Start by marking “The Wood” as Want to Read:
The Wood

The Wood

Beware the wood.

Winter didn't ask to be the guardian of the wood, but when her dad inexplicably vanishes, she's the one who must protect travelers who accidentally slip through its portals.

The wood is poisoned, changing into something more sinister. Once brightly colored leaves are now bubbling inky black. Vicious creatures that live in the shadows are becoming bolder, tor
Published August 1st 2017 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Wood, please sign up.
Tia This is fairly standard pricing - I've seen Kindle new releases at $23.99, so this is by no means gratuitous. Keep in mind as well that a person spent…moreThis is fairly standard pricing - I've seen Kindle new releases at $23.99, so this is by no means gratuitous. Keep in mind as well that a person spent likely at least a year (if not more) of their life creating this and I don't think $9.99 is an absurd ask for a year's work.(less)
Tragedy I just finished this book and it definitely needs to be a series.

Start your review of The Wood
K. Elizabeth
**4/5 STARS**

Yes! Another main character with common sense! A sixteen-year-old who doesn't make all the wrong decisions, but rather thinks things through. Ah, this was an extremely refreshing read. But seriously, ya'll. This books needs to be on your to-be-read list, because it's just that imaginative and original.

What I liked: The originality of the story. I plowed right through this, and loved how I felt like I've never read anything like it before. It was unique and written so well for a debu
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
This book definitely surprised me! No one is talking about it, and the cover isn't amazing, so I had low expectations going into it. But the story was so different than I was expecting! It was the perfect blend of modern life, a fantastical forest, time travel, conspiracies and a hint of romance. The main character, Winter, was capable and interesting, with just the right amount of snark. Get this book on your radar - not enough people are talking about it!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"Dad tells me the wood is not a place to play. It is a place for business, and it is more powerful than I could ever imagine. He tells me I cannot forget the rules of the wood. There are three.

Do not travel from the paths.
Do not linger after dark.
Do not ignore the calling."

PLOT ➳➳
Winter's family has long been tasked with guarding The Wood, a magical piece of forestry behind her house that appears normal to non-Guardians... but for Guardians, it is a dangerous, living, breathing place, full of th
Joshee Kun (조수아)
My written interview with the author can be found here.

Charlotte May
Having a rough week so I’ve poured myself a rum and coke and been on a book buying binge including this one.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Wood is a young adult fantasy written by Chelsea Bobulski. It will be published on 8/1/2017 by Feiwel & Friends, an imprint of Macmillan Publisher, paperback, 320 pages. The genres are young adult, fantasy, and fiction. This book is intended for readers ages 13 to 18. This is the author’s debut novel.

My Experience: I started reading The Wood on 5/10/17 and finished it on 5/25/17. This book is an enjoyable read. I like the main character’s determination and self control. I like that sh
Alyssa
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Wood by Chelsea Bobulski
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: August 1, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

After her father goes missing in the woods that they protect, Winter tries to seek the truth in what happened, why the wood is changing, and what it all has to do with the arrival of a mysterious stranger in this thrilling YA debut.

When Winter’s dad goes missing during his nightly patrol of t
Rae
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my book of the month from my Bookloot subscription :) it came with a really awesome handwritten letter from the author on her thoughts while writing this book. It really got me excited to step into the pages of The Wood!

This was a great story!! I really could have used about a hundred more pages of what happens after that ending!! Not that I wasn't so completely happy with that ending though I would have liked maybe to change one little thing;)

I usually get frustrated sometimes when r
Stacee
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok

I was so excited for this book. I loved the cover and the synopsis and because of both, I was expecting epic evilness. What I got was...not that.

I liked Winter well enough. She's smart and driven and seems to have a decent helping of common sense. Her bff Mer was maybe a bit exaggerated and her mom seemed clueless. Henry was definitely the best part of the story. And while I understand why Winter acted the way she did towards him, I think it could have been done just a bit differently.
Aneta Bak
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
The Wood is a very creative story about woods that contain time travelling portals and the guardians that guard the wood and the travellers that enter it.

