Start by marking “Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)” as Want to Read:
Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)

Marie Curie

(Little People, Big Dreams)

In this international bestseller from the critically acclaimed Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of Marie Curie, the Nobel Prize–winning scientist.

When Marie was young, she was unable to go to college because she was a woman. But when she was older, her scientific work was respected around the world. Her discoveries of radium and polonium dramatically he
Published March 2nd 2017 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books (first published October 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Marie Curie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marie Curie

Start your review of Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
Manybooks
Although I do consider Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara's introduction to the life, work and achievements of Polish/French chemist Marie Curie as generally adequately and informatively enough presented (and yes, that she won the Nobel Prize not once, but twice), personally Marie Curie has still been rather a disappointment narrative and main thematics wise. For in my humble opinion (and indeed this even in a picture book geared towards young children) author Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara should definit ...more
Hilary
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
3.5 stars. This is a nice series about famous lives. Nice illustrations and a line or two of text on each page.

Although this is a good introduction to Marie Chris, it felt as though her story was told in the bare minimum. I think if children are old enough to hear about Marie Curie they are probably old enough to hear a bit more about her life.

Christie Angleton
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Beautiful art, but decidedly underwhelmed by the text. I get that this a very brief introduction to Curie’s life and work, but there is basically no substance here. Kids deserve better.
Soňa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is lavishly illustrated with very few text in it. Not that the text doesn't matter but for reason that those few sentences used in it are putting together all necessary that needs to be said. Rest of the story is done by pictures which do the major part of talking.
In case you know very few about Marie Curie but you don't want to read long stories and chemical formulas, this is for you, short and sweet recap of life of one of the biggest women in the history of science.

Prvá veta:
When
Lindsey
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is so beautiful.
Hâf
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated tale of Marie Curie's life, with a line or two of text to accompany the pictures. Although this is a wonderful introduction to this famous woman, I think it could have been a bit more detailed. It's a book to be cherished by budding scientists so there's no reason why it couldn't have explained more about Marie Curie's work.
Baby Bookworm
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Little People, Big Dreams: Marie Curie, written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara and illustrated by Frau Isa, a gorgeous, inspiring and moving little book about the famed scientist.

Little Marie was never quite what people expected of girls in her time: instead of a princess, she longed to be a scientist. However, girls were not allowed to attend college in her co
Pink STREAM
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is very important to show women in STEM to girls since their childhood because according to the U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration one of the biggest factors contributing to the discrepancy of women and men in STEM is a lack of female role models. Actually there are many female role models, but the problem is we don't know them. Learning women in STEM with books, movies and other resources that children enjoy would make them more interested and confident about ...more
Erin
Another wonderful installment in the Little People, Big Dreams series of biographies for younger readers. As with the others, Marie Curie's story is told in brief, simple sentences that are accompanied by lovely illustrations. I flipped between the two spreads illustrating her Nobel Prize wins a few times because they are very affecting. On the second one, the seat that Pierre had occupied the first time is left empty with only the shadow of a person in the seat to illustrate his absence. It is ...more
Ariel Jensen
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry, Marie—you couldn’t keep the attention of the kids. Lovely illustrations, very classy and whimsical, but the bio wasn’t as captivating. I so badly wanted to be excited about this one, but it fell flat for me and especially for my “nanny kids”.
Tina
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, Marie Curie was not allowed to attend a university with young men. And how did she respond to that challenge? She went on to win not one but two Nobel Prizes, the first women to do so. Girl power indeed!
Ruth
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love these children's-appropriate biographies. I can learn quite a lot about many people in a very short timespan.

Ben Truong
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marie Curie is the sixth book in the Little People, Big Dreams series and is a children's picture book written by Isabel Sánchez Vegara and illustrated by Frau Isa. It is a cursory biography of Marie Curie – when she was young, she was unable to go to college because she was a woman, but her scientific work was respected around the world.

March, at least in my part of the world is Women's History Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subj
Portable
This biography of the life of scientist Marie Curie comes from one of the Little People, Big Dreams series and comes recommended from the Mighty Girls website. The illustrations are vivid and inspiring. Marie's story is great for discussions on standing up for your own ideas - aimed at slightly older than kindergarten age, though the language is simple enough that our K2 students will probably understand as a read aloud. Our K1 students have also been fascinated by the warmth and detail of the i ...more
Clarissa
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Very simple biography. A great read aloud.
Stephanie
I love genius women. This is good start for a young reader biography on Marie Curie. I really enjoyed the illustrations too.
Jennifer B.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice addition to the series.
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

While wandering around Barnes and Noble, I stumbled across this awesome new board book series for babies and toddlers. The vibrant, yet simple, covers displaying historical women that I have grown up learning caught my eye, and it instantly drew me to pick up a few of these books off the shelves.

