Start by marking “Flying Witch, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Flying Witch, Vol. 1

Flying Witch, Vol. 1

(Flying Witch #1)

Prepare to be Bewitched!

Makoto Kowata, a novice witch, packs up her belongings (including a black cat familiar) and moves in with her distant cousins in rural Aomori to complete her training and become a full-fledged witch.
Published March 28th 2017 by Vertical Comics (first published December 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Witch, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Jake you could check it out for free from the library too :). This site is more for finding good stuff, rather for reading it on here.

Mehsi
Yesterday while browsing one of the many anime/manga newssites I frequent, I saw the news that this manga would be getting an anime adaptation soon. Of course I was curious, the art looked really cute, and the story sounded really fun. So today I decided to check it out.

So what did I think of this manga? It was pretty fun, though I had expected more comedy and more action, and also more magic. For now I think the best is to call this a very easygoing slice of life about a young witch girl moving
Allie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Struggled between 3 and 4 stars. If I borrowed it from the library I probably would've given it 4 stars, but since I shelled out coin for this, I'm inclined to say 3. It wasn't exciting, but it was... hm, cute enough, but uneventful. I think I'll go ahead and buy the next one though, just hoping it'll pick up a bit.
Meriana
"Jadi penyihir di jaman sekarang tidak bisa diharapkan. Jadi bagaimanapun caranya, aku harus bisa lulus SMA.
Jumlah penyihir lumayan banyak. Tapi belakangan ini banyak yang berhenti jadi penyihir dan memilih hidup sebagai perempuan biasa."

Side dish yang sangat enak.

Komik ini membuktikan bahwa cerita bertema penyihir nggak harus dibawakan dengan "DHUARR DHERR DORR". Tapi bisa juga dengan damai & ringan. Setting pedesaannya benar-benar ditinjolkan dengan baik dan mampu disesuaikan dengan kara
Selena
Flying Witch is a slow-roll situational comedy slice-of-life. It takes what would otherwise be a surreal premise (a girl living with her relatives who is learning to be a witch) and makes it seem perfectly ordinary. It's straightforward, and I like that.

You won't find yourself laughing out loud, but this will make you smile and maybe snicker a bit. It's a good read, and you'll probably enjoy it if you're in the mood for something light and lighthearted.
Kyera
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Flying Witch is a manga about a girl who is a novice witch and moves in with her second cousins while she trains to become a proper witch. It is a very simple look into life more than a fantasy in which the main character acts like a witch. In fact, her sister arrives near the end of the first story and comments on the fact that the only magic that has been done since she moved is when M- flew once on a broom.

The main character, Makoto, is not my preferred type of main character. I am drawn int
Jenna
A quiet introduction to what will hopefully be a fun slice-of-life. I love how blase all the characters are about witches existing. Feels like Harry Potter x Yotsuba thus far, especially the minimally drawn characters and emphasis on the setting’s details.

Will continue!
Sesana
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Surprisingly light on magic for a series about a young witch coming into her own. Instead, it's more a quiet, slice of life series with a touch of magic, and I really enjoyed it.
The oatmeal
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
really funny
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

Since Poppy had her ligament surgery, I have been having a very hard time concentrating on anything. I have spent hours playing Mystery Match and Crafty Candy because they require little thought. Just match the blocks and you're good to go. When that got boring, I turned to my mountain of neglected manga and pulled out a few random volumes to read while waiting for her stitches and her bones to heal.

The first book I read was Flying Witch. Somehow I completely missed the publication announ
Katja
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This manga is like a ray of sunshine on an overcast day. I'm currently lying in bed with a fever and Flying Witch hit the right spot. It's slow paced, cute and wonderfully drawn.

If you need some happy positivity on a bad day, this is definitely a graphic novel to go for!
Guguk
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Untuk vol.1-nya (^..^)

Gambar : 4.5 bintang...sangat mempesonaah~ Tipe gambar yang aku suka (^ ^)
Kekurangannya cuma kucingnya kurang gendut ଲ(ⓛ ω ⓛ)ଲ //wooi~

Cerita : 3 bintang...damai dan cukup menyenangkan, tanpa membuat tertarik lebih lanjut... orz... atau mungkin belum? ^ ^;)>
__________

Setelah vol.5 .... ceritanya makin santai-santai-nikmat~ Enak dibaca sambil setengah tidur ❤
Bintangnya ditambah ^^
Heather Love
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
A sweet, soft book that is a delight to read.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I posted a twitter thread (complete with gifs from the anime) about what I enjoyed about the first 3 volumes of this series. I'll repost the text here:

I love the details that make the story more believable in its setting. 1) A 15 year old witch sent to live with relatives instead of alone. 2) Her cousin ditches her to hang out with his friends. 3) The little cousin shuts the door immediately when she doesn’t recognize a stranger.

