Start by marking “Maid of the King’s Court” as Want to Read:
Maid of the King’s Court

Maid of the King’s Court

In the vibrant, volatile court of Henry VIII, can even the most willful young woman direct her own fate and follow her heart in a world ruled by powerful men?

Clever, headstrong Elizabeth Rose Camperdowne knows her duty. As the sole heiress to an old but impoverished noble family, Eliza must marry a man of wealth and title — it’s the only fate for a girl of her standing. B
Published March 14th 2017 by Candlewick Press (first published April 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Maid of the King’s Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maid of the King’s Court

Start your review of Maid of the King’s Court
Paromjit
This is a historical novel written by the historian Lucy Worsley which charts the growing years of the young Eliza, and her cousin, Katherine Howard. Both arrive as ladies in waiting of Anne of Cleves in the court of Henry VIII. Eliza has a difficult relationship with Katherine and has to grow up quickly. There is plenty of scandal and intrigue with great descriptions of life in the Royal court. We all know what happened with Henry and Katherine! Lucy Worsley gives us knowledgeable insights and ...more
Erin
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't watched a Lucy Worsley documentary you should. Lucy is a great storyteller both in writing and in her great documentaries. The Tudors are such a fascinating Royal bloodline, with Henry The Eighth being the most talked about. I feel like Henry's first 3 wives Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, and Jane Seymour get most of the attention with good reason those marriages had the most influence on World History but all of his wives were fascinating women.

Maid of the Kings Court focuses
Susan
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first children’s novel by historian, Lucy Worsley. I have enjoyed her adult, factual books, and was keen to try her first novel. Although this is described as for children, I personally enjoyed it very much but would suggest it is more YA than a children’s book. Some of the themes, although sympathetically written about, and not in any way graphic, are more suitable for approx 11+ in my opinion.

Our heroine is young Elizabeth Camperdowne, who we first meet when she is twelve and livi
Serethiel ☽ ✨
Well, this was a huge no.

I'd expected a nice, neat little package of sweet historical fiction with a dash of innocent romance. What I got was... well, not that.

There was a fair bit of content, and though it didn't happen onscreen, exactly (and it did come on towards the end), it was definitely present. I would've marked this as DNF, but since it was almost over, I went ahead and finished it anyway. (I suppose the blame is partially on my part for expecting a decent story when King Henry VIII was
Elaina
Wouldn't recommend this book :/ I really hated the characters and the content in it...I should have looked at some reviews before reading it ...more
Lady Entropy
This was... well, disappointing.

And more so when the author's final note on "Why I Wrote This Book" the goes and makes it all even worse.

Allow me to go from the start: this story follows an invented girl, Elizabeth, whose wealthy noble family had fallen on hard times. She manages to somehow end up at court as a maiden with her cousin Katherine (#SpoilerNotReallySpoiler, the one who marries King "Gotta Catch 'em All" Henry). And then what happens? Well, obviously what everyone expects: Katherine
Morris
“Maid of the King’s Court” is an excellent historical fiction novel about life in the court of King Henry VIII.

While the story of Elizabeth is fictionalized, most of the facts of life at the time are as historically accurate as possible, owing to the fact that the author (Lucy Worsley) is a British historian who actually works at the castle featured in the book. I have always enjoyed reading about life in Tudor England, and this novel did not disappoint. It’s also surprisingly clean considering
Rhiannon
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Novels set in Henry VIII's court are like catnip to me. So as soon as I saw Maid of the King's Court took place during the rise and fall of Catherine Howard, I knew I had to read it.

Did it live up to my expectations? Well, yes and no. It's a very readable book (I basically devoured it in one go) but it lacked the depth I would have hoped for.

Lucy Worsley is a curator at Hampton Court Palace, so she knows this historical setting inside out. But while her details are spot on, Worsley takes a lot o
Midgetbee
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-kindle, mine, x-2016
According to the Epilogue this books was partly written because a mean historian discounted a theory a friend of the author had about the layout of Hampton Court in the Tudor period and called Katherine Howard a silly girl. Apparently this book was supposed to be some kind of vindication for the teenage queen and show a different side to her, and show the legendary scene of Katherine running across Hampton Court begging Henry to forgive her that the mean historian said didn't happen.

I'm not real
Katy Noyes
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cilip-reviewcopy
I was thrilled to get a copy of this - I love Lucy Worsley's historical TV programmes, and I could imagine that her storytelling ability and enthusiasm would transfer well to the written word.