To be totally honest, I was so intrigued by these books that I ended up sitting right down in the aisle of the store to explore this new nonfic
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

Jj
I'm not sure why, but I'm hooked on this series of pretty cute little oversimplified biographies for the young set. This book is a very basic intro to Marie Curie. I realize that means most details will be omitted, but couldn't the author PLEASE have mentioned that she was born and grew up in Poland? Nope, she just tells us, "in her home country, only men were allowed to study." What gives?!?! At least tell us WHERE this is happening.

That said, this is still a nice little super simple way to int
Caitlin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book tells the life story of famous scientists Marie Curie. The book describes how she became interested in science and how she was the top student in all her classes. She moved away from her country to France so she would be able to continue her studies. The story continues as she becomes the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize and the struggle she faced when she lost her husband in a terrible accident.
I loved this book so much. I am always inspired when reading about influential wom
Morgan Robinson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Little People, Big Dreams: Marie Curie is a favorite because it offers children an introduction to a famous female scientist through an interesting and entertaining narrative. In addition to offering an introductory amount of knowledge about Marie Curie, this book also includes beautiful illustrations that add to its charm. This nonfiction picture book would be an excellent addition to a lower primary grade classroom library.

For reading instruction, I believe this book would be an excellent read
Katie Miller
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book about Marie Curie was so good! Even when Marie Curie was young, she wanted to be a scientist. When she couldn't go to the same university as her brother, she packed up her things, moved to Paris, and started studying math and science in an all new language. Despite the setback of having to learn everything in a new language, Marie quickly became the best science student in Paris! I would definitely use this story to teach children about how important it is to learn about what they're p ...more
Katherine Morton
This book is an excellent addition to the series of 'Little People, Big Dreams.' It is a very easy read but also exciting and allows the reader to explore an aspect of history that may not be covered in schools. This story tells the adventure of a young women who changed the world by making her dreams come true despite the obstacles she faced. This could potentially be a great book for upper key stage two as it allows students to explore different avenues of history as well as the becoming inspi ...more
Anna
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Little People, Big Dreams books! They're so informative and great for children. I knew very little about Marie Curie and by little I mean I knew she did something awesome for science, that she was from Poland, and that she is one of my boyfriend's favorite scientists. I had no idea that she won two Nobel Peace Prizes and that she is the only female (yet) to receive two for different subjects. Awesome book! The illustrations are so adorable and I love the timeline at the end of the boo ...more
Jenna Vick
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rding-350
This book talks about how when Marie was a young woman she was not allowed to go to college. When the times changed as she got older, some of her scientific work was well respected around the world. She won a Nobel Prize for physics in the fight against cancer.

I really enjoyed this book. It helps other to see how you can real your goal in life no matter what life throws at you.

This book can be used in the classroom when discussing famous people in history.
Andy Hickman
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Marie Curie” by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara, Frau Isa (Illustrator)
“When Marie was a little girl, she made a vow to herself... she was going to be a scientist, not a princess.”
Inspirational! Excellent series. Great introduction to (and revision of) significant innovators, pioneers and agents of social change.
Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams)
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If only I had discovered this series many years ago! If this book is indicative of the rest of the series, this series is geared towards introducing younger children to great women who made history. The simple text and simple yet beautiful illustrations will keep young readers engaged in learning and interested in finding out more. We will be seeking out others from this series!
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JP
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated.

Powerful.

Engaging for small people.

I am happy to report that my toddler loves these books, and specifically this book.

He is a boy and he will read them all soon.

Thank you for such a wonderful series, and this is an entry in the series that breaks my heart beautifully.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)
  • Rosa Parks
  • Emmeline Pankhurst
  • Agatha Christie: Little People, Big Dreams. Deutsche Ausgabe
  • Stephen Hawking (Little People, BIG DREAMS)
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • Little People, Big Dreams - Jane Goodall
  • Tomorrow I'll Be Brave
  • Penny and Her Sled
  • Carnivores
  • Calm with the Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Das NEINhorn
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. (Little People, BIG DREAMS Book 41)
  • Love from the Crayons
  • Louisa May's Battle: How the Civil War Led to Little Women
  • Qué pacha, mama
  • Who Did It First? 50 Scientists, Artists, and Mathematicians Who Revolutionized the World
  • Home
Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara, born in Barcelona, Spain, is a writer and creative director perhaps best known as the author of much of the Little People, Big Dreams series. Each book tells the childhood story of one of the world's female icons in an entertaining, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, allowing them to identify with the characters in each story.

Little People, Big Dreams (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Ella Fitzgerald (Pequeña & GRANDE, #7)
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)
  • Georgia O'Keeffe (Pequeña & Grande, #12)
  • Amelia Earhart