Start by marking “It's Great Being a Dad” as Want to Read:
It's Great Being a Dad

It's Great Being a Dad

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
A gang of mythical creatures is roaming around a magical land having a great time, until Bigfoot gets his foot stuck in a tree trunk and Unicorn gets her horn impaled on a table and Robot's saw-arm gets rusted into position. But have no fear! Dad is there to fix things--even when a Sneaky Flying Alligator Pirate steals the Fairy Queen Ballerina Doctor's wand.
Published April 4th 2017 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about It's Great Being a Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Great Being a Dad

Danielle
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This had me charmed by the end.
Jessica
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, kids-storybooks
When a group of fantasy creatures and a fairy queen ballerina doctor find themselves in quite the pickle, it's dad who comes to the rescue. This book is a sweet celebration of the power of a child's imagination and the joys that come when parents are involved in playtime, too.

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jannie Ho
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the different and quirky characters that pop up in the book and Gina Perry's illustrations brings them to life. A fun way to celebrate Dads!
Heather Preusser
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-pb
A whimsical, imaginative story that celebrates being a kid...and being a dad. Perfect for every kid who has ever wanted to be a Fairy Queen Ballerina Doctor or a Sneaky Flying Alligator Pirate (so every kid) and every dad who has helped along the way.
Wyldrabbit
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute and Silly. I enjoyed this book very much. I recommend it also as a read along, and read aloud title.
Kerri Kokias
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun story, especially for fans of imaginary creatures and imaginary play.
Nancy Kotkin
I've really fallen in love with this quirky little gem. Despite the introduction of the dad at the end, this picture book maintains its kid-friendly focus throughout. The story's inventiveness invites multiple readings, and I can't help smiling every time.
Casandria
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute story about imagination and how sometimes dads need to step in and make things better.
Nichole
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is a beautifully written book that demonstrates the vivid imaginations of children through fantastic story-telling and artistry. My daughter loved the colors, the characters and every illustrated page. My husband and I loved the honest and familiar tale, told with great humor for everyone to enjoy. Truth be told, mom and dad loved the pictures as much as our little reader.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful family book!
Tasha
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One by one, mythical creatures appear and tell the reader how great a life they have. The unicorn loves prancing and their gorgeous horn, but the horn does make it very difficult to eat, particularly if you get a table stuck on it. Bigfoot has a great time being strong and helping his friends, but his big feet can be a problem. The robot loves his flashing lights and memory, but rain is an issue. Then there is the Loch Ness Monster and the “fairy queen ballerina doctor” who help the others. But ...more
Michelle Gray
Theme: imagination

This was not at all what I expected and I am so glad. It was clever and adorable.
Erin
A delightfully illustrated depiction of both childhood imagination and a dad's ability to fix - almost - anything. (view spoiler)
Ariel
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's great being a unicorn, Bigfoot, a robot, a Loch Ness Monster, and a fairy queen ballerina doctor, but it's especially great being a reader of this hilarious, quirky picture book! Oh, and it's really great being a dad :) Bar-el's text is pure fun to read and Perry's bright, colorful illustrations are incredibly fun to look at!
Mary
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
There are so many things to like about whatever creature you happen to be (real or imagined). The repetition and silly humor in this book make it a good choice for family reading.
Ann Santori
Unusual way to tell the tale that surprises the reader -- who enters the children's world of imaginative play before we even get to the dad -- and a sweet, warm narrative.
Nina
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's great being a reader when imaginative books like this exist!
The silly text absolutely comes to life with Gina Perry's gorgeous artwork, I love it!
Chana Stiefel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's Great Being a Dad...as you can see by the dad on the title page hanging out by the kiddie pool sipping lemonade and chilling out with a slice of pizza. Next thing you know we're in the land of unicorns. "It's great being a unicorn. I love being a unicorn. Who wouldn't want to be a unicorn?" says the MC. Soon our poor unicorn gets her horn stuck on table. Readers will prance through this joy ride of a picture book as one fantastical character after another weighs the pros and pitfalls of liv ...more
molliekay
Disclaimer: I received a free finished copy of this book from the publisher.

I have to be honest here and say that within the first two pages I was asking, "What is this even?" About halfway through I wanted to know what the whole point was, and at the end I was mystified. The dad was pretty clueless and who doesn't want a sudden makeover? The title is misleading, since it has nothing to do with the book until the last few pages.

The one thing I did like about the book was the illustrations. They
Melle
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dads and kids
Gina Perry's whimsical illustrations and (yay!) representation of a happy family who happens to have brown skin gets this book four stars. The writing and story get two stars from me, because it wasn't the memorable part of the book. Would be a cute pick for a parent-themed/Father's Day storytime. (Also, let's not talk about how I initially misread the title as "It's Great Being a Dog" and was momentarily confused by everything; I blame that on sheer exhaustion.)
Ang
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this at Storytime.

"A gang of mythical creatures is roaming around a magical land having a great time...until Bigfoot puts his foot through a tree trunk and Unicorn gets her horn stuck in a table and Robot's saw-arm gets rusted in the rain. But have no fear! Dad is there to fix it all - even when a Sneaky Flying Alligator Pirate threatens to ruin the day. "It's Great Being a Dad" is a hilarious story about imagination, play and the best parts of being a dad." - inside left jacket flap
Gaia Cornwall
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Things are not quite what they seem...this one had my three year old and I giggling. A clever read-aloud kids and their adults will enjoy. The voices are pitch perfect. And Perry's illustrations bring detail and life to the story. Expect to read again and again, finding new details in the drawings every time!
Cheryl
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's great being a unicorn, a loch ness monster, a robot, a fairy queen ballerina doctor. A fun story about being whatever your imagination allows you to be .. and how being a dad to kids with so much creative joy is the best thing of all. Delightful text, fun, playful pictures. Definitely worth reading, reading again and playing along.
Ryan
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like the book for the end. In the beginning I was a little confused, but it all worked out in the end. The other thing I like about this book is the the characters are POC. That is sorely lacking in picture books.
Jessica Petersen
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great, hilarious way to celebrate dads! Full of humor in both the text and in the super fun illustrations, it would appeal to a really wide age range. The illustrations of the downsides to being a unicorn had me laughing out loud from the very beginning.
Neeli
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
The illustrations were good. The surprise ending was okay. Not a book that I would use again though.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute, but don't know if I will read it again.
Kimberly
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty freaking adorable.
Lynn
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit much with the "Fairy Queen Ballerina Doctor" but other than that, FUN~
Donna Mork
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny. Shows kids imaginations during play.
Laine
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
SUCH A FUN BOOK
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dan Bar-el is an award-winning children’s author, educator and storyteller. His writing includes both chapter books, picture books, and recently, a graphic novel.

For the past twenty-three years, Dan has been working with children ages 3 to 13. He’s been a school age childcare provider, a preschool teacher, a creative drama and a creative writing teacher. He’s developed a multitude of creative act
More about Dan Bar-el

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)