Start by marking “Rendez-Vous in Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Rendez-Vous in Phoenix

Rendez-Vous in Phoenix

Tony Sandoval was born and raised in northwestern Mexico, where the temptation to cross the border in the US becomes a matter of the heart. Drawn by Love, his urge to visit his American girlfriend can t wait for the lengthy, frustrating visa process standing in the way of their relationship. So he makes the ultimate romantic gesture: smuggling himself across the border, de ...more
Published November 15th 2016 by Magnetic Press

To ask other readers questions about Rendez-Vous in Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rendez-Vous in Phoenix

David Schaafsma
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Comics artist and illustrator Sandoval tells his own story of how he got across the border, in several attempts, to have a comics career and b together with his girlfriend. We don't learn quite enough about his comics career in Mexico nor his relationship, but the focus is on the process of Going North.
So that's interesting, and Sandoval's style is interesting. Creates sympathy for border-crossers without bashing the border patrol, whom Sandoval sees as humane. I guess the previous makes this i
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holy hell, this graphic novel memoir is powerful. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire thing, got choked up twice, and full-on sobbed near the end. I don't even think I can do this one justice in a review, because it honestly just hit me so hard, and even more to know that — in the author's own words — crossing the border in 1998 was nothing compared to the terror it has become in 2019.

Man. My heart hurts.

As a bonus, I adore Tony's art style — it's so unique and distinctly his own
antónio alves
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: banda-desenhada
Tony Sandoval é um autor mexicano que vive atualmente na Europa. Neste album, e no seu estilo de desenho muito próprio, conta-nos a sua travessia clandestina da fronteira do México para os Estados Unidos, em 1998.
«Rendez-vous em Phoenix» é o relato autobiográfico de um jovem ingénuo e idealista em busca do sonho americano (e da sua namorada). Entre aventuras e desventuras, o autor apercebe-se da angústia e do medo daqueles que deixam o México em busca de sonhos e de uma vida melhor.
“Uma visão se
Siina
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Rendez-Vous in Phoenix is an interesting autobiographical comic presenting us how Tony himself fled from Mexico to the US in the late 1990s. The comic is quite short and mostly it's just about the trip across the border and how he met others doing the same thing, but of course for other various reasons. Tony wanted to become a comic book artist and Mexico surely didn't offer a possibility to that and thus the guy wanted to get out. His girlfriend lived at that point in Portland, so they made pla ...more
Maggie Gordon
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite taking place in the 1990s, Rendez-Vous in Phoenix is a rather apt graphic novel for today's immigration context. It tells the story of a young man desperate to break into the professional world of comic artists, but trapped in a little village in Mexico. He decides to illegally cross the border after his visa is rejected several times, and this book covers his attempts. I am torn between thinking this should have been longer, but also feeling like Tony tells his own story quite well even ...more
Rachel
I read this graphic novel through NetGalley.

The graphic novel is short, but it offers an important glimpse into border crossing. It was realistic and emotional. I love the artwork too; it really brought to life the struggle of the main character. In the short while it took me to read the graphic novel, I found myself caring for him to get across safely. I picked this book specifically because I wanted to see what border crossing would be like from this particular perspective. In that sense the g
René Paquin
Récit d'une traversée illégale de la frontière Mexique-États-Unis, par amour pour une blonde Américaine. Le personnage central, alter-ego de l'auteur, est sauvé par sa passion pour le dessin et son envie de devenir bédéiste célèbre. Bref, tout le cauchemar de Trump condensé en un album de bande dessinée!
The Laughing Man
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the art style, it was an intense story too. Though a bit short I'd like to see more of his life story, like how did he fair after that how did he end up in Geneva etc.
Wayne McCoy
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Rendez-Vous in Phoenix' written and illustrated by Tony Sandoval is an autobiographical graphic novel about the author's attempts to get across the US border from Mexico.

Tony lived in Mexico in the 1990s and his girlfriend lived in the States. He tried to get a Visa, but with a low paying job, and not much chance to save money, it wasn't an easy goal. His dream was to make it to the US so he could become a famous comic book artist and work for the "big two." His solution was to sneak across the
Jamie
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a strong graphic memoir about crossing the US- Mexico border in the late 1990s. I wish Sandoval had spent more time on the exposition- his draw to his girlfriend, his life in MX as a comic, his dream of going to the US to work for a big comics company. After two botched crossings, Sandoval finally finds a coyote who guides him through Nogales to Tucson and Phoenix. A lot of time is spent on this coyote- his tips and advice. The apex of the story is when it rains overnight and Sandoval is ...more
Meghan
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I find comics hard to review. I know they can have depth and I know they can be meaningful, but so many of them I read and can only think of them as slight. So, does Rendez-vous in Phoenix have a bit more heft than others? I suppose I could be convinced, but if I need to be convinced of the merit, doesn't that say something as well?

