Start by marking “Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List” as Want to Read:
Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List

Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List

Eli the dog has been with Astrid since her parents brought her home from the hospital as a baby. Now Astrid is getting older, and so is Eli. Before he slows down too much, Astrid wants to make fun memories with him. So she makes a bucket list for Eli, which includes experiences such as eating with him in a restaurant, and taking him down a slide at the playground.

But in th
Published July 18th 2017 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay

Eve
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
fullsizeoutput_7b9

Such a beautifully told and illustrated book, that really hits home. Astrid starts noticing that her best friend, Eli, is getting old and can’t do what he used to. She decides to create a bucket list of things they can do before Eli gets too old. So sad! I can’t help but think of my senior dogs. Every birthday they have makes me realize how little time we have left together. But! How I can just make the most of each day. Loved this so much. Will be purchasing my own copy for sure.
Kelly
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, animals, sad
Don't read this one at work, unless you're in your own office or something. Beautiful in many ways.
Ama
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not crying. You are crying.
KC
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming story of a young girl and her aging dog Eli and the bucket list they try to complete .
Jillian Heise
Tears & all the love for this book!
Pair with Big Cat, Little Cat; Ida Always; and Always Remember
Janet
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. I'm sitting here sobbing after reading this book. It's a pitch-perfect, sweet, and heartfelt ode to how much pets enrich our lives and how we can give back some of that love they so richly deserve. This would be a lovely gift to give a friend of any age who has just lost a pet or is facing that inevitable moment when she'll need to say goodbye. Sniffle.
Heidi Goehmann
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
So many tears! This book is really sweet. We all loved it at our house and three of us were bawling. Special illustrations and a unique way of portraying the special connection with kids and their pets. I would especially recommend this at the loss of a pet. Beautiful.
Kelly K
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, work-reads
I'm not even a fan of dogs but this clotheslined me right in the feels.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poignantly and gently faces the eventual, inevitable loss of a beloved pet, although the dog is old but still alive at the end of this story.
Jacki
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I cried, and then I CRIED. Perfect for one on one sharing, especially when pets start to age.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool-Grade 2
Astrid and her dog Eli are the best of friends. Ever since Astrid was a baby, Eli was there, loving her, sleeping with her, having fun. As the years passed, Astrid realizes that Eli is slowing down as he gets older. Astrid decides there are so many things that Eli should experience before he becomes an old dog, such as riding down a slide. Who knew that could be so much fun? When Astrid asks Eli, at the end of the story, is there anything at all you want to do? Whatever it is, I'll add it to the ...more
Jana
This is a story that will grab ahold of your heart, especially if you're a pet owner. Astrid has been friends with her dog, Eli, since she was born. As she grows up, though, she begins to notice the effects of aging on her beloved pet. She has many things she would like to do with Eli, before he gets too old. This book might be a good book to help start a conversation about the inevitable loss of a family pet. But the book is kind of tough to read if you're emotional about your pets.
Juliana Lee
Eli was Astrid's first and best friend. But as Astrid grew older, Eli grew even older... for every year Astrid celebrated a birthday, Eli grew six, or seven, or even eight years older. Soon Eli was too old to run and play. Astrid made a bucket list of all the things she wanted to do with Eli before he got too old. Eli enjoyed each one, but his favorite was just being with Astrid. (Death and dying are only implied, but observant readers will understand.)
Lesley Burnap
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For many, their first friend is their dog. Required reading for those who love their pets.
Vern
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. You'll need some Kleenex though
Beverly
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet and touching read especially since we have a cat named Eli.
Sharon Lawler
So poignant. Absolutely rings true. Obviously I know the perfect grand daughter for this book. The sisters Klise hit one out of the park!
Melissa
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: never-grow-up
If you love animals as much as I do then you're going to need a tissue after reading this book.
Katie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, picture-book
oh wow. had to blink away tears while I was on the reference desk. beautiful
Casandria
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story of a girl doing fun things with her dog as he grows older. A total tearjerker!
pati
Gayatri
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A girl, A dog. what else do you need?
Alan
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed this book about dogs, humans, companionship and aging. Get your bucket list... and your tissues ready.
Linda
While I love sweet stories, there aren't many that bring a lump to my throat, and this by Kate Klise is one. Astrid is born in the household where Eli, the dog, lives. She grows up with him, but for every year she grows, he grows six or seven. He's getting old. They do many things together, and when Astrid realizes that Eli is aging, she creates a bucket list of things for him to do before he's too old, like going down a slide and riding behind her on her bike. There is more, in addition to a f ...more
Kate
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool-2nd grade
A love story about a girl and her dog. This would be excellent choice to share with a child whose dog is elderly and you want to reflect and talk about what is to come. Thinking of how to make another happy while not dwelling on the end. The soft pastels of the artwork are fitting for this gentle story. As the owner of a 16-year-old dog, this spoke to me. I need to go right now to make popcorn (do all dogs love popcorn?), and read aloud while curled up next to her.
Michele Knott
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, well, well done, Klise sisters. This book should be in every library collection because readers need it.
Erin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yes, the dog does get older but thankfully he doesn't die in it.
Margie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Are there ever enough minutes in a day? How often have you looked at a clock wondering how the hours vanished? Morning blends into noon; evening seems to approach in a blink of an eye.

If you really want to make very moment meaningful shadow a dog. They are always ready to play and they do so with extreme exuberance. Given the opportunity to be outside, they take it, savoring every smell, taste, sound and movement. Nothing escapes their attention. Every human they see is initially treated equally
Carol
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I made the mistake of reading this at my desk at work. Now I've got mascara running down my face...just wanted to warn you so you wouldn't make the same mistake. Beautiful book but have the tissues ready!
Jae
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
only read this if you are ready to cry about A Very Good Boy and don't read it at work
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture