Start by marking “The Art of War: The Essential Translation of the Classic Book of Life” as Want to Read:
The Art of War: The Essential Translation of the Classic Book of Life

Read Book* *Different edition

The Art of War: The Essential Translation of the Classic Book of Life

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  209,604 Ratings  ·  6,541 Reviews
For more than two thousand years, The Art of War has stood as a cornerstone of Chinese culture, revealing as much about psychology, politics, and economics as it does about battlefield strategy.
Audio, 7 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published -500)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of War, please sign up.

Dongyi Zhang 'The Art of War' and 'Book of Five Rings' are newly illustrated and available for a good read by/on Stela Unlimited, which is a mobile app offering…more'The Art of War' and 'Book of Five Rings' are newly illustrated and available for a good read by/on Stela Unlimited, which is a mobile app offering illustrated books, comics and graphic novels for readers. A sample of the Art of War : https://www.stela.com/series/4d129f91...(less)
Jang Uree I was watching a historical korean drama called (Empress ki) which talks a bout a chinese emperor of yuan Dynasty who falls in love with a korean…moreI was watching a historical korean drama called (Empress ki) which talks a bout a chinese emperor of yuan Dynasty who falls in love with a korean slave who will turn into the last empress of the yuan dynasty .. and for her to be able to live in the palace she read "the Art of war" (less)

Anne
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey! Look at me stepping outside my comfort zone!

description

I saw this audiobook in the library, and I thought it looked interesting.
Hell, I've got 4 kids. This could come in handy.
Next year I'll have not one, but two teenage boys. I need to prepare myself to defend my babies home from the invading whores hoards. I figured this book would help me gird my loins (or whatever it is you do) when you head into battle.
Back off, Skanks! You're not getting past the front door!

description

Still, even teenage boys pale in compa
Petra Eggs
Simply put, Sun Tzu says that it is better not to fight than to be involved in a conflict, but if you are going to have to fight, then you have to do it to win, and these are the various strategies, often brutal, that will get you that result.

Niccolò Machiavelli, in The Prince says if you are in a position of power and seek to maintain it, it is better to be loved and respected, but if you can't achieve that, then at least enforce respect and these are the, often brutal, strategies that will get
Bill Paxton
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book... Pretty amazing insights. What I really loved is the fact that much of the insights can be used in today's fiercely competitive corporate scenarios as well. Must read! I bought this book at special price from here:
Alejandro
The wise warrior avoids the battle.

I can't think in a better quote to begin this review.

Sometimes, reading books about war tactics or novels of the genre of war, is confused with glorify wars, destruction, death and all sad things that are results of a war. But, at least, in my case (I can't speak for others) it's not that. I don't glorify war. One of my favorite historical subjects is World War II, but it's not because an insane instinct of glorify war. I just support the concept that any per
Michelle
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was on the "Surprise Yourself" stack at the library. It was a choice between "Fifty Shades of Grey" and "The Art of War". I took the latter even if I think I'm more of a lover than a fighter. Besides, the stack was on the front desk, choosing the former is kinda awkward. I am quite surprised I finished this book. I felt like I subjected myself to study even if I'm not required to do so. It's actually quite entertaining, more so that I know that there won't be a test later.
Despite the title
Sporkurai
May 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: morons or tacticians
Evidently, it seems, for the last couple thousand years, EVERYONE has been using the same textbook on how to conduct a war. It also seems to be that nobody even knows for sure who wrote the book or when, but everyone uses it anyway. Included in this book are precious reminders that strategy helps you win, retreating helps you not die, if you outnumber the enemy 5 to 1, attacking would probably be a good idea, and also if you're a tiny country surrounded by powerful countries, it might be time to ...more
Alex Farrand
I listened to The Art of War for a few reasons; 1) It was only a hour long, 2) It was free because I am an Amazon Prime member, 3) It was narrated by Aiden Gillen, also known as Petyr Baelish, aka Littlefinger. So, I jumped into it, and listened to it during a car ride.

The Art of War is a well versed, and short guide book to strategize, and tactically win a war. There were tons of great advice, and still relatable today. I would go even deeper that it doesn't entirely reflect on physical warfare
Dannii Elle
If anyone is looking for a war general I am available and well versed in war tactics due to this book. Hook me up.
Tom Marotta
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: all
So many little wars must be waged daily. Works on the battlefield and the office.

