Start by marking “The Truth About Negotiations” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Negotiations

The Truth About Negotiations

The Truth About Series offers in each book the collected and distilled knowledge on a topic and shows you how you can use this knowledge in your daily life. With an 'aha' on every page, information is presented in a clear and accessible style that the reader can easily reference. Written in short chapters, each book aims to cover an entire field of knowledge, cut to the gi ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by FT Press

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Negotiations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Negotiations

M. Nasiri
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management, business
The Truth About 53 series on negotiation.
Well written negotiation books using 53 truth to manage negotiation challenges in business and other environment.To sum up, everything you need to know to enhance your negotiation skills.
What I found interesting in this book about win-win negotiations:

"You have not what you deserve, you have what you negotiate"

ZOPA: "The Zone Of Possible Agreement" , In a business negotiation, two polar-opposite errors are common: reaching agreement when it wouldn’t be w
Parcoast
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this is a quick read, but unless you have done other reading on the topic of negotiation, I think this is a great introduction to the subject. I have been able to put a number of these principles into action, and feel like I have gotten better results, so it meets the initial smell test.

Were all of the "truths" useful? Not for me. Maybe I don't get all of the final points yet, or maybe I just don't understand how to apply them. At the same time, I don't think I have read yet that is 100% a
Greg Danklef
Easy read and great takeaways. I don't think this could be your only book on negotiation because it doesn't go into enough detail, but it is a solid companion to existing knowledge.
Jameson Ranck
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book about negotiations. The format is several bite-sized "Truths" as they are called, each ranging around 5-15 pages that highlight a different aspect of negotiations. Again, this focuses on interest-based negotiations and ways to ensure that each party goes away with the best experience and result as possible. It's short so I recommend it to anyone that hasn't read it so far, as it would help with anything from asking for a raise to engaging in discussions about differences of op ...more
Jonathon M Woloshuk
Great fast read!

It is a quick read on negotiations. However, I read it as part of a class. It does not go into great detail.
Lei Ding
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a dense summary of research-based negotiation insights.
(Not recommended as the main source to learn about negotiation)
Luigi
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Much better than the cover suggests, well written, easy to follow and usable as a resource. It doesn't go into great depth, which is possibly a good thing, but there is something in it for everyone who negotiates and as Leigh points out, there are negotiations in every aspect of our lives from who gets to use the bathroom first, to getting a good deal on a TV, buying a house, who goes to the wedding and getting your next job. Ultimately combine some smarts with truth and integrity and you can't ...more
Adam
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This book, by Kellogg Professor Leigh Thompson presents a quick, concise handbook of 53 negotiation tips. The tips themselves vary from common sense, to "academically" interesting, to valuable reminders. For what it is, (a handbook on negotiation) the book served it's purpose and did so quickly and concisely. My only complaint would be that the physical book should be about 1/2 the number of pages; it is formatted to make it appear more voluminous that it in fact is. That said, I appreciated the ...more
Volkan
Oct 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This was the first book I read about negotiations. It starts off with very tactical advice about negotiating. It defines terminology such as "winner's regret" and "BATNA" that are extremely helpful to anyone who tries to buy anything in a market setting, which is practically everyone. Towards the end, it loses steam a bit when it wades into cognitive psychology -- which is relevant but it's better covered elsewhere. All in all, pretty good book.
David
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
a slightly 2-hr reading on how to proceed to implement a sequential negotiation technique...very sequential as a point to maintain both's platform not to be deviated, ultimately to achieve a possible win/win scenario..other scenarios are also provided...alright to read..
Brandon
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Good introduction to the art of negotiations. There were times when I wanted more details on how to follow the advice, but the references proved to be a great place to go for more information.
Collette
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mba
Very easy read with palatable tips to consider when negotiating. Since reading this book and taking my MBA Negotiations class, I find that I view transactions through a different lens. I look for more win-win situations and I am more willing to speak up.
Katie Whichard
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book in its second edition. Although not entirely scientific, I think it offers pragmatic advice for negotiations and I will keep it close on my shelf for quick reference. I would recommend this book to my friends in sales and government.
Fabian Santana
Jun 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
The -blatantly obvious- truth about negotiations.

I'll spend as little time on this review as not to bore you anymore with it: Pretty useless beating around the bush for a couple hundred pages, then it goes downhill.
Robert
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction, mba
53 chapters go pretty quick when they're 2-3 pages each.

The title is a bit presumptuous, and some of the "truths" were better than others, but overall some good advice for negotiating.
Thomas McGuire
Quick, easy to understand tips. Hopefully I've learned / highlighted enough useful information for upcoming classes.
Cathy
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Captivating - (Audiobook)
Bonnie
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great truths, some of which I learned the hard way, others very valuable and good to have in my tool box.
Anh Tran
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very decent book! Back to the basic lesson, it is a win-win solution in every situation. It always takes two to tango!
Booklover
Jan 25, 2016 marked it as to-read-owned
Shelves: non-fiction, tbr
ebook
Jen
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a pretty easy read with decent takeaways, but I don't think it could be someone's sole source for information on how to negotiate.
Maen
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
كتاب جيد للمبتدئين يمكن قراءته خلال 3-4 ساعات..يتميز بتنظيم افكاره..يعاب عليه تبسيطه الزائد وايمان الكاتبة بحسن نية الطرف الاخر في معظم الفقرات
Arturo Mijangos
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: negotiation
Great book, very easy to grasp the concept of negotiations
Son Nguyen
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
It prompts me some basic steps and tricks with negotiation. I still remember BATNA techniques and stuff. However, it did not provide a comprehensive approach into negotiation.
Tina
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2014
Jane moriarty
Apr 01, 2017
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • The 1-2-3 Money Plan: The Three Most Important Steps to Saving and Spending Smart
  • Your Credit Score: How to Fix, Improve, and Protect the 3-Digit Number that Shapes Your Financial Future
  • Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home
  • Love Yourself And Let The Other Person Have It Your Way
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss