Start by marking “Shattered Warrior” as Want to Read:
Shattered Warrior

Shattered Warrior

It's been eight years since Colleen Cavenaugh's home world was conquered by the Derichets. These aliens are bent on harvesting the planet's resources to fuel their warships, no matter the cost to its human natives. Any defiance of the Derichets' rule--the smallest step out of line--can get you beaten, sent to a work camp, or even executed.

Colleen's family is gone, killed
Published May 16th 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Shattered Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered Warrior

Start your review of Shattered Warrior
Lola
Well… that was quite something.

I had trouble understanding what was going on in the beginning. An alien race invaded Colleen’s world and took over as the new leaders of the planet without, of course, giving the humans a choice in the matter.

Colleen lost her family. She is now alone. To survive, she works in some kind of factory under the supervision of the alien specie.

Eventually, she rebels against the aliens by joining a group of rebels with the mission of getting rid of the aliens. Pretty
Calista
I found this to be an engaging story. A brutal world with an invading alien race and the humans trying to free themselves from their tyranny. A woman who has lost almost everything struggles to keep going. She finds herself in a group of group who are willing to give everything for freedom. She finds a it within her to open her heart and let love in again.

The story was character driven. The artwork was all about the characters. This is about the story that happens to be set in the future with
David Schaafsma
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-women, gn-ya
Pretty standard stand-alone sci-fi story by Sharon Shinn, with great drawing by Molly Ostertag. Humans are ruled over by the Derichts. The Chromatti get Colleen involved in their rebellion. The characters are actually somewhat complex, we come to like Colleen, even if the outcome was never in doubt from the first. And it's a little too short for the story to develop with any real depth. I liked it just fine, it’s worth taking a look at it if you are into women in comics (as I am, taught a course ...more
Michelle
I was so bummed I didn't dig this. This is a POC women-led work and I'm all about that, but this felt too rushed for me to ever be really invested. I wish I had kept some notes on this because I've already forgotten a lot of major details (and ones that made me decide to give this a lower rating), but here are some random thoughts:

- On the positive side, I like Molly Ostertag's art. It reminds me a lot of Faith Erin Hicks (without being derivative).

- I was never convinced of the relationship
Erica

Old tale, new treatment.

Humans are subjugated by the Derichets, forced to labor in mines and factories to support the Derichet's war efforts throughout the galaxy. Rebellion brews.
A former member of the nobility, now reduced to factory worker, finds out she has one family member left and learns to love again.
A mine worker turned rebel turns his strengths to a greater cause.

It's a decent retelling of the oppressed human race tale and I was caught up throughout, though I started rolling
First Second Books
May 16, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Colleen Cavanaugh's home world wis ruled by Derichets, a tyrannical alien race bent on exploiting the planet's mineral resources.Most of her family died in the war, and she now lives alone in the city. Aside from her acquaintances at the factory where she toils for the Derichets, Colleen makes a single friend in Jann, a member of the violent group of rebels known as the Chromatti. One day Colleen receives shocking news: her niece Lucy is alive and in need of her help. Shattered Warrior is a ...more
Sesana
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The world building is fairly good, but the story itself is a little predictable and paint-by-numbers. I checked out on the romance as soon as I realized it was yet another iteration of the old "I'm lusting after somebody else's boy/girlfriend but that's ok because that person is evil" trope that I find tiresome.
Martha Wells
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it, and once I started I couldn't put it down. Loved the art, too.
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {and so on}
"Now it begins."
"The first blow for freedom."

Eight years after the Derichets' arrival on Earth, Colleen Cavenaugh, once a wealthy young woman from a privileged family, slaves away in a factory that supplies kallium, a vital ingredient to the aliens' ship fuel, salvaged from natural corzite, bowing down to the hollowing out of her planet.
Forced out of her posh childhood home, bossed around by her Derichet overlords, and weighted down with the death of her family, Colleen clings to one hope: that
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rich story telling makes this an exciting science-fiction adventure. Set on a humanoid world which has been invaded and now ruled by aliens. The story centres on a young woman who grew up, pre-invasion, as a rich elitist little girl whose family was one of the most influential, and a young man, born a coal miner's son, who now belongs to a gang which causes trouble for both other humans and the aliens. They both eventually join the resistance and learn that even though they come from opposite ...more
Raina
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Molly Knox Ostertag is one of those people for me. I'll probably read everything she touches.

This was a fun read for me. Speculative fiction - another planet or far in the distant future Earth where everything has new names. Another planet's residents have taken over and now oppress this planet's native population. We meet a young person who works in a factory, meets some new people, rebels & gets guerilla active, finds love. Pretty yummy, great full-color illustrations.

Erica brings some
Christy
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love reading graphic novels because there is so much more sensory input with the art. I recently picked up Shatter Warrior and was blown away! I loved so much about this book and I'm here to share a few reasons why you need to read it, whether you're a graphic novel reader or not!

Five Reasons You Need to Read Shattered Warrior
Multi-faceted story with scifi and romance elements. I am such a sucker for a good romance story and I think everyone knows how much I love reading scifi. They
Stewart Tame
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty decent SF rebellion tale. Humans are a conquered race, ruled over by the Derichts. Colleen Cavanaugh lives on what remains of her family's estate, trying to keep her head down and get through life as best she can. She has few friends outside of work. One day, a group of violent rebels, the Chromatti begin camping out near her estate, and, despite her better judgment, she finds herself being drawn into their plans ...

