Jump to ratings and reviews

Custos Securities #3

A Catharsis Novel

Gideon McCade—weighed down by memories of his previous life as a Navy SEAL and a CIA agent—has blood on his hands. He turns to his BDSM club, Catharsis, and Dominating submissives to get him through the daily grind of civilian life. Knowing his past is too much to inflict on a life partner, he keeps his connections brief and superficial. When his former life comes back to haunt him, his desire for revenge pulls him back into the shadows, darkening his hopes for a future in the light.

Temporarily sidelining his career as a tattoo artist, Sebastian Phillips works as a composite artist for the local police department. To alleviate the inescapable burden of a congenital medical condition, he immerses himself in his art and seeks the catharsis of submission. But with life weighing heavily on his shoulders and darkness encroaching, he yearns for a contract with a Dominant that sees past the protective barriers he’s erected to the vulnerable submissive within.

When happenstance brings Gideon and Sebastian together, their connection is undeniable. The knowledge that they are both too damaged to form permanent bonds of love causes them to rely on an impersonal contract to fulfil their physical needs. But staying emotionally detached becomes impossible, and breaking their contract seems the only option. Will Gideon’s need for vengeance and Sebastian’s declining health destroy what’s grown between them, or will they help each other find their way back into the light?

*Author’s Note:* For those of you that prefer warnings—trigger or otherwise—for your books, please use the “Look Inside” feature to find the warnings within the first few pages. For those of you that hate warnings—don't “Look Inside” . . . Happy reading!

468 pages, Kindle Edition

First published July 6, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Luna David

21 books601 followers
Luna David is a true romantic at heart who was fortunate enough to find and marry her soul mate. Most of the time she considers herself lucky to have been blessed with having g/b twins, but they're giving her a run for her money. She's a stay at home mom and an author, so when she's not begging her little monsters to behave, you'll most likely find her writing.

She loves anything book, coffee or dark chocolate related and can't think of a better way to pass the time than to combine all three. She reads romance novels voraciously and while she prefers contemporary romance with strong Alpha males finding their soul mates, she's a sucker for any well written, romantic story regardless of genre.

She created the Custos Securities Series because she loves to write what she loves to read. Her books feature strong dominant males and the men they would die protecting. Toss in some BDSM and kink and you've got her Catharsis Novel Series, The Boys Club Series, and Kink Chronicles Series. She loves nothing more than making her readers feel a wide range of emotions with her words. And she hopes you enjoy reading her books as much as she loved writing them. Happy Reading!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
19 (1%)
1 star
14 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 145 reviews
Profile Image for ~Mindy Lynn~.
1,396 reviews580 followers
July 19, 2017
5 AMAZING STARS!!!

I was very excited when I read that this was not only Sebastian's book, but Gideon's. I for some reason thought it was going to be Cooper and Sebastian. WRONG! And happily so. We meet both of these men in the first book. I was curious about Sebastian and intrigued by Gideon so I was very happy to see that these two men would be coupling.

Sebastian is a heartbreaker in the sense that his story is heartbreaking and will pull all the heart strings. But what really broke my heart for the young man was how he just concluded this was how life was going to be for him. His acceptance that he wouldn't be in a loving relationship or ever be truly happy and healthy was just sad. I wanted to climb in the book and hug him and cuddle him to claustrophobia. He is very independent and keeps a lot to himself. He learned he had to be this way at the young age of 5. I won't give any details on why that is because in doing so I will spoil it.

Gideon was quite the mystery in the previous books and I was completely taken by him and wanting to know his story. We get everything and his past is troubling and now spilling into his present. He's not taking it to kindly either. He's trying to move on and settle into a life with his new BDSM club. This is where he meets Sebastian and their first meeting was just as heartbreaking as everything else in Sebastian's life.

This book is a rollercoaster of emotions. There were as many highs as there was lows. I was over the moon with Gideon one moment then frustrated and wanting to give him a whipping session in his club the next. But of course he won me and Sebastian over in the end.

This was definitely my favorite out of the series. Saying that though, I do want to express how much I have adored all the books in this series and its characters. I am highly anticipating the next book!

Give this series a chance if you've yet to do it!

Happy reading dolls! xx
Profile Image for Erth.
3,375 reviews
May 9, 2019
This book is So Good, and even better in Audio.

Tristan James really does this book justice with his narration. I've read this book several times before. But I fell even more in love with it after the narration he gave us for these two men. I think he did an amazing job, especially for this one being on the longer side. I did not want to pause it, and my attention was fully on this book the entire time. Great Freaking Job!! My favorite out of all Tristan's books I have now.

Sebastian goes through so much in this book from the beginning right through to the end and it just tugs non-stop at your heart, you cannot help but fall in love with him. He's one of my absolute favorite characters. I just want him to find love and be loved, he really deserves every bit of happiness.

Gideon, I was really not sure how I felt about Gideon at first, even after reading and listening to this numerous occasions he really does take some time to thaw your heart to him from his actions. I think he's perfect for Sebastian though, but him realizing it and getting to that point is a serious struggle. He has so many demons that he just doesn't realize how great he is and that he is exactly what Sebastian needs. These two have some amazing chemistry and are extremely hot together.
Profile Image for JAN.
1,094 reviews734 followers
Read
July 28, 2017
Available on Kindle Unlimited

****4 Stars****

Saving Sebastian is the third book in the Custos Securities series and the first one I read. With 525 pages, I almost let it pass as I usually avoid long stories like the plague. The dragging feel I’m scared of didn’t show its face though. In fact, I was completely hooked.