I’m surprised by how much characterization is present a slice of l
Anniken Haga
Was unsure if I should give this 4.5/5 stars or stay with 3, so ended up on a 3/5 star rating.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought this manga, but I wanted to give it a chance because it was about the everyday life of a witch.
While there wasn't a lot of action or things actually happening, I liked how it introduced the aspects of a witch that many people don't think about.
Non-flashy magic and growing herbs and vegetables, taking care of the earth and just living, actually. Doing your be
Tom Ewing
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Very gentle, low-action manga about a young witch who moves in with her country relatives to finish her training. The emphasis - in this volume at least - is far more on country life than on witchcraft, as our heroine's repertoire of spells really doesn't go much beyond a bit of broomstick action. Simple artwork with plenty of space completes the agreeable vibe. Very indebted to Ghibli, and terribly slight, but charming enough to earn a low-key recommendation, especially as it turns up on sale r ...more
Donna
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Makoto and her familiar, a black cat, move to a rural Japanese town to be with distant family as she learns magic.

The artwork, particularly of the animals, is adorable. I'm just beginning to read manga and what I've discovered is that occasionally (as in this volume) really not much happens in the story. And for this one, that's ok. It's warm, and calming, and like a stuffed animal. I'll be reading the next one in the series.
Tatiana
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first volume was really cute. I love that there are cats!

I think my tastes are changing because I really prefer the darker themes over light hearted stuff! But maybe I'm overwhelmed by all the witch stuff that's not and none of it feels super innovative or unique.
Cynthia Nicola
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite a peaceful read. Not a lot of drama just a glimpse into the life of young girl who is studying to become a witch. I really enjoyed it. Fast read.
** I would have been scared of the harbinger too!**
Samantha Bee
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not particularly exciting as far as plot, but very, very cute. I think this might become my go-to series for something lighter to read once I finish up Princess Jellyfish. I also just have a weakness for anything witch related…
Faith Lackey
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-manga
Sweet, light and fluffy... Just what I needed. :)
Krista
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
んんんん、可愛かった。そして読みやすい。それ以上印象がない。
P.
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
how could I not enjoy manga featuring a mandrake and two cats?
Claire
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Well I am obsessed with the Harbringer of Spring. What a darling. And that mandrake!!!! It's like Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets all over again!!
oswaldo leon
Very cute.
Ash
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga
What a nice breath of fresh air.
Stacie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Pretty, clean artwork and interesting but there’s doesn’t seem to really be any type of conflict so I’m not sure where this is going? I’m interested enough to read more and give it a chance though.
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute! Not much magic up to this point, but the quirky slice-of-life approach in telling this tale of a absentminded witch in training is very, very cute! Like Yotsuba meets Somedays Dreamer.
TheLibraryOfSarah
Cute and quiet, a little average, but I think I'll at least continue on with the next volume.
Honya
I really wanted to love this manga. It looks really cute! And it is cute, but it's also . . . really average. There are aspects of it that should stand out, only nothing particularly does. I'll probably give this manga another volume or two just to see if it develops more over time, but so far, I'm not particularly impressed despite the fact that it is, in fact, cute.
Shounen Manga Boo...: Flying Witch 5 9 Sep 27, 2017 05:27PM
  • 不滅のあなたへ 3 [Fumetsu no Anata e 3] (To Your Eternity, #3)
  • Paradise Kiss, Part 1
  • リーゼロッテと魔女の森 1
  • パーフェクトワールド 1 (Perfect World, #1)
  • Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale Vol. 1
  • アゲイン!! 1 (Again!!, #1)
  • 14歳の恋 2 [14-sai no Koi 2] (Love at Fourteen, #2)
  • FukuFuku: Kitten Tales 2
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 2
  • Arki 1 (Nichijou, #1)
  • 炎炎ノ消防隊 01 [Enen no Shouboutai 1] (Fire Force, #1)
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Vol. 1 (Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, #1)
  • Prophecy, Tome 1 (Prophecy, #1)
  • Clockwork Planet, Vol. 1
  • Mushishi, Vol. 8/9/10
  • Princess Jellyfish 2-in-1 Omnibus, Volume 4 (Princess Jellyfish 2-in-1 Omnibus, #4)
  • Sweetness and Lightning 1
  • Cells at Work! 2

Flying Witch (8 books)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 2 (Flying Witch, #2)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 3 (Flying Witch, #3)
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 4
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 5
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 6 (Flying Witch, #6)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 7 (Flying Witch, #7)
  • ふらいんぐうぃっち 8 (Flying Witch, #8)