Start by marking “If Sharks Disappeared” as Want to Read:
If Sharks Disappeared

If Sharks Disappeared

(If Animals Disappeared)

A healthy ocean is home to many different kinds of animals. They can be
big, like a whale,
tiny, like a shrimp,
and even scary, like a shark.

Even though sharks can be scary, we need them to keep the oceans healthy. Unfortunately, due to overfishing, many shark species are in danger of extinction, and that can cause big problems in the oceans and even on land.

What would hap
Published June 13th 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

Start your review of If Sharks Disappeared
karen
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shaaaaarks, kiddiwinx
sorry for all the shark reviews lately, but shark week means i gotta float old sharky reviews, and now i gotta review all the ones i read during THIS year's shark week (although i only managed to read 6 this year -booo). this one was number three...

this is an excellent and responsible children’s picture book about sharks and how, although they might seem

photo IMG_2803_zpsirqgk8xb.jpg

they are a very important part of our life here on land. there’s a lot factual information about how ecosystems work

photo IMG_2804_zpsyq0yahog.jpg

and how losing one
Trish
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So what IF sharks disappeared? We might find out sooner rather than later ...

This is a cute book showcasing a healthy ocean as opposed to the already strongly deteriorating one we have plus what would happen if sharks indeed were gone from this world.
It is made out to look as if it was a book by a child for other children (like when you have to do a report for school and then present it in front of class maybe) and I like that concept a lot, not least because you don't see it too often.

What I lo
Manybooks
Because I am (and always have been) totally and utterly in favour of protecting and safeguarding our planet's often fragile ecosystems (and their animals, plants etc.) I very much and massively do appreciate that author/illustrator Lily Williams with her If Sharks Disappeared so clearly and succinctly (but without emotional over-exaggeration) points out what could so easily (and even more than likely relatively rapidly) transpire extinction-wise if sharks (as an example of an apex predator speci ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is such a great little nonfiction book to add to any kid's collection, whether they love sharks, are afraid of them, or are new to learning about them. It presents sharks in an honest but kind light — yes, they can be frightening, but they're not all vicious man-eaters! — and, most of all, it strongly highlights the awful things we humans do to sharks, and the effect that our actions are having on the oceans and will continue to have if we don't stop over-fishing.
Peacegal
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
Sharks are struggling. Despite existing nearly unchanged for millions of years, many species of shark large and small are now at the brink of extinction. Sharks have far more to fear from us than we do from them.

This book presents to an elementary-aged audience the repercussions that could occur if sharks were to disappear from the food chain. The information is simplified in a way that young audiences can understand it, and it's likely to get them fired up about protecting sharks.

We definitely
Ms. B
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A book about the importance of sharks. What role do they play in the food chain?
Jillian Heise
This is a great book about sharks, ecosystems, food chains, ocean life, and what might happen If Sharks Disappeared. Fantastic science connections, as well as ecofriendly and sustainable fishing advocacy. The back matter with further explanation, calls to action, and an authors note are not to be missed. I enjoyed the energetic illustrations (and the cameos by the child's golden retriever!) and the simplified, but not dumbed-down, explanations of complex concepts. This is a must-have for any cla ...more
India
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really cute illustrations. It was fun to read through this with my daughter, who was very hesitant to read this book. (She said she doesn't like hearing about how the world is dying.) But in the end, she came up with a lot of interesting questions and it ended up being a good discussion. Really cute and written well. The vocabulary might be a bit rough for younger kids. Ave is 8 and stopped me to ask about a lot of the words.

Ave says she'd rate it 5 stars because she liked it and it's good for p
Edward Sullivan
An exceptional look at the fragility of the food chain and ecosystem and the likely consequences if it collapsed.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Looks at the shark's ecosystem and what would happen if sharks were not around
Sarah Hannah
Umm this is fantastic. Like, it's really good science about something that's not overdone in books, especially books for children; it assumes children are intelligent; it's not precious; it's really well designed as far as page turns and text placement and occasional changes from landscape to portrait; and oh yeah, the ur-child or default child on all the pages is black, JUST BECAUSE.
La Coccinelle
This picture book is a little heavy on the facts, so it would probably be best suited to older kids. Some of the terms used will be unfamiliar, and although there's a glossary, the text might still be too advanced for younger readers.

There are plenty of facts presented, as well as speculation about what would happen if sharks disappeared. It isn't pretty. Sadly, we're well on our way to making that future happen. The book tells us if we "work together", we can fix the problem. I sat there for a
Barbara
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's been a recent spate of books considering what might happen to our world if certain key species were gone. This is a terrific one to add to the science classroom library since it features colorful images that completely fill each page, but it also describes a worst case scenario that might encourage change in fishing practices and human behavior. After providing background information about sharks and their importance as apex predators, the author points out that many shark species are vu ...more
Gary Anderson
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Something about sharks makes them endlessly fascinating. If Sharks Disappeared acknowledges the scariness of sharks but then makes a sharp turn to focus on the ecological importance of sharks. Author Lily Williams illustrates what would happen if sharks vanished from the food chain. Williams explains that sharks are apex predators, those at the top of the food chain. If sharks go away, species lower on the food chain will proliferate, causing a variety of ripples in the delicate balance affectin ...more
Lynn
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I would like to do a study of non-fiction books that at first glance have the appearance of fiction, such as this one. I really thought it was going to be a 'fun' book about a girl and her dog looking for sharks, with some cute, surprise ending. I wonder if our youngsters are taking these non-fiction books seriously when they have illustrations like this one.
On the other hand, the artwork here is sufficient, and has a great fold-down page so the reader can experience the depth of the ocean. The
Marti
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
They are all smiling! The perfect introduction to the world of sharks. Bright colorful illustrations and packed with valuable information, it is sure to be a hit. The conservation issue and the role sharks play in the world will not be lost on students. Information sections in the back are particularly kid friendly. "How can you help?" tell a friend and draw shark pictures, this is something little readers can do. Some of the language is on a higher level, but does not detract from the book. Get ...more
Abby Johnson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would be a great book to read for classroom units on conservation and the environment. It explains in a very simple way what the potential effects of losing an apex predator like the shark would have on the environment. That the family in the book is a family of color is a cherry on top.

