Start by marking “The Long Result” as Want to Read:
The Long Result

The Long Result

When racial hatred turns to murderous menace . . . First a rocket ship loses its engines on take-off and is destroyed. On board - an important extra-terrestrial visitor. Next someone slams into the sealed vehicle used for transporting aliens around in the lethal atmosphere of Earth. Then the vital controlled environment for the Tau Cetian delegation is sabotaged. Oxygen ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published February 12th 1970 by Ballantine Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Result, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Result

Start your review of The Long Result
Maria Dobos
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first encounter with John Brunner's work and I must admit it was quite enjoyable. Even though many reviewers say this isn't one of his best novels, I liked it; it was an interesting point of view on how humankind will deal with different alien species and approach the challenges brought by a multi-planetary society.
Simon Mcleish
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in January 2003.

Much early American pulp science fiction is extremely chauvinistic, having an attitude to alien races closely related to the worst racist propaganda; aliens are menacing, evil creatures seeking to take over the universe. (It is easy to get carried away by an exciting story, only to realise afterwards that it has an unpleasant hidden meaning of this sort.) Superhuman heroes battle inhuman hordes and win the love of beautiful women; women are
Craig
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Long Result, published by Ballantine in 1965, is one of Brunner's first "serious" novels-- as opposed to the works Ace had published from the mid-1950's on, which were primarily works of adventure/entertainment. This one didn't strike me as a work of deep significance like his later works such as Stand on Zanzibar or The Sheep Look Up, but it's a nice social commentary exercise in the vein of Pohl and Kornbluth. It's a nice enough story, but not really memorable. This edition has a rather ...more
Amedeea
Primul volum SF pe care l-am citit.Nu m-a impresionat foarte mult si nu este un must read dar nici nu m-am plictisit. Am inteles ca nu este cea mai reusita scriere a lui John Brunner insa cred ca voi mai incerca sa citesc carti SF, tot gasesc eu ceva interesant. Ceea ce la noi a fost tradus ca Rabdarea timpului, are de fapt titlul original The long result. Se aduce in prim plan vesnica tema a rasismului, nelipsit , pentru ca oamenii (nu toti desigur) niciodata nu sunt multumiti de ei insisi ce ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
John Brunner's The Long Result
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 24, 2013

I'm now a full-fledged Brunner enthusiast. I'm happy to finally be reading his work after having more or less ignored it for the, at least, 40 yrs I've known about it. I think I wasn't interested in him b/c I had the impression that he's a somewhat 'generic' SF writer. WCH, in a sense, he is. He doesn't have that obvious topical distinction that J. G. Ballard does, eg. Ballard pries open the festering
Stephen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short little book that works on so many dimensions. Like most good science fiction, it is placed in a futuristic context, but has a great deal to say about our world of today. The cover leads the reader to believe that this is a book about racism. It is, but it is far more than that. It touches upon what we now know as the Thucydides Trap (how a declining power can peacefully accommodate a rising power). It touches upon how technology underpins economic power. It also touches upon how ...more
Squirrel
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've owned this book most of my life; if I read it as a child, I definitely didn't understand it. Reading this now, 50+ years post-publication, I am struck by how clever, fresh, insightful, and positive it is. It strikes me as a model blend of the best SF of the 40s and 50s and the skillful breaking of the limiting mindset that insisted only engineering counted as science.

In all, however, this reading it struck me as a 5-star tale, with interesting characters, credible foibles, great thinking
Derek
I bought this book at a used store after reading the back cover, as it seemed a little too prescient for our current times. The plot described an Earth struggling with racism and protectionism at the hands of the "Stars Are For Man League", an organization that uses xenophobia and outright hatred to promote its goals, which are the subjugation of alien races and the promotion of human space colonization at their expense. (Sound familiar?)

The story is told through the lens of Roald Vincent, a
Kent
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as I was hoping, but still a good political/mystery thriller type of book. Maybe not a thriller. It involves an anti-alien group who is attacking visiting alien representatives on Earth. Roald is the main character and works in the Bureau of Culture and is sent to accompany the newest group to Earth and gets involved far deeper than he would have expected. As usual, Brunner does very well at portraying human behavior on grounds of xenophobia and intolerance. I can only imagine ...more
Jeremy
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first actual review as compared to just rating the book, so please be gentle. :)

At first I could barely wade thru this book. I kept wanting to give it up...it became tedious and remembering names, the twists and turns, who was who was a hassle.

