Start by marking “Another Way to Climb a Tree” as Want to Read:
Another Way to Climb a Tree

Another Way to Climb a Tree

When Lulu's feeling well, she climbs every tree in sight, especially
the tallest ones,
the ones with the widest branches,
the ones with the stickiest sap.

But when Lulu's sick, she's not allowed outside. She wonders if the trees are lonely without her. Maybe the birds are too.

Without Lulu, nobody climbs the trees but the sun. . . which casts a shadow on Lulu's wall. . . for
Published August 8th 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Another Way to Climb a Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Way to Climb a Tree

KC
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute story about a girl who has a thing for climbing trees!
Danielle
Jan 19, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely language and color palette.
Garrett
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
I'm going to be honest, at the line "Lulu grows pale and quiet," I got real worried that this book was about to take a dark twist.
Steph
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable!
Lynn
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one didn't do much for me. OK but not much more than that. Illustrations were nice. Somehow the whole package was just OK.

Who gets chicken pox or measles anymore anyway??
Melissa Mcavoy
3 1/2 stars. Lulu loves to climb trees, but when an illness keeps her inside she finds a way to keep herself in tree climbing shape.

Handsome illustrations make this a fine book especially good for a sick child.
Ms. B
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture
Girl becomes one with a tree in this story that could work for Earth Day, Arbor Day or anytime you want to celebrate the joy of trees. Fabulous illustrations!
Cara
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nkyclear
Lovely, lyrical language and delightful, retro-style illustrations comprise this deceptively simple story that gives readers a new perspective about climbing trees. Scanlon uses plain language to her advantage, allowing the reader to picture and feel the trees, and employs line breaks in a way that makes her prose become poetry in a delightfully rhythmic way, assisted by the repetition of certain phrases. Lulu is an adventurous character to whom everyone can relate when she becomes sick and stuc ...more
Barbara
The illustrations, created with traditional art materials and using printmaking techniques, were scanned and assembled in Photoshop, are lively and eye-catching and draw readers into this picture book. The story itself left me a bit curious about Lulu who seems to seize the moments during which she is feeling particularly healthy and then climb as high as she can in the trees in her neighborhood. It appears that her feats impress all the youngsters in the area, and when she isn't able to go outs ...more
Tasha
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Lulu loves to climb trees. She saves cats, retrieves kites and climbs trees that others won’t. When Lulu gets sick though, she can’t climb trees for awhile. She misses the trees and the trees and birds miss her too. As Lulu looks out of her window, only the sun is climbing the tree. But then she notices the tree’s shadow on her bedroom wall and Lulu realizes that she can still pretend to be high in the branches. Scanlon’s writing is rich and simple at the same time. She speaks about the joy of c ...more
Zoe Polk
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Way to Climb a Tree is a book about a young girl who loves to climb trees. One day when she gets sick and can't go outside to play, she has to use her imagination to climb the trees from her living room. I loved this story because it featured a main character that is underrepresented in children's books, that is, a kid who is sick. Being chronically ill can take a massive toll on a child, so having a book that shows them that they can still live their life and have adventures as long as ...more
Jana
I love Lulu, the plucky little girl in this story about the way we look at things and making the best of our circumstances. With beautiful art and simple text, this book tells about a little girl who loves to climb trees. She climbs trees all the time, to the amazement of everyone in the neighborhood. But when she's sick and has to stay home, she misses the trees terribly. But her sweet, positive attitude and wonderful imagination allows her to enjoy playing in the treetops once again. This book ...more
Jess Verzello
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations, color palette, and paper texture of this book. It shares a fun and imaginative story about climbing trees. Although most readers (and reviewers) may interpret the end of the book as Lulu using her imagination to climb the trees, I interpreted it as being more metaphorical; as if Lulu died at the end as the narration says, "She's here and then she's gone, just like that." More of a somber tone for kids who may struggle with chronic illness.
Linda
Gorgeous illustrations of the great outdoors and TREES! And it's a delightful story of Lulu the tree-climbing girl who climbs all trees, even those that other kids fall out of! She is a whiz, except when she gets sick, and then the trees miss her and she misses the trees. There is one way she finds that connects that title to the story, even when sick! This will make a great read-aloud for young readers.
Deidre
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Basically about a badass kid who rocks tree climbing, and feels super connected to nature. She gets sick though (nothing serious, I think? It's not a heavy book about illness or anything) and can't go outside so she retreats to her imagination looking at a tree shadow on the wall. She's also a redhead, which I love since my own kids are redheads.
Ann
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous book! I love the simplicity of Scanlon's words, how they evoke not only Lulu's personality, but an appreciation of the natural world. The illustrations are striking, color-wise, and also convey exactly what the words seem to convey. One of Liz Garton Scanlon's best books, and that's saying a lot.
Barbara
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lulu loves to climb trees, the sappier the better. She even climbs the trees other kids fall out of! And then she just disappears. When Lulu got sick she couldn't play outside in the trees but she finds another way to climb them anyway! The illustrations in this book make you want to go out and climb a tree yourself. For ages 3 - 7.
Amanda
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I was more hung-up on the fact that it showed her having chicken pox (chicken pox? nowadays? how novel!) than on the cleverness of the ending. It reminded me of something from when I was a kid--back when everyone caught chickenpox as a matter of course, and ALL of the kids did simple things like climbing trees. *sigh*
Christine Irvin
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lulu loves to climb trees. There is not a tree around that she can't climb. She feels a special closeness to the trees. But when she is sick and can't climb a tree, she wonders if the trees miss her. Maybe the birds do, too. She longs to climb a tree, even while she is stuck indoors. But, how can she do that? Spoiler alert: She figures out a way!
Juliana Lee
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lulu climbs trees. All the trees. Even those no one else will climb. But when she gets sick and has to stay inside, she misses her trees. She watches the sun climb the trees. Then the moon. Then she finds a tree shadow on her wall. So she climbs on her bed and reaches the tallest branches on the tree and disappears in its shadows.
Angie Quantrell
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dylan Teut
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes life gets in the way of doing what we love or what we want to do.... but this book encourages readers to use their imagination, and with that, the sky is the limit to continuing chasing dreams.
Mary
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Lulu like to climb trees. When she can't play outside because of illness she pretends to climb the shadow the tree makes on her wall. Readers may be impressed by Lulu's imagination, but will be skeptical that enjoying a shadow can substitute adequately for an actual outdoor experience.
Kate Puleo Unger
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
When a young girl is too sick to go out and play on her favorite tree, she invents a new way to climb the tree – in her mind, in her room. This book was cute.

