Start by marking “Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)

Eldest

(The Inheritance Cycle #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  405,101 ratings  ·  10,621 reviews
Darkness falls... Swords clash... Evil reigns.

Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesméra, land of the elves, for further training in magic and swordsmanship, the vital skills of the Dragon Rider. It is the journey of a lifetime, fill
Hardcover, First Edition, 681 pages
Published August 23rd 2005 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Eldest, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Tomáš Lukáč
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Serena I would pick up the book from the library and write it out so you know it's right.…moreI would pick up the book from the library and write it out so you know it's right.(less)

·  405,101 ratings  ·  10,621 reviews

Start your review of Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
Miranda Reads
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Honestly, this book fueled 90% of my dragon-obsession over middle school.

(How obsessed you ask? Tshirts, posters, movies, figurines - if you could slap a dragon on it, I bought it (really not kidding)).

This series will always hold a special place in my heart.
description
Eragon, having survived the great battle, is saddled with a completely unexpected consequence - the Shade's Curse.

He and Saphira are sent to the hidden lands of the elves, Ellesmera, to learn the secrets of the Dragon Riders. Bu
Swankivy
Aug 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mita
Aug 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007, fantasy
I hate Eragon, but I was intrigued to see if Paolini has improved, so I borrowed this book and attempted to read it.

I hate Eragon. I hate Eldest even more.

If Eragon is bad, it at least had a semblance of a traditional plot - the introduction, the buildup, the climax, and the teaser for the next chapter of the journey.

Eldest started off with a flat summary, then it went straight into a continuation from the previous story, and around 600 pages of exposition full of step-by-step miniscule details
Ahmad Sharabiani
Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle #2), Christopher Paolini

Eldest is the second novel in the Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher James Paolini American author, and is the sequel to the Eragon.

Eldest was first published in hardcover on August 23, 2005, and was released in paperback in September 2006.

Eldest begins following several important events in Eragon. The story is the continued adventures of Eragon, and his dragon Saphira, centering on their journey to the realm of the Elves, in order to furth
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fantasy
Do Elves have pubic hair? Are Orc marriages performed with ceremonies? What is the life cycle of the giant birds the Nazgul ride? If questions like these have haunted you ever since you delved into the world of fantasy, look no further for your answers!

Eldest continues the saga started in Eragon by sending our plucky hero into the land of the Elves in order to complete his training as a Rider. There, we learn absolutely everything you (n)ever wanted to know about the Elves (think of it as though
Ben Alderson
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow for the first half but really picked up and actually got very very good!

All the twists and turns introduced have boggled my mind... time to move onto book three...
Anish Kohli
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
“The world is stretched thin, Eragon. Soon it will snap and madness will burst forth. What you feel is what we dragons feel and what the elves feel—the inexorable march of grim fate as the end of our age approaches. Weep for those who will die in the chaos that shall consume Alagaësia. And hope that we may win a brighter future by the strength of your sword and shield and my fangs and talons.”
Well that was some ride! Amazing! First off thanks to my BR partners, Her Purpleness and Her Pinkyn
James Trevino
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the adventure continueeees!!!

Now let me tell you (gosh, I feel like a mother or father here about to teach their children :)): if you are an YA lover or a high fantasy lover you will like this one a lot. I know there's been a lot of talk regarding what should or shouldn't be included in the YA genre, but I think this fits there. Granted, in my opinion, this genre is made of two classes: the old YA and the new YA. And even if some may get upset, the old YA is much much much better than this n
Trina (Between Chapters)
4.5 stars!

Truly, I have nothing bad to say about this book. I liked every moment, was engaged, kept finding myself excited about the story. It did many fantasy elements well. I enjoyed the training portions, the shocking revelations, the magic system, seeing young love through a male protagonist's POV, and the fact that injury and disability in heroes during wartime was something that was represented. And DRAGONS. The dragon/rider relationship is my favorite part of this series.

Even though I enj
Eric
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok thank you for continuing on from my Eragon review. Now remember step one from the last review yea ok we'll call it Step 5: Go to the store and buy Eldest...Ok now follow these steps. Step 6: I hope you've learned from your previous mistakes and set nonperishable snack foods withing reach as to keep reading while eating. Now get an empty 2 littter bottle don't worry..you'll figure it out. Finally get a drink that is pretty good a room temperature or if you just really like cold drinks be sure ...more
Kai Spellmeier
“Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.”