After Winter's Dad suddenly disappears and the council blames it on him losing his mind in the Wood, Winter takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of her father's disappearance. When a mysterious traveller keeps appearing in Winter's part of the Wood, Winter knows that something is wrong, no one should be able to access the Wood so easily.
booksnpenguins (LIA)
Dad tells me I cannot forget the rules of the wood.
There are three.
Do not travel from the paths.
Do not linger after dark.
Do not ignore the calling.

UltimateAdorableFrillneckedlizard-size_restricted.gif

This turned out actually better than I thought it would be, but I got a bit bored by the romance and the plot was sometimes confusing. Either way, it wasn't a bad read at all.
Dyrk Ashton
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read that evokes a sense of wonder and delight.

I read this because I met the author at a local signing event and wasn't quite sure what to expect. I have a soft spot for YA, and the idea of a magical magical woods right here in present day Midwest America intrigued me.

That said, I loved this book. It's one of those comfortable stories written in an easy but deftly handled style that's great to just settle into and read away with a grin. The premise is that a young woman is charged wi
Kimberly Antill
Wow, there was a lot going on in this book. A magic wood, guardians, "old ones", time travelers, missing parents, a conspiracy, a potential war, throw in an impossible romance and it almost sounds like to much for one high school girl to handle. I know there was to much going on for me.

There were parts of this book that I thought was done very well. I liked the interaction between Winter and Henry. I thought it was interesting and at times humorous as Henry tried to figure out a modern world. Un
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Overall, I really enjoyed this story because it had the right blend of everything without losing the general premise of the story.

The characters were awesome and the author did a great job of bringing the past into the present with Henry. Also, Winter was a great character with common sense (something that is normally missing in YA novels).

The only complaint I would have about this book is the ending. I would have liked for more...especially an Epilogue to give Winter a happily ever after.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight Today I shall do something I rarely do: Start with what I didn't like about the book. Because it kind of matters for the rest of what I have to say? Sure. Okay, so there is some magic involved in this book, and that magical situation allows for time travel. I like time travel a lot, but there are times where I don't fully "get" the rules under which said time travel occurs. That is the c ...more
Sam
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was SUPER GOOD!!! Ugh that plot twist hurt my heart!!!
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
The best way I can describe the feel of the "Wood" world is STRANGER THINGS (re: the dark and creepy The Upside Down setting) with time travel portals. I describe this in mood only. That being said, The Wood tiptoes through every single possible genre.

In any event, I am going to pretend the last 10% of this book did not exist because not only was it a cheese fest, the legitimacy of the decent villain (though was easily known by foreshadowed clues etc.) was led askew by sudden poor decision makin
Kira
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, fae, arc
The cover is misleading. Nothing about this was bloody or gory. It wasn't even dark. It wasn’t a happy story, but I was expecting something slightly more sinister. It was easy to get into the story though. The world was original. A magical forest was part of the fae realm. Portals from various times and places around the world connected to the forest, but it was dangerous for people to pass through them because it could mess up the natural timeline. A select few humans were guardians of the port ...more
Mandy
I'm not even sure I can even pinpoint what went wrong with this book, but I just felt so detached from it. We had all the makings for a great book: an absolutely intriguing concept of a magical creepy wood that is a portal between time and space; a super creepy atmosphere; and what could be a cool romance. However, what I was given? Instalove; a super cartoon villain; a super obvious plot twist; characters that I couldn't really connect with including a main character whose only character seemed ...more
Katrina♡••
Dnf at 60%
2.5*

Its just overly cliché and too damn predictable. I can't. Why should I waste my time when there are millions of other books waiting to be read? No..

description
Kim
“There's a quiet strength in a person who can go on and do what needs to be done even when all hope seems lost."

The Wood by Chelsea Bobulski was an absolute surprise. I went into this book with little to no idea what it was about. This book was given to me by a friend who had also given me "Remember Me," which is also by Bobulski. I am glad she did! Both of these books were stand-alone's and written really well!

The writing style in The Wood was captivating right from the start. Our main Characte

Kirsti
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Darn. I thought this book would be all creepy things moving about in the woods, magic and fairy tale kind of style. Instead I was disappointed by almost everything (except the cover, that is beautiful!) For me things started to unravel the moment Winter meets Henry. This will probably veer into SPOILER territory for a while, but seriously? Here are all the rules to the service of the wood, never break these rules, blah blah blah...oh, sexy!Teenage!Boy! I must immediately break all the rules beca ...more
Sarah Glenn Marsh
If this darkly gorgeous book isn't yet on your radar, IT SHOULD BE.