However, at around 50% mark, the story took I direction I wish I could erase. Sebastian's health issues were a turn off for me and I don't think there was need for that. The story had enough elements to keep it interesting, from Sebastian's insecurities, the D/s relationship development, the intriguing character of Gideon to the secondary characters. It had great potential to turn out as a winner without that heavy bit. But this is me, my very personal view of it. I know many readers would love that.

Overall, I think it deserves 4 Stars. I loved meeting Gideon. Such a great character and Dom. The way he was so attuned with Sebastian left me in awe. Swoon! They had fantastic chemistry and were extremely hot playing their games. Not to mention the deliciously age gap - 41 and 28.

The finale was a bit cheese but hey, after all trouble the guys went through, I couldn't care less. It was a well-deserved cheese HEA.
Profile Image for Denise H..
2,895 reviews201 followers
June 9, 2019
***** A MUST READ FOR FANS OF BDSM, D/s, ROMANCE AND DRAMA !
This is a marvelous tale of Dominance and submission. Two men with extremely different pasts; but each man had lasting effects from their experiences. This goes deep into the BDSM world, but it is SO much more.

We get a full novel of lives melding, realizations, problems and fixes. We open with a violent torture of an evil man, by special ops, former SEAL, Gideon, which shows us his capability. Submissive, captivating Sebastian, 27, is then rescued by huge, imposing Gideon, 39, who resolves to be Sebastian's Dom.

Sebastian leaves out a key piece of health information from Gideon while they negotiate their contract, which will be devastating later on. As they proceed, each man has deeper feelings than expected, and each man feels he doesn't deserve the perfect man he is dealing with. Sebastian's never had a friend or family, and thinks his flaw makes him undesirable. Gideon has a violent past and doesn't think he's good enough for his sweet boy

Their D/s relationship is a thing of beautiy to experience. Breathtaking. There is a warning to read at the beginning.
Our author, Luna David, gives us superb BDSM play and aftercare, with toys, whips, restraints and breath play being used. Magnificently erotic.
I loved this story. The characters are fantastic; it is deeply emotional, and my tears flowed several times.
Heartwrenching.

I am immensely glad I read this profoundly amazing story. I was absorbed in this novel all the way through. So rewarding.

I recommend it highly ! ENJOY !

=======
Profile Image for SoCalBookReviews.
602 reviews18 followers
December 20, 2018
This book is So Good, and even better in Audio.

Profile Image for Theresa.
2,950 reviews
August 6, 2017

DNF @ 30%. Gideon was pushy, bossy, and rough. Without any prior interaction or watching each other scene at the club, Gideon rushed Sebastian into a 6 month D/s contract with only a 48 hour trial run. Gideon was like a bull in a china shop.

Sebastian acted like a star struck fan girl and went right along with it.
Profile Image for Susan.
2,174 reviews380 followers
November 10, 2017
The toughest reviews to write are 3 star books. I don’t want to spend too much time writing a review, but I do want to explain what I liked and what bothered me. I’m going to try to keep this short.

What I liked:
- Sebastian. I just loved reading about him. He was so strong, despite him being so sick. And he tried to do everything himself. A bit stupid, but also admirable in some way. I did want him to accept help a little sooner, but I guess he needed to hit rock bottom for him to see this.
- The hurt/comfort parts were amazing. When I was reading those parts I was convinced I would give this 4 or 5 stars.

What I didn’t like:
- Gideon. I really tried to like him, but I never warmed up to him. I did like how he took care of Sebastian, but most of this book he was a humongous asshole. He really hurt Sebastian before things got better.
- The BDSM parts. Which is weird, because I love BDSM in my books. I can only say that because Gideon rubbed me the wrong way, I had a hard time liking how he dominated Sebastian. Sometimes I felt he did it right, but most of the time I hated those parts. It didn’t even feel sexy anymore, just annoying.
- The extremely detailed torture scene at the beginning where Gideon slowly tortures someone to death. I don't care that it was a bad person, it was just too detailed for me.

So 5 stars for the hurt comfort parts, 2 stars for the rest.

Ps, I read this as a stand-alone. I was slightly confused at first, but got over that pretty fast, so you don’t necessarily have to read the other two books.
Profile Image for Carol.
2,253 reviews71 followers
February 22, 2022
This was not simply about the acts of a BDSM relationship but was the complete development of a true personal relationship and one that was done so with such depth, attention and patience. The character development, including their doubts, hesitancy and questions revolving around their worth to one another was beautifully captured. I seldom shed tears over a book...but many times I found their situations almost shattering. Watching Sebastian, whose parents turned their backs on him, find himself and learn his true worth and how precious his love was to and from Gideon, was priceless. Every aspect was so beautifully and amazingly crafted. I guess this is another one that will go on my reread list.
Profile Image for Chris.
2,066 reviews
March 25, 2018
Ive worked out this authors writing style now - overly descriptive, extremely romantic and long. In saying that, I quite enjoyed this book. Gideon was an ex navy seal / Dom and owner of a BDSM club. He was reserved and stand offish, not wanting to let anyone in due to his history and dark side. By chance he meets Sebastian at his club after saving him from a lunatic. Sebastian is a quiet, humble sub with extremely low self esteem. He just wants to fit in and find a friend. Sebastian suffered from seizures and was in a very bad way with his health and like Gideon, kept people at bay. This is their story which really was lovely, even if some events really were a bit OTT.
Profile Image for Karen.
1,859 reviews84 followers
September 13, 2019
Wow! I guess that about says it all, I listened to this on a couple of months ago and just now realized I never added it to my books read...so this was a thing and I listened to it the narrator was once again Tristan James and as much as I adore him as a narrator he really didn't save this one for me any more than he did the previous audio books...

So I'm wrapping it up with 3 stars because while the story just didn't work for me the narrator totally got me through it and I'm moving on. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's a this just didn't work for me thing.
Profile Image for Amanda.
594 reviews12 followers
April 12, 2018
I really liked it but damn. The information I got in this was sometimes on overload. I got distracted and it took me away from the story. I really did adore Gideon and Sebastian though.
Profile Image for S.J. Himes.
Author 19 books1,299 followers
July 8, 2017
In Saving Sebastian, we get a long, complicated, and amazing tale of two men haunted by life, circumstances, and past choices.

Sebastian is one fo the strongest and most endearing characters I have ever come across. He is so strong, and he is going through so damn much in his life that if I were in his place, I might have broken long ago. His needs as a submissive are what keeps him going. There's trouble there, though, and my heart breaks for Sebastian as he tries to find someone to meet his needs. Someone trustworthy and willing and capable has been a struggle.

Gideon!!! OMG! *gah* Gideon is my kind of alpha male. Tall, tough, steady, and so damn toppy I want to scream for him. I think I will, actually. *screams* His past is so dark and twisted and the talents and skills he learned working for the government comes in handy as he finds himself drawn back into a life he wished he could leave behind. Gideon is unapologetic in his ruthlessness. He owns it. I love that about him.

The way Sebastian and Gideon connect is amazing. So drawn to each other, they resist. The tension between the two of them is explosive and seductive. I love how they both deny themselves the relationship they obviously want--there is no easy and instant solution to the hangups they both have. Their connection, though, is real and grows with every encounter. I felt everything. I cried with them, I raged with them, I felt the fear and the affection and the absolute strength of their love by the very end. I was left stunned and drained and wanting more, but utterly content with the place they ended up.

This book is about living. How we live with what and who we are, and how we fit together. And it was a sexy, joyous and sometimes frightening journey from the very first page to the last.
Profile Image for Carra.
1,663 reviews25 followers
July 21, 2017
Luna David has been on my authors-to-watch list from her first release, and in Saving Sebastian she doesn’t just nail it, her writing truly soars. The characters of Sebastian and Gideon are complicated, each strong in their own way, but also vulnerable and closed off. The thing is, once you put the two of them together, they each become what the other needs—not just physically, but mentally and emotionally.

Sebastian’s character is simply astounding. Even given his health and personal issues, he still has tremendous strength and is independent, though he still craves submission. I truly admired him for his self-reliance even facing everything he was, and he’s become one of my favorite characters of all the books I’ve read so far this year. The author really triggered my emotions with Sebastian, with his reliance only on himself and his disbelief that his circle of friends not just exists, but continues to grow throughout the story.

Gideon is the absolute definition of a Dom, nurturing and in control. He has plenty of demons in his past, some that come rearing their heads in the present day to slam the reader right back into the cold, hard world.

Gideon and Sebastian together? Incredible, sensual, deeply emotional and just amazing to read. There is drama and pain, balanced by tenderness and pure love. Gideon and Sebastian’s D/s scenes are magnificently erotic, detailed and they demonstrate the unconditional trust between the two men. Their journey is difficult, but captured my attention right from the start, making this book one that I’d definitely classify as unputdownable.

Saving Sebastian is a fantastic story, and for me was a clear 5-star read that landed solidly on my Top Recommendations list. It’s emotional and searingly hot, and if you’re a fan of M/M erotic BDSM romance, it’s going to probably push every one of your buttons. This book is meant strictly for readers 18+ for adult language, sexual content, and some graphic scenes involving Gideon’s more unsavory activities, including torture. While this story is part of a series, it can still be read as a standalone, though you will probably want to read the first two books before starting Saving Sebastian—just to get the background on the supporting characters that appear in this book.
Profile Image for **Kαчcєє**.
628 reviews17 followers
March 17, 2020
4 𝗌𝗍𝖺𝗋𝗌

𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗒 𝖾𝗇𝗃𝗈𝗒𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾 𝖣/𝗌 𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗒...𝗂𝖿 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗌𝗄𝗂𝗉 𝗍𝗁𝖾 ��𝗂𝗋𝗌𝗍 𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗒 𝗌𝗁𝗈𝗐𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖦𝗂𝖽𝖾𝗈𝗇 𝗂𝗇 𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗋𝗈𝗅𝖾 𝖺𝗌 𝖺 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗍𝗋𝖺𝖼𝗍𝖾𝖽 𝗄𝗂𝗅𝗅𝖾𝗋. 𝖭𝗈𝗍 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖨 𝗆𝗂𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝗄𝗂𝗇𝖽 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀, 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝗂𝗍 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗍𝗈𝗈 𝗅𝗈𝗇𝗀 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖨 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗍𝖾𝖽 𝗍𝗈 𝗀𝖾𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗒!

