Start by marking “Flying Witch, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Flying Witch, Vol. 1

Flying Witch, Vol. 1

(Flying Witch #1)

Prepare to be Bewitched!

Makoto Kowata, a novice witch, packs up her belongings (including a black cat familiar) and moves in with her distant cousins in rural Aomori to complete her training and become a full-fledged witch.
Published March 28th 2017 by Vertical Comics (first published December 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Witch, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Jake you could check it out for free from the library too :). This site is more for finding good stuff, rather for reading it on here.…moreyou could check it out for free from the library too :). This site is more for finding good stuff, rather for reading it on here. (less)

Start your review of Flying Witch, Vol. 1
April (Aprilius Maximus)
okay here's the thing... literally nothing happens in this book... but i vibe with it so much... i seriously loved it more than words *cries*
Mehsi
Yesterday while browsing one of the many anime/manga newssites I frequent, I saw the news that this manga would be getting an anime adaptation soon. Of course I was curious, the art looked really cute, and the story sounded really fun. So today I decided to check it out.

So what did I think of this manga? It was pretty fun, though I had expected more comedy and more action, and also more magic. For now I think the best is to call this a very easygoing slice of life about a young witch girl moving
bella farren
3.5 / 5 stars

the reading rush: #4 non-human main character.
here's the link to my reading rush profile if you want to be friends!

This was super adorable and such a fun read!
Allie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Struggled between 3 and 4 stars. If I borrowed it from the library I probably would've given it 4 stars, but since I shelled out coin for this, I'm inclined to say 3. It wasn't exciting, but it was... hm, cute enough, but uneventful. I think I'll go ahead and buy the next one though, just hoping it'll pick up a bit.
Selena
Flying Witch is a slow-roll situational comedy slice-of-life. It takes what would otherwise be a surreal premise (a girl living with her relatives who is learning to be a witch) and makes it seem perfectly ordinary. It's straightforward, and I like that.

You won't find yourself laughing out loud, but this will make you smile and maybe snicker a bit. It's a good read, and you'll probably enjoy it if you're in the mood for something light and lighthearted.
Bárbara Széchy
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Nothing really happened in this book after page 7 but it has a cozy atmosphere and cute characters. It's not THE manga series you need to check out ASAP, but I still really liked it and had a nice time reading it.
Kyera
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Flying Witch is a manga about a girl who is a novice witch and moves in with her second cousins while she trains to become a proper witch. It is a very simple look into life more than a fantasy in which the main character acts like a witch. In fact, her sister arrives near the end of the first story and comments on the fact that the only magic that has been done since she moved is when M- flew once on a broom.

The main character, Makoto, is not my preferred type of main character. I am drawn
Jenna
A quiet introduction to what will hopefully be a fun slice-of-life. I love how blase all the characters are about witches existing. Feels like Harry Potter x Yotsuba thus far, especially the minimally drawn characters and emphasis on the setting’s details.

Will continue!
Susan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute manga, slice of life about a young witch who moves to the country to live with her non magical family.
Victoria ♡
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Just a nice slice of life with magical elements (she’s a witch duh!) idk if i’ll read more though.
Jane Lebak
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a soothing, gentle read. Lots of personality, not a lot of stress.
Sesana
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
Surprisingly light on magic for a series about a young witch coming into her own. Instead, it's more a quiet, slice of life series with a touch of magic, and I really enjoyed it.
Jon the
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
really funny
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

Since Poppy had her ligament surgery, I have been having a very hard time concentrating on anything. I have spent hours playing Mystery Match and Crafty Candy because they require little thought. Just match the blocks and you're good to go. When that got boring, I turned to my mountain of neglected manga and pulled out a few random volumes to read while waiting for her stitches and her bones to heal.

The first book I read was Flying Witch. Somehow I completely missed the publication
Katja
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This manga is like a ray of sunshine on an overcast day. I'm currently lying in bed with a fever and Flying Witch hit the right spot. It's slow paced, cute and wonderfully drawn.

If you need some happy positivity on a bad day, this is definitely a graphic novel to go for!
Heather Love
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
A sweet, soft book that is a delight to read.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I posted a twitter thread (complete with gifs from the anime) about what I enjoyed about the first 3 volumes of this series. I'll repost the text here:

I love the details that make the story more believable in its setting. 1) A 15 year old witch sent to live with relatives instead of alone. 2) Her cousin ditches her to hang out with his friends. 3) The little cousin shuts the door immediately when she doesn’t recognize a stranger.