CLASSICS:

"When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move."

"In conflict, straightforward actions generally lead to engagement, surprising actions generally lead to victory."

"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril. When you are igno
Ahmed H. Mansour
It is hard to speculate that this book has been written for one single era...When you read it you realise it meant to stay and teach all the humanity, a book that needs to be taught in schools, teaching kids how to THINK....How it is SIMPLE to THINK....Now THAT`S somthing they don`t usually teach us to know when we are nothing but small lads....Such a damn complicate world :(

Here`s a small taste of what you may find in this small book :)
-----------------------
- According as circumstances are fav
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Frankly, I got tired of my husband quoting this and having no idea what he was talking about. So, Heidi-the-Hippie/Librarian picked up The Art of War. I must love him a great deal because this was so not my thing though I valiantly struggled my way through it. I'd say about three quarters of the book was commentary and translation quibbles on the text itself, which is really rather brief and kind of pretty in a "this is how you kill a bunch of people" sort of way.

My big take-aways from this were
Colleen
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Imperial Chinese military strategies.
While Sun Tzu is constantly praised for his work on The Art of War, I find it hard to believe that it has inspired anyone. This famous military strategy book has provided people such as Napoleon and the cast of 'Survivor: China' advice on handling the opposing force. However, despite the simple (yet adequate) translation that Lionel Giles provided, The Art of War does nothing more than to reiterate common sense. Sun Tzu asks the audience to not show off their strong points, but to lead the enemy ...more
Marvin
My wife says watching me read The Art of War is like watching Danny DeVito read The Joy of Sex. I'm not sure how to take that.

Bottom line, I'm a lover not a fighter. I started this because I know that many people love this work and say they get a lot out of it. But it became clear to me after quite a few pages that The Art of War really is about fighting a war no matter what other people might interpret it to be. So I'm not interested.

Besides the two things I need to know about fighting I learne
Riku Sayuj

Quick Demo: On Ruining a Classic Text

Kaufman (author more than translator, I feel) boasts: In this work you will learn how people are to be treated and dealt with. The work was written for men in command and leaders of states. It is for the ambitious and strong spirited; do not seek morality lessons here.

Sun Tzu has been translated and interpreted countless times by people with little knowledge of true combat reality on either the physical or mental level.

Most of the available translations and i
Araz Goran
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

" الكـتاب المـقـدس للـدراسـات العـسكـرية "

خمسة وعشرون قرناً من الزمان ولا يزال كتاب " فن الحرب " من أهم وافضل الكتب الحربية والعسكرية ومازال من ضمن قائمة أهم مائة كتاب في التاريخ..

سن أتزو جعل من الحرب فناً ،خدعة ودهاء.. تعليمات عسكرية صارمة وتكتيكات عبقرية وخطط ماكرة واقعية فذة، تفكير في أدق تفاصيل شؤون الحرب وإغتنام كافة السبل و الفرص المؤدية إلى النصر المؤزر في أي معركة بكيفية واقعية لا تخرج عن نطاق الممكن..

قد لا يهمه عدد الجنود في داخل المعركة ولا قوة العدو ولا نوع الأسلحة ولا التضاريس الت
Roy Lotz
The Art of Goodreads

1. Lotz says: The greatest books are the ones you never have to read, and the greatest words are the ones you never have to speak. Likewise, the greatest book reviews are the ones you never have to write.

2. There are five types of books: (1) Ones I have read. (2) Ones I have not read. (3-5) It's complicated.

3. To begin a book, find its weakest point. This is commonly the first page.

4. Do not turn the page too slowly, as you will make it greasy; do not turn it too quickly, a
Bookdragon Sean
We all know one person who has an answer for everything. This person is usually annoying and won’t accept that sometimes they’re just wrong; they won’t accept that at some point their logic may fail them and run dry; they’re completely resolute in what they believe and they just won’t budge from it: they simply can’t be proven wrong or at fault. This is how I feel about Sun Tzu. It’s like he interpreted questions and doubts before they were born, and countered them with his own logic based respo ...more
Alice Poon
I read the Chinese version with English translation. I was most impressed with this observation: that winning every war is not the best scenario; the most ideal scenario is where one manages to repel an enemy without fighting. The other theory I found convincing is that a shrewd fighter would choose his men wisely and would know how to ride the prevailing situation. Most of the contents would seem to be practical common sense.

The keynote of the first chapter ~ all warfare is based on deception ~
Lily
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever picked up a self-help book where the author is repeatedly stating the obvious, then you've experienced the writing style of this book. The overall concepts could've been summarized in a short essay rather than a book. Its length is a testament to its antiquity, though the author has done a noble job of re-ordering and editing bits of the chapters to provide continuity and to delete repetition.

Oriental philosophy is often ripe with a kind of double-speak and this book is no excepti
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sūnzǐ Bīngfǎ=Sun Tzu The Art of War, Sun Tzu
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: شانزدهم آگوست سال 1995 میلادی
عنوان: هنر جنگ؛ اثر: سون دزو؛ حسن حبیبی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، انتشارات قلم، 1364، در ؟؟ ص، موضوع: علوم نشامی، جنگ و جنگاوری، فن جنگ متون قدیمی قرن ششم پیش از میلاد
عنوان: هنر جنگ؛ اثر: سون دزو؛ بازنویسی: جیمز کلاول؛ مترجم: آیدا دریائیان؛ به اهتمام: سعید پورداخلی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، موسسه فرهنگی هنری بشیر علم و ادب، 1380، در 93 ص، شابک: 9646818811؛
عنوان: هنر جنگاوری؛ اثر: سون دزو؛ مترجم: علی کردستی؛ مشخصات
J.L.   Sutton
Understanding the ground you're standing on (strategically) is a paramount concern of Sun Tzu's treatise on The Art of War. This ground (and the moves and countermoves you can make from it) can be interpreted not just as advice on combat, but also on business and relationships. This is book I've known about for a long time. So I'm glad I got to read it, but I'm not sure it inspired me to action or to think differently about the world. Maybe that will come later.
Reading Corner
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I really enjoyed reading this, it was really interesting and insightful. I know I'll definitely be reading this again!
Foad
یک فرمانده ی بزرگ نظامی، پانصد سال قبل از میلاد مسیح، کتابی اعجاب انگیز و ستودنی در مورد شیوه های فرماندهی لشکر می نویسد که تا سال های سال، در کشورهای شرق دور به عنوان دستور راه فرماندهان جنگ استفاده می شده. هم اکنون این کتاب در لیست کتاب های پیشنهادی ارتش امریکا برای دانشگاه های افسری و نظامی است.

این کتاب، درست در مقابل هاگاکوره: کتاب سامورایی قرار می گیرد.