𝗌𝖾𝖻𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 ❤️ 𝖶𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖺 𝗌𝗐𝖾𝖾𝗍𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍. 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝖺 𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗍𝗎𝗋𝖾𝖽 𝗌𝗈𝗎𝗅. 𝖨 𝗐𝖾𝗉𝗍 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗁𝗂𝗆. 𝘊𝘙𝘐𝘌𝘋 𝘍𝘈𝘛 𝘉𝘐𝘎 𝘍𝘈𝘛 𝘛𝘌𝘈𝘙𝘚
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘕𝘎𝘚𝘛 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘰𝘰𝘳 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘪𝘯 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝖾.
𝖨𝗍 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗒 𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖽 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗆𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝗅𝗂𝗄𝖾 𝖦𝗂𝖽𝖾𝗈𝗇. 𝖨 𝖽𝗂𝖽𝗇𝗍 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝗅 𝗁𝖾 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝖾𝗇𝗈𝗎𝗀𝗁 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝖲𝖾𝖻𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇. 𝖧𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖽𝖾𝖾𝗆𝖾𝖽 𝗁𝗂𝗆𝗌𝖾𝗅𝖿 𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖾𝗇𝖽, 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗇𝗄 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝖻𝖺𝖻𝗒 𝖩𝖾𝗌𝗎𝗌.

𝖻𝗎𝗍, 𝖨 𝖽𝗂𝖽 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝗅 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗍𝗈𝗈 𝗆𝗎𝖼𝗁 '𝗍𝖾𝗅𝗅𝗂𝗇𝗀'. 𝖳𝗁𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗐𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗍𝗂𝗆𝖾𝗌 𝗐𝗁𝖾𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗐𝗈𝗎𝗅𝖽 𝖻𝖾 𝗌𝗈𝗆𝖾 𝖽𝗂𝖺𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾, 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗇 𝖺 𝗉𝖺𝗀𝖾 𝗈𝗋 𝗌𝗈 𝗈𝖿 𝖺 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖺𝖼𝗍𝖾𝗋'𝗌 𝗍𝗁𝗈𝗎𝗀𝗁𝗍𝗌. 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗀𝗈𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝖻𝖾 𝖺 𝖻𝗂𝗍 𝗍𝖾𝖽𝗂𝗈𝗎𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖽𝗋𝗒.

𝖮𝗏𝖾𝗋𝖺𝗅𝗅, 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖺𝖻𝗎𝗇𝖽𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾 𝗈𝖿 𝗁𝗎𝗋𝗍/𝖼𝗈𝗆𝖿𝗈𝗋𝗍 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗄𝗂𝗇𝗄: 𝖺𝗅𝗈𝗇𝗀 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝗐𝖾𝖾𝗍 𝖺𝖽𝗆𝗂𝗌𝗌𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝗅𝗈𝗏𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖺𝗀𝖾 𝗀𝖺𝗉 𝗆𝖺𝖽𝖾 𝗂𝗍 𝖺 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝖽. 𝖨𝗍'𝗌 𝖺 𝗅𝗈𝗇𝗀 𝖻𝗈𝗈𝗄, 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝖲𝖾𝖻𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇'𝗌 𝖧𝖺𝗉𝗉𝗒 𝖤𝗇𝖽𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗌𝗈 𝗐𝗈𝗋𝗍𝗁 𝗂𝗍 <3
385 reviews22 followers
April 1, 2018
I'm still surprised by how much I loved this book. It is a bdsm book, and I really don't care for those. I think it's the connection and chemistry I feel between Gideon and Sebastian. They really sell how special and necessary it is for their personalities. Gideon really wants and needs to care for someone to heal his wounds. Sebastian has never has anyone to rely on in his life EVER. His parents considered him a burden, and he felt that way his whole life. My heart broke for him, and his ability to still give such love after a shitty life was awe inspiring. He feels more control when he's given his control away. I just loved Sebastian so much. He's a tattoo artist whose specialty is tattooing over people scars. He just wants to help people feel good about themselves. He's police sketch artist on the side. He just gives his all to everyone, and asks for nothing in return. I was so happy he got his HEA. Loved it.😀
Profile Image for Ed Davis.
2,216 reviews63 followers
December 23, 2018
4 and 1/2 Stars. I really enjoyed this book. I loved Sebastian and Gideon. They were incredible and drew me into their story. This book went so quickly for me. I just never wanted it to end. I’m going to check out other books by this author.
Profile Image for Jesslan Rose.
1,035 reviews31 followers
April 4, 2021
By Luna David

This book left a very strong impression on my heart. It also left my emotions feeling overwhelmed. Luna David has a tendency to do that to me when I read her books.

Sebastian has had a really hard life and he's completely alone. He has no friends. His parents abandoned him emotionally at age six and want nothing to do with him. Through it all he's also dealing with a severe medical condition. One that continues to worsen as his medications become less and less effective. He feels no one will see him as worthy of being a friend, a submissive, or even a partner in life. Bastian has been so kicked down by his parents and others over the years he misses what the special people in his life see... That he is amazing, wonderful, sweet, generous and loving.

Gideon is a former Navy SEAL and occasionally works for various 3 letter agencies on specific jobs. He sees himself as to dark and damaged for any relationship to be permanent. So he keeps to short term Dom/Sub contracts. When he saves Sebastian from an abusive Dom who's visiting the club that Gideon owns he's determined to be in a short term contract with him, but begins to think that he may not be able to let Sebastian go.

