Start by marking “Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)

Red Sister

(Book of the Ancestor #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  29,377 ratings  ·  3,527 reviews
The international bestselling author of the Broken Empire and the Red Queen’s War trilogies begins a stunning epic fantasy series about a secretive order of holy warriors...

At the Convent of Sweet Mercy, young girls are raised to be killers. In some few children the old bloods show, gifting rare talents that can be honed to deadly or mystic effect. But even the mistresses
Published April 4th 2017 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Red Sister, please sign up.
chisholm Really what is this obsession with female leads and the automatic go to for the romance. asspect. Really! these girls are like 9 to 13 years old.…moreReally what is this obsession with female leads and the automatic go to for the romance. asspect. Really! these girls are like 9 to 13 years old. Training to be exceptional killer assasins train with the art of warfare hand to hand and weapons you name it. Romance indeed! That's like the last thing the book had in mind. People please pump your brakes and slow your roll and just simply enjoy the story. honestly if you want romance just brake down and get a romance novel. With some age appropriate people is all i'm requesting. this question made me question all females lead rolls in novels do they always have a romantic element? no wonder boys dont read girl leads books. so my question is are all female lead have books with a romantic element?(less)

·  29,377 ratings  ·  3,527 reviews

Start your review of Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I just reread this book again today in preparation for starting book 2, and it is just as good as the first time :)

It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sister Thorn of the Sweet Mercy Convent, Lano Tacsis brought two hundred men.
Man, what a hook.

This is classic Mark Lawrence in that it's extremely violent, unflinchingly bloody, and gives no fucks, which may be bad for anyone who isn't really fond of brutality involving children (seriously, the first ch:)
Mark Lawrence
Jun 28, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Red Sister is $1.99 right now on Amazon.com - a great time to give it a try!

STOP PRESS Red Sister won the judges' vote for best fantasy of 2017 on the Booktubes SFF Awards! See them vote here, from 58:30 onward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwuSH...

-- Red Sister has a new cover! The UK paperback will not share the hardback cover. Revealed below:

STOP
Chaima ✨ شيماء
The experience of reading Red Sister is akin to getting onto the wrong train—the story draws you relentlessly in and you can’t see the journey ahead, much less guess what it holds. An equally daunting and exciting interruption of the mundane. Depending on the reader, you might decline the adventure and choose to disembark at the next stop. Or you could stay, drifting, allow yourself to be jolted out of your habits and see it through ‘til the end.

I’m glad I chose the latter.

“It i/>
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5) I was craving a good fantasy book and this was perfect for it!

School setting, fun magic system, badass nuns?! YES!!

Loved the characters, the world (although I need to know more!), the magic system, the story... I need the second book ASAP!

Totally recommend :D
Rick Riordan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Mark Lawrence's gritty 'grimdark' fantasy novels for a long while now, but I think Red Sister may be my favorite. (Sorry, Prince of Thorns. I still adore you.) Elevator pitch? Okay, it's reductive, but imagine Hogwarts as a nunnery that trains young girls to be assassins. The world of Abeth orbits a slowly dying sun. As a result, most of the world is encased in ice except for an ever-shrinking corridor along the equator, where humanity is squeezed together, fighting for surviv ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Do not mess with these nuns . . .

It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sister Thorn of Sweet Mercy Convent Lano Tacsis brought two hundred men

No child truly believes they will be hanged. Even on the gallows platform with the rope scratching at their wrists and the shadow of the noose upon their face they know that someone will step forward, a mother, a father returned from some long absence, a king dispensing justice . . . someone. Few chi
Petrik
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Coming-of-age fantasy fans
ARC provided by the publisher—Harper Voyager—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

The magic of rereading Red Sister strikes a gold mine.

Other than a few changes or grammatical fix, I rarely rewrite my full review. However, Red Sister merits one because I loved it so much more than my first read; the quality jumped from great to amazing in my criteria. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I decided to reread Red Sister in order to refresh my memory before I continue with the series, I didn’t expect to enjoy it this much and I certainly dreview.
4.5/5
James Tivendale
I received an advanced copy of Red Sister from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I would like to announce my gratitude to Mark Lawrence, Ace and Berkley Publishing Group for this opportunity.

Throughout this narrative, we flaunt within the mind of and follow the actions of Nona. Our protagonist is a young girl who we are introduced to initially whilst she is awaiting execution via the gallows for killing a renowned pit-fighter. Luckily for Nona, it just so happens that Abbess Glass, w
Emily May
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arc, 2017
Ah, this is going to be a hard book to review. I have a lot of mixed feelings about Lawrence's latest work and I'm going to try and organize my thoughts as best I can.

