Start by marking “The Big Bad Fox” as Want to Read:

The Big Bad Fox

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Fox? No one, it seems.

The fox dreams of being the terror of the barnyard. But no one is intimidated by him, least of all the hens. When he picks a fight with one, he always ends up on the losing end. Even the wolf, the most fearsome beast of the forest, can't teach him how to be a proper predator. It looks like the fox will have to spend the res
Published June 20th 2017 by First Second (first published January 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bad Fox, please sign up.
Agnese It won't make you laugh ALL the time but there are some absolutely hilarious passages. Overall it will make you smile. It takes half an hour to read a…moreIt won't make you laugh ALL the time but there are some absolutely hilarious passages. Overall it will make you smile. It takes half an hour to read and it's never boring, anyway.(less)

Start your review of The Big Bad Fox
Cristina Monica
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What darling characters.

The Big Bad Fox is especially adorable. You see, he thinks he’s scary, but no one—not the pig, dog or hen—is afraid of him. He tries hard to be terrifying in the eyes of others, unsuccessfully.

He even takes advice from his friend, the Big Bad Wolf, but nothing works. One day he manages to steal three eggs with the help of the wolf, though the moment the three chicks hatch, he becomes their mommy.

It is so, so cute. Of course, not one of the three chicks believes the Big
First Second Books
Jun 20, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
In this sweet barnyard adventure, an incompetent fox tries unsuccessfully to terrorize chickens, and instead becomes the "mommy" of three adopted chicks. With its beautifully rendered in watercolor, The Big Bad Fox is a hilarious and surprisingly tender parable about parenthood that's sure to be a hit with new parents (and their kids too).
Calista
Original is in French and now it's in English. Everyone should be scared of the Fox and yet he gets no respect. A wolf encourages him to steal some eggs and hatch them and then he will have a bigger meal when the chicks are bigger. He does and he becomes their momma. The story is about the chicks who all think they are foxes and they like to play they are eating chicks.

There is a lot of funny stuff in this story. The art is only in service to the story. It is not thrilling. The fox simply wanted
FangirlNation
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
While The Big Bad Fox was likely written for an older audience, it met with the enthusiastic approval of my five-year-old son. I first read it to myself and found it an entertaining book, and then several days later my son asked me to read it aloud to him. He sat enthralled as I read it from cover to cover.

For the rest of the review and many others, go to FangirlNation.com
Justine
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was the most adorable thing ever :)
I recommend it to everyone who needs to smile !!!
SheAintGotNoShoes
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who ever said a fox can't change his ways ?
Very cute. :-)
Ed Erwin
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comics
Loads of fun. From the creator of the animated film "Ernest and Celestine". Probably great to read to kids, if you can tolerate being around kids. I would enjoy it more as a film, but still enjoyed it as a book.
Lana
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
By: Benjamin Renner

In Benjamin Renner's The Big Bad Fox , the fox aspires to be a "big and bad" predator. Despite his best efforts, Fox is anything but "big and bad." His attempts to capture a farmyard chicken are always thwarted, and he is reduced to eating turnips. After several comical blunders, a local wolf helps Fox hatch a plan to steal three eggs and raise them to be plump juicy chickens. Then, Wolf, who is tired of eating rodents, and Fox will have a feast. Fortunately,
Georgia Erwin
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS. I haven't ever laughed that hard because of a book, and definitely not that many times. It's adorable, the illustrations are excellent (in color, lively and fun and not that sad half-assed stuff that tends to infect longer BDs), and the story pulls the neat trick of being incredibly clear and simple so that the extra-delightful characters can hijack the plot and run wild. I read this over a long period of time, and it's great because you don't need to remember much to get ...more
Dolly
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is a sweet story about a hungry fox who becomes the adoptive mother to three chicks. The story is very comical with the narrative comprised entirely of dialogue. And the watercolor illustrations are hilarious, with as many as nine small frameless images on each page.

Overall, it's an entertaining story and I love that the book has a strong cast of female characters who don't put up with nonsense.
Jillian Heise
A little silly, but kids will likely crack up.
Cassie Fischer
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! So glad I'm observing an elementary school so I heard about this. I hope it wins the KBA awards!
Barbara
In this story written and illustrated by a French creator, a poor old fox is desperately hungry because he's finding it difficult to hunt successfully and bring home any of the hens from the nearby farm for his dinner. As it turns out, the fox has a rather sweet, unintimidating nature that makes him more suited for nurturing that hunting and killing. The wolf comes up with a plan to insure that he'll have something more to eat than the turnips the barnyard animals share with him. Following the w ...more
Nilah
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd seen a preview of this upcoming film (it's an anthology film, Le grand méchant renard et autres contes...), but didn't realize it was based on a comic until I ran into a copy of it in my local comic shop. Cute story, I loved the simple layouts and panels - it made me think about the variety of storytelling styles within comics. I thought there was an interesting underlying story about harassment and consent with regard to the fox and the chickens. The chickens are the only female characters ...more
Salamah
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a funny book! I must have cracked up several times while reading this. This story is about Fox, who wants to be big and bad enough to steal chickens but he just doesn't have it in him. He usually ends up getting his butt kicked by the hens. Wolf also is tired of eating rodents and wants a nice plump chicken and devises a plan for Fox to steal 3 eggs from the hen. Fox does and has to sit on the eggs for them to hatch. Finally the 3 crazy chicks hatch and believes that Fox is their mommy. As ...more
Kami
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
- This book was hilarious! It had me laughing out loud from beginning to end.