Sheri
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved tree climbing when I was a kid. Kids aren't doing that as much. This story shows the joy one child finds in climbing trees and what happens when she is ill and cannot go out and climb them. I love her spirit and the trees in this story.
Kelly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little girl loves to climb trees...all kinds of trees, and trees that no one else will climb. Until one day, when she gets sick and can't climb. But her imagination kicks in and she comes up with a new way to climb.
Donna Mork
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about a little girl who loves to climb all kinds of trees. Then one day she gets sick and the trees and birds miss her. Then she realizes she can climb the shadows of the tree on her wall. It's a different kind of way to climb.
Viviane Elbee
This is a good picture book for kids who love climbing trees.
It may also cheer up children who cannot go outside and play (because they are a bit sick) because the heroine finds a way to play her favorite tree climbing activity inside.
Kids enjoyed it.
Lynn
The text took me back to my childhood days of fearlessly climbing trees, and so did the illustrations. I find them a bit dull and simple, like most books from the 60's.
The ending is clever and original.
Eileen Carter
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is all about adventure and imagination. Climbing a tree is all LuLu wants to do. But what will happen when sh e is not able to climb the tree? Will she find a way to do it even though she is sick and stuck in the house?
  • Celebritrees: Historic & Famous Trees of the World
  • As an Oak Tree Grows
  • Plume
  • Now
  • On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
  • Abracadabra, It's Spring!
  • Everyone Is Yawning
  • Everywhere, Wonder
  • Hunters of the Great Forest
  • Hungry Bird
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye
  • And Then Comes Summer
  • Florette
Liz Garton Scanlon is the author of numerous beloved books for young people, including the highly-acclaimed, Caldecott-honored picture book All the World, illustrated by Marla Frazee, and her debut novel for middle grade readers, The Great Good Summer, as well as The Good-Pie Party; Happy Birthday, Bunny!; Noodle & Lou, and several others. Ms. Scanlon is also a poet, a teacher and a frequent & ...more