Start by marking “Flying Witch, Vol. 1 (Flying Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flying Witch, Vol. 1 (Flying Witch, #1)

Flying Witch, Vol. 1

( ふらいんぐうぃっち [Flying Witch] #1)

Prepare to be Bewitched!

Makoto Kowata, a novice witch, packs up her belongings (including a black cat familiar) and moves in with her distant cousins in rural Aomori to complete her training and become a full-fledged witch.
Published March 28th 2017 by Vertical Comics (first published December 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Witch, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Jake you could check it out for free from the library too :). This site is more for finding good stuff, rather for reading it on here.

Start your review of Flying Witch, Vol. 1 (Flying Witch, #1)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2020, 2019
1.) Flying Witch Vol. 1 ★★★★★
2.) Flying Witch Vol. 2 ★★★★
3.) Flying Witch Vol. 3 ★★★★
4.) Flying Witch Vol. 4 ★★★★

---------------------------

2020 - still love this so much, but it does have flaws. It includes potentially harmful gender stereotypes and talks of gaining weight in a negative light, which is unfortunate.

2019 - okay here's the thing... literally nothing happens in this book... but i vibe with it so much... i seriously loved it more than words *cries*
Mehsi
Yesterday while browsing one of the many anime/manga newssites I frequent, I saw the news that this manga would be getting an anime adaptation soon. Of course I was curious, the art looked really cute, and the story sounded really fun. So today I decided to check it out.

So what did I think of this manga? It was pretty fun, though I had expected more comedy and more action, and also more magic. For now I think the best is to call this a very easygoing slice of life about a young witch girl moving
bella farren
3.5 / 5 stars

the reading rush: #4 non-human main character.
here's the link to my reading rush profile if you want to be friends!

This was super adorable and such a fun read!
Selena
Flying Witch is a slow-roll situational comedy slice-of-life. It takes what would otherwise be a surreal premise (a girl living with her relatives who is learning to be a witch) and makes it seem perfectly ordinary. It's straightforward, and I like that.

You won't find yourself laughing out loud, but this will make you smile and maybe snicker a bit. It's a good read, and you'll probably enjoy it if you're in the mood for something light and lighthearted.
Allie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Struggled between 3 and 4 stars. If I borrowed it from the library I probably would've given it 4 stars, but since I shelled out coin for this, I'm inclined to say 3. It wasn't exciting, but it was... hm, cute enough, but uneventful. I think I'll go ahead and buy the next one though, just hoping it'll pick up a bit. ...more
Eva
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Changing my rating to 3.5-4 stars

This is a really cute story about a teenaged witch who is learning more about life alongside her cousins and her familiar Chito.

The story itself is very relaxed as we follow Makoto through her day to day life, trying to get a herb garden started, going to school, making friends, learning to be a witch, you know. All the normal teen stuff.

Chito the cat is adorable (and so is Kenny the cat) and I wish I could talk to my own cats like that!

I usually prefer more
Alex
This was pretty cute! I'm not totally in love with the characters or the sense of humor yet, but I think I will be in future volumes. ...more
Bárbara
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Nothing really happened in this book after page 7 but it has a cozy atmosphere and cute characters. It's not THE manga series you need to check out ASAP, but I still really liked it and had a nice time reading it. ...more
Victoria ♡
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Just a nice slice of life with magical elements (she’s a witch duh!) idk if i’ll read more though.
KTReads
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommended to KTReads by: April (Aprilius Maximus)
This is the first in a manga series that follows a young witch as she comes into her powers.

I'm honestly very sad that I didn't love this. I felt that not enough happened in the first volume to hook me into the story, and there were also a lot of problematic lines regarding weight and fat-shaming. There was also a line saying that the main character owns a lot of things because it's "just right for a girl. I also didn't like any of the characters and I felt like there was no plot. Like at all.

Th
Jenna
A quiet introduction to what will hopefully be a fun slice-of-life. I love how blase all the characters are about witches existing. Feels like Harry Potter x Yotsuba thus far, especially the minimally drawn characters and emphasis on the setting’s details.

Will continue!
Susan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute manga, slice of life about a young witch who moves to the country to live with her non magical family.
Alysa Craigie
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute! Kind of flat, but it's the first of several books, so we'll see where the story takes us! ...more
Jane Lebak
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a soothing, gentle read. Lots of personality, not a lot of stress. ...more
Sesana
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Surprisingly light on magic for a series about a young witch coming into her own. Instead, it's more a quiet, slice of life series with a touch of magic, and I really enjoyed it. ...more
Jon the
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
really funny
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

Since Poppy had her ligament surgery, I have been having a very hard time concentrating on anything. I have spent hours playing Mystery Match and Crafty Candy because they require little thought. Just match the blocks and you're good to go. When that got boring, I turned to my mountain of neglected manga and pulled out a few random volumes to read while waiting for her stitches and her bones to heal.

The first book I read was Flying Witch. Somehow I completely missed the publication announ
Katja
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This manga is like a ray of sunshine on an overcast day. I'm currently lying in bed with a fever and Flying Witch hit the right spot. It's slow paced, cute and wonderfully drawn.