I’m surprised by how much characterization is present a slice of
Shan
When it comes to manga, I generally like to have something to sink my teeth into, like the wealth of historical detail in Kaoru Mori's work or the sensitive treatment of gender and sexuality in Takako Shimura. Given those parameters, my knowledge of manga isn't as expansive as it could and perhaps should be. So, I'm working on a personal project to read at least the first volume of each of the multivolume manga series in the young adult section at my library. Flying Witch is charming, pleasantly ...more
Anniken Haga
Was unsure if I should give this 4.5/5 stars or stay with 3, so ended up on a 3/5 star rating.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought this manga, but I wanted to give it a chance because it was about the everyday life of a witch.
While there wasn't a lot of action or things actually happening, I liked how it introduced the aspects of a witch that many people don't think about.
Non-flashy magic and growing herbs and vegetables, taking care of the earth and just living, actually. Doing your
Tom Ewing
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Very gentle, low-action manga about a young witch who moves in with her country relatives to finish her training. The emphasis - in this volume at least - is far more on country life than on witchcraft, as our heroine's repertoire of spells really doesn't go much beyond a bit of broomstick action. Simple artwork with plenty of space completes the agreeable vibe. Very indebted to Ghibli, and terribly slight, but charming enough to earn a low-key recommendation, especially as it turns up on sale ...more
Allyson (AllyEmReads)
A very simple and cute manga about a witch in training. This is one of my favorite animes just because it’s so adorable and actually pretty accurate witchcraft, even if the magic itself isn’t. I mean the lore and the practices are accurate, but spells and whatnot are different. It’s hard to explain. I just really like the illustration style and the simplicity of it all
Donna
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Makoto and her familiar, a black cat, move to a rural Japanese town to be with distant family as she learns magic.

The artwork, particularly of the animals, is adorable. I'm just beginning to read manga and what I've discovered is that occasionally (as in this volume) really not much happens in the story. And for this one, that's ok. It's warm, and calming, and like a stuffed animal. I'll be reading the next one in the series.
Tatiana
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first volume was really cute. I love that there are cats!

I think my tastes are changing because I really prefer the darker themes over light hearted stuff! But maybe I'm overwhelmed by all the witch stuff that's not and none of it feels super innovative or unique.
Cynthia Nicola
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite a peaceful read. Not a lot of drama just a glimpse into the life of young girl who is studying to become a witch. I really enjoyed it. Fast read.
** I would have been scared of the harbinger too!**
Alex
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was cute and a quick read. I recommend this if you’re looking for some light slice of life with a bit of a supernatural twist to it. If you like non non biyori or laid back camp you’ll like this.
Samantha Bee
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not particularly exciting as far as plot, but very, very cute. I think this might become my go-to series for something lighter to read once I finish up Princess Jellyfish. I also just have a weakness for anything witch related…
Jess
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-this-one, 2019
Cute. Slightly scatterbrained, but cute.
51/100
Faith Lackey
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-manga
Sweet, light and fluffy... Just what I needed. :)
OSWALDO LEON
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
pretty good
Claire
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Well I am obsessed with the Harbringer of Spring. What a darling. And that mandrake!!!! It's like Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets all over again!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Shounen Manga Boo...: Flying Witch 5 9 Sep 27, 2017 05:27PM

• Sweetness and Lightning 1
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 1
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 2
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 3
  • Aho-Girl: A Clueless Girl, Vol. 1
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • ゆるキャン△ 4 [Yuru Camp 4] (Laid-Back Camp, #4)
  • Tsuredure Children, Vol. 1
  • ハピネス 1 (Happiness, #1)
  • ゆるキャン△ 5 [Yuru Camp 5] (Laid-Back Camp, #5)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 3] (Witch Hat Atelier, #3)
  • Emma, Vol. 07
  • 怪しことがたり 1 (Ayashi kotogatari, #1)
  • Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale Vol. 1
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 1 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #1)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 2 特装版 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 2 Limited Edition]
  • 金のひつじ 1 [Kin no hitsuji 1] (The golden sheep, #1)
  • Arki 1 (Nichijou, #1)

Flying Witch (9 books)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 2 (Flying Witch, #2)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 3 (Flying Witch, #3)
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 4
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 5
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 6 (Flying Witch, #6)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 7 (Flying Witch, #7)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 8 (Flying Witch, #8)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 9 (Flying Witch, #9)