Start by marking “Blind Item” as Want to Read:
Blind Item

Blind Item

(Blind Item #1)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  549 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
No one knows her name, but now everyone wants to.

As an assistant publicist in Hollywood, Nicola spends her days (and nights) sweeping up the scandals of singers, movie stars, and TV actors. Fresh from Ohio, she’s rapidly discovering the real Hollywood is rotten under its glittering skin. Everyone is a hustler with a hard bottom line and a soap opera sob story.

When she brea
Published June 6th 2017 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Blind Item, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Item

Charlie Smith
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meant to be a roman a clef written by Hollywood insiders about a small-town girl, comes to Hollywood, falls for a star, he falls for her, betrayal by friends, venal, drug-using, sex addicted, beautiful people with secrets and lies and --- you get the picture. Fast read. But, in truth, it made me miss Harold Robbins and Jaqueline Susann and Jackie Collins and, especially, Dominick Dunne's thinly veiled, scandalous trash-fests. On the other hand, in a world full of People Magazine, tabloids, TMZ, ...more
Christine Beidel
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dishy and funny and just everything you want in a summer read. Grab a fruity cocktail and a beach chair and get comfy because you'll want to devour it in one sitting! I don't want to give away any details because they're all so fun...and true. The PR Grand Dame is so well drawn that I wanted to call her office to set up drinks! Highly recommend. Enjoy!
Rick eich
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. This book is SO Hollywood from start to finish. And I'm talking about the Hollywood most people don't know about. Trust me when i say its not all glam and glitz like the magazines make it out to be. It all starts out innocently enough and then wham, Hollywood sideswipes the best of em. You might be next lol. If you're in the right place at the right time anything can happen. Wow you might get lucky and even meet a star. Anyways I'm not going to spoil this one. Its definitely worth rea ...more
Melanie Johnson
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
It's like Jackie Collins rose from the grave and wrote this novel. If you like her books, you will also like this one. If you want to feel like a Hollywood insider from the publicist's perspective, then you will also love this. I can see this being a fun, dishy beach read.
Kara
May 31, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, 2017-releases
DNFing on page 35. Some of the writing reads stilted and amateurish, but I think I could get past that if I pushed on. I'd rather not though. Look, I knew going in there was going to be scandals, drugs, paparazzi, and a bunch of Hollywood stuff, but I didn't expect so much drugs. It's also incredibly catty and shallow, and I was expecting something a little more lighthearted, and I don't know, chick lit-y?

BLEH. Just not my thing. If I wanted this, I could read boy band fan fiction instead. But I
Jill
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Abandoned quickly. Maybe I've read too many of these but even Jackie Collins' were better.
Kristin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ORIGINAL POST: http://www.nerdprobs.com/books/book-r...

**A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

What I had hoped Fifty Shades of Grey would have been, Blind Item was all of that and more. This book was full of spice, attitude, and wrapped in a sexy flair. Blind Item follows Nicola and her friends as they navigate the tricky world of Hollywood, some trying to stay out of trouble and others looking for it.

Blind Item has all these characters that are j
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
2.5 stars.

As an up-and-coming publicist to the stars, Nicola has experienced a lot—but this Ohio girl is about to be exposed to Hollywoods' seamy underside. Nico has two rules: don't date a druggie, and never date an actor. Along with her two best friends, dirt-scraping journalist Billy and stylist/celebrity-wannabe Kara, Nico is about to take on Hollywood. Or not.

Sex. Drugs. Gassy blowjobs. Druggie parties. Gay people. Overdoses. Bigotry. Weird-as-fuck sex. A little rock 'n roll. And more drugs
Jamie Holzberg / Fluff Smut & Murder
I tried. Oh Lord how I tried to like this book.

I saw the ads for it, read the glowing reviews from C-list celebrities. I thought it was going to be the perfect, fluffy, summer read.

Yeah - no.

First of all, it took me almost a month to read past the first 100 pages. If you know anything about me, my average reading time is like 5 days max. And that's usually because I've snuck a 7 day library book in the middle. I live to read a fluffy, smutty book.

And then - the worst thing could have happened.
Laurel
2.5 stars. I'm not really sure what I was expecting with this one. I heard an interview with the authors on the Juicy Scoop podcast and thought it sounded so good and right up my alley. I like a good Hollywood scandal story. Sadly, I couldn't really get into it.

I don't have high standards for books, but there were a few picky things that bothered me. The writing was kind of clunky. There were a few points where I had to re-read because I didn't understand what had just happened. The main charact
Tara
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was talking to someone that told me about this book. That 'said someone' was a Hollywood D-girl. I live in and used to work in Hollywood. I say this because it is not shiny and pretty like magazines (minus tabloids) and awards shows want you to believe. There is a lot of Weinstein business going on and has been for decades. Yes, this dirty laundry is not unique to the entertainment business. I have seen it in fashion and business (Wall Street is notorious for sexual depravity). I digress...thi ...more
Samantha March
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge fan of celebrity-lit, so when I was asking to review Blind Item, I jumped at the chance. I loved the sparkly cover, the synopsis, and the fact that the book was written by “two Hollywood insiders” – who better to tell this story? Wow is there a lot happening between the pages. What I always find so intriguing about celebrity inspired books, especially when they are coming from celebrities or Hollywood insiders, is that you know everything involves the truth in some way. So even though ...more
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
Blind Item is a ridiculous, trashy, addictive, reality show type book that I couldn't stop reading. It's definitely not "the next great novel", but it doesn't pretend to be either. The story draws you in and doesn't let go, no matter how ridiculous it gets. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book. It shows a side of Hollywood that people don't always want to see and isn't often shown. I thought it would be a romantic fairytale of Hollywood proportions, but instead we got a trashy addictive reali ...more
Danielle Flynn
I really wanted to like this since I hold a torch for all things LA ...but it was so very mehhhh. Most of the characters, including the main Nicola, are really unlikeable. She says early on that it's important to her to be kind above anything else, except, she doesn't seem to be a very nice person. Sure, she hates drugs and is your beautiful-down-to-earth-Midwestern girl being "real" in Hollywood, but that doesn't make her nice or kind. I had to skim through the last 1/3 of the book just to get ...more
Sarita
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun trashy Hollywood read, sort of like a modern Jackie Collins.

Nicola is a small town Ohio transplant in LA working PR for an eccentric demanding boss (Can we get a book just about the boss, she was so delightful, kind of like a loveable Devil Wears Prada type!), and just trying to get over her tragic past. Her gay BFF Billy, who makes a living selling stories to the tabloids, always has her back, and her roommate Kara, who is chasing fame a-la-Kardashian's always keeps her entertained.

At an
Lauren
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books-read
A great summer pool, beach, plane, train, boat or even couch read! I was a little nervous when I saw reality to celeb Kim what's her face and her daughter promoting it but I read the synopsis and thought it sounded like a fun easy read so I gave it a shot. Only 380 pages so it doesn't drag out. A little sad it didn't have a happier ending but all in all I'm satisfied with the story and hope that there might be a sequel! Nicola is a good protagonist and I like Billy and Gaynor too. Kara I could d ...more
Tracy
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, spicy, gossipy. This was the exact and perfect end of summer read I was looking for. The book is written by a Hollywood gossip writer and a publicist giving the story an exciting bonus, to try to figure out whom the "blind items" were really based off of. All of the main characters are funny and relatable in different ways, and I especially enjoyed reading about the main character, Nicola's journey up the industry ladder among all of the ego centric, washed up, a list-z listers, and the vul ...more
Chris Markley
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A juicy, behind the scenes look at the Hollywood of publicists and those scrambling for items to sell to the tabloids. A fictional look into the lives of 3 friends - Nicola, an assistant publicist, Kara, a stylist and reality tv wanna be, and Billy, a seller of seedy tips to the tabloids. As the friends try to survive and thrive in Hollywood they struggle between what is protected by the friendship and what is far game for the tabloids.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC f
Julie
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is not my usual type of book. But it was a little fun and engaging. I don't follow all the entertainment and reality shows, but I could see how this novel could be pulled from real events. None of the characters was incredibly likable, in my opinion, but I am a little older than the target market for this book I imagine. They all have their own code of ethics, although Billy's is pointed out several times.
This repetition is one of the problems. The writing is also melodramatic at times, eve
Paul Amirault
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Los Angeles finally gets the “Tales of the City” treatment

With echoes of “Notting Hill,” “The Devil Wears Prada” (movie version), and “Wag the Dog”—as well as Armistead Maupin’s beloved “Tales of the City” books—Kevin Dickson and Jack Ketsoyan’s new novel, "Blind Item," is a hilarious insider look at the Hollywood scene—with all its glittering and garish parts.

The plot follows three twentysomething friends trying to make it in the entertainment capital of the world—without destroying their mora
Veronique
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
While browsing my library's "most popular at the library" list (romance), I found this book. Makes sense it's popular since my library is the LA library...anyways, all to say, it's a grittier romance than I usually read, but I enjoyed reading a novel set in LA about an industry I'm not involved in at all but know exists around the corner. Generally, a fun, quick read. Wish there was more of an ending, though.
Julie
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked that this book showed Hollywood and the publist's job. This was certainly a NA book . There was parties, drinking, drugs, secret hook up and a romance. I loved Billy , and Kara such good friends who are also dealing with their issues. Almost reminded me of a Jackie Collins novel with all the smut of Hollywood.
Deb
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Audiobook - Horrible! I know some people don't mind and even want to listen to some pretty graphic sex in books, but I'm just not one of them. I wish there had been a warning in the description when I checked it out on Overdrive. I don't think I even finished the first part, the story wasn't good and neither was the writing.
Allison White
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
As much as I love trashy reality tv and was excited about this book, this totally missed the mark. Lots of trying here but the characters and their separate stories were not interwoven well and I’m still not entirely sure what the plot was.
Courtney Cahoon White
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you love celebrity gossip and have a taste for a little mindless reading, you've come to the right place. The book is all inside Hollywood stories, woven together with a little narrative. It's a fun, light summer read.
Liz Cabrera
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was complete garbage. I couldn't even finish it. It was so poorly written and and the characters so cliche that I couldn't waste even one more second on this travesty.
Not fun, not a cool beach read, just crap.
Kathy W
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like pop culture and celebrity gossip you'll love this quick read. I know that the story is fiction for the scandals are true. One character is obviously Paris Hilton. I'm DYING to know who the other scandals are about!

Jen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a fun, light hearted book.
Valerie Watson Scheg
Gossipy and somehow gritty fluff.
Trashier than I expected...probably won’t read the sequel.
Limecello
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Really interesting blurb ... but man.

She's driving and "she slowly blinked her smoky eyes..."
Yeah.
Los Angeles based Chihuahua and giraffe aficionado. Author of Blind Item and Guilty Pleasure. Currently working on an all-new standalone novel for 2019. Former guitarist/vocalist in punk band The Chew Toys. Veteran entertainment journalist, survived fifteen years in the tabloids with a few shreds of integrity intact. Music obsessive. Friendly and chatty, can often be found at the LA Zoo, hiking th ...more

Blind Item (2 books)

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Hippopotamus
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red