I think my problem is two-fold:

1. I either get distracted by the pictures or I ignore them entirely, missing out on that entire aspect of the medium; and

2. to get an
Earl
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rendez-vous in Phoenix from Tony Sandoval is an autobiographical graphic tale that tells of the author's attempts to enter the United States for both love and a career.

The story is told simply, the fellow immigrants and their stories were woven into the Tony's singular story. The artwork was interesting and worked with the story very well. Beyond that there isn't a lot to add. It was enjoyable and well done, I just wasn't moved much beyond complimenting the quality.

Reviewed from a copy made avai
Liza Halley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and adults
I knew I would love this because the book jacket references Mike Mignola, one of my absolute favorite graphic novelists. This is a really powerful, beautiful book about trying to cross into the United States from Mexico. It paints a realistic picture without sensationalizing the experience. This is a contemporary book about a contemporary topic. The reader feels drawn into the story and moved to keep turning the pages.
Sunny Carito
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating story. I loved the art style and the characters. It's such an important story, people crossing the border illegally is an issue that is a hot button politically and in the news, to see the story of one man and the people he travels with takes it from an abstract idea to something real and personal.

I received a free copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jason
Quick read, lovely colors, compelling story. Certainly every journey across the border is fraught with peril, and this isn't the most perilous-seeming account, relative to some other accounts-but it is very personal and makes its point about why people cross. In many ways, borders are false boundaries, hailing back to when we were tribal and primitive. Hopefully we'll find a new way someday.
Be Astengo
I read the English version of this very short Graphic Memoir. An interesting tale of Sandoval’s illegal crossing into the US to be with his girlfriend and to pursue his dream of becoming a comic artist. A quick read. The art style is interesting with expressive caricature faces. Worth a read.
David
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
exceptional draws, beautiful colors, good expressions, amazing story, good insight about the author and the struggle to pass frontiers. a differnt perception for european and an amazing story to how not lose the hope in our dreams and fight to achieve them. Amazing
Paweł P
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, komiksy
Niby konkret, a kadry malownicze, ale jednak po ostatniej stronie zostaje poczucie niedosytu. Czegoś tu zabrakło, ale trudno powiedzieć czego.
Dillon Rixey
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was neat
Vi
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
And the story reads true enough to resonate. Thank you.
Hiraeth
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interview with creator, Tony Sandoval.
Marie-Pier  Dodier
Immigration illégale à la frontière Mexique/USA.
Edward Sullivan
Tony Sandoval, born and raised in northwestern Mexico, tells this autobiographical account of how he makes a risky journey across the border to be reunited with his American girlfriend.
Gael M
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it
Kevin Hodgson
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A powerful look at a border crossing -- interesting to look at the story (published a few years ago) in context of the current political landscape.
L.A.
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SEE-IT Award nominee, giving all 5 stars to avoid spoilers, proper review post-award/
Valery Tikappa
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando ho aperto "Appuntamento a Phoenix" sapevo che si trattava della storia autobiografica dell'autore, della sua traversata dal Messico agli USA all'inseguimento del suo sogno. Avevo timore potesse risultare lenta e un po' pesante alla lettura, perchè sicuramente non è una situazione facile da leggere nè tantomeno da vivere... ma, in realtà, ho divorato questa graphic novel assaporandone ogni frammento, fino ad arrivare alla fine e a chiederne di più.
E' una storia breve che di "breve" non ha
Adam
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rendez-vous in Phoenix by Tony Sandoval is the autobiographical tale recounting the author's migration from Mexico to The United States. It's written and illustrated by Sandoval. Fueled by his love of an American girl and his desire to become a comic book artist, Sandoval does what we all wish we had the courage to do: risk life itself for the remote chance of happiness.

Like the apt forward by Frederick Luis Aldama states, this graphic novel is set in 1998 and yet its powerful tale resonates wi
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I always have been curious about the whole Mexico-border thing, and this one tells it from a personal view. That of Tony who wants to go over the border so he can be with his girlfriend who lives in America. I already knew the journey wouldn’t be easy (I have read enough books about the topic, seen a few movies), but it was just heartbreaking to see Tony go through all the things he went through. All he wants is an honest life w
Richard
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
How else would an accomplished cartoonist seek to remember and record his attempts to cross the border from Mexico into the USA.
Stuck in Mexico, denied a visa, dreaming of a new life of opportunity with his beautiful partner waiting for him across the border.
At the time he wrote and drew his own experiences in this graphic novel it wasn't as dangerous as the risk today. However, lives were still lost and criminals plundered the poor and vulnerable along the way on the many tries he made - he was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »