Start by marking “Manolito Four-Eyes: The 1st Volume of the Great Encyclopedia of My Life” as Want to Read:
Manolito Four-Eyes: The 1st Volume of the Great Encyclopedia of My Life

Manolito Four-Eyes: The 1st Volume of the Great Encyclopedia of My Life

(Manolito Gafotas #1)

The bestselling phenomenon from Spain about ten-year-old Manolito’s misadventures in Madrid.

“Don’t try to be different,” says Manolito’s mother. But he can’t help it—he doesn’t have to try. Whether he’s fighting over the One-and-Only Susana, trying not to fight with Ozzy the Bully, telling his entire life story to the school psychologist, or discovering the true meaning

Published July 19th 2016 by Two Lions (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Manolito Four-Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manolito Four-Eyes

Start your review of Manolito Four-Eyes: The 1st Volume of the Great Encyclopedia of My Life
Jimmakos Gavagias
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny.It's like the diary of a wimpy kid.I enjoyed it a lot.Manolito's brother nickname is the funniest ever in a book.I recommend it to all.I think i discovered the male Matilda.
Guilherme Semionato
A sublime achievement in writing for kids. Some kind of masterpiece for its warmth and humor and zaniness. Please read it in Spanish; Manolito's voice is freakin' untranslatable.
Silvia
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great Spanish story. I recommend it both to children and adults, anyone interested in how it feels to grow up in Spain.
Michalios_
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood at its finest.
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
Manolito has donned the nickname of Four-Eyes. All of the cool people have nicknames in Manolito's eyes. His best friend is Big Ears, but he also hangs out with the One-And-Only Susana (who is the girlfriend to everyone), Ozzy the Bully, and Paquito Medina (who is super smart). This group of kids seem to get into more trouble than they know what to do with. Manolito hangs out in the park, attempts to copy in class, watches Tasmanian Devil cartoons with the One-and-Only Susana in order
Katerina Stankovska
A hilarious novel describing the adventures of Manolito and his friends. Manolito is the narrator of his own life story and his way of telling is surprisingly authentic. Through his narrative we get a glimpse at the child who repeats what the grown-ups say (sometimes without understanding what has been said) and tries to make sense of the world around him. The novel also provides an insight into the life of Spanish children, which may seem quite familiar to the Bulgarian reader. If shared with a ...more
Jacqueline
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining story of a mischievous boy who has a loving relationship with his grandfather. I was charmed by Manolito and his way of describing of the world from the first page. I am so glad this best-selling book from Spain is available in English.

This middle grade novel also has some very wise words.

p.90 "When something bad happens to you, you have to think that you'll get over it, eve though you don't believe it. You'll get over it, and someday you'll remember it as if it happened
Angélica
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi infancia ...more
Books Books And more books
I loved this book, it was so funny and since it was written so long ago, there is different things such as pesetas instead of euros, but this book is really good and you end up relating to Manolito. ...more
Betty
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Ordered this hoping it would suit my grandson, but I think he needs to wait a year before he reads it. Maybe mid or end of second grade.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Manolito Four-Eyes is eight years old, and one of the funniest kids to come down the pike since the Wimpy Kid (funnier, I think).
He lives with his mother, his grandfather Nicolas (his unconditional ally), his baby brother The Bozo, his dad (who is a truck driver and on the road a lot), in a working-class neighborhood that features a city jail!
Manolito and his best friend Big Ears (who is also occasionally his enemy) go to the Diego Velazquez Elementary School along with the One and Only Susana,
Tayyibah Khan
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

“My name is Manolito Garcia Moreno, but if you come to my neighborhood and ask the first guy that passes by, ‘Excuse me, please, Manolito Garcia Moreno?’ – one of two things will happen. The guy will shrug, or he’ll mutter something like: ‘Hey, beats me.”

