Start by marking “If I Were a Kangaroo: A Bedtime Tale” as Want to Read:
If I Were a Kangaroo: A Bedtime Tale

If I Were a Kangaroo: A Bedtime Tale

If I were a kangaroo,
I'd pick you up and carry you
In my pocket, sleepyhead,
And hop you gently off to bed.

It's time for sleep, and this fun-to-read rhyming tale envisions the bedtime rituals of animals from whales to otters, squirrels to gorillas.

So curl up, imagine your favorite animal, and...zzzzzzzzzzz.
Published April 4th 2017 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about If I Were a Kangaroo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Were a Kangaroo

Start your review of If I Were a Kangaroo: A Bedtime Tale
Kelly Gunderman
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I love picture books that focus on parents and their babies - especially when I get to read them to my own babies. There is so much of a warm and happy feeling you get when you're reading about animal parents and animal babies together, and when you find yourself comparing them to your own kids, it's really cute.

I have read several books like this over the years (I've been obsessed with kid's picture books
Abigail
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New Going-to-Bed Picture-Books
Animals the world over put their children to bed in this charming bedtime book, with text in rhyme and colorful artwork featuring soothing shades of purple. Each two-page spread features a different parent-child pair, and a poetic description of the manner in which they go to sleep. At the rear of the book, a more detailed description of each animal's sleeping habits is included.

The rhyming text in If I Were a Kangaroo reads quite well - "If I were a kangaroo, / I'd pick you up and carry you /
Velia
I was misled by the title. I thought this was more of a kangaroo story.
Suzanne
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Fans of Margaret Wise Brown's The Runaway Bunny will feel right at home in this story. A mother tucking her child in for the night tells what she would do if she were various animals at that time of night. A kangaroo would pop her baby in her pocket, while a mother bat would just be waking up to find her baby some dinner. The animals vary from domesticated to wild, land creatures to sea denizens, and something as tiny as spiders to tall giraffes. The habitat and habits of the different animals ...more
Melissa
This month's installment from Dolly Parton's Imagination Library is a delightful bedtime story chock full of animal facts (considering it's so short with few words!) Each double-page spread shows an animal parent going to sleep with their baby, with the illustrations revealing habitats and the minimal rhyming text giving unique tidbits about each animal (the kangaroo baby sleeps in a pouch, the giraffes can sleep standing up, the bats sleep upside-down, etc.) The text is written as a human ...more
Marie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"If I were a kangaroo... and hop you gently off to bed." Each two-page spread contains a four-line couplet telling how different animals go to sleep with their mommies.

SO. SWEET.

I truly love this book. And that's saying something. I've probably read it 524 times, as Joe has decided that it's a favorite. But I really don't mind! It's super sweet without being overly saccharine. It truly is a perfect bedtime read. It ends with the mommy tucking her own boy into bed, counting his fingers and his
Michelle
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun and adorable bedtime story.

There aren't enough good things I could say about this book in order to explain how much I love it. It's cute and fun and just so darn well-written. They rhymes roll off the tongue easily making it so much fun to read again and again like you'll have to once a child in your life falls in love with it.

Read the full review at YA Books Central.
Lynn
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Soft cozy colors help set the bedtime mood and rhyming text in first person can be read softly. Includes sleep-encouraging words, such as drift, gently, and snuggle.
Backmatter includes information about each animal in the book. Sometimes such additional information is not written at the audience level of the reader, but these are! I didn't know giraffes sleep only two hours a day, or that squirrels' nests are called dreys.
Brittany
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-k-2, preschool
Very sweet book and the author sneaks in all the different ways that animals sleep. (Very sneaky Ms Larsen). I think this book would fit a bedtime story time very well. Recommended Purchase. Gr Preschool-2nd.
Cara Byrne
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
"Squirrels cuddle in a heap,/Swaying in their nest, asleep./If we slept in that nest up high,/The wind would sing our lullaby." Detailing how different animals sleep with their families, this book is a nice bedtime read. An Imagination Library book for toddlers.
Jessica
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Dolly Parton for the arrival of another bed time hit. Though we got off on a tangent and now Conner knows that baby kangaroos are joeys, and I think that may have him confused re the nature of our friend Joey.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
What a fun bedtime story. The cute illustrations, and rhyming make for a story kids will enjoy having read to them at bedtime. We liked the information about various animals, that's included at the end of the story.
Mandi Love
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kimber-2018
My daughter absolutely loves this book. We have checked it out twice from the library. The otters are the best! Enjoy it with your kiddo.
Debbie Tanner
This sweet little picture book is all about animals putting their babies to bed. It has short pieces of information about several different animals and soft, cozy pictures. A lovely bedtime story.
Peyton
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute rhyming book that kept the kid's attention pretty good.
Ruth Ann
Soothing bed time story with adorable animal illustrations.
For a babytime storytime, I would skip a few pages. :)
Information in the back about how these animals actually sleep.
Alyssa Tabor
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The spider creeps me out, otherwise I would definitely use this in storytime.
Melissa
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books, rhyme
It rhymes and the back of the book talks about how the animals presented sleep.
Michelle Gray
Themes: nighttime, animals
Michelle Brandstetter
We each prepare to sleep just a little differently, but being made cozy by mommy or daddy is always the best way.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
A cute animal bedtime tale.
Hannah
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute for a young toddler.
Christina Wallace
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-jack
One of Jacks absolute favorites! ...more
Margie's Must Reads
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! A perfect little love story from a parent to their baby.
Donatello
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this and a few others to Sage before bed! :)
MaKenzie Reiff
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I read this book during one of my classes. This book is a bedtime story. I am usually fond of bedtime stories, and I was fond of this one. I liked the illustrations and the information about animals and their bedtime rituals that were presented throughout the book.
Kaylie
Regina
Sep 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Am a Rainbow
  • One Leaf, Two Leaves, Count with Me!
  • No Matter What
  • When the Snow Falls
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Bug Book
Mylisa Larsen has been telling stories for a long time. This has caused her to get gimlet-eyed looks from her parents, her siblings and, later, her own children when they felt that certain stories had been embellished beyond acceptable limits. She now writes childrens books where her talents for hyperbole are actually rewarded.

She is the author of the picture books, How To Put Your Parents To Bed