My heart just broke for Sebastian. He deserved the world and instead all he got was stepped on and kicked by his life and the people in it. While Gideon was wonderful with him, there was a point at about 52% that I hated him and I continued to hate him for a little while. Though I understood why he felt he had to follow through on his revenge he failed to truly look at and see just how sick Sebastian was and what he was doing to Sebastian emotionally. Of course it does have the HEA, but it takes a long time to get there.

The best parts of the book are when Sebastian is surrounded by his new besties, Zoe & Braden, and Gideon's family who takes him in as their own.

This book is very high in angst. (As a lot of Luna David's books are.) You'll definitely need a box of Kleenex. It's written in both Sebastian and Gideon's POV.

PS That amazing cover is
Profile Image for AG Reads.
422 reviews8 followers
April 6, 2018
2.5 stars. T

his had the potential to be a great book. Unfortunately, the lack of an editor killed it. In addition to frequent grammatical errors, there were significant problems with content. Everything from uneven pacing to too-slow character reveal to confusion of who was speaking made the story clunky and choppy. The author's choice to tell significant scenes as long flashbacks instead of showing them in the current timeline eliminated the building of the connection between the two MCs. Those scenes resulted in page after page of story in italicized type, which was just as annoying as the flashbacks themselves. Too much time was devoted to unimporatant details, while in other places important parts of the character sketches were barely touched on.

This was the only book I have read from this author and I can't recommend it. Until such time as a decent editorial service is hired, I won't be reading anything else from her.
Profile Image for The Novel Approach.
3,071 reviews134 followers
August 2, 2017
Each of the books in this series are standalones, but David’s characters do overlap. Books one and two were about Braden and Zavier, and since Gideon is Zavier’s brother, he had cameo appearances in those books. Sebastian also, as a member of a mutual club, was introduced in a previous book. That being said, you do not have to read books one and two, but doing so will give you a greater sense of time and place, and will enhance your reading experience of Saving Sebastian.

Sebastian is a submissive through and through. He also has a debilitating degenerative disease. Sebastian has lived with the knowledge, and the symptoms of his epilepsy for years, and he’s done his best to prepare for the eventualities to come. He’s learned to tattoo ambidextrously. He’s prepared for the blindness. He’s prepared for everything. Except for Gideon.

Sebastian broke my heart. The strength that David put into this character is astounding. We learn about all the facets of Sebastian’s illness and what he has done to cope with it, all without it spiraling into a depressive state. The care that David took in creating Sebastian’s character comes through in the writing. He knows that he isn’t a long-term bet. As a rule, he keeps people at a distance. He has learned to exist within a carefully constructed world; it’s how he copes with his issues. He loves his job as a police sketch artist, but his part-time passion of tattooing over other people’s scars feeds his soul. As a submissive, he joined an exclusive club, and while it isn’t ideal, and no one has ever wanted him for anything more than a scene, that’s ok with him. Getting attached to people isn’t his forte, anyway. Oh, but the way that Gideon wraps him in his ropes makes Sebastian feel safe in a way that hasn’t ever happened before, and it makes him long for things he has long felt just weren’t for him.

Gideon has done many things he’s not proud of. Doing wet work for the CIA has eaten away at his soul and left a black smudge on his conscience. He no longer sees himself as worthy of being a partner to another man. Sure, he’ll write a contract with a submissive, but it will state right up front that it is a business transaction and that there will be NO emotional involvement whatsoever. Trying to free himself from the last of his commitments to himself and the CIA is difficult. Gideon’s story is gritty; it’s a redemption story, and David writes Gideon as a compassionate but ruthless alpha male. He’s justice personified. When a submissive is attacked in the BDSM club he owns, he finds himself drawn to the man, not just to protect the submissive but also for the reputation of pure submission that the submissive has. He’s still determined to keep it no-strings-attached, but he wants, and does, write a contract with Sebastian to be his Dom.

There are several storylines within this book. Sebastian and his illness is one. Gideon and his work with the club and the CIA is another. Then there is the story of these two men coming together. David handles them all quite well and brings a unity to the story, joining her characters in believable ways, and creating secondary characters who help propel the two men toward their HEA.

I loved this story. I loved the BDSM elements to it, which were treated with respect and accuracy. Sebastian and Gideon were perfect for each other. Gideon sees Sebastian’s inner strength, and Sebastian brings light to Gideon’s darkness. This book is a journey for these men, both separately and together. They are haunted by illness, past choices, and circumstances beyond their control, but their chemistry together is off the freaking charts. I absolutely recommend this book and this series. It’s long but it’s worth it.

Reviewed by Carrie for The Novel Approach
Profile Image for Heather Martin.
1,448 reviews10 followers
July 24, 2021
Saving Sebastian

I have been looking forward to Sebastian and Gideon's story and what a story it is! It's not happiness and light though. I can tell you that I was wishing horrific futures on Gideon at one point and a life of misery. Lucky for him, he redeemed himself and proved he was worthy of the beautiful Sebastian. Sebastian broke my heart, I even had to pause my reading at one point because of my crying. I loved everything about Sebastian and am so happy he's gotten the life he deserves.

And Zoe & Finn was a very happy surprise! I can't wait to see who comes next, but I hope the McCades will be just as involved in their story!

