Start by marking “Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 3” as Want to Read:
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 3

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 3

(Black Panther (2016) #3)

The full truth of the People's revolution - and the power players supporting it - has been revealed! Now, T'Challa must fight like never before for the fate of his nation - and one of his most trusted allies is back to stand by his side. As the final battle begins, the entirety of Wakanda's glorious history may be their most potent weapon. But even if the People fall, can ...more
Published April 25th 2017 by Marvel (first published April 12th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Black Panther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Panther

Chad
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Coates finishes up his intolerable Black Panther run with a whimper. The civil war ends and then everyone sits around talking about what a new government should entail but nothing gets established. A meandering end for a book that was nothing but insufferable dialogue. The book was only 4 new issues followed by 3 issues of New Avengers that are only like 2 years old.
B. P. Rinehart
I usually start off with the introductory quote, but this volume that wraps-up the first story-arc of Ta-Nehisi Coates on Black Panther is a book tailor-made to pander to your local HBCU's social sciences department...and I cannot be happier for it:
Changamire: "If you studied you would find that your dilemma is not an original one. That book chronicles the attempt to raise an entire race of kings. And every year...[they] were charged with keeping thousands more underfoot.
Can you imagine it? Who
Shannon
It started strong in regards to the Golden City and the turmoil in Wakanda but then it unraveled in the latter part of the novel.

Still interesting in topic so I will finish the series.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus to B.
Frédéric
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-panther, comics
If you didn't like vol.1 because there was too much talk there's little chance you'll like this one better. Revolutions are talking affairs.

Coates somehow managed to cram a political novel into 12 comic books so of course it's laden with dialogues. His talent is to make them resounding and not annoying.
The stakes and motives are clear, as well as the schematic of a revolution turning into terror. The allegiances and their evolution are clearly exposed. The personal conflicts and desires of the c
Saif Saeed
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mixed feelings here.

On the one hand Coates captures the ideological and philosophical elements of Wakanda very well. Black Panther and especially Wakanda stories are complex, bordering and dipping into convoluted sometimes. Coates Wakanda walks that line.

The action shots in these last few issues are terrible. I can't believe something like this could get published. Coates writes of armies and at no point were there ever more than five Wakandans in one panel or on one page. At no point is there a
Alan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Here's the problem I'm having with the first three trades (or as I've read them digital floppies), and its that I feel like I'm supposed to like this series. Coates is big time award winning author, right? Political correctness says I'm supposed to like this, because it's the second time, that I know of, that an African-America writer has taken on this series.

Except, at best it's a middling read. It took more than two thirds of the first season, as even Marvel is calling the run now, for Coates
Michael Adams
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are some issues of pacing and there is still a surfeit of 'talking head' scenes, but this book has grown on me. It continues being an intelligent, introspective, personally and politically insightful examination of a superhero who is also the leader of his own nation. The large cast of characters feels more better managed in these issues and I find myself more invested in the events as I find my bearings in the complex landscape presented here.
Malum
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I kept reading this plotline hoping that it would get better, or at least that something interesting would happen, but it was just sub-par the whole way through.

The worst part is that they have been building up to this huge battle for ages now, and when it finally happens we don't get cool looking armies, we get like five guys duking it out, and with people in the background like "oh no, what a huge clash this is!". This is a comic, so there is not special FX budget. If there is supposed to be
Jasmine
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
A really good, nuanced, THOUGHTFUL ending to a really good, complex, inexorable arc. I am tempted to take off a star for the huge weakness of the older (not written by Ta-Nehisi Coates) excerpts at the back, but old arcs at the back are rarely germaine to the actual book, so I will just sweep them aside.
Tiago
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Damn, after a wonderful first volume, this Black Panther series never managed to lift off, there's so.. much.. talking in it. Coates just can't write action and I lost all the will to finish this. Looks like the series is taking a shift in tone on book six, turning the Black Panther series into a space opera, so I'm jumping straight into that.
Katie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second volume didn't do anything for me (except Shuri kicking butt which was grand) but this one was everything I was hoping for and more.
Matthew Quann
Seen from the end of this 12-issue opening arc, A Nation Under Our Feet feels like not only progress forward for T'Challa, but for all of Wakanda. With a much needed shot in the arm, provided by the return of Shuri, T'Challa is finally ready to take on The People and the rogue Dora Milaje. What's both refreshing and frustrating is how much of this comic ends up being talking heads deciding the fate of Wakanda.

