Start by marking “All the Ways the World Can End” as Want to Read:
All the Ways the World Can End

All the Ways the World Can End

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Lenny (short for Eleanor) feels like the world is about to end. Her best friend is moving to New York City to attend Julliard and her dad has terminal cancer. To cope with her stress Lenny is making a list of all the ways the world can end—designer pathogens, blood moon prophecies, alien invasion—and stockpiling supplies in a bunker in the backyard. Then she starts to deve ...more
Published July 11th 2017 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about All the Ways the World Can End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Ways the World Can End

Kate Olson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking and quirky, ALL THE WAYS THE WORLD CAN END is a story of preparing for the worst while attempting to cope with the present....all wrapped up in a witty and realistic YA package.

Eleanor's struggles with her father's cancer are tear-inducing and detailed, and her doomsday prep and self-harm are (to adults) obvious cries for help in a time of family turmoil - the reality is that often these things go unnoticed and end up manifesting exactly as they did for Eleanor, meaning they will
Mellisa Rock
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book swept me up in a rush of feelings that honestly I've been trying to deal with in my own family for the last 4 years. My husband's mother succumbed to brain cancer last year. It took me on the journey of Eleanor and her family's battle against her dad's cancer. How would you react? How would you deal? Bury yourself in work? Busy yourself among the living or turn to tactics of pain that are far easier to control when your entire world is spinning out of control. In All The Ways The World ...more
Tissy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF.
I really tried to complete this but the MC is extremely self absorbed and selfish which makes it hard to get into. But then again so are her mother and sister and this is despite the father dying of cancer. It may very well be that her callousness is purposeful but their is nothing edgy or dark about her like Gillian Flynn's character to keep me invested. Instead it just comes off bratty and annoying. The writing is good though so I think others might appreciate this on a level I couldn't.
Mandy
Jun 21, 2017 added it
DNF @ 13%

*I won this in a Goodreads giveaway - thanks so much for the publisher for sending me over a copy!*

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. This was one of the books that I added during a mindless Goodreads adding spiral. So when I won this, I was super excited but also sort of confused because I had no clue what to expect. What I got wasn't anywhere close to what I thought it was going to be.

The first issue was that I felt bored. Like, really bored. A lot of the events together
Kirsty Hanson
I always love reading novels that centre around family dynamics and it's actually one of the types of books that I look for the most. Gone are the days where I want to read about unrequited love all of the time; I want to read about families and the troubles or happiness that they go through. All the Ways the World Can End is one of those books.

Stella Maria
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-for-me
"Nobody was safe. Nothing lasted. Never, in the history of time, could we slow or stop ourselves from self-destruction."

Setting: 3 out of 5 ✩✩✩
The format of the book was interesting. I liked how each chapter began with an explanation of possible ways the world can end, but the topics themselves weren't captivating.

Writing: 2 out of 5 ✩✩
Oh my darling, I SIMPLY COULDN'T DO IT. I really wanted to like it, but I felt like the MC was trying to hard to be cool..? I loved the small bits of diversity a
Amy's Book Reviews
GRADE: C+
3.5 STARS

Lenny copes with her father's cancer and her best friend Julian's imminent move across country by listing ways the world can end. Her anxiety, OCD and self-injurious behaviors are untreated. She has a major crush on her dad's oncology residency, fantasizing about a life with him. As her father's condition deteriorates, Lenny struggles to hold herself together.

You probably wouldn't like Lenny if you met her. She's immature, narcissistic and thoughtless. At times she seemed more
Janay Brazier
I really can't decide between 2 or 3 stars for this. We'll say 2.5 then, shall we? I liked parts of it but overall it just didn't do much for me. There's not much else I can say really...
Carli
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you to the Kid Lit Exchange network for this review copy. All opinions are my own.

⭐⭐⭐✨/5 for this realistic fiction story about a family coping with a cancer diagnosis. Eleanor (“Lenny”) is just waiting for the world to end. In fact, she has an ongoing list of all the ways this might happen. Oh, and a bunker. She has a bunker. And why not? Her sister has abandoned her for college, her mother is always at work, and well, her father is dying. For real. As the family members all cope in their
Amber
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network for the free review copy of his book – all opinions are my own.

