Start by marking “100 by 100: Stories in 100 Words” as Want to Read:
100 by 100: Stories in 100 Words

100 by 100: Stories in 100 Words

Possible uses include:
Causing bad dreams
Prompts for community college writing group
Bedtime stories for children with narcolepsy
Reading
Published August 8th 2016 by Rock 'n' Roll Dino

To ask other readers questions about 100 by 100, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 by 100

Mandy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looooved it! Quirky, funny, and smart little stories!
Lori
100 stories, each told in 100 words.

As I read the collection, I thought about how challenging it must have been, as an author, to structure stories under such a specific constraint, having to maximize every. single. word. I found myself wondering how many times a story changed because he wasn't able to make it work in 100 words.

In most cases, ML Kennedy really pulled it off. Favorites were "A Question Better Suited for the CDC", "All I See Are Nails", "Between the Worlds Incredulous", "Bugs",
Amanda
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Al
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2016
In the book description as well as in the introduction to this collection author M.L. Kennedy riffs off the saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” to explain that each of these 100 word stories are one tenth of a picture. It's a clever comparison because it helps drive home how difficult it is to tell a good and complete story in so few words. Yet Kennedy does it again and again. Whole pictures even.

For those who haven't read much flash fiction (extremely short stories, usually no more tha
K.B. Jensen
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a fellow author, I am amazed at M.L. Kennedy's ability to write such funny and horrifying pieces at exactly 100 words. His tiny stories are big on humor and entertainment. Some of the creepy imagery sticks with you and makes you shudder long after you are done reading. Because the pieces are short, it's easy to binge read them, but make sure you pay close attention to get the twisted humor hidden in the lines. This is the kind of book you could read out loud to a friend on a road trip or scar ...more
Sheri
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
100 by 100: Stories in 100 Words by M.L. Kennedy

A collection of stories of 100 words(or so). Some of them are scary, funny, bizarre and maybe a combination of several genres. All stories are fantastically written and very enjoyable. Although the stories are short, a lot happens and left me wanting more. I highly recommend 100 by 100: Stories in 100 Words byM.L. Kennedy M.L. Kennedy, I feel there is something for everyone.
Jacob Surface
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A great book for those who love short reads and twist endings.
Connor Coyne
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Those of us who follow the literary adventures of M.L. Kennedy are accustomed to the brisk tempo, the brashly supernatural, the self-deprecating wit. 100 by 100 mixes it up some. Not in the sense that these characteristic signatures of Kennedy's writing aren't there – they are – but they aren't what most captures a reader's attention.

Flash fiction has enjoyed something of a vogue in the last few years; it is uniquely suited to mobile devices and social media, it is something that can be enjoyed
David
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading this book reminds me of beer (or wine) tastings. When you finish sampling one and wish to try another, it is recommended that you cleanse your palate with some water. Your resetting your taste buds so that your new taste experience won't be unduly influenced by the previous sample. This book is like that. When switching from one novel to another, this book would serve as a great literary palate cleanser. It's refreshes your brain and has the bonus side effect of entertaining it as well.

M
mmdomega
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed this book. The concept is wonderfully intriguing. Each story is so different yet the structure makes it cohesive. Reading the stories one after another was like experiencing many little brain explosions. So many thoughts and ideas came rushing to me as I read and it inspired me to begin writing my own stories again. I highly recommend anyone pick this book up and enjoy it as much as I did.
University of Chicago Magazine
M. L. Kennedy, AB'01
Author

From the author: "100 by 100 is a collection of 100 stories that are each 100 words long. Mathematically, that makes each worth 1/10 of a picture. Some of these 0.1 pictures are scary, some are funny, some are funny and scary, while others are just odd."
Sandra Lopez
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A picture’s worth 1000 words; these stories each have but 100.

“30 Days of Santa” had a creepy test and it almost read like “Twas the Night before Christmas.”

“April Showers” was a clever rendition on the fortuitous rain that cleansed the blood of April’s hands.

“Ennui” is about a poltergeist that can’t wait to haunt the living.

These snap shot tales were witty, quirky, and full of irony. They gave just enough for snarky quip, but, of course, the only downfall was that it leaves the reader wanting m
Sharon Sellers
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great collection of flash fiction stories that are clever, surprising and well written. You'll be thoroughly entertained, and amazed at how much can be said with just 100 words.
Starr Kennedy
Aug 17, 2016
THERESE LOCKE
Aug 17, 2016
M.L. Kennedy
Aug 17, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Redfootblue
Marie
Aug 24, 2016
kashia
Aug 25, 2016
ML Kennedy writes about the spooky and the mundane. He has released a rust-belt travelogue/vampire novella called The Mosquito Song, as well as a short story collection called Thanksgiving for Werewolves and Other Monstrous Tales through Tiny Toe Press. Kennedy has a blog where he writes stories in exactly 100 words. You can find out more about those and his slightly longer stories at wbxylo.weebl ...more