One of the things I liked about this book is that the various groups are
Dov Zeller
This is an enjoyable story. The characters are compelling enough, though certainly their stories could have been deepened a bit.

I was a bit confused by all the names of the different groups of people and some of the history might have been more richly shared, but the plot was familiar enough that it was hard to get too confused.

There wasn't a lot of complexity around who is bad and who is good, and that might have been for me, the biggest frustration. (I would say more about this, but don't
Melinda Lamb
The book was great but left me strangely dissatisfied. The plot was great but I think I would have liked it fleshed out more in a novel.
Content advisory for referrals:
Picture of a woman's breast while she's lying in bed next to her lover. The sex is not depicted or ever mentioned. It happens as a result of a loving relationship in a totalitarian society where marriage is impossible
Violence is shown but not gratuitous or obscenely represented.
Women are mentioned as being taken and usually
mytaakeonit
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. One warning, there is a naked (top half) lady. I just drew her a cute black bra! Other than that, totally middle school appropriate!
Lexie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gns-owned-read
Overall I greatly enjoyed this graphic novel (which as of this review, March 8, 2017, is a stand alone according to the publisher). I found Colleen to be a good blend of traits - strong, but hiding her vulnerability which made her realize she was missing something.

This isn't a "soft" book - quite a few chars who don't deserve it get beaten, killed or abused in some way. It's also not too worried about history building - we learn about the Chromatti and how they evolved to the group they were. We
Kend
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A coworker gave this book to me for my birthday this year, and true to form it took me a while to get to it. But less time than it usually does! So ... that's a fun useless bit of trivia for you.

Shattered Warrior checks a lot of boxes for me. Complicated central non-male character? Check. Gorgeous art direction? Check. Fully woke discussions of race, gender, relationships, conflict, and trauma? Check. It moves fast, and while it is a substantial graphic novel, it is also easy enough to consume
Michael
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great artwork, and a very enjoyable story about a ragtag band of humans against overwhelming alien odds. Yeah, it could be a generic riff, but Shinn imbues the characters with such heart and provides a strong emotional awakening for her tragedy-laden protagonist, enabling her to overcome a fairly blah plot scenario to craft a truly memorable story.
Jordan Meyer
I gave this book 4 stars because it was fun to read and had some action. The second reason this book got 4 stars is that it was pretty easy to read and understand. This is the reason why I like reading this book is that its has a good plot to it. These reasons are why I liked reading this book.
The first reason is that the action in the book is really hooked me and helped me stay in the book. One of the things that really hooked me was eight years ago Colleen Cavanaugh's home world was invaded
Llyr Heller-Humphreys
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Story, character, the art. I wish this were a series!
Maggie Gordon
I'm a huge fan of Ostertag's art, so this was an auto-grab at the library. I was expecting a kid's graphic novel, but this is definitely geared towards older teens and up. Shattered Warrior is about conquest and occupation. Humanity has been beaten by an alien race, and life under their rule is nasty, brutish, and short (my thanks to Hobbes for the quote). This is a dark book that does not shy away from violence, though it could definitely use a bit more decompression to let the story settle and ...more
Madison
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. It's complex and a little dark, and I was confused for the first few pages about the different groups they mention without much explanation. But after that, I think the story moves along nicely.

The only thing I truly hated was (under spoiler cut)(view spoiler)
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
3.75/5

Weird that a year ago I had never read a Sharon Shinn novel and now I seek out anything she's worked on.

Anyway.

This is her first graphic novel and I can see some of the old trademarks of why I love her as an author. I do think her style is a bit hampered by the necessary brevity for dialogue and rare instances of worldbuilding. The GN itself is 256 pages and the plot can skip along easily for lack of time to develop it further. Still, a quick,enjoyable, and suitably dark look at an Earth
Sara
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little difficult to follow right at the beginning, but once you get into it, it's great. Finally a good romantic adventure/sci-fi that is especially well illustrated. I loved Molly Knox Ostertag's work, and I would definitely read more.
---if any one has any suggestions on really well illustrated romantic/adventure graphic novels, please let me know!
Jesse
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Colleen has been alone for a long, long time under the rule of the alien Derichet race, so when an opportunity to make a noticeable change in her world arrives, she jumps on it. The story has all the great plot points: a family reunion, first love, sabotage, and underdogs. Also, fabulous artwork!
Faye
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book started off strong for me but lost steam as it went along. I couldn't help but feel like I didn't learn enough about the characters, but the world building is thorough and the relationships were interesting. Definitely worth an afternoon read if you have time.
Anne
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novel
I really enjoyed this. A few of the emotional beats moved too quickly for my liking, and overall the story felt a little fast, but I really liked the glimpse into this world, the characters introduced, and the plot points. And the artwork is lovely. I'd love to see more from this universe.
Heydi Smith
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The illustrations are incredible. The story could have been more in-depth.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Archival Quality
  • Stargazing
  • The City on the Other Side
  • M.F.K.: Book One
  • The Okay Witch
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • The Wendy Project
  • Cast No Shadow
  • Kiss Number 8
  • ANIMUS
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • The Altered History of Willow Sparks
I’ve been writing stories and poems since I was eight years old. My first poem was about Halloween: "What is tonight? What is tonight?/Try to guess and you’ll guess right." Perhaps this inauspicious beginning explains why it took me till I was in my thirties to sell a novel. It occurred to me early on that it might take some time and a lot of tries before I was able to publish any of my creative ...more