I've been mulling over this review all weekend, trying to come up with a good way to put into words how this book made me feel. It was such an emotional, heartbreaking story, but something that also contained a lot of beauty. I think it will resonate strongly with a lot of readers.

Throughout this book Lenny does a lot of "crazy" things, ranging from stealing all the chickpeas from the pantry in
Lauren Tess'x
For me, this book just didn’t do it.

It was one that sounded very intriguing with a beautiful cover. I really wanted to love it!

There were quite a few words I didn’t understand e.g. pembrolizumab.. what is this!?

This is a relatively short book with only 22 chapters and is aimed at young adults.

I don’t usually read young adult novels but this one stood out for me, after reading the first impression, I wanted to read more.
I'm not sure if I struggled because YA isn't my usual genre. I needed a
Teresa
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lenny is trying her hardest to keep it together, even though it feels like she has no support. Her father is dying, her mother is constantly at work (or trying to push a new, clean eating diet on her family) and her older sister has run away from it all to college. Without any support, Lenny clings to the attention she gets from her father's young doctor, a doctor that is keeping their relationship purely platonic.
Lenny broke my heart throughout this book but she was always able to put it back
Krista
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I was not a fan of the main character at all. So great writing I guess? There were many times that I wanted to just shut the book and not pick it up again, but apparently, that is impossible for me to do.

The end was a bit redeeming for the character, but hoo boy, she was a doozy.
Joanne
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. Review to come as part of Mental Illness in YA Month.
Rosemary
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My brother-in-law and father both died of cancer within two years of each other. At some point shortly after both of those events, my sister and I took my nephew to see the movie "Up." Not a great idea, since someone dies, OF CANCER, in the first ten minutes of the film. Needless to say, we were both complete wrecks, and decided afterward that there needs to be an alternative rating system for movies that includes a rating of "C" for cancer.

There's no spoiler in saying that this book needs to h
Jessica Spencer

All the Ways the World Can End by Abby Sher is a cringe-inducing, tearjerking novel for all the right reasons. Thanks to NetGalley for giving me this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

For years, Lenny (Eleanor) has been researching how to cope with the end of the world. She’s taught herself about diseases, black holes and anything else that could threaten our extinction. But while she focuses on the abstract, it really does feel like the world is ending. Her father has terminal cancer and h
Marisa Goldsborough
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
Many, many thanks to NetGalley and Hot Key Books for so kindly providing an advanced copy of “All the Ways the World Can End” by Abbey Sher for an honest review.

I loved it. A raw, honest, beautiful, heart wrenching read.

I was initially drawn in by the beautiful cover and then the description – and I’m glad I was! Having never previously heard of Abbey Sher I didn’t know what to expect….

Achingly sad but beautiful too; this is a delightful, poignant read about friendship and family facing termina
Rebecca
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, reviews
This book is an emotional, erratic (and slightly reminiscent of Bridget Jones if she was young and had a poorly dad) rollercoaster. Eleanor, or Lenny to you and me, is going through a lot right now. Her dad has rectal cancer, his doctor is super cute and she's SURE he fancies her (he so doesn't but she royally embarrasses herself regardless as all of us have done in our time! Bad memories!) and her best friend is leaving town. So how does she cope? She doesn't really. She makes a bit of a mess, ...more
Barbara
It's odd that some other reviewers found this book's protagonist to be self-absorbed and the plot to be dull. I couldn't disagree more. To my way of thinking, sixteen-year-old Lenny (Eleanor Rosenthal-Hermann) is behaving much as might be expected when someone realizes that his/her beloved father is terminally ill. Of course, Lenny grasps at straws and the hope offered by resident Dr. Ganesh, and she makes several embarrassing decisions, even denying just how ill her father is and withdrawing fr ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sher, Abby All The Ways The World Can End, 301 pages. Farrar Straus Giroux (Macmillan), 2017. $17.99. Language: R (21 swears, 2 “f”), Mature Content: PG-13 (death, self-harm, drinking, mild sexual references), Violence: G

Eleanor is having a difficult time accepting that her father is dying of colon cancer. She tries to put it into perspective by concluding that life is not guaranteed, and in fact, the entire human race could be wiped out in a number of catastrophic ways: mass extinction, nuclear
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
Despite being a bit mentally wobbly, I've whipped through this emotional book over the last two days. It was just the sort of heartfeels family drama that I needed.