But, if you don't like reading about BDSM, this book is not for you. It's very, very BDSM. If you can keep an open mind and realize that everyone loves differently, then give it a shot!
Profile Image for Jo * Smut-Dickted *.
2,038 reviews457 followers
July 13, 2017

I loved the first two of this series and this one is even better. The time and attention the author takes to assure you really feel invested with the characters. Here there are a lot of issues - not angst necessarily, just issues to be worked through. Past and present - from medical to coming to terms with what and who you were and who you want to be. The kink is delicious - though if pain is your game this is not real descriptive from the sub's side. The family and friends are main pieces - and matter greatly. I found myself crying a few time at the utter desolation of Sebastian and his past. Didn't expect that! Gideon, once he got on board, was a bit too perfect of a Dom but he did admit his faults - and he did have them. It's an easy book to read, in spite of all the pages. You don't want it to stop!
Profile Image for J.
2,909 reviews38 followers
July 14, 2017
A lot of high ratings for this book but I'm afraid it didn't really work for me. It was a long story and it seemed there was a new element added to it every few pages. The book started off with a rather grisly revenge murder scene and then we had D/s, medical problems (fairly severe ones that I had a hard time accepting wouldn't be noticeable at times), commitment phobia, self esteem issues, and a lot more. Good premise for the story but it just had too much going on to be a smooth read for me.
Profile Image for Sara MacRae.
260 reviews1 follower
December 25, 2017
Saving Sebastian is an extremely well-written book – style and detail, plot strength and development, intimate characterization, vibrancy of storytelling, you name it. The cusps and chasms of vulnerability, and the raw, clawing edges of emotion, were almost too much to grasp and bear at some points – rarely am I brought to tears, but Sebastian’s wounds and scars could force ice to thaw. Gideon was a powerfully intoxicating figure, a protector, in so many ways. To explain and convey the romantic and authentic devotion, commitment, and love these two held for one another is nearly impossible to do… it just was.

When I started reading this book, the first I’ve read by author Luna David – I hadn’t experienced Zavier’s and Braden’s story – I wasn’t immediately awestruck, even though I could tell that the author was an exceptionally gifted and talented writer. I scouted the early reviews a couple to three times, and after consistently finding “brilliant!”, “outdone herself!”, etc., I forged on. The pace wasn’t fast, things weren’t “changing, happening, and jumping,” and the scenes evolved steadily, logically, and languidly, almost at life’s pace – the two grew and evolved naturally, questioned themselves, faced demons, lived life, expressed regret, felt, heard, thought, and breathed. And then it happened for me – it all made sense, the build-up and story-building all fell into place, and I was entrenched hook, line, and sinker until the final page.

I was blindsided by Luna David’s brilliance with words and her magical storytelling ability in the best way possible: mesmerized without warning. Saving Sebastian also left me with a greater understanding of and appreciation for the D/s lifestyle – and I’m thankful on so many levels for that.

There are so many scenes and episodes I continue thinking about – for me, that’s a sure sign clincher of a masterful work, one that remains with you, in your heart, your head, your thoughts, and your dreams. There’s no doubt about it – Saving Sebastian certainly delivers on all counts.

Oh, and that cover? Breathtaking.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader’s Copy of Saving Sebastian.
Profile Image for Cee Brown.
1,305 reviews34 followers
July 21, 2017
¸.•*¨)☆♡¸.•*´¨)☆♡¸.•*´¨)☆♡
♡☆(¸.•´Sit back cus this is gonna be 5 stars long.

Cathartic.

Despite the angst and the hard limits and the deep, sometimes dark theme of this book, I feel relieved. Like I ran a marathon, but despite not placing first, or even in the top ten, it is as if I am floating down from a high.

Few authors hold my attention with long books; these are in a class of their own: Tal Bauer, Ann Lister, Sloane Kennedy, Luna David. Are you getting a theme here? I love action, I love romance, I go gaga for suspense and drama. Add a touch of BDSM, and you have me hook, line, and sinker. Luna David draws her readers in, grabs them by the nads and weaves an intricate tale of getting what you want even if you think you are not brave enough to ask for it.

Luna David does it again. Woman, are you crazy? Just over a work day of reading, but who cares? This is Ms. David's longest novel to date and yes, Braden may have been my heart, but Sebastian was my king. There are few authors that arrive on the scene and locks me in place and keeps me there (see above, LOL). I cannot wait for more.

Former CIA operative with a grudge Gideon, brother to Cade, was a true dominant. He just didn't have it, he exuded it. The man had not only lost his lover, but he'd lost his men. That first scene showed just how determined and dedicated he was when it came to fighting for justice. Jason Bourne meets Mission Impossible, SO worthy!!

And Sebastian, when we met him in book two, he was this shy, almost submissive police artist who was an emigma. I couldn't always figure him out as he was strength and weakness (not in a bad way) rolled up in one.

From the instant Gideon saw Sebastian, he was on the path to protecting him. For a man who had stepped back from the scene despite owning the club, he just knew Sebastian was going to be his and moved forward in his negotiations.

Ms. David fleshed out her characters, bringing them to life. The fact that this book played hard on the BDSM genre didn't even distract from the love affair going on right before our eyes. This book had so many elements and competed to be my number one in the series. Zavier/Cade and Braden and the magnificent Grandma Clara make appearances along with another brother, the doctor Finn, who definitely needs his story. I will not hesitate to recommend this book, heck, this series.