- Gnome and I both read this but not together. She thought it was really funny too.

- The illustrations are the best! They add a lot to the humor.

- This was a very fun graphic novel that any age would enjoy.
Cheryl
Nov 03, 2017 marked it as library-to-read
Shelves: mobius, okc, more-wi
Compare to Mother Bruce? ...more
orangerful
While you know where this book is going right off the bat, the journey is worth it. Renner's art is great and the fox's antics, it made me think of Looney Tunes cartoons, with Bugs and Daffy running around and getting whacked by things (or each other). Really fun read. Can't wait to see the animated version!
Angela
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't come up with anything just now but if you gimme five minutes I'll have a valid excuse.

This hilarious graphic novel will keep any reader laughing from beginning to end. Great for kids who think they don't like books.
Erin
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Great comic-strip style graphic novel. Very funny and silly, but not much depth beyond that. (And that's okay!)
Maria
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicalnovel
The story of a bad fox but no one knows that she is actually good inside her heat. Very cute story!! The pictures was good too..
Wasif
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-book
A cute story about the fox raising the chicks, instead of eating them protecting them and later being their mom.
Christy Broderick
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg, this juvenile GN was a great read and had tons of humor thrown in! I was giggling every other page. My first read written by Benjamin Renner and I loved it 💕
Fei
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So damn funny and cute! <3 ...more
Anthony
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Fox wants to be the terror of the barnyard. But he can't convince anyone to be afraid of him. An angry chicken, a lazy guard dog, and a wolf all treat him indifferent. When an ill conceived plan by the wolf goes wrong, the Fox finds himself the care taker of three newly hatched chicks. Hi-jinks, laughs, and silliness run a muck in the forest and the barnyard.
Alenka
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This cute panel-less comic follows the struggles of a fox who just wants to be as big and bad as the wolf with whom he shares a forest. The inhabitants of the barnyard next door fail to be afraid of him, and each time he sneaks into the barnyard to try and get a bit of chicken, the big mother hen pecks him back home. Hoping to learn to be big and bad, the fox and wolf sneak some eggs out of the barn, hoping to let the chicks hatch and then fatten up into a tasty dinner. However, when the hatch t ...more
Marina
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
That was so cuteeee and funny comicbook! Love it!
Angela
This is one of the sweetest, funniest children's graphic novels I've ever picked up! The main character is a bumbling red fox who, despite his best efforts to terrify and eat the animal residents of a nearby farm, just isn't capable of being scary. On the advice of his friend (?) the wolf, the fox steals three chicken eggs from the farm to hatch and raise for his next meal. The eggs promptly turn into three baby chicks, who immediately imprint on the fox as their "Mommy." You can probably guess ...more
Army of Penguins
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I signed up for Goodreads and set up my first Reading Challenge goal, I had to make a choice what I wanted to include/count and what not. I settled on including novels (regardless of length) and excluding manga volumes, comics (even trade paperbacks) and graphic novels. That's not meant as some sort of judgment of worth or anything - I enjoy all of those formats, I just wanted to have a tangible goal of how many novels to read in a year (on top of the other formats).

Today, I'm going to alte
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Rat et les animaux moches
  • Blanche Neige
  • Lila, pommes, poires, abricots
  • Sacrées Sorcières
  • Malaterre
  • Panique au zoo : Une enquête de Poulpe et Castor Burma
  • De la Syrie à la Turquie (L'Odyssée d'Hakim, #1)
  • Ces jours qui disparaissent
  • Peau d'homme
  • Je savais que je te rencontrerais (La Rose écarlate #1)
  • Mausart
  • Les carnets de cerise et valentin
  • Bolivar
  • De la Turquie à la Grèce (L'Odyssée d'Hakim #2)
  • Les Indes fourbes
  • Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly
  • La science, c'est pas du cinéma ! (Tu mourras moins bête, #1)
  • Le Livre d'Hector (Les Carnets de Cerise, #2)
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

News & Interviews