That’s because nobody knows me as Manolito Garcia Moreno, not even Big Ears Lopez, and he’s my best friend; even though sometimes he can be a dog and a traitor (and other times, a dog traitor), he’s still my best friend and he’s a whole lotta
J
Get in touch with your inner grade school self, and get a little cultural enlightenment while you're at it, by reading Manolito Four-Eyes. Manolito is a 10-year-old schoolboy in Madrid, and the Four-Eyes refers to the fact that he wears glasses. He lives with his parents, his little brother whom he nicknamed The Bozo, and his grandfather. Using fun phrases like "bore galore" and "whole lotta cool", Manolito describes his life as a young boy who constantly gets in trouble. Luckily, he's got a ...more
Katzi
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute, funny, special and wonderful little book about a VERY funny little Spanish boy living in the outskirts of Madrid. I enjoyed reading it in every sense and I really laughed hard every other page... and I certainly improved my Spanish! I recommend this book to all Spanish learners who want to be entertained while improving their Spanish skills! ;)
The little adventures of Manolito and his friends and family are just great to read, even for an almost adult reader like me! He is soooo
Lynn
A cute book about a young man about 10 years of age nicknamed Monolito Four-Eyes by his peers. He lives in Madrid Spain where apparently keeps his parents alert worrying what he will do next. His closest relative is his grandfather, who is a nuturerer as well as someone who needs care at times also. This book is a huge hit in Spain and is considered the equivalent of The Whimpy Kid in the US. I found amusing at times and very sweet. Another great book for those male reluctant readers.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Read the adventures of Manolito; this kid is a whole lotta cool! And so are his friends: Big Ears, the One-and-Only Susana, the genius Paquito Medina, even Ozzy the Bully. His grandfather Nicolas and his favorite (and only!) little brother the Bozo are the best and craziest in the worldwide world! Like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but a lot more fun!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

Manolito is a phenomenon in Spain (or so they tell me) and I can see why. What a voice this character has! Manolito wears glasses and has an annoying baby brother and friends who don’t always stick by him and bullies who pick on him and a grandfather who takes up for him whenever he can.

I liked this book so much.

A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Trinity School Summer Reading
Do you want to know how a Spanish kid lives in Madrid? Manolito and his family will make you laugh, and you will learn different aspects of another culture. You can read it in English or, of course, you can read it in Spanish. And there are many books to choose from. This series has been considered the Harry Potter in Spanish. There is no magic in Manolito's life, but you will not get bored.
Kristen
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is super cute!!! Really funny and tells of the adventures of this 8 year old boy growing up in Spain. I know they have some translations in English, and there are more Manolito books. It was a fun read for one of my classes and made me laugh out loud. FYI- The movie is not as good.
Kate
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Miguel
Shelves: ficción, kidlit
On Miguel's suggestion, I picked Manolito Gafotas to try out my Spanish comprehension. The entire book was hilarious and gave me some insight into what it was like for Miguel to grow up in Madrid. Most memorable for me is the scene in the Madrid Metro. Eerily accurate.
Gerasimos
Very fun middle grade book.
Maria
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariana Zadorozhna
Nice, easygoing story about the most common problems every person has in life, specially in the childhood.
Alexandra Bachman
Uses too much slang language which does not hold through the times nor is it good for Spanish as a second language speakers.
Iva
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Precious and funny story for all ages, especially for children.
Destinee Sutton
May 26, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8 to 12
Shelves: everyday-life, funny
A children's classic in Spain, finally translated in English. The illustrations look kind of Quentin Blake-ish!
Linh
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Manolito's just hilarious, certainly better than Nicholas, a whole lotta quirkiness and depth =)
Pooriya
Jul 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funy
because it is the firs book of Manolito serise it will have a magice effect so u cant put it away
Katya
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A kind and very funny book (fantastic language!)about Manolito, his Grandpa,his friends and his thoughts about Life. Russian translation is better than English, however.
Sora91
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 / 5 stars)

• Fray Perico y su borrico (Fray Perico, #1)
  • La vida del Lazarillo de Tormes
  • Los Trapos Sucios - Manolito Gafotas
  • Las lágrimas de Shiva
  • Las brujas
  • Sin noticias de Gurb
  • El pirata Garrapata (El pirata Garrapata, #1)
  • Diario de un skin. Un topo en el movimiento neonazi español
  • El camino
  • El secreto de Xein (Guardianes de la Ciudadela #2)
  • Caperucita en Manhattan
  • El viejo y el mar (Anotado)
  • Cuentos por teléfono
  • Tres sombreros de copa
  • The Little Vampire
  • La Celestina
  • Cinco horas con Mario
  • Luces de bohemia: Esperpento
Elvira Lindo is a Spanish journalist and writer.

At the age of 12 Lindo moved to Madrid, where she studied journalism. She did not get her degree, as she began to work in television and radio as a speaker, actress and scriptwriter. Her first novel was based on one of her fictional radio characters, the madrileño boy Manolito Gafotas, who has become a classic of Spanish children's literature.

Manolito Gafotas (9 books)
  • Pobre Manolito
  • ¡Cómo molo!
  • Los trapos sucios
  • Manolito on the road
  • Yo y el Imbécil
  • Manolito tiene un secreto
  • Mejor Manolo
  • Todo Manolito
“-Cuando te ocurre algo malo tienes que pensar que se te pasará aunque tú no lo creas, se te pasara, y a veces te acordarás de las cosas como si le hubieran pasado a otro
-¿y tú por qué lo sabes?
-porque me lo dijo mi padre una vez”
4 likes