It's rare that an author can turn a phrase as masterfully as Chelsea Bobulski does in her debut contemporary fantasy. I can only imagine how long it took her to write a novel where every sentence is a carefully crafted thing of beauty.

If you dig:

Time Travel
Mysterious woods
A snarky, independent protagonist
Romance (Oh, the romance!)
Beautiful, dreamlike prose

...then this is the book for you!

Don't miss it!
Chelsea
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason this isn’t a 5 star read for me is because it doesn’t continue on into another book. Maaannnnnnn.....
Rachel
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE WOOD is a unique and alluring and beautifully written tale that grabs hold from its very first page and won’t let go until its last. It invites readers into a world that is enchanting and magical, yet hints of darkness and danger. It is thrilling. It is haunting. It is completely captivating. It is an extraordinary read that promises to leave readers clamoring for a sequel.

When Winter Parish finally learned the secret of the wood and her responsibility for it and for the people who would som
Erin Arkin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
The Wood by debut author Chelsea Bobulski was a book I was immediately drawn into and unable to put down. It had a great mix of interesting characters and a page turning story.

Winter is a guardian of the wood and this definitely complicates her life. I loved how Bobulski blended this supernatural aspect with the normal aspects of a life of a teenager. It truly showed the strain Winter is under trying to complete school while trying to protect travelers now that her father is gone. I liked Winte
Diabolica

Uggggghhhh.... that ending......

Not exactly what I wanted, but I suppose I did expect it.

First, let me say that this cover is absolutely gorgeous. Second, that was one heck of a ride, especially for a standalone. While it was based on something - time travel - which I've read in too many book, I quite liked this book. Albeit, much of what happened didn't happen unexpectedly, I had my suspicious and they were *sometimes unfortunately* correct.

But, I will definitely be looking out for a
KWinks
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was damned near perfect. First, Winter is one of the best female characters I have read in a really long time. She's smart, brave, and layered in her emotions. She also has her head on straight. Then there is the world building, which is pretty awesome. What really blew my mind is how genre-bending it is. It feels like horror, has touches of magical realism, and at points it becomes a fish out of water comedy of errors. There are some really funny parts in this book! I would recommend t ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, physical-2017
Why aren't people talking about this book?? This was such an exciting whirlwind of a story. Fantasy. Slight romance. Betrayal. Mystery. So much is packed into this story that I want everyone to read it!

------------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I won an ARC copy of this book from Twitter earlier this year and could not wait to get my grubby hands on this! Time travels, mystical beings, haunted woods... what doesn't sound awesome about that?!

Short recap: Wi
Suze Lavender
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Winter's father disappears in the wood it's Winter's job to guide lost travelers back to where they're from. This guardianship is part of her heritage. Winter's father never had the chance to complete the instructions he was supposed to give to his daughter, so Winter has to do a lot of discovering on her own. Sending accidental visitors home isn't too difficult, but this changes when the wood becomes darker and more violent. Why is it transforming?

Winter doesn't have to find out more abou

• Prokletá krev
  • Mind Games
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • Winterwood
  • DISNEY·PIXAR Toy Story Adventures (Graphic Novel)
  • The Hollow Girl
  • The Cold Is in Her Bones
  • Quinsey Wolfe's Glass Vault (Glass Vault, #1)
  • Bellamy and the Haunting (Bellamy and the Brute, #2)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Hotel Ruby
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • Zmizení Sáry Lindertové
  • Newbury & Hobbes: The Undying
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Aquaman by Geoff Johns: Omnibus
  • Tarzan of the Apes: The First Three Novels (Tarzan, #1-3)
Chelsea Bobulski was born in Columbus, Ohio, and raised on Disney movies, classic musicals, and Buckeye pride. She’s always had a penchant for the fantastical, the stories that teach us there is more to this world than meets the eye. She has a soft spot for characters with broken pasts, strange talents, and a dash of destiny in their bones. After graduating from The Ohio State University with a de ...more