Start by marking “And It Was Good” as Want to Read:

(Genesis #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  355 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Book #1 of The Genesis Trilogy. This special reissue of a classic work of spirituality from the author of A Wrinkle in Time offers life-transforming insights on the rich heritage of the Bible and shows how the characters of this ancient text are relevant for living the good life now. Includes a new reader's guide.

In the first book of her Genesis Trilogy, beloved author Mad
Published May 23rd 2017 by Convergent Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about And It Was Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And It Was Good

Jenny
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll just say two things about this book because my rating says most of it.
One, my dad and I were reading this book together. I read aloud to him. I've read many books to my dad over the years, and my mom overhears me all the time. Never once has she sat down to listen too. Until this book. She actually stopped what she was doing (once my mom is doing something, she, like most moms, is unstoppable) and sat to listen! More than once! Most recently, she had intense mouth surgery and wanted to rest
Elizabeth
This is a very lovely book full of inspiring thoughts from one of my favorite childhood authors. I thank my friend Courtney for giving me this book for Christmas!
Aaron
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truthful account of how L'Engle has struggled with her own faith and Christianity. Not preachy, or even necessarily a book of philosophy, but a book of discovery. A refreshing read.
Rachel Dawson
And it WAS good. I’m still trying to figure out how I really feel about L'Engle— I was not a big fan of A Wrinkle in Time (I know, I know), but I did enjoy this one (even if her random, scattered writing style frustrated me at times) and found much of it resonating with me. This one is an interesting and introspective look at Genesis with many thoughts, retelling, and questions sprinkled throughout. It’s one I couldn’t rush through, but enjoyed coming back to in small doses over the last month.
Aunt Edie
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favorites, faith
Madeleine L'Engle has been a steady presence throughout my life. She was not a perfect person, nor a perfect writer but that does not diminish her impact on my life or her writings on my own opinions and ideas. I prefer my heroes to be honest instead of perfect. And this is a very honest book. It flows from one thought to the next with barely a thread of continuity and yet it all comes from one mind and heart and it all points to One so that it holds together, each truth building on the next and ...more
Dawn Poulterer
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Madeline L’Engle. After reading this non fiction of hers, I find myself wanting her influence over me. She is deeply spiritual but not afraid of the mystery surrounding her faith. She provokes questions and engages her own. She reminds us that our lives need to be in tune, yet we’ve created too much static. We miss the beauty of the creation and the God who gave it to us. We are co-creators with God, it is how we are wired. And though we are glorious as his creation, we likewise bring con ...more
Keith Beasley-Topliffe
This is the first in a trilogy of reflections on stories from Genesis that Madeleine L’Engle wrote in 1983. It covers the first 22 chapters, from creation through the offering of Isaac (and God’s provision of a ram substitute. These reflections take many forms: commentary, related stories from the life of Jesus, incidents in her own life. So there’s no pattern to how she approaches the text, but just a flow as she switches from topic to topic and somehow makes it all work together. Reading this ...more
Michelle Kidwell

Reflections on Beginnings

by Madeleine L'Engle

Crown Publishing

Convergent Books

Christian

Pub Date 23 May 2017

I am voluntarily reviewing a copy of And It Was Good through Crown Publishing/ Convergent Books and Netgalley:

In this book Madeline L Engle gives us a glimpse of what it may have been like during those early years of humanity, she talks about what it must have been like for Adam and Eve both before and after the fall.

And It Was Good would be perfect addition to your personal s
Christine
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's how I've read this book: 1. Read first half. 2. Take a break and read the Time Trilogy. 3. Read second half of And It Was Good. I'm loving this read because it's allowing me to get to know the author more - how she processes and thinks about the world. Reading her fiction helps me understand this book more too. She'll write about the "universe" and I know she means it. She writes time - chronos and kairos - and I can picture the difference because of the stories she's told.
Nikki
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, my-faves
I love Madeleine! Her honesty and wisdom is refreshing to my soul. She has a beautiful faith and sincere compassion for the world, while also fully acknowledging her imperfections. This is a beautiful book in her three part series on the Bible and faith. Madeleine reflects on her unique thoughts and insights on the first stories of the bible, from creation up until Abraham and Isaac. I'm excited to read the next one!
Brandi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, this was just OK. It was a little dated, but overall still relevant. The organization seemed odd to me, a little all over the place. But there were several quotes that I saved and overall I didn’t feel like it was a waste of time.
Becky
Beautiful writing, horrible theology for the most part.
Wendy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read, especially if you loved Walking on Water - Reflections on Faith and Art.
Abby
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for gorgeous writing, -1 for dubious theology 😛
Oscar
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her grasp of language, literature and just the care she gives to words is so powerful. Look past the moments where she digresses and find the amazing character she brings to Genesis stories, told from wholly new perspectives. And for 1983, a surprisingly controversial insight into how everything ends and whether "Love Wins".
Jes
Jan 31, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that I really didn't like this book and probably won't read the rest of this series, or if I do, it won't be for a long time.