But I stuck with it and I am glad that I did. About half-way thru the book it became a lot better, moved faster and became a lot clearer. It was as if it had two different authors.

So my advice, for what it is worth, if you find yourself ready to
Mike S
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
John Brunner is a great story teller, this book started out a little stiffly but got better as it went along, with quite an imaginative ending. I have read several books by Brunner and look forward to re-reading them since a couple of decades has gone by.
Florin Constantinescu
This is a decent vintage sci-fi novel.
The plot is original enough (and short enough) and the writing style is clear enough to make you finish it in ~24 hours.
However, a while after finishing it, all you'll be able to remember is the fact that you had a good time reading it. Which in some cases is much more than you would with some other books.
Josh
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book and also Brunner's Telepathist up while briefly in London and read them both repeatedly through the summer as I wandered about Europe.

Brunner really didn't write about women particularly well, at least not during this part of his career. I know that made no impact on me at the time - I only realize it upon reflection. But OTOH, I think both of these stories would survive intact were we to totally invert the sex of the characters, so it might not be quite as bad as I think!

This
Kevin
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
THE LONG RESULT

In an advanced society racism rears its ugly head and alien visitors are the targets. Who are the conspirators and why the hatred?

John Brunner weaves a terrific tale; he manages to capture the reader's attention with his subtle yet potent prose. The book's ebb and flow rides on a undercurrent of social unrest.

Starhome is a space colony formed by earth. Space colonies are expected to be just that; a space colony. Starhome is much more. Looking to break away from earth and form a
Jim
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brunner is one of my favorite SF writers and this one is not one of his more famous novels, but I like it. I read this book published in 1965 for the first time back in the 70s and have now given it a second reading.
Brunner likes to look at the social implications of future developments and here he shows a strong effect of humanity's contact with aliens. Some Earthmen have shown a strong racism toward aliens and have formed "The Stars Are for Man League" to make humans supreme in the galaxy.
Raj
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Even in the future, racism is alive and well. The Stars are for Man League is determined to use any means to keep mankind supreme in the galaxy. This book examines galactic politics, racism and bureaucracy and still manages to be a page turner! It's got that very 1960s positive attitude towards large government, the hero here being the head of a department in the Bureau of Cultural Relations (basically the alien contact agency of a united Earth) who has to deal with the League as well as with ...more
Clayton Yuen
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Here is another one of those novels that start off with a bang, presenting a scifi premise worth reading about. The story develops nicely, with introductions to several new worlds, many new aliens and more, then leads to a climactic blah. I guess I am spoiled into expecting a slam-bam ending to a storyline so wonderfully set up, but expect a great ending I did.

The Long Result really was a long long result . . .
Andreea
The first book of Brunner that I read was Stand on Zanzibar and I loved it. Great great book, but this is not Stand on Zanzibar yet it's not a bad sci-fi book. I was pleased to find a somewhat light novel by Brunner and if you read Stand on Zanzibar you probably know what I mean by that.

It was an easy read, felt more like a novella but it was fun.
Radu Stanculescu
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A classic story of "meet the aliens". Earth's contact person with its colonies has to turn into a detective in order to figure out how and why alien guests are being attacked on Earth, and who's actually pulling the strings.
Susan Otto
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review great story.

Review great story.

Good introduction to scuff reading with great story line, characters, and thoughtful insight to various human condition.
by Susan Otto

Phil Kozel
Not one of his best, but still pretty good.
David 25
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a good story and well worth a read.
CORA
Cool.
George W
Oct 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A History of Religious Ideas 1: From the Stone Age to the Eleusinian Mysteries
  • There Will Be Time
  • Genesis
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Homewreckers
  • Light (Kefahuchi Tract, #1)
  • Political Tribes: Group Instinct and the Fate of Nations
  • Counting Heads (Counting Heads, #1)
  • A Maze of Death
  • The Devil's Elixirs
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Beyond The Phoenix Project: The Origins and Evolution Of DevOps (Official Transcript of The Audio Series)
  • Dr. Bloodmoney
  • The Word for World is Forest
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • The Prestige
  • Burning Chrome (Sprawl, #0)
  • Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie ...more