What I love most about Lawrence's writing is the fact he's - to be frank - dramatic as fuck. He knows how to create a nail-biting, bloody, on-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of scene. Red Sister opens with an army coming to kill a nun:
It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size. For Sis/>
Anne
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100% badass from start to finish.

description

When I think of nuns my mind doesn't immediately leap to a group of violent assassins.
Or, at least, it didn't use to.
Now? Well, now perhaps I'll think twice before I try to put the smackdown on a Sister. Who knows what sort of training they've had or weapons they're hiding under those habits?!
You can never be too cautious with those religious types...

100% badass from start to finish.

description

Or, at least, it didn't use to.
You can never be too cautious with those religious types...

description

So, yeah this is basically a story that centers around a little girl with supernatural Wolverine claws who's trying to find her place in the world. She gets sold by her village into slavery, convicted of murder and sentenced to hang, and recruited into the Medival Ninja Nun convent - all by the ripe old age of 9. Make no mistake, this kid is a vicious killer.
And I loved her so much!

description

Ok, I can see why some people might want to compare the convent to Hogwarts, but...no. I mean, yes there are kids being trained in a 'school setting' to use different forms of magic, there are friendships and rivalries, and there is a prophecy about a Chosen One who will save the day.
Yadda, yadda, yadda...
Still. This is not a retelling of Harry Potter and his band of loyal friends.
This is a story about a very dangerous, very bloodthirsty little girl...with a heart of gold.

description

I don't hand out 5 stars very often anymore, but this was a phenomenal book. I'm kind of scared of saying anything about the plot because I'm afraid it might ruin someone else's fun, but I have to mention how much I loved the way Lawrence pulled off those flashforward/flashbacks - whatever you want to call them. They were a brilliant touch that took the reading experience to a whole new level for me.
Highly Recommended!
Melanie
ARC provided by Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review.

“A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one.”

This story surrounds a young girl, given away by her mother and village after a frightful night. Yet, even being given away, our young protagonist, Nona, proves that there will aclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Petros Triantafyllou
It had never crossed my mind that I would read a greater story than that of Kvothe the Arcane. I had never thought it was possible to find a greater character than the Emperor Jorg Ancrath. I had never even slightly considered that there might be a fantasy world out there toppling that of Τhe Final Empire, and most definitely, I had never thought that i could love a book more than The Night Angel. But here we are.

Nona, a young girl of eight, orphaned by her father and abandoned by her mother, is wa
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert!!!: 05Jun18 This is the Audible Daily Deal. If you don't have it pick it up $5.95

I WON!!!!

description

The amazing Mark Lawrence is sending me a signed copy of this. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

I won it and now I've finally read in since Grey Sister comes out shortly. Full Review To Come but NONA is awesome.

I WON!!!!

Emma
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-offer
When I started this I was a bit worried.

Actually, it wasn't the start, the prologue was heart-thuddingly, pulse-poundingly exciting:

That opening sentence... Seriously, could you resist the lure of that dark promise??

Then the first chapter.

No child truly believes they will be hanged.

If I could do that scream emoji on here, picture that. It's the kind of beginning that makes you si/>No
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

First of all, b/c I've already been asked numerous times, YES, this is an entirely new trilogy, unrelated to Lawrence's previous works. So if you tried to read PRINCE OF THORNS and DNFed it b/c you couldn't tolerate that little shit of an MC (I've been assured that he gets better around 40%, but I haven't personally made that determination for myself), now's your chance to give Lawrence another shot.

Second of all, even after reading through it again when I finished the book, I still found the
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 2.5 stars.

Red Sister is a novel which has (rightly so, in my opinion) been dubbed the new Harry Potter for young adults. And, without a doubt, it follows the familiar pattern of children growing up and being trained by wise teachers at a specialized school for youth; the narrative fully embracing the whole coming-of-age and Chosen One mythos for good measure. Our main character’s unfortunate past and current travails chronicled in excruciating detail/>Red
Samantha
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2018
4.5 stars!
☽Luna☾
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review now up!

4/5

"Or burn bright, take up arms, and fight the bitch.”

This ARC was provided by NetGallery in exchange for an honest review. Release date in Australia is 6th of April 2017

I went into Red Sister with apprehension, because I didn't love this authors other series Broken Empire. So automatically knowing this was a YA I thought I'd hate it. However I got it completely wrong, I actually really enjoyed reading this book and it was actually a fantastic coming of age, YA book. I honestly thought Mup!
Philip
4/5/18 re-read in preparation for Grey Sister. I feel like I need to bump up my rating to 4.5ish stars. There is a lot of nuance I didn’t catch (or didn’t remember at least) from my first read. I especially like the science fictional elements of the world building with the corridor and the ship hearts and the focus moon, etc. Really sets it apart from other high fantasy. Very much looking forward to book 2, again with Heather O’Neil as the (fantastic) audiobook narrator.