Eldest was overall better than Eragon. Especially because most of this book took place in Du Weldenvarden, the place where the Elves live and where Eragon receives his training. Here, I didn't have to worry about impending doom, death and traitors at every corner.
The annoying part, however, was Roran's chapters. Honestly, who cares about Eragon 2.0 minus dragon and superpowe
Orient
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful BR with my Heartsister Pinky and my favorite gentleman Sir Grumpy! What an excellent ride with Saphy 💜💜💜💜💜💜
✨ A ✨
Re-Read

SPOILERS FOR ERAGON (book 1) BELOW ⤵

We pick up exactly where book one left off. Eragon and Saphira have helped the Varden defeat the army of Urgal, where he was badly injured in his battle with Durza.

Eragon and Saphira are then sent to Ellesméra to receive their full Dragon Rider training with the elves and to perhaps find a way to heal himself from the wound Durza left him with.

Miles away, Roran has struggles of his own. Even though Eragon left Palancar Valley to protect the people of
Alena
Jan 31, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell
This second installment in the Inheritance Cycle was extremely surprising for me. I find it hard to be surprised by most book endings, and this one had a twist that I was not looking for, so when it jumped out at me, I was almost knocked out of my chair with shock. This book goes much deeper into the world of Alagaesia, its myths and history, and the characters become much more complex. I felt for Eragon as his attempts at romance are spurned, and watched carefully as his bond with Saphira deepe ...more
Allison
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi_fantasy
I was very pleasantly surprised - Eldest laughs in the face of the so-called sophomore-slump curse.

While I liked Eragon enough to give it five stars despite the weird feeling that it was a mediation between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, it was kind of slim in several places, character- and plot-wise.

Not so in Eldest. Finally, some real meat to the relationships between characters, the government of Alagaesia, and the drive toward battle. My empathy was tested every time I was irritated ov
Jeff
Alright. Eragon was a great book. I mean GREAT. There was suspense, action, and a possible romance.
But this book just completely screwed everything up with the boring dialogue and the action less pages.

Yes, this is a very unpopular opinion, so no hate, ok?? :)
So as a person who was obsessed with this series at the time, I fortunately finished the book. Unfortunately, what exactly was this book about??

1.Eragon was a hopeless, romantic ditz that kept running after Arya. Like, dude, nobody wants to
Amber J
“We are about to change history, said Saphira.
We’re throwing ourselves off a cliff without knowing how deep the water below is.
Ah, but what a glorious flight!
(Eragon to Saphira)”
― Christopher Paolini, Eldest

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

In the second book of The Inheritance Cycle series. The battle is won and the Shade is dead, but i

Sabrina
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Remember what I said about the first book in this series? How it shows promise, is an interesting take, blah blah? Yeah, forget it all.

This was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever read. All of the promise and interest in the first story disappeared into a foul-smelling vapor within the first 2 chapters.

The author has obviously forgotten the character parameters he set for his own characters, namely Eragon. This story takes place at most 6-9 months after the end of the first book, in w
Sean
Sep 24, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is crap. Paolini ditched almost all of Eragon's potential, spending his time in the land of elves who are smarter, more gorgeous, wiser, stronger, faster, longer-lived, better at magic, more hygenic, more tasteful, better at art, music, metalworking, and just generally better in every way than those poor, lowly humans. And. . .every man jack and woman girl of them is an atheist vegetarian! Yes, Paolini takes some clumsy but pervasive swipes against religion, demonstrating that he really doe ...more
Kenchiin
(Most of) the negative critics out there are true, but this doesn't make the story any less enjoyable.
Crystal Starr Light
The writings of Eragon are the lamentations of readers...

NOTE: I listened to this on audiobook, so espect to find the names and places probably hideously misspelled. I would make an effort to correct the spelling if I cared.

