Start by marking “Rhino in the House: The Story of Saving Samia” as Want to Read:
Rhino in the House: The Story of Saving Samia

Rhino in the House: The Story of Saving Samia

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
From the award-winning author of the bestselling Library Mouse series comes a biographical picture book about the true story of rhino champion Anna Merz and the black rhinoceros Samia. With a portion of the proceeds being donated to the Lewa Downs Conservancy, this engaging story is perfect for animal lovers, animal rights enthusiasts, and fans of Me . . . Jane.

When Ann
Published March 14th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Rhino in the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhino in the House

KC
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anna Mertz and animal conservation.
Gary Anderson
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this picture book is nothing short of adorable. Naturalist Anna Merz sought to protect endangered African animal species. As she works at an animal sanctuary, she discovers a baby rhino abandoned by her mother. So, she takes her home, nurses her to health, pampers her, and names her Samia. Samia behaves like a fine dog, following Anna and showing her affection and attention. But rhinos grow beyond the practical limits of most houses. That doesn’t stop Samia though. She visits Anna’s house ...more
Elaine
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Biased opinion because I love rhinos. That being said, I love this book! I wish people would stop taking from nature and instead live with nature. Working together, we can survive.

The review I posted to the Facebook page of the library I work at is as follows: Miss Elaineous LOVES rhinos, so this book sits near to her heart! Rhinos, like many other of nature's creatures, are on the brink of extinction. This book tells the story of Anna Merz's care for a baby rhinoceros, Samia, when it is rejecte
Kristin
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, childrens
A sweet short non-fiction account of the woman who founded the Lewa conservation site in Kenya, and the baby black rhino who became her friend and changed the way scientists look at the species. It's quick, with fun illustrations, and has a great four-page explanatory note at the end with more info about Anna Mertz and the current conservation efforts at Lewa Downs. And 25% of the proceeds from the book go to the foundation. 10/10 for books about saving endangered species!
Mary Lee
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The true story of Anna Merz, who was involved in rhino conservation, and raised an abandoned baby black rhino...in her house! (at least to start with!!)

Review coming at A Year of Reading because I may or may not have a (quite a) few rhinos in my house!!
Educateempower
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the things I love about picture books is that they can bring real life stories to young readers all around the world through pictures and simple words.

IMG_5203 2

Rhino in the House by Daniel Kirk is an empowering story about a women named Anna Merz and her lifelong dedication to saving endangered animals in Africa. Anna had always been involved in wildlife conservation and it was when she retired and moved to Kenya that her journey into saving Rhinoceroses began.

The relationship between a
Maria Marshall
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The image of Samia on the cover caught my attention immediately and I fell in love with her personality and story. Being an avid environmentalist, I admire Anna Merz's dedication and love for African animals. Daniel did an excellent job of bringing kids into the trials and joys of raising an orphaned rhino calf.
At three, young Samia still liked to wander into Anna's house. Though this often resulted in her eating Anna's hat, interrupting a bath, or getting wedged in a doorway. By the time she w
Jana
This wonderful nonfiction picture book tells readers the true story of Anna Merz and the black rhino that she rescued and raised at her wildlife sanctuary in Kenya. Samia wasn't being cared for by its mother, so she brought it home with her and took care of it until it was too big to hang around the house with her. This would be a great companion book to Moto and Me: My Year as a Wildcat's Foster Mom by Suzi Eszterhas as they both involve fostering wild animals with the goal of returning them to ...more
Guinevere
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amy
What a nice story about Anna Merz who raised a baby black rhino that had been abandoned by its mother. Samia's antics and love for Anna make this book a great choice for kids who love wildlife. 25% of the royalties from the book go right back to a wildlife conservancy project. Illustrations in warm, bright colors are based on the author/illustrator's trip to Kenya to see where Anna and Samia lived in Lewa Downs.
Jeimy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of Anna Merz, but she is my latest shero! This picture book chronicles how she rescued a baby black rhino and the bond that develops between them.

This book will have a home in my classroom library alongside other remarkable tales such as “Koko and Her Kitten” and “Owen and Mzee.”
Alice
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75 Stars Samia is quite the Rhino! I loved the pictures and the story. It is always great when an author is so passionate about her cause that they donate some of the proceeds to the book to Rhino conservation!
I thought this book was cute. Is cute enough to be an award winner... I don't think so but I enjoyed it and it was a fun read!
Gail
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book about endangered animal conservation and the beauty of the human-animal bond. The illustrations are spectacular. Anna Merz and Samia, the rhino, and their story is a great one to share with children.
Kelly
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, animals, nonfiction
Did anyone else think rhino in the hoooooooooouuuuse!? Like make you want to raise the roof?

Anyway, I think this is Daniel Kirk's best book. It was very clear that his heart and soul was poured into this one.
Alice
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful account of conservation
Maija
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book to talk about the power of conservancy and caring about animals! I would pair it with "Me...Jane".
Allison
Wow! Another amazing woman who change the world for the better.
Rachel
Nice story with an ecological message and fun illustrations.
Pam  Page
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Based on a story about Anna Merz (created a sanctuary for wild animals in Kenya) who really saved a baby rhino. The front endpapers sold me before I even started reading.
Becky
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great story of preservation. My 9 year old loved it too!
Karen
Beautiful story about caring for what is wild and endangered.
Pamela Powell
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
The illustrations in this story of Anna Merz who founded a conservancy in Africa to protect rhinos are spectacular! The story itself is well-told.
Lisa D
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book about saving animals from poaching! You can tell the research done on this one! Amazing illustrations! Loved it!!
Ann
True story of Anna Merz who set up a rhino sanctuary in Kenya. This is the story of a rhino baby that she raised from a baby. Gorgeous pictures and a good story about animal conservation.
Edward Sullivan
A lively, appealing true story about animal welfare and conservation.
Audra Rowell