I voluntarily and honestly reviewed this book without bias or persuasion from the author.
Reviewed by Cee from Alpha Book Club
descriptiondescription
Profile Image for Denise GremoryKohta.
3,360 reviews4 followers
August 21, 2017
I love this series. Gideon and Sebastian are perfect for each other. They are exactly what each needed. What makes this book and the series so great is how Luna David shows the different types of relationships in the BDSM community. She has a wide variety of complex characters with vastly different life experiences. I won this book in an event and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review. Now all I need to know is are we going to be getting stories for Sawyer, Jackson, Killian, and Khaleo? I'm not pick on the order lol.
Profile Image for Teri.
1,761 reviews
April 8, 2018
my effin review got deleted. I enjoyed this. I really loved Sebastian. He was very sweet and he had a lot to learn about friendship and family and accepting help. I loved Gideon, though he frustrated me by holding himself back. I love the issues, not that I wanted anyone hurting or suffering, but this was the shit that pops up in life. I wish i will read more and will be going back for zavier and braden's story
Profile Image for Pat.
50 reviews
May 7, 2020
3,5*

Rating this one was tricky because reading Saving Sebastian was kind of like a roller coaster. One moment I really liked it, then I didn't like where it was going, then I did and I didn't again. So it was tricky. I feel like I'd rate it as somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. Giving it 3 seems too low and considering the system doesn't allow me to give half stars let's go with 4*.

The book begins with kind of... a strong scene showing us what Gideon, our dom, is capable of. I get it, he was getting revenge but I cannot let go of the feeling that the scene didn't really fit with the book. Considering such a strong scene it's what I expected Gideon to do the whole book. Getting rid of these guys. But he didn't. Then there was Boone, his former sub and also a someone who asked him to do a job for him but wasn't satisfied when Gideon did exactly what Boone could have expected him to do.
Also, Boone was truly annoying. I didn't understand why his character had to be in the book. There was a kinky scene with him and his "new master". Then he called Gideon few months later because he wasn't satisfied only for coincidentally Sebastian overhearing them and finding out about Gideon's past. So yeah, the character was just just to create a mess but he had no real purpose. (Also, can it be really considered only Gideon's past and what he used to do when he killed the guy not so long before meeting Sebastian from my understanding?) I also thought that his character got too many scenes that could have been scenes between Gideon and Sebastian.

Which gets us to another issue I had. Saving Sebastian is the the book that has this same problem as many m/m books have. Suddenly falling in love with the character out of nowhere. Truly. Sebastian and Gideon were in contracted relationship for... what, 5? weeks, then Sebastian's medical issues started so he was kind of avoiding Gideon and then the Christmas/New Year scenes came. And they're in love!
How?
How do you fall in love with someone you're purposely avoiding revealing anything personal to and they do the same thing? They literally didn't talk about anything personal to not cross lines and keep it strictly as a contract relationship for few months.
Apparently they enjoyed some time together talking about favourite movies and colours but how would I know? How would I know when the author summarized it in few sentences and I didn't actually get to see them talking like that/possibly falling in love?

The timeline was all wrong.
They weren't together even long and as Gideon/Sebastian mentioned themselves they mostly met only during weekends so how do you fall in love during such a short term when you avoid talking about anything personal? Sex doesn't do magic no matter how many times you fly, Sebastian, or how tight Sebastian's bussy is, Gideon.
So yeah. I think the author should have given us... let's say 5 months of them being happy in contract shortly before the period ending and Gideon wanting to prolong the contract for another 6 months but Sebastian's seizures would be getting worse. It would also give them more time to fall faór each other than few weeks. It would also cause a bit of drama because Sebastian wouldn't know and he'd think their contract would be over soon anyway but he'd be still satisfied with what he got.

No personal information.
So yeah, they tried to keep it clean and emotions-free, I get that. Which was kind of a bullshit because yeah, how do you fall in love with the person if you don't know them but also, I myself didn't know them well? At least when it comes to Sebastian.
The book had two povs and yeah, I did get Gideon's life but I didn't understand what was going on with Sebastian. I had NO clue. And it was very, truly very irritating and annoying.
I suppose the author wanted to make this grand revelation but it didn't really work well in my opinion because we find out about Sebastian's medical issues, about him not meeting with his family for 9 years, about their family seeing him as an abomination all at once right after Gideon was an asshole to him. *sigh* It was a bit too much.
We read the story from Sebastian's pov too so we should have known more about him, not find out everything when Gideon did.

Sebastian was a sweetheart. I felt so sorry for that boy. He was so sweet, so pure yet he felt like he had to do everything alone because he's never had anyone and felt like Gideon would get rid of him quickly if he made any mistakes because that's what his past taught him. So he also tried to keep to himself and leave his relationships with people clinical.
And how self-conscious he was! Man, I have no self-confidence but Sebastian feels like a new level of no self-confidence at all. Felt. Because suddenly towards the end he started becoming quite different from the character we've known from the beginning of the book. I was happy to see him become less self-conscious but man, the change was way too quick. Considering everything you'd expect something like that taking a bit longer especially since he viewed himself that way his whole life.

Gideon was... yeah. He was really nice with Sebastian but otherwise he felt kind of like an asshole? Kind of? I don't know, he didn't seem to have good relationship with anyone and snapped a bit often at others so... I wasn't sure what to think about him really.

