Start by marking “The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate” as Want to Read:
The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate

The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate

A teen girl starting at a new school is torn between long-held loyalties and a bright new love in this irresistible new YA contemporary romance from the author of A Little Something Different.

Paisley is really looking forward to college. She is ready to take charge of her destiny and embrace some new experiences! Finding a hot guy to make out with at her first ever college
Published July 9th 2019 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate

~ Althea ~  ☾
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Jennifer E. Smith and Kasie West
”This is like Cinderella minus the glass slipper.” ”He’s my Cinderella.”

FORMAT READ: eBook (Kindle)
SIMILAR VIBES: Jennifer E. Smith or Kasie West books
READ FOR: cute & giggly story

⇒MY BLOG⇐
*All my reviews are spoiler-free unless stated otherwise*
*Thank you to Xpresso Tours, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, and Sandy Hall for sending me an ARC to review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

OVERALL: 3.3/5

The beginning and the end are honestly the strongest parts. I’m happy I starte
Candyce Kirk
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
As a big fan of the enemies to lovers trope, I was excited for this book. Our main characters Paisley and Cartner knew each other in middle school, but haven't seen each other since. When they run into each other at their first week of college, there is a spark. Even though they don't realize who they've just seen after many years.

The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate starts off really cute. I love the little pranks and can even understand the feeling Paisley has to get even. Carter take
Michelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate was an ok read. It is a young adult contemporary romance standalone by Sandy Hall. I wanted to love this book so much. It has so many elements that are big winners to me. I love a hate to love dynamic. In fact, it is one of my favorite. And I did really enjoy some aspects of this story, but there were also some character issues that detracted from my enjoyment. Do let me break down what I liked and what I didn't like as much.

Let's start with what I
Catherine Tinker
i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it
Sage Elizabeth
i’ve been excited about this book for a while but now the plot, the title, and the cover has completely changed. does anyone know if she’s still going to the (best) worst scenario or what the title really was.
Katherine Paschal
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance, teen
He doesn’t have any effect on me; he doesn’t matter. That’s my new motto. So what if we have classes together and work together and live in the same dorm? None of that matters. The universe isn’t trying to tell me something. Why would the universe be talking to me anyway? Doesn’t it have more important things to do?

I absolutely loved Carter, he was a really complicated character who fully understood his flaws and mistakes and was willing to own them any way he needed to. He experienced growth an
Kourtni R.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m always looking for quick and fun contemporary romance reads just because they’re usually really light-hearted and something I can get through even if I haven’t been reading a lot. I also love a good enemies-to-lover trope so you can probably see why I wanted to read Hall’s latest.

Let me start by saying that I can absolutely see some readers not liking Carter and Paisley together as I myself had some mixed feelings on them at times. They have moments where they are mean to each other and down
Cyndi Becker
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Shortest Distance Between Love and Hate is a sweet feel-good YA romance that left me feeling a little lighter and a little more hopeful. It serves as a great reminder about the innocence of new connections and a time in life when it's okay to be silly and slightly less than logical. Sandy Hall is a new to me author who I know I'll read more from in the future ( as I already have a book or 2 from her collection).

First-year college students Paisley and Carter start out on the right foot with
Lindsay Montague
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-releases, ya
This was a very quick read, so quick that I read it in one sitting. But being a quick read isn't always a good thing.

Right away I was excited to see that it was set in college. There are not enough YA books that take place in college. I loved the beginning of this book. We jumped right into the story with our two main characters at their first college party during orientation weekend for school. They are soon thrust into a whirlwind romance that only lasts a few days before our female lead, Pais
J.
I received an ARC from the publisher via a friend, with no obligation to leave a personal review.

I generally always enjoy Swoon Reads books on some level, because I am such a huge fan of YA romance, and YA contemporary romance in particular. I love other genres, too, of course, and YA fantasy might even be my favorite, but I am never NOT in the mood for YA contemporary romance.

So I did enjoy this book on that very basic level, but unfortunately, in other ways it really fell flat.

The main thing i
Deekay
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s been a long time since I last reading a YA Contemporary book. And I was so nervous to get back to it again, truly nervous because I was afraid it might not be as good as I hoped for, but I was glad to be proven wrong, because...this book was amazing! I truly enjoyed it, even with some of the parts in the story made me feel ‘meh’ about it.

This is a story of Carter and Paisley, two people who loathed each other due to their past. Back in the days, they were enemies and ever since they grew up
Elizabeth
Michelle (Firstbooklove)
(I received a free eARC from NetGalley and Xpresso Book tours for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own)

Book review: The shortest distance between love and hate by Sandy Hall (3.5 stars)

The shortest distance between love and hate by Sandy Hall
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

(Synopsis from Goodreads)
A teen girl starting at a new school is torn between long-held loyalties and a bright new love.

