Start by marking “Library Lion” as Want to Read:
Library Lion

Library Lion

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  7,980 Ratings  ·  721 Reviews
When a lion visits the library, no one knows what to do, there are no rules about lions in the library. Soon he is indispensable. One day the librarian falls and the only way the lion can get help is to roar, and that is breaking the rules. The next day the lion doesn't come to the library, nor the next day, nor the next day.
Published January 7th 2008 by Not Avail (first published July 25th 2006)

Candace
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-5-star
One day a lion visits the library. He soon discovers he likes story hour in the children's room. Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, tells the lion he may return for story hour if he obeys the rules. Soon the lion is there everyday to hear the story but also to help at the library. One day an accident happens and the lion breaks the rules. Are there times when rules are meant to be broken?

An enchanting book filled with colorful illustrations. It introduces children to the joys of the library
Elaine Mullane
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, childrens-books
One day, a lion walks into the library (the New York Public Library, mind you, where I actually bought this book). And, because there are no rules against a lion being in the library, he is allowed to stay. After all, he doesn't make any noise: his paws are quiet on the library floor and he doesn't roar. And the children adore him, especially at story hour, when they lean against his soft, warm fur.

Then one day, something happens in the library that causes the lion to react as lions do, and roar
Ann
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of cats, libraries, or if you want a broader understanding of rules
Recommended to Ann by: Katie!
What a sweet and touching story! The book is about a lion who decides to visit the library and stays. He helps out amongst the library staff and the children love him! And when someone falls and gets hurt, the lion must decide how to save them - even if it means breaking the rules.
The book is filled with beautiful pictures and a heartfelt writing style. The main characters are each unique and distinct. And there is a great message about rules being rules, but that even rules can be broken if the
Margaux
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I cry for a book it gets five stars.
Robert
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, 2010, 2009, favorites
Should a children’s book aim to teach important lessons to kids or just exist to entertain? This is a false choice and Library Lion shows just how possible it is to do both. I loved this book about a lion who falls in love with story time at the library, breaks the rules – by roaring in protest when story time is over – and is allowed to stay only on the condition that he obeys all of the rules from then on. Eventually there is a choice to be made between following the rules and roaring to fetch ...more
Rikke
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rikke by: Gitte Winneche
This is perhaps one of the cutest things I've ever read. Lions, libraries and love. What more can you ask for, really?
babyhippoface
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lion in the library? Well...give him a chance. As long as he's not breaking any rules (like roaring in the library), he can stay. But what happens when there's a problem, and a friend needs help? Is it okay to roar then?

Hawkes' illustrations have an old-fashioned, soft, kind of washed-out look to them, echoing the idea that the library is a place for muted voices (again--no roaring). Even very young children can read the lion's expressive face and understand how it's feeling at various points
Brina
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is one of our top five kids books ever. My kids are for the most part past the read to me stage but we love this book about a lion in the library so much that it ends up in our house every two to three months or so.
Nadine Jones
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
There aren't enough wonderful adjectives in my vocabulary for me to be able to adequately express just how very wonderful the lion is. This story has it all: excitement, satisfaction, comedy, drama, melodrama, jealousy, suspicion, angst, sorrow, and joy. There's a lion ... In the library!
Skip
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A delightful children's book, with quality illustrations. And a moral message too. A strict librarian runs a tight ship, and nobody is quite sure what to make of a lion, who likes to be there. Turns out that he is a nice addition to the library, especially when things go wrong and he has to break the rules.
Kathryn
Absolutely wonderful!!! I loved it!!! Great for cat-lovers and library-lovers. Please, Library Lion, come to the El Dorado Hills library! ;->
Renée Paule
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful book with a moral.
Evelyn Morgan
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
I saw a recommendation for this book on Goodreads. I checked it from the library. What a lovely children's book! The story is so funny and unique. The illustrations by Kevin Hawkes are just enchanting. I've always loved to visit libraries from the time I discovered their existence. This story of a lion who loves to visit the library is endearing and also has a moral. Sometimes it's necessary to break the rules if you have a very good reason. I think children should be introduced to this book in ...more
Lisa Vegan
I enjoyed the terrific illustrations by Kevin Hawkes; they really make the book special. I love libraries, lions, and encouraging kids to think for themselves, in addition to learning to follow the rules. This book has all that.
معصومه توکلی
آن یک ستاره را صرفاً به دلیل حسادتم به شیر و سایر اعضای کتاب خانه ی مذکور کم کردم نقطه
Anu
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kerrassaan mainio tarina, tosiasioina hyväksytyt absurdit lähtötekijät (yhtenä päivänä kirjastoon vain saapui leijona) ja ehjä draaman kaari. Toimii aivan loistavasti ekaluokan ja eskarin ääneenluettuna satuna. Efekteiksi riittävät kirjan kuvat, dramaattiset tauot silmänpyörittelyineen sekä äänien jäljittely, tassun, tassun, tassun, tassun, Rooaaaaar ja fiuuuuu pumsis.
Tarinan opetus: "Kirjastossakin saa joskus juosta ja huutaa, jos vaikka kirjastotäti tai kaveri on kaatunut ja satuttanut itsens
Tina
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
love this story about a lion that wanders into a library and listens to story time. When story time is over he roars in protest. Roaring is not allowed. He is only allowed to come back when he promises to come back. He becomes an indispensable part of the library. One day he breaks the rules. He has good reason but.... Perfect story for teaching about rules and sometimes you may have to break a rule.
midnightfaerie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 2 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. The illustrations made the lion very lovable, so much so that you just wanted to hug him. A great addition to any children's library.
Angela Blount
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story, with softly colored illustrations and a gentle-yet-important message.