I would say though, that this is NOT for particularly young or immature readers - it does encompass storylines familiar to adults of Henry VIII's court and marriages - mistresses, beheading, court politics. The cover may look like Jacqueline Wilson, but I would say it's aimed at a Secondary School (age 12+)
Christina Reid
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up while browsing in my local library and I'm so glad that I did - the story of Katherine Howard is told through the eyes of her (sadly fictional!) cousin Eliza Camperdowne as they are trained for the royal court and learn to navigate the intricacies of courtly manners and intrigue.
We follow Eliza from the age of 11 to 20 and her growth during that time is both realistic and manages to create a sympathetic character who raises questions about the constrictions placed on her and other
Aneta Bak
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Maid of the King's Court is a very well written book.

It is the story of Elizabeth Rose Camperdowne (fictional character) during the time of King Henry the VIII. While this is a fictional story, many of the events happened in real life and the author, who is a historian, did an amazing job mixing fantasy with history.

As a child who grew up in Europe, I've heard stories about the mad king who could not bear children and beheaded his wives (don't ask me why they tell children this story). What I di
Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛
-POTENTIAL SPOILERS-

You know which reviews I hate writing the most? They're not positive reviews, nor negative reviews. They're not reviews for a super hyped-up book. No, those are often the most fun for me to write. The reviews that are the hardest for me to write are for books that I liked or disliked, yet can't expand on WHY I feel that way. Hence why I wrote so little reviews when I first joined this site, because many books I read made me feel that way. And I can't really talk about a book
Stephanie
I absolutely devoured this book, a delicious historical novel set in Tudor England, with a fabulously sharp and spiky narrator who is the cousin (and rival) of Henry VIII's ill-fated wife Katherine Howard. I'm not sure exactly which genre to class it in, as it breaks some of the "rules" of children's literature - it looks from the cover like an MG novel, and starts with Eliza at 12, but by the end of the book she's 20 and has been dealing for years with the questions of how to operate in a licen ...more
Brooklyn Tayla
This was oddly refreshing. It is presented as a children's or Young adult historical fiction novel and told from the perspective of a 12 year old girl, who dreams of the finery that Court has to offer.

Eliza Rose goes to live with her cousin after a family disgrace, and who is the cousin but Katherine Howard? I found this such a surprise, but a good one of course! And I was definitely caught off guard by how sly young Katherine is. Eliza was such a cute character, I sympathised with her all the w
Kristin Davison
In this novel Katherine Howard's story is re-spun. I no longer see her as a silly little girl that she has been portrayed as for hundreds of years. I see her as a girl who was possibly a victim of her time. History is a series of stories that always have another side to them.
I loved the concept of the novel and the insight it brings into the Tudor court. Eliza Rose is a novel for younger people and helps them to access the history in a more understandable and interesting way. I also loved the il
Kirsty
I really enjoyed this book.

I loved how well it did the history and how it makes it a read I can give to my students without being worried they'll come away with loads of ridiculous misconceptions about the time period.

I really enjoyed the take the story had on a young Katherine Howard and her motivations that led her to become the person we remember from History. Much like Harriet Castor's VIII I love that this book makes her real.

I also really enjoyed the story. It was fast paced and interestin
Luna
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
I enjoyed this book, Eliza is an engaging narrator and I was halfway through the book before I even realised. The chapters are quite short and story follows Eliza from when she is twelve to when she is eighteen.

Much Eliza Rose is about Eliza’s life when she meets Katherine and what happens at the King’s Court; personally I found the beginning of the book more interesting. At twelve Eliza is an adult, ready to be engaged and aware of her responsibility, yet she also clings to her doll and has no
Kirsty
I really enjoyed this story. This book follows Eliza who is Katherine Howard's cousin. We get to see Eliza's journey through the Tudor court. Eliza is brought up to do her duty she needs to find a husband in order to support her family. She is sent to spend time with her cousin so that she can be educated in how to behave at court.

We get to see Eliza be a maid to Anne of Cleves and has that marriage breaks down we see the rise of Katherine Howard. I think this book created a really realistic im
Lidya Amalia Rahmania
This book is so well-written. I was irked everytime the narration showed any mysogynistic treatments towards women in 1600s. But this proved how accurate the historical events were written. How to portrayed the old king of England and his jolly companions. I recommend this book to be read by all feminist, to see how far we've come. Yeah it's still a long journey for women to be empowered as we all imagine, but we should be glad by living in this time and era.
Lynn Peebles
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I've always been interested in the Tudor time period with King Henry VIII and I really enjoyed how this novel played off the time period. It was very interesting and I couldn't put it down!
storytime-reviews
Eliza Rose tells the story of Henry VIII’s fifth wife, Katherine Howard, from the perspective of her fictional cousin, Eliza. Written by historian Lucy Worsley, this novel presents Katherine Howard from a completely different angle compared to regular accounts. Worsley herself states in the end of the book that she wished to provide more understanding of Howard’s actions, and perhaps suggest a reasoning for the reputation that she ended up with.