This is mostly due to my conflicting desires for a Black Panther comic: I want it to be
Cameron H
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Of this run, I think this - Book 3 - is probably the best. Of course, this isn't too surprising considering this is the culmination of the previous two volumes. The storytelling is more economical here, and the stakes are clear.

However, I believe that every story - in its own way - is an argument. Every word and every scene should be making a case for why it matters - essentially, why should you care and why should you continue. And unfortunately, I don't feel like Coates ever successfully wins
Wealhtheow
One of the revolutions threatening T'Challa's rule is disposed of after a very short skirmish. The other sits down with T'Challa and they talk for most of the comic, and then T'Challa decides the people will be allowed to vote for representatives and they'll share power with the king. I am not clear on what changed his mind. This series is ambitious but frustrating. I'm rarely clear on what's going on or why.

Stelfreeze is back doing the art, and luckily this time the art is focused on talking he
Joe Young
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Ta-Nehisi Coates - writer
Brian Stelfreeze & Chris Sprouse - illustrators

Another very solid effort from Coates & co. that somehow falls just short of the mark. The art by Stelfreeze and Sprouse is excellent, the two artists meld their styles seamlessly. The writing has all the elements of a triumphant conclusion, but somehow the sum of the parts is less than the whole. I am still confident that Coates will evolve into a good-to-great writer of comic books, but he's not there yet and his p
Vanessa
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the entire series is great, really subversive and thought-provoking; the second and third one were my favorites.

also, the visuals are goddamn STUNNING
Cat
“We are no man. We are a nation.”

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Book One by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Book Two by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Chris Sprouse, Karl Story and Laura Martin
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Book Three by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Brian Stelfreeze, Chris Sprouse and Laura Martin
Black Panther: World of Wakanda by Roxane Gay, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Alitha E. Martinez and Roberto Poggi
Black Panther: Avengers of the New World Part On
Petergiaquinta
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, that’s over with...

The third part of Ta-Nehesi Coates’ foray into the graphic novel form is only mildly better than the first two...characters seem to finally come more into their own and the dialogue feels a little stronger, although no less stilted, as the resolution to Wakanda’s civil strife leads to a discussion about how to move forward into a better, more just society.

I get it, Mr. Coates: Wakanda is the Africa of the Twenty-First Century looking for a way forward while seeking to ho
Tara
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2017
Having read the first arc of Coates' first foray into comics and fiction I feel like I can safely suss out my feelings on Black Panther. That is, I have no real feelings about it. I spent too much time just trying to figure out this series that I never felt emotionally invested in the story. I don't NOT like it; it’s interesting and complex and even the parts of this series I find iffy are still worthwhile. It’s just I never feel all that compelled to read more?

I find Coates’ Black Panther simil
Leo McBride
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've been reading through quite a lot of Black Panther collections before and after watching the movie - and man, the work by Ta-Nehisi Coates is both tantalising and frustrating.
This is the third collection from his Black Panther run, and while I enjoyed a great deal about the ideas and philosophies explored within the book... man, it just didn't hold up as a comic story.
I honestly grew very, very tired of seeing the characters either sitting around or standing around talking. There's a deart
Chris Thompson
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
At times thoughtful, at times too talky and clunky with philosophy. Where its intellectualism serves as a strength, the lack of any magnetic characters and the weakness of the action sequences, which lack any weight or power, makes this a mixed bag. Mostly, Coates strikes a good balance between entertainment and intriguing ideas, but there is a lack of emotional heft in this series.

