it teaches numbers; and it teaches about standing up to bullies. We checked it out from the library by happenstance and I had to go out to Barnes and Nobles and buy it a few days later. My 4 year old couldn't wait to tell her dad all about the story after reading it, my 2 year old immediately wanted to "read it herself" and flipped through the pages retelling some of the ...more
Suzanne
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. Somehow the simple illustrations become complex as the story progresses. I had the honor to meet Kathryn Otoshi twice (both at American Library Association conferences) and she was an amazing, humble and talented artist. This is a MUST have for libraries and personal collections. Morality and beauty under the same cover-bliss!
Rachael
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book that personifies spots of color to tell a story about a bully, and the one who stood up to him, then helped him learn to let people be who they are. Sounds too good to be true, but it is told in such a simple, clever way, and it really rings true. I think it should be required reading in schools!
Jamie
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is on the 2014 Monarch list.

What an excellent little story. Its power comes from being understated and simple; it's universal by those same qualities. It's about bullying and courage (as well as numbers and counting)--I think it would be a great read for kids of all ages. Books like this give me HOPE.
Janet
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
My son loves this book to bits. The deliberate "standing up to bullies" lesson was a bit obvious for me, but I guess it was cute to tell in stories. Plus, they all end up quick friends in the end. Just like life.
Julia Stevens
Second only to The Gruffalo. Y'all. This book is amazing. The story and illustrations are super simple but the message is huge! Great for lessons with numbers, colors and bully prevention.
Angie
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bully
Short and sweet book with a powerful lesson. I was amazed by how much message was conveyed in such simple verse and illustrations. Truly blown away by this book. Recommend for anyone.
Nicole Pourchier
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book about the difference ONE can make.
Dedra
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times now, and every time I am amazed at how powerful a message it packs. One person can make a difference. One person can lift another up and make them feel that they count. All this goodness... and it's also a great book to teach personification and colors too!!
Karen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Colors, counting, life lessons.
Leonard
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great child's book about discrimination and empathy
Chris Aldrich
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-juvenile
What a great simple concept for a book about how to stand up to bullies. I know a lot of adults who could stand to read this book.
Gabriel
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the book because the pictures were good and it was funny, and I also like the messages in all number books
Holly
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Simple illustrations complement the simple, yet powerful text about being yourself, standing up for others, and making sure everyone counts.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

I LOVED this book! My nephew picked it out from the library when we were there together... I was a little daunted by the stark cover and the color bl
Laticia
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My grandson loved this book when I read it as a bedtime story. We had to read it 3 times. He said, " it makes both kids feel good and special and is a happy story "
One by Kathryn Otoshi 1 2 Sep 20, 2015 12:42PM