My main problem with it was that I found the conversation to be all over the place. It was almost as if L'Engle didn't really know what she wanted to talk about for the first 1/4-1/3 of the book. I actually fell asleep reading this book, before I even got to page 50.

All of that sounds VERY bad, and me giving it one star seems harsh. But here's what was
Caroline
I loved this book. She so beautifully writes about God as Creator - one of my favorite ways to dwell on Him. And she addresses so much about the sad reality that too many Christians, being, of course, Creationists, dispute science in fact "When we try to protect God, all we do is stop our understanding of God from growing and deepening, because if we are open to new discoveries in the world within or without, it might change our comfortable image of God...
Why do people who are Christian feel so
Siv
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At least my second reading of this book, I am taken by her descriptions of the world - the wild and beautiful and dangerous natural world; and the world occupied by humans so full of both good and evil and still image their Creator God. L'Engle reminds me to maintain wonder, in spite of the so prevalent brokenness that is our context, and to let wonder move me to prayer.

“When I look at the galaxies on a clear night—when I look at the incredible brilliance of creation, and think that this is what
Anson
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was difficult for me to decide whether to give this book 3 stars or 4 stars. I chose to give it 4 because L'Engle addresses many of the questions/musings I've had over the past 20 years, and she does it in a thoughtful, intelligent way. I did find her use of the word "el" as a pronoun odd; it distracts and detracts from her discussion of the Maker. I understand that it was L'Engle's way of showing that God transcends gender, but I thought it unnecessary. Overall I enjoyed the book very much.
Jennifer Scoggin
This is a book that I feel compelled to re-read every few years (as I do with most of Madeleine's books). It is not so much a study of the first book of the Bible as a devotional book loosely based on the early chapters of Genesis. In it you get a clear view of Madeleine's theology with the love and mercy of God being paramount. As I am also reading her time trilogy simultaneously, I love that many references in AIWG tie in with her fictional work, especially A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
Michelle
Although I found the first half to be more insightful than the second, I was still glad I read the whole book. Genesis is such a rich story and it is always good to return to it with the gift of a new lens. Some of L'Engle's thinking feels dated, some feels too progressive, but it is good to be stretched and challenged. There were many things I hope to remember.
Erika RS
Wonderful. To paraphrase the summary on the sleeve, the book is a reflection on creativity, both divine and human. As always, L'Engle (I want to call her Madeleine, but that seems so presumptuous!) lets us see a stunningly clear snapshot of her world and her life. This book was a delightful balance of the power of word and image.
James Swenson
This is a collection of the author's devotional meditations, inspired by a reading of the early part of the book of Genesis. The reflections are sometimes moving, sometimes surprising, and always openly personal -- maybe even uncomfortably so. Unfortunately, thirty years after publication, much of the writing feels dated.
Julie Fukuda
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second time to read this book. I got a copy signed by Madeleine L'Engle at a Women's conference many years ago and thought now might be a good time to read it again. It was a good re-visit and brought back memories of that conference that are just as valuable today.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Biblical reflections aren't always interesting for me, but I like the way she stretches her thoughts beyond what is there to what is possible and then what that might mean.
Lindamarie
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Madeleine L'Engle ALWAYS makes me think. I do not always agree with her, but I am always forced to think more about what I DO believe, and why.
Cheryl
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, review-gr
Another book that needs to be savored as it is read. One of my personal favorites.
T.J. Gabelman
Aug 17, 2018
Rebecca
Feb 04, 2008
Molly
Jan 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dr. A's Habits of Health: The Path to Permanent Weight Control and Optimal Health
  • God vs. Gay?: The Religious Case for Equality
  • Friends for the Journey
  • The Psychology of Creative Writing
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • The FibroManual: A Complete Treatment Guide to Fibromyalgia for You . . . and Your Doctor
  • Reinventing Knowledge: From Alexandria to the Internet
  • The Medieval Underworld
  • Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq
  • Secrets Beyond the Door: The Story of Bluebeard and His Wives
  • Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Nine Years Among the Indians, 1870-1879: The Story of the Captivity and Life of a Texan Among the Indians
  • The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers. Vol. 1, 1899-1936: The Making of a Detective Novelist
  • The Integral Vision: A Very Short Introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything
  • How the Light Gets in: Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her young adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more

Genesis (3 books)
  • A Stone for a Pillow (Genesis, #2)
  • Sold into Egypt (Genesis, #3)

Nonfiction Deals

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Hole in Our Gospel Special Edition: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
    $10.99 $1.99