I know T'Challa is supposed to be a flawed ruler, but I have yet to feel any sort of emotional connection with his
Brigid
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i found book 1 fairly confusing - if beautiful - but the threads all came together by book 3 in a way that was even more satisfying than i expected. a good story and great storytelling. i especially loved the roles given to shuri and the dora milaje. it would have been easy to keep them as side characters, but instead shuri really transformed the relationships among wakanda's warring factions, allowing the midnight warriors to become significant architects of the nation's future. i can't wait to ...more
Jen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I personally felt that this was the best volume yet. T'Challa is finally the man that he should be, Queen Shuri is some sort of mystical, ancient Wakanda badass with a great outfit, plus there is plenty of war AND exposition. This seemed more thoughtfully put together and the reader learned more about Wakanda (nation & people) than I think came across the previous volumes.
Erin Stevenson
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the book that originally made me pick up the series. The cover art was so striking, it caught my attention. I enjoyed the series as a whole, but looking at other reviews I see I'm not alone in thinking that this graphic novel was written like a straight up novel. The story itself was great, thought-provoking and challenging, but it felt somewhat poorly executed with in a graphic novel setting. Ta-Nehisi Coates seems like a wonderful writer, and I would be interested in picking up one of ...more
Alex Sarll
The revolution/insurgency/civil war in Wakanda reaches its climax, and Coates has plenty to say about the uneasy alliances such times bring, the messy compromises, and the need still to know when and where you really can’t compromise: “A philosopher brandishes an impractical morality, while a king preaches an immoral practicality.” In the first volume I was uneasy with the way his take on Wakanda seemed to be playing into cliches of Africa, but if that was ever the case it’s far less so now: wit ...more
Thomas
Okay work, I feel as though I'm losing parts of the story even though I am reading them in sequence. I feel as though I need to go back and read more about what happened prior to Coates' run in order to fully understand what is happening now. Also the continued use of Wakandan terms without a handy translation guide is tiring to me.

All of the above is frustrating to me because I usually love political thrillers and this is working through the coup of a country, with multiple factions trying to a
Kathleen
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This trade contains the thrilling conclusion to the Nation Under Our Feet storyline, putting a rest to rebellion and facing a bold new future for Wakanda. And then it has part of a confusing New Avengers story line that would probably make a lot more sense in any other context. I'm genuinely not sure why those three issues were added to this trade, because they don't add to this story much at all. Though they feature Black Panther characters, I think they would be better suited to a collection d ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
This continues to be a slow, talky comic, but Coates makes good use of that talkiness in this final volume of "Nation Under Our Feet" to investigate the nature of kingship and what it means for Wakanda. It's an interesting conclusion that allows Coates to correct what he obviously finds as a flaw in Wakanda's perfect society.

Overall, this is an interesting book that does a good job of bringing together the plots of the previous volumes, but the tension is pretty low. I hope to see things shaken
Johnny Andrews
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Last few issues. Yeah it's not this huge epic war, more like in house fighting over politics and how Wakanda should be. However the resolve is done well and for a very grown up story it stays its path.
The whole nation with its traditions, the past, present and future are all huge parts of the story.
Chris W
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad finale to the entire Coates saga. Personally, the same strengths and weaknesses from the first 2 volumes followed on this one as well. So if you do not like the first 2 volumes you definitely will not enjoy this one. However, the supplementary material from New Avengers is absolutely excellent and gives you an idea of the hard choices T'Challa had to make before the Coates run.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #93 Black Panther Book 3 by Ta-Nehisi Coates 1 1 Dec 27, 2017 01:43PM

• Black Panther: World of Wakanda
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 2: Cosmic Cooties
  • Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 2: The Gathering Storm
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 2: The Last Days of Magic
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 4: Girl-Moon
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 2: Agents of G.I.R.L.
Ta-Nehisi Coates is a national correspondent for "The Atlantic" and the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Between the World and Me, a finalist for the National Book Award. A MacArthur "Genius Grant" fellow, Coates has received the National Magazine Award, the Hillman Prize for Opinion and Analysis Journalism, and the George Polk Award for his Atlantic cover story "The Case for Reparations ...more

Black Panther (2016) (8 books)
  • Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1