Start by marking “Centaur” as Want to Read:
Centaur

Centaur

**SHORTLISTED FOR THE WILLIAM HILL SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR 2017**

Coping with your own death, when you are not yet dead, is a strange thing...

A natural on a horse since he was able to walk, and imbued with a pure love of riding, Declan Murphy became one of the most brilliant jockeys of his generation before his world came crashing down at the final hurdle of a race at Haydo
Published April 27th 2017 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Centaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centaur

Joanna Park

Declan Murphy never wanted to be a jockey. It was always meant to be a hobby, albeit one that he was naturally very good at. Even at a young age be impressed those much more experienced them him with his natural ability and the intelligence he bought to his racing. His career progressed in huge leaps and bounds, until and accident in one of the biggest races of the season threatened to end not just his career but also his life. This is Declan's astonishing account of his life from humbl
nova [dead]
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
breathtaking and totally inspirational
❤❤❤
Jo Barton
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In May, 1994, at Haydock Park racecourse, just a few miles from where I live, jockey, Declan Murphy was catastrophically injured when, Arcot, the horse he was riding in the 2:30 afternoon race failed at the last second to clear a hurdle. The race had been running for just 3 minutes and 27 seconds when Declan's life changed forever. Transferred to one of the best neurological specialist hospitals, The Walton Centre in Liverpool, twenty eight year old Declan's life hung in the balance.

Centaur char
Lucinda
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It’s amazing what a horse can do for your soul…

we are capable of infinitely more than we think!

This heart wrenching, poignant jockey’s memoir speaks to the heart and soul of any man; set in a world for golden athletes who literally ride and run for their life every day. I was astonished to find how a single fall, (a common accident when horse riding) could have such devastating consequences and yet had the power to change a life totally. Fortunately, a tale with a happy ending this thought-prov
Jim Finn
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
My brother recommended this book and as a Neighbour of the Murphy family I decided to get this book even though it is not the usual type of book I read and boy am I glad that i did.

I can remember when Declan had his accident but was unaware of what happened afterward and upon reading this book the up until now untold story is something that a Hollywood writer would struggle to tell.

The story itself is amazing but what really makes this book is the way it is written and told. It is like you are l
Kristy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Determination!

I've never read a book where one person had so much determination!! Two things encouraged me to pick up this book my love of horses and the achievement and courage it takes to push above and beyond, to regain that person you are again after such a traumatic injury. My son is a Sportsman at a high level and I've never understood how he can push himself beyond that point where your limbs and lungs are screaming at you to stop then to rest and do it all again the next day only harder
Ted Farrell
The amazing story of a remarkable man. A brilliant jockey, his survival of a horrific accident against all the odds, his amazing, agonising recovery, yes, surely this is a story worth telling.
Having no particular interest in racing and no recollection of any of the great victories of Declan Murphy's career, I found the story dragged a bit. His manic behaviour during his recovery can, I guess, be put down to the impact of the injury on his brain. It certainly is not something to be admired. He ad
Willow H. Wood
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I picked this up because I'm both fascinated and terrified about comas. I knew nothing about horse racing and I barely recalled Declan Murphy's name.

But this was incredible. The emotion ran deep as his life story wove together in patchwork pieces. The writing is absolutely beautiful. I expected to be bored until reaching the section about his recovery, but I wasn't - I couldn't put it down just reading about his childhood and early career.

This is an absolutely incredible story about a sportsma
Jess Lynch
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jess by: Radio interview
Incredible read. Bought this for bf two weeks ago, he's not much of a reader but had heard an interview with Declan about the book. He couldn't put it down and to my surprise, I got to read it much sooner than expected. This man's spirit and courage are just amazing. Absolutely inspirational story of his recovery from a fall which could and should have killed him. To come back with such spirit and determination is awe inspiring. Whether you have any interest in horse racing or not, it's an unput ...more
Lily St Clair
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I absolutely loved this book!! It was so inspiring and emotional but I feel I really related to this book. Being an equestrian myself I know the risks of racing and horseback riding in general. I know how little of a thing it can take to spook the horse and you never know what it will be. Reading about Declan’s recovery was remarkable. He never gave up. I recommend this book to everyone.
Pat Morris-jones
4 and a half really. I know nothing about racing and hate the horses being put down. Despite that I was entranced by this book. Wonderful writing and descriptions. I only deducted half a star due to blow by blow account of 4 horse races. Fascinating to horsey folk methinks but too detailed for me. I'm not a biography person so the fact I loved it reflects on both authors well.
Andy Wormald
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This s more than just an autobiography, if like me you have no interest in horse racing then this book is still for you.
Poignant, moving, heart breaking, uplifting, life affirming this is an extraordinary story beautifully written. This is not a story about a mans life, this is a mans life.
Would recommend this to all
Michael Briggs
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never been into horse racing, in fact I even had an irrational fear of horses growing up, but none of that matters with this book. It’s an page turning, gut wrenching, life affirming read. The detail is amazing and yet so easy to read. Highly recommended.
C A Fox
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very moving

Beautifully written and an emotional true story of a brilliant jockey and horse lover who lost four years of his life after he fell and was trampled during a race. If it wasn't for his strong spirit and will to recover, this story would never have been told.
Kay Townsend
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. This story was told so well, gave a great meaning to the word 'hope'. I will always remember Declan's journey and will be inspired.

Would definitely recommend it as a great read.
Godowd
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly this is not a book only for the racing fraternity. this book is about someone at the pinnacle of their profession having it all taken away so brutally and yet having the will to get up and start climbing /crawling his way back. The book is about the lengths people around him rallied around and also about the slices of luck he had on his journey back.

this book is brilliantly written and deserves its place not only in sports booked of the year but book of the year.
Jinx