Lenny's father is dying of cancer. It's a truth she's not quite willing to admit or face, but she knows its true. Her mother is becoming obsessed with wellness and homeopathic remedies, her sister is awol at College and her best friend Julian is coordinating a stage performance ode to Georgia O'Keefe.

The only things holding her togeth
Rebecca Payne
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the ways the world can end, written by Abby Sher is a must read for teens. This book really focuses on Eleanor 'Lenny' Rosenthal-Hermann, our main character, and the relationships she forms with her family and friends and how this is effected by her dads cancer.
The dynamic of Lenny and her dad really changes throughout the story due to him try downplay the severity of the cancer. He really doesn't want to be a burden towards her and doesn't want to take over her life with his condition. The
Girlwithapen93
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
I won a copy of this book at an Allen & Unwin event this year. If it wasn’t for winning the door prize, I would not have ever know this book existed.
The story is about a girl whose father is dying. The same girl is finding it hard letting go of her best friend Julian who is moving to go to the school of his dreams. She is also finding it hard to be herself in a world that seems to be ending sooner rather than later.
There isn’t much about this book that I liked. In fact, I didn’t really lik
Rebekah Crain
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lenny's world has just come crashing down around her. Her dad's cancer isn't getting better- it's actually getting much worse. Her workaholic mother has become totally checked out emotionally, and her sister is away at college. This leaves Lenny struggling to oversee her dad's medical care on her own while juggling her own self imposed teenaged drama.

All the Ways the World Can End is a poignant story that will make you consider your own mortality, if only momentarily. For you see, long before he
Lauren
This book seemed destined to be one of my all-time favourites since I love these kind of "quirky" premises, which promise a mixture of serious topics (the dad's cancer) and fun. Ironically, I think that's where it went wrong for me. I thought the balance between fun and serious was off, making the fun bits more serious than they had to be and the serious bits light-hearted and too much "fun".

And then there's Lenny. While her OCD and self-harm tendencies were done right, I never really sympathis
Hayley
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is devastatingly beautiful.

Teenage Lenny has severe OCD with regards to anything catastrophic (like natural or man made disasters) and is a germaphobe.

This is her coping mechanism because her father is dying of cancer. And her best friend is on the cusp of leaving her for dance school.

I have to admit there were so many moments that I wanted to shake Lenny! In one page she could be tugging on your heart strings by researching drug trials to help her father, the next she's drunk and c
Olivia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's not much in her life that Eleanor, fondly nicknamed Lenny by those closest to her, can control in her life. Throughout the novel I followed the heart-wrenching tale of her father's incurable illness, her awkward encounters with unsuitable love interest Dr Ganesh, and her emotional reaction to her best friend Julian moving away. As her narrative progressed and her world started to come to an end in more ways than one, I just wanted to give Lenny a hug and tell her it would all be okay!

Th
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
The story follows Lenny and her life dealing with her dying father and her obsession with all the ways in which the world could end.

So this was a bit of tough read for me. My mother died of cancer and it brought up a lot of emotions watching through Lenny’s eyes as her dad is dying. I have to give the author credit for handling such a harrowing subject with great care and understanding.

But the actual story was a bit boring in my honest opinion. There were so many tired old tropes in this book.
Virginia Mcgarvey
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old Eleanor Rosenthal-Herman, Lenny, is struggling to cope with her father’s cancer, her sister away at college, a workaholic mother, and her best friend moving across the country. As she feels her life is coming to an end due to the devastating events in her life, Lenny creates a list of apocalypse theories of all the possible ways the world could end. She even builds a secret bunker.
As her world falls apart, she finds herself attracted to her father’s oncologist, Dr. Ganesh, who
Julianna Messina
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had high hopes for this book, and for the most part it met my expectations. I enjoyed the writing style, especially when describing Lenny's anxiety. I think in reality this book is a 3 star book, because although the characters were enjoyable, the ending lacked some answers about most of the characters. I understand that maybe this is do to the "What If" idea that is brought up in this story but I still found myself looking for the rest of the book. The real reason this book will have a specia ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)