Start by marking “Modern Persuasion” as Want to Read:
Modern Persuasion

Modern Persuasion

(21st Century Austen #1)

This story of second chances is inspired by Jane Austen’s Persuasion.

Eight years ago Emma Shaw picked her career and family over Fredrick Wentworth, the man she loved. Since then she has built a career as a book editor and spends her free time making sure her father and sisters are taken care of. Fredrick has spent the same years building his career as a screenwriter under i
Published May 29th 2017 by Illuminated Myth Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Modern Persuasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Persuasion

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern-day Persuasion

SETTING: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago Present-day

MAIN CHARACTERS:

– Emma Shaw (Anne): an editor for a big New York City publishing house

– Frederick Wentworth: a screenwriter who is publishing his first book through Emma’s publishing company

– Emma’s Friends and Family
Sophia
Austen's Persuasion translated into the 21st century quite easily with a good old-fashioned second chance romance full of the usual miscues, sizzling glances across the room, and lots of regret and bittersweet memories of the past all set against the world of book publishing.

Each time I get my hands on a modern retelling, I think what hooks me in initially is my overwhelming curiosity of how the author will describe the characters and what will be the setting. The book publishing industry was a
Sheila Majczan
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I followed the blog tour for this book and then in looking at my Wish List on Amazon and realizing this book was available through Kindle Unlimited I borrowed it, not waiting to see if I won it from the raffles on those blogs: I am so glad I went ahead and did so. This book has me on the verge of tears and wanting to motivate others to also read this.

Persuasion is my second favorite Jane Austen book. I adore the "Half Agony/Half Hope" letter in canon and wondered how or even if anoth
Anna
Jul 12, 2017 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Modern Persuasion by Sara Marks takes Jane Austen’s Persuasion into the present day. Emma Shaw (Anne Elliot) is an editor at the publishing house run by family friend Karen Russell, who is grooming Emma to take over the imprint run by her father, Walter Shaw. Somehow Emma manages to sort out her father’s and sister Elizabeth’s financial troubles, cater to her needy sister Mary, and get everything in order for PubCon. She’s hit hard by the appearance of Frederick Wentworth, who is there to promot ...more
Jessica
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read any Austen other than Pride and Prejudice, but this chick lit retelling of Persuasion was easy to get into despite never having read the original. I liked the setting in the publishing world and enjoyed Emma's character and having her thrust back into traveling on a book tour with Frederick, whose proposal she rejected 8 years before after being persuaded by her family and mother-figure Karen.

As far as the audiobook goes, the narration was great for Emma and Frederick, but som
Allie
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
You can look at my review that goes more in depth in the following link: https://thehufflepuffnerdette.wordpre...
Gail Herman
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a confirmed Janeite and a member of JASNA! This author know Jane's Persuasion very well. She used her knowledge of the original novel to create this modern rendition! A delightful book to read!

I'm not always enamored with retellings of Austen's work but this book is an exception! The author subtly included key storylines from Austen to her modern story with clever twists. It wasn't at all awkward or ridiculous. Rather, the new novel was most enjoyable and fun to read especially i
vvb
Loved this retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. The characters are re-worked well into the modern day American culture.

The setting was especially fun as it is in the world of publishing with behind-the-scenes book tour and author event details as well as romance shenanigans thrown in.

It was amusing to read the description of experiences at the fictional publishing convention, PubCon. Anyone who has attended BEA can relate.

The romance pacing was similarly and properly d
Melanie Stanford
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this book in one sitting. I loved how the author dropped Persuasion into the modern world of book publishing! So cool. While I think there are some things that could use a bit of work, the book was a fun and enjoyable read, and great for fans of Jane Austen's Persuasion.
Sara Marks
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
I have read this at least 3 times... not including the time I wrote it. My review is probably biased...
Finitha Jose
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have always found it tough to decide which of the Austen books is my favourite. And 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Persuasion' were the top two contenders. I haven't resolved it yet, still, the latter is a book I keep close to my heart. So I jumped at the opportunity to review this modern version and as expected it was mesmerising.
The author has retained the names of the original characters except that of the heroine, who is addressed as Emma instead of Anne. The story is set in the backgro
Ana
Oct 14, 2019 added it
The best thing about Jane Austen is her stunning social critique. All retellings always focus on the love story with nothing really providing any delight but the eventual happy ending. This one is short, employs about a total of 1,000 words, does not develop the characters, and messes up the feminist message that most Austen books carry so persuasively.
Cynthia
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sad story of lost love to a second chance. Years ago Emma chose her career and family over love for many different reasons. Now she comes face to face with her past love that has a book and movie out. This book she did the editing years ago she knows this story by heart and the changes she knows are about her. Spending time with him she isn’t sure she made the right choice. As they get to know each other again, working through their past dealing with the anger and the people today ...more
Arelys
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Modern Persuasion is my first book by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Set in the world of publishing and movies it hit those notes that I loved from the original. It paints a modern day picture of these beloved characters. It’s a lovely read.
Maria Thomas
I can never get enough of Jane Austen and enjoy reading the fan fiction to get more of Austen in my life. Most of the fan fiction of read has been based on P&P so when I saw Persuasion I jumped at the chance to try one of her other works.

