Start by marking “Red Teaming: How Your Business Can Conquer the Competition by Challenging Everything” as Want to Read:

Red Teaming is a revolutionary new way to make critical and contrarian thinking part of the planning process of any organization, allowing companies to stress-test their strategies, flush out hidden threats and missed opportunities and avoid being sandbagged by competitors.

Today, most -- if not all -- established corporations live with the gnawing fear that there is anothe
Published May 16th 2017 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about Red Teaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Teaming

Start your review of Red Teaming: How Your Business Can Conquer the Competition by Challenging Everything
Billy Taylor
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travis Tazelaar
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best organizational decision science book I've read so far. I recommend reading his recommended reading list in the back of the book to round out your knowledge on the subject. The good thing is if you're reading this book, you've likely already read 1/4 of his recommended books (such as Kahneman, Klein, etc).
Nathan Albright
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Jellybooks.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

This book fits nobly within a tradition of business books that seek to turn insights gained by the military to those which can be used by businesses engaged in only slightly less serious competition in hostile environments.  This is by no means a new phenomenon [1], but it is ably done here.  The author spends a great deal of time here cultivating his audience.  He assumes, probably rightly, that
Mark
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure at the beginning of the book, with the heavy focus at the start on military red teaming, how it would be applicable to corporate America - was I ever wrong! Excellent book that moves you through the process of determining how/when to red team, the pitfalls, when to stop. I am re-reading the book to put it into use at work - truly an excellent resource.
Tom Donaghey
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
RED TEAMING by Bryce G. Hoffman is yet another tool in the corporate toolbox. While the concept of red team vs. blue team has been a staple in the military for decades (you've heard of war games and seen "The Dirty Dozen"), I'm surprised that no one has written a translation for private use.
Well here it is. Many a company runs by the unspoken motto: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. This leads to sloppy thinking, self aggrandizement and just enough openings to let in a smoother, younger, more f
Nancy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your Project from a Poorly Conceived Plan

Red teaming isn’t perfect, but used well it can save your project. The military, as Hoffman points out in the introduction, has a long history of using red teams. Recently their training program has been formalized. Hoffman was lucky to be allowed to attend a session to use the experience to bring red teaming to industry. Save

In addition to recounting the history of red teaming, Hoffman shares his experience in the military training course. This part of t
Becki Iverson
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Business books are only getting better and better these days, and Red Teaming falls right into that trend. This title caught my eye because my business has a process called red team right now on bids and I was intrigued if it came from this. It didn't (I don't think), but the idea is the same. On our red team calls everyone comes together to really critically assess each portion of the bid and question it to make it better. This book details the way that red teaming is used to critically assess ...more
Lovely Loveday
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a true business book that seeks to turn insights gained by the military to those which can be used by businesses who engage in only slightly less serious competition in hostile environments. Most companies believe that if is does not need to be fixed then not fix it which in some cases can lead to huge problems in the future. Any business needs to be well prepared and think ahead of all the what if’s that can come with any business. This book is a business tool that can help teach a ...more
Fred Leland
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to ensure you are covering all aspects of your plan or course of action red teaming is the way to go. The book covers red teaming history it's methodology and offers tools to enhance sound decision making. Red teaming is a great way to ready and prepare your organization. I highly recommend this book!
Via Bella
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can read the full review here but I actually really enjoyed this book. The history was insightful and really related to business and how we can all utilise the information. Definitely not a sit and read for fun book but a good read.
Read the full review here: http://viabella-thebeautifullife.blog...
Omar El-mohri
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Impressive book about the red teaming method that is used by CIA, US Army and many other military and corporations.
The ideas is to have a team within the organization to question any plan, status quo and find the potential problems that can be faced, just like the troubles that Detroit automotive industry get into.
Full of methods and suggestion on how to apply the art of Red Teaming.
Gooshe Net
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red teaming works. It works for small California tech start-ups and Japanese sovereign wealth funds. It works for old, iconic corporations and innovative disruptors. It works for nonprofits (NGO) and hedge funds. and it can work for your company, too, if you let it.
Florian Roth
The book is filled with empty phrases like „redteaming is not just thinking out of the box, but analyzing the box itself“ and „redteaming will change the way you think“ or „challenge everything“.
I read half of the book and couldn’t stand it anymore. I guess you could deflate it to a 50 pages book without loosing any valuable information.
Jeff Kowalk
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit tedious at times, even though I am a natural devil's advocate. Many good strategies and practices.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and its methods. This is a set of skills I want to get better at doing. I know I will be better at everything if I can master the concepts.
Josiah
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My best business book of the year so far.
Chris Gray
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful read with great tools for developing and refining strategy.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique and valuable

Fantastic new "old" way of looking at everything through a different lens. Already beginning to apply some of these ideas!
Leandro Lofrano
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great toolbox to help implement a robust process of plan analysis. Good reading!
Adam Parker
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning
After hearing an interview with the author on the podcast Art of Manliness, I knew I had to learn more. The previous year I actually took a course in my masters program in which this topic was discussed in depth. Let me just say, save your money and read this book, it did a significantly better job for about .5% the cost.

While the book described each of the tools in a very easy to understand way, and even partitioned them depending on the certain types of problems the reader might need them for
Marc
rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2017
Brian
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Great read for the idea of red teaming, a concept that is now used in the computer security realm. The idea is based on the reality that you're going to be attacked or hacked so the best way to to defend against this is to mock the attackers and fix the problems before they happen.
Katch
There are moments of brilliance in this book from Bryce Hoffman - the program is worthwhile, some techniques would be high value all the way from the boardroom to one's desk at home. On the flip side, there's an awful lot of logical reasoning and B-School strategy technique filler - list upon list in the back half of the book that made the choice nuggets a grind to pan for. Hoffman also doesn't really have a good answer for resistance to red teaming...he knows it's a key risk to success but his ...more
Justin Foster
Jamie Schwandt
Dec 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities
  • Survivor Song
  • Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Vegan Thai Kitchen: 75 Easy and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes with Bold Flavors
  • Common Mistakes in English
  • The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • The Wedge: Evolution, Consciousness, Stress and the Key to Human Resilience
  • The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business
  • Winning with People
  • American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company
  • Torino Nine (Clare Foster, #2)
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • FCBD 2015
  • Shells (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • A Teddy Bear Tale: Awakenings - FCBD: Free Comic Book Day Book (Awakenings FCBD 1)

News & Interviews

“Thinking Critically The notion that knowing how to think critically is a prerequisite for effective red teaming might seem obvious. But it also poses a challenge at a time when almost 40 percent of college seniors are “unable to distinguish the quality of evidence in building an argument or express the appropriate level of conviction in their conclusion,” according to the results of a nationwide survey released in 2015 by the Council for Aid to Education. Companies already know this. That same year, the American Association of Colleges and Universities released the results of a survey that found nine out of ten employers “judge recent college graduates as poorly prepared for the workforce in such areas as critical thinking, communication and problem solving.” 0 likes