Eragon and the Vardan have defeated Galbatorix’s forces at Farthen Dur. But Eragon’s journey has only begun. He must now travel to Ellesmera to learn the ways of the dragon riders from the Elves. Meanwhile, his cousin, Roran, must defend his home of Carvahall from the Raz’ac.
Lawrancel
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Eldest Book Review”
The book Eldest by Christopher Paolini is a book about a dragon and his rider. The two, intertwined by the magic of thought, journey through the land to Ellemera to study the arts of magic as he prepares to face off against the belligerent tyrant Galbatorix.
The book had many interesting twists and turns. Eragon, the rider, has always thought to be the last rider, excluding the king and his evil riders, know as the foresworn. But suddenly, Ormoris, an Elvin rider appears to
Jeffrey Caston
Jul 24, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
”Power without moral direction is the most dangerous force in the world.”

I am sticking with the audio version. I am still liking it a lot, despite a few little, very minor, misgivings.

I liked the parallel stories between Eragon and his cousin, Rorin. Rorin is left in Eragon’s old village and it was interesting to me to see what was going on after Eragon left “with the stone,” seemingly high and dry and subjecting the village to vicious oppressors. I liked Rorin’s growth as (view spoiler)
Michael
My rating for this is 3.5-stars.

This was a perfectly good book but it just didn't capture my attention in the same way that book 1 did; as you can probably gather by how long it has taken me to finish reading it.

I felt that this book was rather too long and drawn out, and I had begun to notice a great many ideas borrowed from other greats from the fantasy genre. That's quite hard to avoid doing these days, there are so many good fantasy authors out there.

I'm not a fan of authors who create the
Sheila G
This full review can be viewed on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

Buddy read with Maks
Understanding begets empathy and compassion, even for the meanest beggar in the meanest city of Alagaësia.

The battle against Galbatorix' army in the dwarvan mountain realm was only the cusp of the war looming ahead. Now that Eragon and Saphira's presence is becoming known across Alagaësia, enemies arise at every turn.

Strategy, politics, and duty threaten to delay Eragon's much n
Vikas
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover, nbtr, owned
The second book in the Inheritance series and again full of magic and adventure, more dragons, and more action everything better.

Reread

So I am re-reading the entire Inheritance cycle and I am glad for it because in more than 10 years since I read this series originally I had forgotten almost everything about it. Rereading this series is so much fun that I was able to read this 700+ pages book in little more than 3 days and that too with job and youtube and all. So while Eragon was yes derivativ
Dave
Sep 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was half expecting Eldest to be an improvement for Paolini, but what I expect never seems to be what I get.

Eldest was lengthy; too lengthy. What were easily 500 pages of adjective oriented action would have been fine at 30 pages tops. It seems as if Paolini is still aiming his novels towards the pre-teen to teen audience, something that paid off for him after making Eragon. It's a shame that strategy worked again.

Besides the one or two exciting twists and turns, the plot did not impress. The
Colleen Houck
I really enjoyed Roran rising up to become his own man and learn all the lessons of being a dragon rider along with Eragon. The level of detail in this story is astounding and it takes a very special kind of writer to not only come up with a story like this but to be able to keep all the different plots moving along smoothly without leaving loose threads that savvy readers could unravel. Bravo!
Phoenix2
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Took me a while to notice that I haven't added this book yet. And overall it wasn't that bad. There were some major twists in it, especially towards the end. And I did love when Eragon was with the elves, though some chapters were too long and boring. Also, I didn't really like the chapters with Eragon's cousin. He's not my favourite character of the books and he kind of irritates me, especially when he blamed Eragon for everything. So, I didn't like his chapters. Plus, there weren't many battle ...more

• Crossroads and the Himalayan Crystals (Crossroads, #1)
  • Furyborn (Empirium, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky and Sea, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Crush (Crave, #2)
  • Once Upon a Broken Heart (Once Upon a Broken Heart, #1)
  • The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
See top shelves…
Christopher Paolini was born in Southern California and has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana. He published his first novel, Eragon, in 2003 at the age of nineteen, and quickly became a publishing phenomenon. His Inheritance Cycle—Eragon and its three sequels—have sold nearly 40 million copies worldwide. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is his first adult novel.

Visit Paolini.net for

The Inheritance Cycle (4 books)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)