Hand this to environmentally-minded kids or kids who love reading and learning about the ocean.
Sutton Stacey
I really enjoyed this book. It had a very healthy balance between awareness in disaster and promoting change. The illustrations were very cute. It would be a great book for educational purposes with science. It discuses food chains and how the environment works.
Jesse
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A great example of cause and effect with an interesting focus: sharks! Lots of important information with wonderful illustrations!
Maggi Rohde
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just about the cutesiest shark book I've ever read.
Dawn
Nonfiction Title: If Sharks Disappeared
Author: Lily Williams
Copyright: 2017
Twin text
Fiction Title: Sea Creatures from the Sky
Author: Ricardo Cortes
Copyright: 2018
Content Areas: Science- SC.3.7.2 Gather and analyze data to communicate an understanding of the interdependent relations in ecosystems.
Language Arts- LA 3.1.6 Comprehension: Students will construct meaning by using prior knowledge and text information while reading grade-level literary and informational text.

I chose the book Sea Creat
Sandy
If all the sharks disappeared in the world, life as we know it, would cease to exist. It’s the circle of life inside this children’s nonfiction book and I enjoyed how Lily Williams told this story.

Beginning with how important sharks are to our environment, to their evolution over the years, sharks are important, no matter how scary they are. On the top of the food chain, sharks help create a balance in our world and without that balance, our world would become unstable and even us humans, would
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Excellent nonfiction which reads like a picture book. Not quite short enough for a toddler storytime, but, probably excellent as a kindergarten read loud. This book is mostly about the niche sharks fill in the environment and what would happen if they were gone. This book relies on illustrations rather than photographs and the illustrations are of the cutesy variety. This book doesn't discuss a bunch of different types of sharks, rather, it's about how the oceans and even land creatures could be ...more
Melanie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An honest look at the role sharks play in our ecosystems and what would happen to everything if we allow them to die out, plus a glossary and resources for more info.
Alice
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The word (phrase) of the day is "Trophic Cascade" "A chain of events that happens once a top predator is removed from the or added to an ecosystem" (can you say wolves in Yellowstone???)
This is a very basic understanding of our world and our interdependence on all creatures!
I just see "4th Grade Science Class" flashing in front of my eyes. This would be perfect! It is clear, informational with lovely pictures! If sharks disappeared... well.. we are up a creek without a paddle... not good!

* thi
Sydney Brager
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animal
This book begins by describing different animals that coexist in making a healthy ocean. It mentions the importance of a balanced environment, then introduces sharks. It talks about how sharks are at the top of the food chain and are known as apex predators. If sharks were to go extinct, lots of other systems in the ocean would crumble. If sharks disappeared, there would be too many seals eating too many fish and the fish population numbers would deplete. The book begins to go into all the other ...more
Alicia Brommer
Fiction Twin:
Kuefler, J. (2015). Beyond the pond. New York, NY: HarperCollins.

This fiction book was selected because it provides look at a pond through exploration. Ernest and his dog explore his pond that had no bottom and come out on the other side. Basics of diving and what is in a pond come up in the story, as well as some things that are not in a pond. This book provides some good opportunities for comparing and contrasting elements in If Sharks Disappeared. Since one book is in the ocean a
Educateempower
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What would happen if sharks disappeared completely?

Do we really need them? Can we live without them?

All these questions will be answered in this cleverly written and illustrated book by Lily Williams - If Sharks disappeared: Why sharks are important for our whole planet.

A healthy ocean is home to many different creatures and if we get rid of any one of these creatures the ocean will be unbalanced and possibly have devastating effects on other animals, sea life and then life out of the ocean.

This
Selena
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-3090-11-20
Summary: This shocking story follows the cause and effect relationship of our global ecosystem if sharks were to disappear. The real life devastation is all explicitly clear as each species in our environment is directly affected. Readers will learn the interconnections that help maintain a balanced ecosystem. Follow this foreshadowing story and learn how you can help save the sharks and all life on Earth.
Evaluation: This chilling story exposes the true systematic way in which our ecosystem fun
Catherine Horton
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I was at a bookstore and came across this title when browsing the wildlife section. I am so glad that the topic of animal conservation is weaving itself into books especially geared toward younger audiences. The more one learns at an early age, the more one will remember what they have learned and will thus appreciate it when they become adults.

'If Sharks Disappeared' is a simple yet fantastically written, to-the-point, and educational book. It is very thought-provoking, and I have a feeling tha
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Otis and Will Discover the Deep: The Record-Setting Dive of the Bathysphere
  • What If...
  • Let the Children March
  • Cute as an Axolotl: Discovering the World's Most Adorable Animals
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • What Is Chasing Duck? (The Giggle Gang, #1)
  • Be Kind
  • The Sun Is Kind of a Big Deal
  • Under My Hijab
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Chester Nez and the Unbreakable Code: A Navajo Code Talker's Story
  • Douglas, You're a Genius!
Lily Williams is the author and illustrator of the If Animals Disappeared nonfiction picture book series and graphic novel Go With The Flow (co-written with Karen Schneemann). She grew up in Northern California where she received her B.F.A. from California College of the Arts. Lily seeks to inspire change, engage audiences, and educate people of all ages with her artwork. Her work can be seen in f ...more

If Animals Disappeared (4 books)
  • If Polar Bears Disappeared