I was pleased that some segments of this book were pretty dense with text, albeit in a large enough font to still be well accessible to smaller children. My 7-year-old picked it out from her school library, and it held her steady engagement. But it was my studiously rule-driven 8-year-old who probably got the most out of it. (The ultimate moral of the story being it's sometimes okay to break certain rules--partic
Alexandria
I'm a sucker for any book set in a library. But when you add a heart-warming story about biases, making friends, and finding your place in a community and I am all for it. I'm going to buy a son a copy for Christmas. Hopefully it will teach him the rules of the library, why they're important - and when to understand that friends are more important.
Scottsdale Public Library
I loved every second of this book: cats, libraries, beautiful illustrations, and rule-following. What a wonderful mix of teaching and entertainment!
– Michelle V.
Alison Strandell
Showcases the magical atmosphere of the library =)
Nicole
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this 3 stars bc it was entirely too long for my 19 month old and didn't hold his attention. But I figured that's not the book's fault. Good book, but definitely more appropriate for an older child.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! My son and I read it together, taking turns. I would ask him questions about the plot and he would come up with what he thought about it. It was great.
Heather
Text-to-Teaching

This is my new favorite book! I am big on rules being absolutely necessary before being deemed rules. I have no patience or need for rules-just-for-rules-sake. I think it would be a perfect first day, or first week, of school book. After a read aloud, the teacher could create the Class Rules Agreement (or whatever he/she wants to call it) with the class. The teacher can ask the students what kind of environment they could like to have and then create the rules to make it happen.
Carson Anderson
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This is a remarkably heartfelt story about a lion coming to a library. When the lion first shows up to the library Mr. McBee, who runs the circulation desk, is alarmed and tells Miss Merriweather, the librarian, that there is a lion in the library. She tells him that this is not against the rules and to leave the lion be. Mr. McBee is not very happy about this. At first the library patrons are very nervous about lion being there, but he follows the rules and is very well behaved. The children in ...more
Gabby Mondelli
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
I stumbled upon this book after listening to a group of second graders whispering in the halls about how much they’d like to have their very own library lion. Having never heard of the book, I stopped the students, not to tell them off for talking in the hallway as any trained teacher is supposed to do, but to get a book recommendation. I was not disappointed.

“The Library Lion” takes place in Miss Merriweather’s library. She is an extraordinarily strict librarian who prides herself on maintaini
Corlie Aldrich
As a former library media specialist, I used this book from the recommendation of another media specialist to introduce the expectations in the library. A classroom teacher could also use this to help prepare the students before their first library visit.
Anna
I've watched a brilliant video, where Mindy Sterling reads this lovely thing.
Check it out HERE, on StorylineOnline's Youtube page.
Video has illustrations from a book throughout, by the way. Which makes the "reading" experience even cooler.

[This channel and the StorylineOnline children’s literacy website in general are my newest discoveries. There you can watch and/ listen to a whole lot of awesome picture books being read to you by amazing actors and actresses including Kevin Costner, Rita Mor
Hugh Stuart
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story explores the terrifying prospect of a fully grown male lion gaining entry to a public library. However, this lion doesn't eat anyone or cause a major disturbance. Instead, he becomes popular with the small children and librarian and does his best to follow the library's many rules. The tale allows us to unpick the idea of rules and when and how they should (and must!) be broken. A really lovely story for KS1 and early KS2. I read it to my Maths set during storytime and they were rapt.
  • Wild About Books
  • Bats at the Library
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • The Library
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Dog Loves Books
I'm the author of 45 books for young readers for all ages. Titles include the New York Times best-selling picture book Library Lion (illustrated by Kevin Hawkes), the middle-grade fantasy novels The Dragon of Trelian and The Princess of Trelian, and the YA novel Evil Librarian, which won the 2015 Sid Fleischman Award for Humor(!).

My newest book is the picture book Marilyn's Monster (Candlewick, Ma