هاگاکوره، کتابی سامورایی، یاد می دهد که چطور از شکست و مرگ نهراسید و اهدافی والاتر از سودهای دنیوی و عقل حسابگر داشته باشید: به فکر شجاعت ب
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این کتاب قرن هاست که به عنوان یکی از برترین کتبِ ادبیاتِ نظامی، موردِ بررسی قرار گرفته است و صدها هزار سرباز و مورخِ چینی و ژاپنی به این کتاب که در میانِ آثارِ کلاسیکِ هنرِ جنگ، نخستین اثر محسوب میشود، توجه تمام داشته اند
از دیدگاهِ «سون تزو»، جنگ برایِ هر دولتی واجدِ شرایطِ حیاتی است، بنابراین مطالعه و تحلیلِ آن ضرورت دارد... او کوشیده تا راهبری عملیاتی نظامی و جنگی را بر بنیادی عقلانی استوار سازد و هدفش استفادهٔ سردارانی میباشد که خردمندانه در پیِ جنگی پیروزمندانه میباشند... به
Diamond Cowboy
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Art of War was written around 500 BC by a man of amazing stragedy named Sun Tzu. It was written on very thin strips of bamboo and pain stakenly sewed together. This volume describes the strgedies to create a very successful life, win in battles and relationships. This book has been used through the ages as a guide in battles. It is the cor coriculum in many war colleges including West Point. Sun Tzu successfully predicted the outcome of the battle of Getiesberg, and the Vietnam war. I recomm ...more
Ahmed Oraby
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
إذا أردت الحرب فعليك بإعداد السلاح، إذا أردت النصر - يا رب النصر لمصر بجد - فعليك بالتخطيط، وإذا أردت الأكل فقوم اعمل فطارك يا حيوان
وإن كان حبيبك عسل متلحسوش كله
Huda Aweys
My review in English first then in Arabic - مراجعة بالانجليزية يليها مراجعة بالعربية
The arts of war, a new field i did not read in it before, sometimes I felt that I am reading a plan of offensive football team ! And at other times i felt like I am reading women's plan to provoke its neighbor! :) It is comprehensive book about the wars that we face in our lives in general;>
*****
تلك اول مرة أقرأ فيها عن ذلك النوع من الفنون ! شعرت أحيانا و كأننى اقرأ خطة هجومية لفريق كرة قدم ! و احيانا اخرى و ك
Mahdi Lotfi
2500 سال پیش مردی به نام “سان تزو” تصمیم میگیرد تمام تعالیم جنگی اش را مکتوب کند. او کتابی مینویسد و به پادشاه وقت پیشکش میکند و نام اش را “هنر جنگ” مینامد و این کتاب تبدیل به کتاب شماره یک تاریخی در حوزه جنگاوری دنیا میشود که حتی در حوزه موفقیت, کسب و کار و تجارت نیز بسط داده میشود…
کتاب هنر جنگ یک کتاب کوچک و ساده با 13 فصل است. در هر فصلی استراتژی و تاکتیک های جنگی گنجانده شده است که باید فرمانده نیروی زمینی از آن پیروی کند تا بر دشمن پیروز شود. این کتاب برای اولین بار از چینی به فرانسوی ترجمه
Ahmed Abdelhamid
مراجعة كتاب صن تسو كاملة...
كتبت تعليقا كلما سمحت الفرصة بالتوازي مع المراجعة.
----
للتذكير:
الكتاب عبارة عن مجموعة من الحكم و النصائح المباشرة، يسقطها البعض بالأساس على العلوم الاستراتيجية الحربية كأحد الكتب الكلاسيكية في فن الحرب. ولكن أيضا يعتبر مرجعا رئيسا لكتب الإدارة و القيادة بشكل عام. البعض يسقط النصائح نفسها على “التجارة”.

لماذا الكتاب مهم؟

كما أسلفنا، قيل أن أمريكا اعتمدت خططا منه في حرب عاصفة الصحراء، و اعتمده الفيتناميين في حربهم ضد امريكا، و اعتمده الإسرائيليين في حروب كثيرة مع العرب، و
Ezgi Tülü
Bunu sonunda bitirdiğime inanabiliyor musunuz? Ben inanamıyorum. En sonunda dnf olarak işaretlemek durumunda kalacağımı düşünmüştüm. Kitabın yarısının altını çizmiş olabilirim, emin değilim.

Okumam neden bu kadar uzun sürdü bilmiyorum gerçekten, oysa bunu beraber okumayı umduğum arkadaşım bir günde bitirmişti.
CÁCH BỐ TRÍ NỘI THẤT CHUNG CƯ 70M2 ĐẸP NHẤT 1 1 Jul 05, 2017 08:21PM
Dissertation Structures 1 2 Jun 20, 2017 02:00AM
Dissertation Structure 1 2 Jun 20, 2017 01:59AM
SEO Freelancer 1 2 May 26, 2017 10:57PM
These two fields make a difference 1 2 May 09, 2017 10:58PM
QuickBooks Enterprise Support Phone Number|1-844-202-0909 1 1 Apr 14, 2017 12:50AM
토토사이트주소 →¶©¶ zVz78 .com ¶©¶ ← nice 토토사이트주소 1 2 Mar 21, 2017 06:00AM
  • The Archidamian War
  • The Art of Fiction
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China
  • The Lost Art of War: Recently Discovered Companion to the Bestselling The Art of War
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
  • The Federalist Papers
  • The Art of War
  • Mencius
  • Tao of Jeet Kune Do
  • Strategy
  • Boy Scouts of America : The Official Handbook for Boys (Reprint of Original 1911 Edition)
  • The Analects
Sun Tzu (孫子; pinyin: Sūnzǐ) is a honorific title bestowed upon Sūn Wu (孫武 c. 544-496 BC), the author of The Art of War (孫子兵法), an immensely influential ancient Chinese book on military strategy. Sun Tzu believed in the use of the military sciences to effect outcomes that would result in peace.

In the author's name, Sūn Wu, the character wu, meaning "military", is the same as the character in wu shu
More about Sun Tzu...