Start by marking “Bruised Hibiscus” as Want to Read:
Bruised Hibiscus

Bruised Hibiscus

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When a fisherman pulls the body of a white woman from the sea onto the island of Trinidad, the assumed motivation for the murder is "man-woman business." As the news spreads, the rage that surfaces - born of generations of colonialism, sexual oppression, and class disparity - is the catalyst for the reunion of two childhood friends.

Rosa and Zuela were inseparable for the s
Published April 4th 2000 by Seal Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Bruised Hibiscus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruised Hibiscus

Ryan Mishap
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-novels
There are many books that contain gross amounts and kinds of violence against women, and for many of them, this is the main reason they were written and the main reason some people read them. There are other books, though, which contain enough shocking debasement and brutalisation of people--mainly wimmin--to match these but stand against the misogyny they describe. What's the difference? A book of fiction from a reality that doesn't deny a character their humanity; doesn't let go of compassion ...more
Joanne
While I wasn't a total fan of Ms. Nunez's writing style, the story of Bruised Hibiscus was captivating. Although the story grabs you, it is certainly not a happy story. The reason I rated it so highly is because I can't hate characters so vehemently if the story is horrible. And, hate them I did. I found most of the characters just awful. Until the very end, there are very few redeeming traits in any of the characters and I found that awfully unbelievable. In a story with so many characters, I j ...more
Cyndi
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The story itself is well done and interesting but the writing style is very difficult. Two themes in the book are opium addiction and the incomplete understanding a child has of adult affairs. Pretty much all the prose comes across as under the fog of one of these states. It's fine to give a sense of what that's like, but not to the point of confusing your reader so much they can't figure out what is happening.
Bronwyn Hegarty
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished and what a read. The story is very black (not a pun) and weaves two womens' lives together around the murder of a woman washed up on a Trinidad beach. It deals with the sexual abuse that both Rosa and Zuela have experienced in their lives. Rosa while married to a black Trinidadian man and Zuela from when she was taken from her family by a Chinese immigrant when 11 years old. A riveting story from start to finish.
Bonnie
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book personalizes the ugly racial struggle and hatred between "whites" and "coloreds---which includes Indians and Chinese" in Trinidad. Rosa and Zuela, the main characters, are appealing and represent more than just two aspects of the divide. The writing is spellbinding, though the author's message about the damage of inadequate mothering seems overly stressed, even though I tend to agree with it. The ending is both painfully sad and wonderfully happy.
Nicole Tahsildar
Karen
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lfpc
Ms. Nunez's prose was of course beautiful and she creates a vivid picture of her native Trinidad that makes me want more... However, I couldn't give it 5 stars because I hated, hated, hated the ending. I almost stopped reading after chapter 19. I know the world can sometimes be a brutal and dangerous place for young women but this just felt a bit gratuitous to me.
Audrey
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for Caribbean Romances. Nunez's writing is magnificently beautiful but not cheesy. This is not a love story, in case you think that's what my class is about. It's about violence and hatred and grudges, and kind of where these things could have come from in the DR.
Belicia
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading about the struggles of two women in trinadad and how they overcame them! Exelent book!!
Evna
this was fire
Cindy
Jan 11, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
slow start, kind of confusing but intense subject matter. Getting better...
Sandra Mccall
May 30, 2013
Dlmrose
May 28, 2012
Wendy
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2011
Aug 13, 2012
Rudo Rudo
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Who Slashed Celanire's Throat?
  • He Drown She in the Sea
  • Virgin Soul
  • The Fisher King: A Novel
  • Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers
  • The Fruit of the Tree
  • To 'Joy My Freedom: Southern Black Women's Lives and Labors After the Civil War
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • Unburnable
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
Elizabeth Nunez is the award-winning author of multiple titles, the latest of which is her novel Even in Paradise. Her novels Boundaries and Anna In-Between were New York Times Editors’ Choices. Anna In-Between won the 2010 PEN Oakland/Josephine Miles Award and was long-listed for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. Nunez also received the 2015 Hurston/Wright Legacy Award in nonfiction f ...more
More about Elizabeth Nunez...