Start by marking “One Shoe Blues” as Want to Read:
One Shoe Blues

One Shoe Blues

One Shoe Blues is a thoroughly captivating story and a dazzling music video. And what an unexpected yet oddly perfect team: Sandra Boynton and—wait for it—B.B. King! Boynton writes, designs, and directs (her first film ever), B.B. stars (singing, playing, and turning in a wry and brilliant comic acting performance), and exuberant Boynton sock puppets chime in.

The song tha
Published August 11th 2009 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about One Shoe Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Shoe Blues

Start your review of One Shoe Blues
paula
This is Sandra Boynton's collaboration with B.B. King. You knew it had to happen. One beloved icon meets another. Let's just say - there are Converse high-tops involved, and that can't be bad.

So - I snatched this off the shelf today, and read it to myself while waiting to pick up the kids from school. Then I read it out loud to some 3rd graders while waiting for the 1st graders to arrive at dismissal (the 1st graders are always last). There is a song in this book: there is One Shoe Blues. I sang
Lyrical Librarian
This is just as enjoyable for grown-ups as it is for kids. And it doesn't get any better than B.B. King accompanying with vocals and guitar, although the sock puppets give him a run for his money, in the eyes of my 3-year-old. Kids will enjoy the music, and they will enjoy finding the second shoe before B.B. does.
Susan Howard
Feb 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
It's a highly original new book and a Boynton filmmaking debut. "One Shoe Blues" is a thoroughly captivating story and a dazzling music video. And what an unexpected yet oddly perfect team: Sandra Boynton and-wait for it-B.B. King Boynton writes, designs, and directs (her first film ever), B.B. stars (singing, playing, and turning in a wry and brilliant comic acting performance), and exuberant Boynton sock puppets chime in.
The song that first appeared-to widespread acclaim-in the celebrated "Bl
James
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
In reviewing books, I tend to stick with what I read, but, as my reviews show, if there is a particular children's book of note, it ends up getting a review from me as well. This is the kind of children's book that falls into that category. The book itself is cute, sock puppets singing along with B.B. King who is lamenting to his mother the fact he cannot find a missing shoe. It is a common enough occurrence in our home to merit a book, so it works and is at least a 3.5 star work based on a real ...more
Cara Noyes
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not only was this a fun way to study the genre of the blues with my fifth grade students, it was plain old fun for me! And how can you go wrong with master guitarist and singer BB King :-)? The video on the enclosed DVD is fun to watch and goes right with the book. I enjoyed the sock puppet screen test.
Elizabeth S
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this would just have the words to the song in it. And the pictures from the video I've already seen on youtube. But there is more, and it is worth it. We learn the names of the talented sock puppets and other fun tidbits.
Jane
Nov 05, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Matt (Lucy)
The library had her musical CD, Blue Moo, which includes the BB King song "one shoe blues". We've been listening to it in the car and loving it. I sometimes play it when I'm alone too, it's that good.
Carrie
Jun 11, 2010 added it
This book was a little wacky. My eldest daughter gave me the hardest time for making her sit through it. The younger kids enjoyed it, and it even made me want to pull out my guitar and jam along.
Lupine
The book is cute but the little dvd movie that comes with it is fantastic! So much fun to watch! And a great intro to B.B.King for your preschooler!
Polly
Dec 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute, very cute.
Janessa
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is about hand puppets made with socks singing along with BB King. The book is meant to go along with the video and bring music into reading in a fun silly way
Barb in Maryland
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books, keepers
Boynton is just too clever for words. And B B King is equally cool. And Momsock--well, what can you say. Read, watch, giggle, repeat.
rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2013
Ashley Wyatt
rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2017
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more

News & Interviews