Paisley is really looking forward to college. She is re
Lisa Mandina
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this up and was immediately sucked in and loving it! There was so much fun with the back and forth between Paisley and Carter. Now, I feel like Paisley really got to taking it too far, but then there were times that I think Carter took his side too seriously or emotionally. I like that in the end, when it really counted, Paisley came out and told the truth about things that were her fault and helped Carter out. I get where he was upset with what was going on in his life, but his whole " ...more
Thindbooks
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
*This arc was given to me by the publisher to do an honest review.*

I gave this book 2 stars because there wasn’t much of a conflict or a good plot. There was instant love which I’m not a huge fan of and I didn’t like how the story was written. The characters acted like they were little kids and the conflict wasn’t a major conflict for this book. I think the story could have ended at page 200 because all the main characters would do is fall in love and then hate each other. There was a part of me
Katie Seehusen
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a hard time with this book, through most of the book it was a 2 star read, but the end bumped it up to 3 stars. Paisley is kind of a terrible person, because of something that happened in middle school she decides to make Carter's life miserable. She won't let go, even her friend who she says she's doing this for, tells her to stop. I'm not giving Carter an out, because he was really mean in middle school, but he was little, but he is now in college, he has grown up. Also, Paisley had no i ...more
Erin Brown
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
caitlin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review copy courtesy of NetGalley.

I’m typically a huge fan of hate to love stories but this one begins with such an unrealistic misunderstanding that it was hard for the rest of the book to get over it. And once that was over, most of the book was basically dueling perspectives of a couple being crappy to each other. Alas, I think it’s a good recommendation for high school readers who may want to dream about what college may be like.
Heather Lynn
Not What I Was Expecting

When I read a description about a girl falling for the bully from middle school, I guess I’m expecting an emotional read. This was not that.

Don’t get me wrong it was cute, but almost too cute and definitely too immature, even for a YA book.

Paisley and Carter have some major growing up to do, and I’m sad that the book spent more time on their childish behavior and not on their relationship.
Manzar (lostpagesofbook) Rzayeva
Aww, the cutest, adorable but at the same time few times making you mad type of book! There are just small things about it that makes you love it so much but at the same few small things that make you take a step back from it. But overall, such an easy/fast to read and cute book :)

Thank you, Fierce Reads for sending the arc and giving me a chance to read and review it!

Full review to come soon
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
2.5 stars. A fluffy contemp, but the MC does some really awful things so it's hard to back her up, and I wasn't quite convinced that the bully has become a good guy. It was fast paced, and there was definitely some witty repartee that was fun, but overall, there are better contemps out there to read.
Hanna Fogel
2.5 stars, but I'll round up. I liked bits and pieces of this one. Cute concept (why I read it in the first place) but not sure how I felt about the execution of it. A lot of threads felt like they were poking out of the "fabric," and I'm not sure (view spoiler)
Viktoria Van der bilt
DNF @ 30%. Ugh, here we go again with the he-said-she-said-but-they-have-the-same-voice tragedy. And are they really in college? Sounds like they’re still stuck in middle school just like the heroine is. Sorry for snapping.
michelle (magicalreads)
read on my blog

**I received an ARC for a blog tour. These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

Making out with you was basically the biggest mistake I have ever made. But the universe is obviously forcing us to be together at every turn. I really hope that we can grow past it and pretend to be strangers who just happen to work together and see each other all the time. We don't have to be friends.

The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate caught my attent
Caroline
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shalini | Book Rambler
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
It started out okay but as it continued I lost interest in the story very soon. The same old enemies(middle-school bully) to lovers trope is in play but it wasn't written well.
Anie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was a roller coaster of emotions. :)

Paisley is looking forward to college. On her first ever party she makes out with this really amazing guy and she is over the moon. He is funny, good looking. All is well until she figures out where she knows him from... Then it all goes to shit. He used to be mean to her best friend and even though he seems like a different guy, she can't forgive him.

So what happens next is prank was of epic proportions. And as the pranks start to seriously affect
Julie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a enemies to friends to lovers story. Paisley and carter both have some history. They both start doing pranks and some of them are just mean to forgetting a class to reporting on someone. I get that they both grew up during this 1st semester at college but I think that both went over board with pranks. They finally find some middle ground and help one another. I do like ray and stef. Overall an okay romance book.
Luiza
rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2019

• Technically, You Started It
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Practically Ever After (Ever After, #3)
  • Midnight Beauties (Grim Lovelies, #2)
  • Malice
  • When Red Cried Wolf (Happily Ever Asher, #1)
  • When She Reigns (Fallen Isles, #3)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend, #5)
  • In Another Life
  • Untitled (Dark World, #2)
  • The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)