If you need some happy positivity on a bad day, this is definitely a graphic novel to go for!
Heather Love
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
A sweet, soft book that is a delight to read.
Sylwia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I posted a twitter thread (complete with gifs from the anime) about what I enjoyed about the first 3 volumes of this series. I'll repost the text here:

I love the details that make the story more believable in its setting. 1) A 15 year old witch sent to live with relatives instead of alone. 2) Her cousin ditches her to hang out with his friends. 3) The little cousin shuts the door immediately when she doesn’t recognize a stranger.

I’m surprised by how much characterization is present a slice of l
Shan
When it comes to manga, I generally like to have something to sink my teeth into, like the wealth of historical detail in Kaoru Mori's work or the sensitive treatment of gender and sexuality in Takako Shimura. Given those parameters, my knowledge of manga isn't as expansive as it could and perhaps should be. So, I'm working on a personal project to read at least the first volume of each of the multivolume manga series in the young adult section at my library. Flying Witch is charming, pleasantly ...more
Anniken Haga
Was unsure if I should give this 4.5/5 stars or stay with 3, so ended up on a 3/5 star rating.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought this manga, but I wanted to give it a chance because it was about the everyday life of a witch.
While there wasn't a lot of action or things actually happening, I liked how it introduced the aspects of a witch that many people don't think about.
Non-flashy magic and growing herbs and vegetables, taking care of the earth and just living, actually. Doing your be
Tom Ewing
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Very gentle, low-action manga about a young witch who moves in with her country relatives to finish her training. The emphasis - in this volume at least - is far more on country life than on witchcraft, as our heroine's repertoire of spells really doesn't go much beyond a bit of broomstick action. Simple artwork with plenty of space completes the agreeable vibe. Very indebted to Ghibli, and terribly slight, but charming enough to earn a low-key recommendation, especially as it turns up on sale r ...more
Dubzor
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's not bad, it's just terribly bland. Slice of life stuff is really dependant on the charm of it's characters and the ability of the author to make something mundane seem larger than life or exciting. Neither of which is found here.

The characters don't have much that really make them stand out, and the writing has no charm or whimsy to it. I'm willing to give it one more volume, as the sister and more magical elements finally make an appearance in the last two chapters, which breathes much nee
Jenny
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Guys, this is easily one of the the most boring volumes I've ever read. The characters are one dimensional, the writing is bland and unengaging, and the artwork/art style is average, relying on simple panels and character designs/expressions lest readers actually start having FUN. I know that slice of life series has a slower pace and a more simple story, but this takes it to the extreme.

Would I recommend this title? Not unless you are bored and want a simple, flavorless reading experience. If y
Ally (AllyEmReads)
A very simple and cute manga about a witch in training. This is one of my favorite animes just because it’s so adorable and actually pretty accurate witchcraft, even if the magic itself isn’t. I mean the lore and the practices are accurate, but spells and whatnot are different. It’s hard to explain. I just really like the illustration style and the simplicity of it all
Donna
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Makoto and her familiar, a black cat, move to a rural Japanese town to be with distant family as she learns magic.

The artwork, particularly of the animals, is adorable. I'm just beginning to read manga and what I've discovered is that occasionally (as in this volume) really not much happens in the story. And for this one, that's ok. It's warm, and calming, and like a stuffed animal. I'll be reading the next one in the series.
Cynthia Nicola
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite a peaceful read. Not a lot of drama just a glimpse into the life of young girl who is studying to become a witch. I really enjoyed it. Fast read.
** I would have been scared of the harbinger too!**
Samantha
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not particularly exciting as far as plot, but very, very cute. I think this might become my go-to series for something lighter to read once I finish up Princess Jellyfish. I also just have a weakness for anything witch related…
Tatiana
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first volume was really cute. I love that there are cats!

I think my tastes are changing because I really prefer the darker themes over light hearted stuff! But maybe I'm overwhelmed by all the witch stuff that's not and none of it feels super innovative or unique.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Shounen Manga Boo...: Flying Witch 5 9 Sep 27, 2017 05:27PM

• I'm in Love and It's the End of the World, Vol. 1
  • Sweetness and Lightning, Vol. 1
  • I'm in Love and It's the End of the World, Vol. 2
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 1
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 2
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 3
  • Kitchen Princess Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Kitchen Princess, #3-4)
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1
  • Tsuredure Children, Vol. 1 (Tsuredure Children, #1)
  • Aho-Girl: A Clueless Girl, Vol. 1
  • 薬屋のひとりごと 1 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 1] (The Apothecary Diaries [Nekokurage], #1)
  • Ghostly Things, Vol. 1
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 5
  • In/Spectre, Vol. 1
  • How Do We Relationship?, Vol. 1
  • Heaven's Design Team Vol. 1
  • 山田くんと7人の魔女 1 [Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 1] (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, #1)
  • Kitchen Princess Omnibus, Vol. 1 (Kitchen Princess, #1-2)

ふらいんぐうぃっち [Flying Witch] (10 books)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 2 (Flying Witch, #2)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 3 (Flying Witch, #3)
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 4 (Flying Witch, #4)
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 5 (Flying Witch, #5)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 6 (Flying Witch, #6)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 7 (Flying Witch, #7)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 8 (Flying Witch, #8)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 9 (Flying Witch, #9)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 10 (Flying Witch, #10)

News & Interviews