—————————————————
Elise (TheBookishActress)
my first two reactions to this book were basically
→so it's badass assassin nuns and some of the girls are not straight? bring it on
→I know right i didn't think i'd ever actually get to this either

and I fully admit that this book has a badass beginning:
Nona thought of Raymel Tacsis lying in his father’s halls surrounded by Academy men sweating to keep him from death. Saida was dead - Nona had seen her feet poking beneath the seat in the prison yard, their wrappings sti/>
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
~ 22 April 2018 ~
Started Grey Sister, and even though there was a nice recap to start off with, I just couldn't remember enough of the tiny details of the first book. So, grabbed the first one again and reread done and dusted now. Still awesome.

4.5 Stars!

You remember when you were a tiny little girl and did very bad things and because of that found yourself in a convent being trained as a nun specializing in the deadly arts? Yeah, same thing happens to Nona, the star of this story. ;)

"It is important, when killing a nun, to;)
~
Started
C.G. Drews
Well this was a marvellous conglomeration of all that is stabbtastic and bloody. Although, after reading Prince of Thorns, I actually expected this to be darker than it was! I'll try not to be...disappointed (???) about that so you can maintain the illusion that I am a well-adjusted and normal young human creature who doesn't delight in dark epic fantasy.

(Okay totally lies. I ADORE dark epic fantasy.)

Basically this book has a checklist of all that is awesome:
• assassin nuns who have no chill
• wi/>
Basically ...more
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)

I'm not going to quote the opening lines as literally everyone else has but suffice to sa
Haïfa
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, favorites
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Note: I upgraded my rating to 5 because it's been days since I finished this book and the story, the atmosphere and Nona are still with me. The more I think of this book, the more I love it !

A solid 4.5 stars read !

Red Sister is the first book of Mark Lawrence's new series : The Book of the Ancestor. If you haven't read Mark's other trilogies (The Broken Empire and the Rereview.
Note:
Anthony Ryan
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given the landmark nature of Mark Lawrence’s Broken Empire books comparisons with his latest offering are inevitable. However, I feel ‘Red Sister’ deserves to be considered on its own merits as the start of a completely new series. Via a third person narrative we follow the exploits of village outcast Nona who finds herself rescued from the gallows at a young age to be raised and educated as a nun in service to the Church of the Ancestor. It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise to discover t ...more
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.75 Stars

The beginning was really good. The world-building was pretty solid and the writing was easily digestible. The middle, however...got a little tedious at times and felt a little slow.

Luckily, the ending more than made up for it.

It’s definitely a darker premise (thus the basis of its appeal to me)...But I have to say that sometimes, when the girls were working together to do certain things (example: Zole’s bodyguard...heist) it felt reminiscent of the HP trio and their hijin
TS Chan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by Harper Voyager in exchange for an honest review.

Re-reading Red Sister was a great decision, and it even resulted in a slightly higher rating of 4.5 stars. Not rewriting my review though.

I have read both of Mark Lawrence’s Broken Empire and Red Queen’s War trilogies and appreciated how he tended to write atypical main protagonists. So from a psychopath to a womanising coward, Lawrence surprises again - this time with a young girl being trained into a killer in a convent of badass nuns wit/>Re-reading
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Red Sister surprised me in quite a few ways. I’d heard a lot about this author’s Broken Empire Trilogy, and much of the hearsay led me to believe I wouldn’t enjoy those books because of difficult subject-matter. However, when the author offered me a review copy of Red Sister, I decided to accept it… with reservations.

As it turns out, I didn’t need any. Red Sister was a really good first installment of The Ancestor series. What surprised me the most was how beautiful his writing and c
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, August 1, 2019. Worth grabbing if you like epic fantasy! 4.5 stars.

The Convent of Sweet Mercy is a lot more tart than sweet, and doesn’t offer a lot of mercy to the young girls that the convent's nuns are training in the martial arts and assassination. Still, to young Nona Grey it’s a refuge from powerful men who want her dead for nearly killing the son of one of them, Raymel Tacsis (spoiler alert: he totally deserved it). Abbess Glass sweeps Nona away from the hangman’s noose and

• The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
  • Skyward (Skyward, #1)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Foundryside (Founders, #1)
  • Bloody Rose (The Band, #2)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Hod King (The Books of Babel, #3)
  • Arm of the Sphinx (The Books of Babel, #2)
  • The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
[My new books Holy Sister and One Word Kill + Limited Wish are out now!]

Blog here: http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/

Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/MarkLawrence...

Three-emails-a-year newsletter here:
http://eepurl.com/cimnK1 #Prizes #FreeContent

I'm even on Tumblr!

Pintrest!

& Instagram

Book of the Ancestor (3 books)
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
“A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one. Treat them with respect.” 220 likes
“Your death has not been waiting for your arrival at the appointed hour: it has, for all the years of your life, been racing towards you with the fierce velocity of time's arrow. It cannot be evaded, it cannot be bargained with, deflected or placated. All that is given to you is the choice: meet it with open eyes and peace in your heart, go gentle to your reward. Or burn bright, take up arms, and fight the bitch.” 75 likes