When I read fan fiction I like it to stay true to the style of JA and tend to prefer those written in the Regency Era to modernizations but I've read some modern ones I've really liked too. This modernization had good bones in that the financial ruin and th
Cassey
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most this was an enjoyable read, but there were some moments of pacing that just didn't work for me. I enjoyed the ways in which the characters grappled with their emotions, each other and the situation. I was not a fan of the way everyone in Fredrick's life loved her - it just felt forced. I am a fan of the use of messaging within the novel.

His half in agony, half in hope "letter" had some rare moments of insight into Fredrick's perspectives of some moments, but ultimately i
Sande Riggs
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Sara's first novel. It is a modernization of Jane Austen's last novel Persuasion. All the characters are there - The Musgroves, Emma, Frederick, and more. It is a wonderful adaptation to fit a modern world. Emma is an Editor and Frederick is a screenwriter. His first novel has been released and Emma is thrown into conducting the book tour. Emma spends much of the story in conflict with herself over a decision to pursue her career over marriage to Frederick right after college. As Austen ...more
Joan Mitchell
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have-won
Enjoyable story of how a couple decide to go different ways and after eight years meet again and try to resolve emotion s left over from their break up. The characters and settings are believable but not mundane. I recommend this book to those who like light romance. I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Marivi Sanz
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting once I started it.
I give it 4 stars because I love anything inspired in "Persuasion", and because I liked the modernisation.
I should probably take half a star away because of some poor editing and a few mistakes that distracted my attention from the story and made me have to check back what I had already read, but in the end, this was a nice book.
Kristen Henderson
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been eyeing this book for weeks. Between school and work, I didn’t want to pick it up because I knew I’d be hooked instantly. I’m glad I waited, because I read this in one sitting. I love Persuasion and I love this adaptation too!
Jane
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this modern re telling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. The modern characters came alive under the skilled crafting of author Sara Marks, and I found it hard to put the book down. Now I can't wait for the author's next novel.
Liz Towery
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It felt a lot like a novella being pressured into becoming a novel. It was rushed at times and it definitely felt so. But it still did a great honor to Jane Austen's Persuasion.
Patty
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise for the story, but felt something was missing. A so-so read with a bit of a HEA? Will not re-read this novel in the future.
Christiana
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
~had to read this for a class~ 0.3 stars because it was no bueno. The 0.3 stars come out of respect for Jane Austen.
Tatiana Coimbra
Chris
rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2018

• Persuaded
  • Engaging Mr. Darcy (An Austen Inspired Romantic Comedy)
  • Persuading Him: A Modern Persuasion Retelling (Pemberley Estates #1)
  • Captain Wentworth's Christmas Wish: A Persuasion Variation
  • Sway (Romance Revisited Book 1)
  • Persuading Annie
  • Un matrimonio di convenienza
  • Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #1)
  • After the Letter: A Persuasion Continuation
  • Reacquainted (Love Remains, #1)
  • Persuading Austen
  • Emma the Matchmaker
  • Pride and Butterflies
  • Pride's Prejudice
  • Mansfield
  • Secret Santa
  • None But You
  • Going Nowhere Fast
Born in Boston, MA and raised in Miami, FL, Sara has two masters degrees and plans to never stop getting over educated. She now lives in Lowell, MA and is a librarian at UMass Lowell. She likes the idea of having all the academic regalia she can ever possess and winning with the most degrees in her family. She cries at nearly every movie she sees (ask her about when she cried at a horror movie), b ...more

21st Century Austen (3 books)
  • Phi Alpha Pi