This novel is simplistic and easy to read, and I e
Grace
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. At times it was a bit dull and felt a bit dragged out. However, I love the Tudor era so that aspect of the novel was brilliant.

The book tells the tale of a fictional girl who was present within the court of Henry VIII as a maid of honour for both Anne of Cleeves and Katherine Howard. I thought the ending was a bit silly, and I kind of disagree that Eliza would have chosen that path after previous decisions she had made previously.

However, it was refreshi
Hannah Flowers
I so wanted this book to be better than it was! Lucy Worsley’s non-fiction is excellent and I wanted her YA foray to be just as good. I found the main character, Eliza, quite annoying as she swung back and forth between condemning the corruption in King Henry’s court and choosing to join in revelry.

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I know of Lucy Worsley from the BBC documentaries. Her speech is lovely, and I especially love the work she does with Mark Hill – they’re like a zany version of the Lutece from BioShock in a way.

But onto the book. Set in Tudor court (Henry VIII’s time), we meet Eliza Rose (fictional, not from history) when she is quite young. Quite spoiled and selfish, she thinks mostly of herself as she’s part of a noble family, so has always had an easy life and never had to lift a finger for it. However, her
Elisha Jachetti
MAID OF THE KING’S COURT by Lucy Worsley is a YA historical fiction novel set in England during the reign of King Henry the Eighth. The book follows Elizabeth Camperdowne, who must find a suitable man to marry in order to provide her family with wealth and stability. As circumstances unfold and she has the opportunity to become the King’s mistress, everyone urges her to take action quickly. However, Eliza has her own hesitations, aware that most of the King’s past lovers are now beheaded. Must s ...more
Caitlin Christensen
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I am a sucker for historical fiction, so when I saw that Maid of the King’s Court focused on the Tudor period of British history I was instantly reading to read it. There are some great things going on here, but unfortunately, this one fell a little bit flat for me.

First, the good.

I love that Lucy Worsley actually works in London as Chief Curator of Historic Royal Palaces, and that she got the idea for this book from rumors that Katherine Howard still haunts the Hampton Court palace, racing t
Caitlin
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review originally posted on my blog, Turning Pages.

I stumbled upon this book on NetGalley, and it sounded so fascinating. King Henry! Katherine Howard! Drama! Romance! Danger! However, it became clear to me early on that the book attempts to cover too long a period of time, and therefore readers are kept distant from the story being told.

I struggle to even write this review, because the truth is I read it in one
Elizabeth Frank
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

You can tell that was a very well researched novel which is super important to me when reading Historical Fiction. As a historian and lover of Tudor Era England this was a delight! I could really connect with the romance as it doesn't really develop until the very end of the novel and it just felt like a lazy plot device to end the novel BUT everything else about this story was great!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Play Book Tag: Maid of the King's Court / Lucy Worsley. 4 stars 1 14 Apr 19, 2017 07:10PM

• Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
  • The Confession of Katherine Howard
  • Anna of Kleve: The Princess in the Portrait (Six Tudor Queens, #4)
  • The Shadow of the Pomegranate (Tudor Saga, #3)
  • Doomed Queen Anne (Young Royals, #3)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11)
  • My Tudor Queen: The Diary of Eva De Puebla, London, 1501-1513
  • Patience, Princess Catherine (Young Royals, #4)
  • Period Power: A Manifesto for the Menstrual Movement
  • Katheryn Howard: The Scandalous Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #5)
  • First of the Tudors
  • The May Bride
  • The Peacock Detectives
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • How Not to Disappear
  • In the Fifth at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #5)
  • Blood Moon
I was born in Reading (not great, but it could have been Slough), studied Ancient and Modern History at New College, Oxford, and I've got a PhD in art history from the University of Sussex.

My first job after leaving college was at a crazy but wonderful historic house called Milton Manor in Oxfordshire. Here I would give guided tours, occasionally feed the llamas, and look for important pieces of p

News & Interviews