The author did this thing where she cut off the scene at basically its beginning and we jumped to another scene where the character was thinking of what happened before so we got back to the scene from before but it was a character thinking about how things happened. Which lead to reading many, many pages in italics. *sigh* If the author did it once, okay, but it happened about five times and it was getting kind of really irritatting. Especially when we were seeing Sebastian/Gideon having good time, then suddenly the scene got cut and we were with Sebastian in his office and he started thinking back about their weekend so we kind of got back to that scene but it wasn't in present anymore. Really hope the author won't do this kind of a thing often in other of her books.

So yeah. The end was way too lovey-dovey too. Okay, move in together yeah but why getting married? Please just get to know each other well and then to this kind of a thing!

Overall I did enjoy it but at some parts I also didn't because of the reasons I've explained. I liked how the author focused on Sebastian's medical issues, explained it well and didn't just brush on it. But, I wish we had known sooner what it was really about.

Maybe my mistake was not reading the prequel first but I doubt we'd get to know so much more about the characters there considering prequel is about different pairing. I kind of wish Sebastian became friends with Braden sooner because suddenly Braden being so... eager to become friends with Sebastian felt only like a way for the author to keep him in the book and for him to be in the scenes. But he had that reason already since Zavier was Gideon's brother. But as I said, Gideon didn't seem to have such a close relationship with anyone? Despite obviously having a loving family who supported him? At very least, that was my impression. So yeah, instead of those scenes about Gideon and his past life he could have rather built his relationship with his family. Or could have shown us that they are a truly amazing family.
So yeah. Considering there are two books about Braden and Zavier the friendship between Braden and Sebastian could have started there. Especially since the poor boy was so lonely... he really had no one by his side and thought he'd have to do everything alone. He was breaking my heart. But I also loved him a lot. And I hope him and Gideon will be happy in their universe despite everything going a bit too fast, haha.

And despite the book being pretty long it didn't really feel that way. I didn't get bored while reading it.
Profile Image for Kat.
71 reviews
July 14, 2017
I have to say that, before this book, I never understood the phrase “Book Drunk”. After having to give myself a full 24 hours to recover from this incredible and amazing book, I totally get it!

We have seen a bit of each of these characters in the previous books. Gideon is Zavier “Cade” McCade’s brother and Sebastian is the police sketch artist that helped Braden, Zavier’s husband, with the sketch of his assailant. Gideon is a former Navy seal and CIA agent. He has a very dark soul and has “ about an ounce of humanity left” in him. He has had to do the nastiest of jobs and it has carved away at his soul. He doesn’t believe he has anything left to give to a partner and really doesn’t deserve one. Sebastian relies entirely on himself. His parents made sure that he knew, from a very young age, that he is a burden. He doesn’t let people close because he doesn’t want to be a burden to anyone ever again. When Sebastian is called in to help Nana, Braden’s grandmother, in a sketch of her attacker he runs into Braden and Zavier, along with Zavier’s brother Finn, who is a doctor at the hospital. Then he is roofied at the BDSM club that Gideon owns. “Saving Sebastian” is story of these two broken, lost men’s journey into the light.

Sebastian has to be the saddest character I have ever read. He literally made my heart hurt. He is the sweetest, most caring and giving person but he is totally alone. And only because he shuts everyone out. He has major trust issues because of his despicable parents. And his desire to never burden anyone has literally made him push everyone away that tries. Thankfully there are good people, like Zoe and the McCade family, who don’t know the meaning of no!

I knew that Braden and Sebastian would hit it off as friends if they ever got the chance. They actually remind me of each other in a strange way. They both have have a submissive type personalities, they are very much are attracted to the two alpha male dominate brothers, and they have medical issues that are very real and need close supervision.

I think one of the most endearing and touching scenes was when Gideon explains to Sebastian just what he went through while waiting the long hours while Sebastian was in surgery. Then he recalled how he had sat with Zavier when he watched Braden’s surgery and flatlining during it. Gideon saying “It’s so different watching something like that when it’s the love of your life. I thought I understood how Zavier felt.” Gideon shook his head and closed his eyes. “I didn’t know. I couldn’t know. Not until you were wheeled away from me that day. And all I could think was that same thing could easily happen to you, and maybe you wouldn’t recover like Braden did. That’s all I kept thinking, for six goddamned hours.”

I do have to warn you that there are two very disturbing and brutal scenes in this book. They involve graphic torture and murder. However, they are very much needed to understand that the conditioning and mind set that Gideon has endured to become who he was and what he must overcome to be the man Sebastian, and the McCade family, need him to be.

When I said I was “book drunk” I was literally telling the truth! I started on this book at 9pm, when 8:30 am rolled around the next morning I could no longer hold my eyes open but struggled to put the book down. Three hours of sleep and I was back at it again, barricaded in my room so no one could disturb me. I stayed there until 5:30 that evening. And yes, 525 pages is a lot of reading in less that’s24 hours but I just couldn’t put this book down! It’s that great!!! As a matter of fact, I guarantee that this book will be on my Book of the Year list, because it was that amazing! Then I take in the fact that this is only the third book by this brilliant new author and it floors me. She is so full of talent that it just astounds me! THIS IS A MUST-READ BOOK! If you don’t have time for any other book this year then this is the one you should choose! This is one of those moments when I wish you could give an extra heart because this book deserves it in my opinion.

This book was provided free in exchange for a fair and honest review for Love Bytes. Go there to check out other reviews, author interviews, and all those awesome giveaways. Click below.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 145 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.