Start by marking “The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic: A New Translation” as Want to Read:
The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic: A New Translation

The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic: A New Translation

Filling a huge gap in our spiritual culture, here--at last--is a comprehensive and elegant translation of the 1854 French masterwork of occult philosophy.

The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic reignited the esoteric spiritual search in the West and led to the emergence of Madame Blavatsky, Manly P. Hall, and the New Age revolution.

L�vi's study of magic is an absolute must f/>The
Published April 4th 2017 by Tarcherperigee (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic

Start your review of The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic: A New Translation
Richard
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read this text about 4 or 5 times. This is the first time translated into reasonable English.
From this translation, you can see Levi's influence through out the last two centuries, from Albert Pike to Blavasky, to Artaud to Crowley, to the tarot and beyond.
Tim Capps
As one can see, I took copious notes which may help some. This is a long, rambling and repetitious read that will bewilder the beginner but entertain them with Adventures Sorcerous. The experienced—and especially the trained—occultist will find much of value among the leg-pulls, errors, blinds, political and religious views and insight into feminine psychology for would-be seducers. (I think seduction was probably a lot easier in the first half of the 19th Century.)

It is, however, th
AL
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historically, this book is a major influence upon the Western occult movement that spread through Europe from the late 19th century, so I have been compelled to acquaint myself with its knowledge. I’ve started and stopped this book a few times over the last few years, mainly due to the AE Waite translation, which often lulled me into sleepy ennui with its verbose phraseology. But after I found the more modern translation by Greer and Mikituk, I was able to push through the dense prose of Levi, a ...more
Edric Unsane
A well done translation of French Occultist Eliphas Levi's The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic. I was both surprised and elated of just how much of the contents of the book is still relevant to modern Occultism today. I was also a fan of the notations found throughout the pages as they clarified a great deal of obscure references. John Michael Greer and Mark Anthony Mikituk did a wonderful job with the new translation and I highly encourage people interested in the Occult to give this a read.
Eternal Student
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, didn't expect much from Eliphas Levi but I was utterly wrong, the second book definitely is my favorite. Going to be reading this work soon again, exceptional occult material.
Ana Loera
Es demasiado cristiano para mi gusto.
Justin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Explained as clearly as I've heard, but not for me
Silas
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is rather interesting as a document in the history of magic from a time when the only two options were Christianity and science, and this book presented what the author thought was a middle way. While numerous other options have sprung up since then, it is interesting to see how many ways that what is written here has influenced what came later. I found the amount of Christian prayer and theology a bit off-putting, but it was a product of its time, and did present something rather diff ...more
Alexandra
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for any student of the mysteries regardless of level of understanding or mastery. This was my second read of Levi's Transendential Magic and I believe Greer's translation to be excellent and very accessable. This particular translation also has some additional material added to the 'Supplement to the Ritual' that is not included in my Waite translation from 1991.
ASalazar
Oct 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A work full of pagan, religious and mythological trivia. It promises occult wisdom and powers to shape your environment, but that's the carrot on the stick for the credulous and naive.

Take it as a essay on occultism and you might enjoy it. Take it seriously and you will only lose many hours of your time.
Edward
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have loved this book when I was a teenager. The language difficult to remove from experience. This is a great historical volume but if read for current elucidation it must be carefully parsed. Still worthwhile as one of the great books of modernish occultism. Excellent translation.
Ions
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctrine was interesting...ritual was ridiculous...
Bruno Sia
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since Gurdjieff's book I've not read something so complete like this. A definitely guide for life.
Cix
Edizione Harel con codice ISBN stampato ma che non corrisponde a nessun libro, cosa che non succede con il gemello : Il Dogma Dell'Alta Magia di cui l'ISBN è esatto.
Kes
Dense book but informative.
Nuit
Shalima
Nov 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • Living Thelema: A Practical Guide to Attainment in Aleister Crowley's System of Magick
  • Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • My Name Is Bear: An Auto-bear-ography
  • Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson
  • Knox Om Pax
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • Là-Bas (Down There)
  • Rethinking Madness: Towards a Paradigm Shift in Our Understanding and Treatment of Psychosis
  • Black No More
  • Stolen Legacy
  • Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe
  • Essentials of the Reid Technique: Criminal Interrogation and Confessions
  • Animal: The Autobiography of a Female Body
  • I Am Not Your Negro
  • Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  • The Collected Poems
Éliphas Lévi is the pen-name of Abbé Alphonse Louis Constant, a Roman Catholic priest and magician. His later writings on the Tarot and occult topics were a great influence on the Spiritualist and Hermetic movements of fin de siècle England and France, especially on such members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn as Arthur Edward Waite and Aleister Crowley.

---

Éliphas Lévi es el nombre adoptado por el m